Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Healthfarm

What positions do we need top players for?

It sure appears that there are more "big" names then "big" sides to pay them?  I know we are not in first tier, but are we at least second tier?

Definitely second tier. We just have to stop chasing lost causes, broaden our scouting system and start picking up some young talents who could become the next best thing.

We should have enough in the qualifying round if Levy spends some cash on a few decent players to bolster our squad. He needs to take a chance this time and we might just be able to play CL more often.

We have the money, lets not forget we use to have four strikers, the club sold three of them and never once put that money back into finding suitable replacements. We never lost money on Crouch or Pav, or even Keane.

But Levy got a bloody 400k bonus this season, how does that happen?

maybe he got a bonus as he's exceeding the aims and expectations of Joe Lewis (or whoever owns the company)  .

After all we are in a very strong financial position and if we got CL this season would put us in a superb position compared to 16 of the other PL clubs (excl MU, MC and Chelsea) .

Fact is we SHOULD have got CL last season, Levy didn't blow it, the players and coaching staff blew it, could say the same about the previous season, both times we've been there and screwed it up , Levy could have splashed the cash and we may still have screwed it up we'll never know but we can't rightly assume that just because he didn't splash the cash is THE reason for us missing CL .

Both times the staff (manager especially) mentioned us challenging for the title with the players we had after the Jan window, so how can the manager say that, and mean it as Harry did, and we then suggest our squad wasn't good or strong enough for CL qualification (and we knew 4th might not be good enough ages before we 'settled' for it)

Levy did blow it because he sold key squad players in January and weakened the side.

He expects CL football on mid-table prices.

Everyone blew it, the club, the manager, the coaching staff and the players.

right, everyone blew it, I can agree, then Harry is touted as England manager and a sad loss to Spurs, the players are still lauded or missed (Modric/VDV) ,  yet Levy is to blame and seems to get little praise .

I know what you mean and I partly agree, I thought when we did get CL we would invest more and if we had who knows, but others have and ended up shit creek (Newcastle, Blackburn (tho a bit different), Leeds) , we didn't invest but are still there and very strong financially so I can also understand Levy etc wanting CL for maybe two seasons ideally consecutive so we gained a reputation of being there on merit not a one season fluke so bringing players to us perhaps easier, though that doesn't work for Arsenal still it seems.

We have had steady growth, shrewd investment, we have a very very solid foundation under the club now, Chelsea /City lose their sugar daddies and they'll be plummeting down the table and into admin, if UEFA really turn the screws with the financial rules (which they probably wont as Germany is doing so well and not breaking the rules) then the aforementioned two teams should end up being banned from UEFA competitions , we have no worries, no sugar daddies, just a strong solid foundation that we wont be falling off of for many years and for that Levy etc deserves more praise than he ever gets.

We are disappointed now if we don't get top 4, every game truly matters, the 38th game is vital (OK Id prefer to already have top 3 secured before then ) but previously our last 8 games were meaningless , now theyre vital, its brilliant, give me Levy anyday,  yes I agree Id like a tad more investment and earlier aims and dealings , but I really enjoy the stresses of every match mattering.

Probably get some grief for this but I don't think townsend is anywhere near good enough for a Spurs squad hopefully competing in the Champions League whilst still maintaining a strong top4 league challenge....

Probably get some grief for this but I don't think townsend is anywhere near good enough for a Spurs squad hopefully competing in the Champions League whilst still maintaining a strong top4 league challenge....

grief grief grief grief

He has been QPR's best player, might not be saying much. But without him QPR would have been relegated for certain weeks ago.

He has been QPR's best player, might not be saying much. But without him QPR would have been relegated for certain weeks ago.

still doesn't change my opinion of him (Jenas has been their second best player yet he couldn't get a game while at Forest) but then again it's not like we can afford to spend 10-15 million on a player(s) who are squad players so we may just have to make do

still doesn't change my opinion of him (Jenas has been their second best player yet he couldn't get a game while at Forest) but then again it's not like we can afford to spend 10-15 million on a player(s) who are squad players so we may just have to make do

Have to agree dommo, I'm yet to be convinced by Townsend. He just seems too greedy and never gets his head up. I hope I'm proved wrong as we could really do with cover out wide. Granted he has looked decent at QPR but whether he's good enough to be a top premier league player...I'm not sure. 

I am interested to hear others views on which positions they feel need strengthening to turn our team into a team capable to challenge for the premiership and champions league. Don't name names but pick positions that you feel we are weak in. To set the ball rolling here are my thoughts: 1) a top quality, defensively solid, left full back. 2) creative mid fielder capable of scoring say 10 goals a season (unless Vertongen could convert to this role?) 3) the obvious position to fill is a top quality proven striker (would it be too much to suggest 2 new strikers). Is this a pipe dream to expect THFC to shell out some real money? Ok over to you!

1) Agree... Fabio Contraeo is reportedly up for sale this summer.

2) This is Gareth Bale no?

3) Yup... Hulk could be available cut price as he wants out of whatever wierd russian club it is he joined.