THOSE WERE THE DAYS … WHICH ONES? IN THE OLD DAYS WINNING A DOMESTIC CUP MEANT SOMETHING IN EUROPE. WHAT DOES WINNING THE EUROPA LEAGUE MEAN?
1. To be in the European Cup a team had to win the league.
2. If a team was in the European Cup and lost that team would be out of the tournament and would drop into the … oh … no … hang on … that was it. The club would be out of the competition! End of story! What a bizarre set up!
3. If a team won the European Cup Winners Cup it was considered a pretty decent trophy to win.
4. If a team won the EUEFA Cup it was considered a pretty decent trophy to win.
5. It seemed reasonable to have three distinct European competitions.
6. It takes around 100 to 2,000 years to realise that Benfica were a better team than Spurs in the 1962 European Cup semi-final and Benfica deserved to win and they won on merit.
7. These are ‘Spurs Years’. Spurs Years are kind of like dog years but each spurs supporter has a different conversion rate to human years – hence the big window.
8. Some of us do not accept it at all and we think wibbble. No, stop arguing with me, I mean it. Why are you saying that – have you gone mad? Wibble.
9. Some articles refer to days of yore. Which ones?
10. Long gone are the days of assuming we would win a trophy or beat a really big team at a key time as I assumed we would beat Benfica in that semi-final.
11. When did we last reasonably assume we would win any trophy?
12. I understand the needs for 4th place.
13. Despite those needs wouldn’t you love a to win a cup?
14. We are told of the drain of resources in today’s Europa League.
15. Here is the question.
16. In 2013-14 which would you prefer and why: Winning the Europa League or 4th place in the PL?
To help avoid OT comments etc let’s take as a given that:
1. the argument as to whether we would even reach 4th place is to be held elsewhere
2. the argument that we would even have a hope of winning the Europa League is to be held elsewhere.
So: Europa League Champions or 4th in PL and please give your reasons.
Have something to tell us about this article?