Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
deadleyledley

Euro U21 Champs

Watched the 2 games yesterday, first was exciting thought Norway would have won if they had 11 men. Harmeet Singh came good at the end, they will be tough to beat.

England game was shocking. Probably the worst England U21 team I have seen. They will be much better with Rose, Ince and Zaha back. Townsend would have made a big impact. Lots of overrated players in that squad. Not sure what the love in with Liverpool players and Pearce is, never rated Pearce as a coach.

Did England win?

Pearce is a shit manager/coach who has the wrong mentality. Pearce once said that England can't play like Spain (pass and movement) because it's not in our DNA...Erm did Spain always play that way? Why can't you change Stuart? Surely the DNA of English football needs changing because we've not been very successful you fucking prat.

It's impossible to produce good young players in Britain. They are all ruined by the time they are 10 by over ambitious dads and "coaches". I know I sound like "Ron Footballmanager" but when I was a kid you just played in the street with a tennis ball or a tin can. The only adult watching us play were the school teacher who got lumbered with running the team. You had to develop yourself then, kids with talent came through as they had had to think for themselves and not "play short", "get goal side" and any other thing the wally running their youth team and dads shout at them. Over coached to mediocrity that's us and that's without the video games and drugs. 

It's impossible to produce good young players in Britain. They are all ruined by the time they are 10 by over ambitious dads and "coaches". I know I sound like "Ron Footballmanager" but when I was a kid you just played in the street with a tennis ball or a tin can. The only adult watching us play were the school teacher who got lumbered with running the team. You had to develop yourself then, kids with talent came through as they had had to think for themselves and not "play short", "get goal side" and any other thing the wally running their youth team and dads shout at them. Over coached to mediocrity that's us and that's without the video games and drugs. 

Scouts, football coaches only care about your size, strength and speed. Big lads at the back or centre forward, your small technically gifted players pushed out wide or on the bench. Why can't a small kid play CB? Why can't a small kid play CM? Why not let kids play in different positions and learn different skills?

Big pitches, big goals, small bodies and overbearing parents/coaches who just want to win at any cost. During my younger days me and my best friend would stay out till dark playing football, these days kids play PS3 and the streets seem more dangerous for kids to run around.

Also the lack of coaches doesn't help, whilst our football manual needs a complete overhaul as the FA's been too arrogant to change. Remember the old football manual they use to teach for your coaching badges? They would teach young inspiring coaches to tell their players to just lump it forward and work off the flick on's.

England wasted Glenn Hoddle.

England wasted Paul Scholes.

England wasted Matt Le Tissier.

If you can't master the ball, the ball will master you - as England find out in every tournament. 

Great post turk. I was 16 at Cov city and it came to decisions on YTS. Richard money (Now Luton manager) said I was the most technically gifted player in my age group but Gordon strachan wanted big physical athletes. I soon went to college and there academy and played under a portugese coach. Best coach I have ever worked with and all he coached us was ball retention and passing and movement. Most sessions we used a futsol ball so when it came to using a bigger balk we could manipulate it how we wanted. Our team went 2 years undefeated and won league an cup double. A top coach will ingrain and educate a good footballer. Like posts before why do you have to be 6 foot to play in the centre? If you retain the ball you make more chances and have more control on games, it's bot rocket science. Pass the ball to marked players and let them deal with it. All things kids should be coached

The whole philosophy of football needs to change asap in this country or we will be fooked big time, the passing ability of the senior England team is embarassing to watch at times, so called top players on 100k or more a week struggling to make simple 5-10 yard passes. Never mind our usual quarter final slot we usually make we will be struggling to qualify for W-Cups and Euros in the next couple of years. Where are our U21 players? Oxlade-Chambailan, Walker, Rodwell, Phil Jones, Wilshere, Sterling, Mcmanaman, Welbeck, Luke Shaw?  We would have a good chance if they were playing. It's bollox !!!!

My feeling is that in view of fact that recent senior matches were friendlies that we should have selected our strongest squad. The experience of them playing together under tournament conditions would help if not for the next World Cup but the one after. The clubs might moan but that should be ignored. if we actually had a strong enough squad to compete or even win then the lift this would have given the individual players will pay dividends in future years and increase our chances of actually ever winning the World Cup again.

missed opportunity!

Things will never change until clubs are forced to play young English players. Good young prospects development is haulted at 16 and many are lost in the reserves. Unless we cap amount of foreign players in a starting 11 it will never change. A 6-5 balance of six English players and 5 foreign players should help. Can't keep having England manager turn up to watch 1-2 English players on the pitch in a prem game. Even if we qualify for works cup it will be a waste of time. Not one of our midfielder players today received the ball on the half turn and slide 5-10 yard passes between the lines. Big boot up to wickham to win the flick on. I was embarrassed

I say bring back Peter taylor I actually enjoyed watching the u21s when he was in charge they played good football.

Bloke managed the under 19's or something, with our very own Chris Ramsay who looks after our under 21's.

I thought Pearce chose a shit squad why aren't we putting a good young team out we could of put better out than what he did no Carroll ox wilshere shaw etc etc. Actually winning an international tournament could be valuable experience but people over here as per usual treat it as Mickey Mouse . Pearce is a shit coach England always set up not to lose,perfect example vs brazil went 1 down changed the shape went more offensive and actually performed ok I thought . The mentality and coaching must change and so must the kind of people who we have in the fa running the game that make mistake after mistake they have no clue about the game.

Scouts, football coaches only care about your size, strength and speed. Big lads at the back or centre forward, your small technically gifted players pushed out wide or on the bench. Why can't a small kid play CB? Why can't a small kid play CM? Why not let kids play in different positions and learn different skills?

Big pitches, big goals, small bodies and overbearing parents/coaches who just want to win at any cost. During my younger days me and my best friend would stay out till dark playing football, these days kids play PS3 and the streets seem more dangerous for kids to run around.

Also the lack of coaches doesn't help, whilst our football manual needs a complete overhaul as the FA's been too arrogant to change. Remember the old football manual they use to teach for your coaching badges? They would teach young inspiring coaches to tell their players to just lump it forward and work off the flick on's.

England wasted Glenn Hoddle.

England wasted Paul Scholes.

England wasted Matt Le Tissier.

If you can't master the ball, the ball will master you - as England find out in every tournament. 

Great post turk. I was 16 at Cov city and it came to decisions on YTS. Richard money (Now Luton manager) said I was the most technically gifted player in my age group but Gordon strachan wanted big physical athletes. I soon went to college and there academy and played under a portugese coach. Best coach I have ever worked with and all he coached us was ball retention and passing and movement. Most sessions we used a futsol ball so when it came to using a bigger balk we could manipulate it how we wanted. Our team went 2 years undefeated and won league an cup double. A top coach will ingrain and educate a good footballer. Like posts before why do you have to be 6 foot to play in the centre? If you retain the ball you make more chances and have more control on games, it's bot rocket science. Pass the ball to marked players and let them deal with it. All things kids should be coached

Absolutely Agree with both comments!!!!!

Technique always comes second in this country after athleticism. The number of players that have gone under the radar that could have improved the style of football is embarrassing. 

I didnt see the game today, but my dad told me that England were dogshite.

Top post from Turkish.  I couldn't agree more about the absolute waste of genuine talent this country has let slip through.  The physical part of the game is just one attribute.  Even players these days look more like 100M runners, all pumped up.  The ability to think and make micro split second decisions that involve probability of movement is something that separates the average from the best.  It's not just about covering distance in a game but about what you are doing for the team in terms of efficiency.  The brain is mightier than the sword!

As I said yesterday  we should  pick our strongest team that are eligible and ignore it if they are playing for the first team. Playing in tournaments like this away from home are different. The senior side has not won anything since 1966 & it is time to take these competitions seriously. If we had won it the benefits and lift it would have given us would definately help the senior side in the future.

Look at Spain they won this a few years ago and mainly the same players went on to win the World cup.

I'm not Stuart Pearce's biggest fan, but the FA are the biggest idiots going and let me explain.

This was a big tournament for our young players, as most of you are probably thinking a great way to gain experience right? More meaningful than a friendly in Brazil? But it appears not...

Walker, Jones, Ox, Wellbeck, Wilshere, Cleverly, Shaw all should be playing for the under 21's, some where injured others chosen by the first team which is a lack of respect for the tournament. Our young players need that experience, it's vital for our growth and development, but what it says is how desperate we are needing to call up under 21 players that hardly play senior football. 

Tom Carroll doesn't deserve a call up, he hardly played last season, but he's definitely good enough. Pearce didn't even know who he was, nor did any of his advisers at the FA, Sherwood had to explain to them all about him. This quote from 2011 sums Pearce up and why he shouldn't be in charge of youth development and under 21's....let alone coaching.

Pearce acknowledged England did not do themselves justice on Sunday but insisted that did not mean they should throw out the baby with the bath water.

He said: "I'm not going to get washed away by the fact Spain had 59% of possession - that will happen when we play Spain at any level, from under-17s to senior level, and in 50 years' time we'll be sitting here having the same conversation.

"But what you can't lose sight of is the individual strengths and trends of each nation at tournaments such as this. We all have our DNA as nations, whether you're Spanish, Italian, English, German. We all play in a certain way that the public demands in that country and probably the breeding and the climate that you train in as well.

"We have to learn lessons from other nations and try to learn lessons from them to improve us but never lose sight of the DNA of our nation, and the strengths of our individual players. The strengths are they never ever throw the towel in and we use that as a strength.

"But you've also got to use the other aspects of the game as well.''

Pearce refused to confirm whether captain Michael Mancienne - or any of his players - would play in the second match. But it would appear Jack Rodwell is in line for a recall after impressing from the bench on Sunday.

The goalkeeper and back four look assured of their places, as do Jordan Henderson, Daniel Sturridge and Danny Welbeck. That would leave Mancienne, Cleverley, Fabrice Muamba, Marc Albrighton, Danny Rose and Scott Sinclair to compete for the final two spots depending on form and tactics.

Was amazed to read that only 35 players eligible for this tournament played in the Premiership this year. It's hardly surprising we were so bad. Whats so sad is that we would expect Norway to be organised and athletic but not technically better than us. The current Spurs U21 would trash that shambles, they all look better on the ball than most of them and have better movement.