Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
CigarGuy

AVB

You guys understand tactics better than I do. With that said,

some are questioning his side selection(s).

Do you think he's just dealing with the "square peg, round hole" thing like some

of you have said and Levy will sit down with him and get the type of players that

can exploit his tactics better then the squad he inherited from 'Arry?

His tactics really showed him up today, because he went with 442, took forever switching the ineffective Bale to the wing, knew the midfield 2 were getting overrun and never reacted.

Continues to pick injured players, Harry unfairly gets a bad wrap tactically, but AVB on many occasions has made even more bizarre decisions but gets away with it because he's Portuguese. 

His tactics really showed him up today, because he went with 442, took forever switching the ineffective Bale to the wing, knew the midfield 2 were getting overrun and never reacted.

Continues to pick injured players, Harry unfairly gets a bad wrap tactically, but AVB on many occasions has made even more bizarre decisions but gets away with it because he's Portuguese. 

It was only a short while ago that we we're hailing AVB for changing the playing style against Man City. I think he's far more tactically astute than Redknapp. Sometimes during a game there isn't a solution, sometimes you can try and change the style or formation etc and the other team just soak it up and adapt. Yesterday seemed like one of those games. 

It was only a short while ago that we we're hailing AVB for changing the playing style against Man City. I think he's far more tactically astute than Redknapp. Sometimes during a game there isn't a solution, sometimes you can try and change the style or formation etc and the other team just soak it up and adapt. Yesterday seemed like one of those games. 

I'm not entirely convinced he is better tactically than Harry, AVB has his moments but over the course of the season he's been hot and cold.

Yesterday there was a solution, 442 wasn't working, Bale in the middle wasn't working and he should know our players are best suited to 433.

I bet AVB has never said "just go out and enjoy yourselves" like Mr.H.Redknapp did.....

I think that it's no coincidence that Bale has been the Premier League's top player this season and his game has obviously developed to a new level since AVB took charge.

I'm not entirely convinced he is better tactically than Harry, AVB has his moments but over the course of the season he's been hot and cold.

Yesterday there was a solution, 442 wasn't working, Bale in the middle wasn't working and he should know our players are best suited to 433.

I agree that he's been hot and cold and I'm definitely not saying that Harry was always wrong tactically but I feel like AVB is more proactive and does try to change the game and the system....although, he doesn't have an awful lot of options on the bench and apart from Lennon and Bale, we lack a flexibilty in our starting 11 right now. I think if he gets his way and adds a bit more creativity and flexibility we will see AVB really outfox opposition managers on a regular basis. 

I bet AVB has never said "just go out and enjoy yourselves" like Mr.H.Redknapp did.....

I think that it's no coincidence that Bale has been the Premier League's top player this season and his game has obviously developed to a new level since AVB took charge.

What Redknapp says 5 minutes before a game shouldn't be indicative of his management style.

A talent like Bale would always improve, AVB has worked wonders for him, but so did Harry, after all he took a jinxed left back and turned him into an attacking superstar.

I agree that he's been hot and cold and I'm definitely not saying that Harry was always wrong tactically but I feel like AVB is more proactive and does try to change the game and the system....although, he doesn't have an awful lot of options on the bench and apart from Lennon and Bale, we lack a flexibilty in our starting 11 right now. I think if he gets his way and adds a bit more creativity and flexibility we will see AVB really outfox opposition managers on a regular basis. 

AVB looks, speaks the part very well, he's foreign, good looking and very professional. I'm sure he's more tactically minded than Harry, but I haven't seen anything this season to suggests he's on another level. Remember fans slaughtering Harry for playing 442? AVB has played that formation most of the season, whilst Harry used 4231.

I'm guessing our preparation is more thorough, but there's been plenty of times when I truly don't understand what AVB was thinking. Remember when he played Benny left wing, Vertonghen LB?

But like Man City home, AVB has made some fantastic changes and addressed certain problems. The way he handled himself as soon as he took over, apparently according to the press he only had 6 games to save his job and look how that planned out. 

He's done a fantastic job, just like Harry did, but there's been plenty of instances where I really don't understand what he's doing. lol

What you are forgetting is that AVB is in his first season & Harry was not only experienced but was here a few years. Not everything he tries will work & he is limited but what players he has. However the players have mentioned the extra tactical discussions and that they can play in 3 different positions during a match. I think that whatever the outcome of this season, AVB has made a good start. When we qualified for CL we got 70 points & last year 68. We have 65 points and if we lose wednesday we may well fall apart as CL will be gone but even 65 points from a season when we sold Modric & VDV from a Manager's point of view must be a good start.

I think AVB is doing more tactical changes in the match than Harry but the question is why AVB can't get the starting lineup right. Most of the games we have a terrible start.

Harry done a wonderful job on many players. He got an eye for talent. He said that Rose should be a leftback. He's probably the only manager who get the best out of VDV, Crouch, and Ade.

Would anyone swap AVB for Benitez?

I actually think Benitez is the better manager than AVB. However, Benitez always fight with the broad and the managerment. He is very ambitious so he want his team to win titles, not challenge top 4. He is good but not a good fit for us.

How about Moyes comparing to AVB this season?

Regardless of the manager fans will complain and tactically they will always know more than the man in charge... Harry had his ups and downs but overall he was good for the club during his time there just like Jol was. Hopefully AVB will improve us further but the amount of money we have to spend this summer will dictate that really. We are a business but unfortunately three of the teams above us are not.... chelsea finished behind us last year so the sell no one and splash £80 million on a few new players to improve.... that's never going to happen at the Lane. 

Tactics aside we now fight and no longer roll over for teams... something Spurs sides have been missing for yearrrrrrssssssssssssss...