Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Healthfarm

What positions do we need top players for?

I am interested to hear others views on which positions they feel need strengthening to turn our team into a team capable to challenge for the premiership and champions league. Don't name names but pick positions that you feel we are weak in. To set the ball rolling here are my thoughts: 1) a top quality, defensively solid, left full back. 2) creative mid fielder capable of scoring say 10 goals a season (unless Vertongen could convert to this role?) 3) the obvious position to fill is a top quality proven striker (would it be too much to suggest 2 new strikers). Is this a pipe dream to expect THFC to shell out some real money? Ok over to you!

2 strikers 1 winger that can play either side as we have Townsend holtby can give us the energy and commitment and be Sandros cover next year and sell Parker Livermore and Dempsey too while we're at it

We don't need a top replacement for Friedel, we already have Lloris, just need a Cudacini type signing again.

My shopping list

Left back

Left Wing

CF

Townsend can be wing backup and hopefully this time AVB will actually use him. We need good cover for Dembele and Sandro. We need to replace Adebayor and Defoe.

Busy summer.

I like the look of Son from Hamburg, can play on either wing, 20 years old, Asian market (nice little earner..), £7m - makes sense.

I know we arent supposed to be naming names but I totally agree, really think this lad ticks a lot of boxes.

AVB and Levy will have some hard decisions to make. We need to offload some players (Friedel, Dempsey, Naughton, Gallas...) to make room.

1. a striker          We have to find a top quality striker.

2. midfielder playmaker      

We are loaded with Bale, Sandro, Parker, Dembele, Hudds, Lennon, Holtby, Siggy, Carroll, Livermore, Townsend.

Livermore and Carroll should be on loan next season.

We have to look for the next Modric/David Silva. A playmaker who can create goals in the final third.

3. a LB.              Ekotto need to get his form back or we have to buy a new LB.

4. a RB              Walker can't play every game

There is always a budget. Last summer we spent on several players because we had the Modric money. If you replace too many players then the money is spread too thinly & you get 4-8m players. If as I hope we all agree we need a top class striker then that will cost money. 15-20m. I would rather buy this top class striker & blow most of the Budget on him & maybe a LW to replace Bale who now plays as second striker. Any more and you will not get the top striker we so desperately need. If we had someone scoring goals as the main striker then there would be less pressure on the other positions as we would score more goals and that would take the pressure off.

We should have Townsend & maybe a few other youngsters breaking through. Walker & caulker should continue to improve.

The main thing though is not selling Bale.

It will be a very interesting summer. It's another one like last summer and the one before where if we really go for it in the window we can establish ourselves in the highest eschelons of the league. What we need above all else is the thing we had when we got CL football, and thats strength in depth. Take Kranjcar or Pav as examples, they couldn't get a kick for the large part of their Spurs' career but if we had them this season they would have walked into the side and improved it. Recycle the deadwood for quality!

It will be a very interesting summer. It's another one like last summer and the one before where if we really go for it in the window we can establish ourselves in the highest eschelons of the league. What we need above all else is the thing we had when we got CL football, and thats strength in depth. Take Kranjcar or Pav as examples, they couldn't get a kick for the large part of their Spurs' career but if we had them this season they would have walked into the side and improved it. Recycle the deadwood for quality!

What I would do to have Niko and Pav back in the squad!

First ever post from me.

1, 1 or 2 strikers depending on if we can get rid or ADE, ima big fan do Defoe but we need someone who we can rely on getting us goals consistently.

2, a winger who can play either sides, AVB certainly like bales in a more central role we need a winger who can pacey down the left or who we can swap Lennon on the right with when he injured or his final balls not working for us.

3, DC who can also cover Walker on the right.. Someone like vertonghen who's a DC and covered our LB position. (have a sniff around vertonghen old club..hehe)

First ever post from me.

1, 1 or 2 strikers depending on if we can get rid or ADE, ima big fan do Defoe but we need someone who we can rely on getting us goals consistently.

2, a winger who can play either sides, AVB certainly like bales in a more central role we need a winger who can pacey down the left or who we can swap Lennon on the right with when he injured or his final balls not working for us.

3, DC who can also cover Walker on the right.. Someone like vertonghen who's a DC and covered our LB position. (have a sniff around vertonghen old club..hehe)

We have Kaboul who can do that for us .I think we definetly need two strikers to go with defoe and ade has got to be sold.

First ever post from me.

welcome to my board   ninja.gif

proper LB and RB who don't do stupid things as often .

Strong back up to Sandro replacing Parker with thanks

2nd striker keeping JD, developing the youngsters in domestic cups and reserves,

Townsend as the LW, Lennon on the RW,  we have people who can fill in but if Lennon continues to be prone to pulls etc then we need a replacement RW and get rid of Lennon, the medical staff should be able to answer that one.

Id get rid of Friedel, Gallas, BAE, Parker, Livermore if we get the replacement above, Ade, and possibly Dempsey depending who we get in.

Lloris Daws and Kaboul our CB pairing Walker or replacement and replacement LB     Sandro, Lennon or replacement, Hudd, Dembele , Bale, new CF or JD

I think the CL place will determine what we spend, if we don't get in I reckon it will be a top striker and fullback, but with being in CL I think Levy will push the boat out and go for striker, winger/forward, midfield playmaker and fullback. I know everyone wants a replacement for Modric but before we lost Sandro we looked ok, if Sandro can play as well as last year then it would allow us time to develop Holtby and Carroll.

You can just see it now, the season begins and Spurs are still trying to find that world class striker.

Window would still be open, right?  Why would Levy buy a day before he had to.............:rolleyes:

The last time we qualified for the CL we never spent a penny.

Plus if we finish 4th, we have to qualify through the knock out round, so CL is guaranteed until the final week before the window shuts. So another transfer deadline 

special...

It sure appears that there are more "big" names then "big" sides to pay them?  I know we are not in first tier, but are we at least second tier?

We should have enough in the qualifying round if Levy spends some cash on a few decent players to bolster our squad. He needs to take a chance this time and we might just be able to play CL more often.