Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Whitehartdave55

Man at post?

I wholeheartedly agree that there should be 2 guys on the post and these are usually the 2 smallest players, in our case Lennon and possibly BAE. don't think they would have prevented the goals even on the sticks and sometimes they cause more harm than good either with a handball, being sent off and giving a penno away or getting in the way of the keepers dive.

It Is a tough one as obviously some times they would save goals from corners but we should not be letting the attacking team get free headers in the first place.

p.s  by the way, does anybody think know in this day and age it is a waste of time having a wall at free kicks. I mean surely a keeper would fancy his chances saving a shot which he can see all the way off the boot rather than being unsighted for the initial part of the shot

For me at corners we should leave Lennon, Bale and Defoe upfield, spread across the pitch, maybe Bale halfway in our half , Lennon and JD on the halfway line.

Then the opposition would have no choice but to keep at least 4 guys (5 to be safer) back to defend V the three speediest players we have.

Those 3 V 4 or even 5 non defenders (as most of those will be up for the headers at the corner) great chance of counter attack, Bale has excellent first touch and instant control to set the other two off , less men in defensive box, more room for keeper and defenders to attack and deal with ball .

Our issues often are theres too much going on, the box is too busy and we cant always get to the ball/ defender , plus when it is cleared theres nobody there to receive it or turn it into attack , my solution is one approach to this, and worth trying on the occasion esp if we chasing game, but Id use it more often as it will work, let the defenders defend.

the leave 3 up top point at corners is a valid point however that depends on who can take the biggest risk, as in sometimes the opposition will go forward and you have to track back. it is mind games. are they willing to stay back and defend 4 against 3 or will they send the defenders up anyway, I think it is virtually common place now in football in general that you leave 1 up top with 1 marking behind and 1 in front picking up the loose ball.