Spurs Web
Deggsy56

SPURS WORST PLAYERS OR BAD TRANSFERS

Justin Edinburgh.

Terry Fenwick - who had the astonishing ability to tell his team-mates how shit they were playing without realising how shit HE was playing.Followed Venables everywhere,although strangely enough,not to Barcelona.

Paul Stewart before we converted him to a midfielder.

Gordon Durie.

Ronnie Rosenthal

Mitchell Thomas - lost us the 1987 cup final because he was obviously so nervous and Coventry's Dave Bennett had a field day against him.A decent enough player for Luton but looked out of his depth in our magnificent 86/87 squad.

Jason Dozzell.

John Scales

Ben Thatcher

Chris Perry

Jamie Redknapp

Agree with most of those...Edinburgh was a decent servant for the club and gave it his all. Perry was also limited but was partnered by Doherty Gardner and Bungy who were all awful, so Perry never really had a chance. Durie was ok too IMO. Redders had his moments but injuries meant he was limited. 

The others i completely agree with.....especially Dozzell. He was such a let down. Hated Ben Thatcher with a passion....I love a proper, old school committed player but I hate a thug. Ben Thatcher was an out and out thug.

oh where oh where do we start.

bobby mimms

dean austin  

jason cundy   

gary doherty   

timothy athouba

jason dozzell  

gregor raziak

stuart nethercott

to name a few

Remember Edinburgh running back to clear a certain goal off the line with an overhead kick - can't remember who against. Incredible clearance.

I remember that!!! 

Unbelievable clearance, got a feeling it was against Aston Villa. Don't quote me on that but I remember listening to the commentary on Capital gold with Jonathan Pearce and he described the clearance as impossible......showing my age there....I do kinda miss listening to the matches on the radio.

£3.3 Million for 5 games.....has to be 'Ricardo Rocha', horrific signing in my opinion. I also had a huge dislike for 'Taricco'

Forgot about rocha....he was pretty useless. Scary that someone at the club thought he was worth £3.5m!

Worst players I have seen were willie young and the man who could not run Bassong Best players for the club Mackay Beal Perryman the great Oz Thorsvedt Mabbutt Roberts Sheringham Klinsmann Big mike England King Gilly gilzean and who would leave out the unsung players Galvin Coates Pratt Taylor And both the Allens if you can get 50 mill for Torres then god knows what you would have got for Smith Greaves or Lineker they consistently scored and is nt Allens 62 goals still a British record even if they were against poorer oppositions And can anyone remember the Duke or Brooks Jones and the ghost Whitey Even Mullers and squirrel the best ever left back in British football And our greatest ever keeper big Pat Jennings Well how well do you recall the greats

Worst players I have seen were willie young and the man who could not run Bassong Best players for the club Mackay Beal Perryman the great Oz Thorsvedt Mabbutt Roberts Sheringham Klinsmann Big mike England King Gilly gilzean and who would leave out the unsung players Galvin Coates Pratt Taylor And both the Allens if you can get 50 mill for Torres then god knows what you would have got for Smith Greaves or Lineker they consistently scored and is nt Allens 62 goals still a British record even if they were against poorer oppositions And can anyone remember the Duke or Brooks Jones and the ghost Whitey Even Mullers and squirrel the best ever left back in British football And our greatest ever keeper big Pat Jennings Well how well do you recall the greats

Phew! Out of breath now! ;-)

Yeh! Pity we could not link the better ones together in one squad then we would not need to mention crap What about a player called Peter Beadle he could not hit a barn door then what Ziegler who changed positions and now plays for the swiss team

Ziegler was ok, lacked speed but technically good.

The worst transfer in Tottenhams history has to be when whoever owned spurs sold it to SUGAR his apprentices at Enic have no thought for class otherwise why sell your best players If a player is under contract then he should at least PLAY Well enough Get rid of agents

The worst transfer in Tottenhams history has to be when whoever owned spurs sold it to SUGAR his apprentices at Enic have no thought for class otherwise why sell your best players If a player is under contract then he should at least PLAY Well enough Get rid of agents

Irving Scholar, and he nearly drove the club into the ground. Sugar isn't given the credit he deserves and ENIC have made us a business that isn't spiralling into debt like so many others. 

Erm...Nigel. If Sugar hadn't bought Spurs when he did, there would be no Spurs. We were days from going bust.

To AndyCLS and others You are probably right about Sugar but he and ENIC are like this government We needed change after scoular and yes vital money injection but what real interest does he or Lewis have in the club. Tottenham Hotspur was founded by workers and most of us fans still are Like all football clubs they live like we do on a shoestring because the management recoup the lions share of the profits You don't think these businessmen and oligarchs know or care about football sorry but its true but getting back to the topic Surely Postiga was the worst of all

Sorry, Nigel but you're slightly off again. Hotspur FC was founded by Grammar school boys (very middle class - Tottenham was a prosperous town back then and had not yet been consumed by Greater London) who wanted something to do outside the Cricket season.

As for Sugar and Levy, I think they do care about the club, which is why they've spent the last 20 years building a sustainable business. Yes, we might all be frustrated at the football side of things but generally that period has been about sustained progress at a rate the business can sustain. I've said it before on other forums, we must not allow ourselves to end up like Leeds or back in the situation we found ourselves in 91. It's taken us a long time to recover, we mustn't wreck it now, when we're starting to really compete.

Mmm, there has been a lot of dross amongst the diamonds. My choice would by Kevin Scott, he had the turning circle of an aircraft carrier, the pace of a snail and the leaping ability of a box of kippers. What really does it for me was the step over he tried in every match when try to lumber pass a player, you could see it coming from the from the queue at White Hart Lane station

Andy CLS Apologies for grinding your gears re Sugar and Levy and I accept the facts you have however Grammar School boys in Tottenham were far from middle class as my late father could have verified. He went to a similar school in Paddington later to become Latymer GS he would like those stoic Hotspur boys deemed himself Middle class but what was or is middle class Lets end the debacle by saying I was Wrong to think that Alan Sugar is not respected by some if not majority of spurs fans my opinion is only based on personal choice

Oh I ve just remembered a couple of bad buys or players how about Noel paramot and Tuttle Lacey and thatcher and claesen was a pretty good shot blocker he always got in someone's way even if he scored a few also does anyone remember a guy in the late60's called Jenkins who we got from god forbid me saying this arsenal when chives got injured I think

Andy CLS Apologies for grinding your gears re Sugar and Levy and I accept the facts you have however Grammar School boys in Tottenham were far from middle class as my late father could have verified. He went to a similar school in Paddington later to become Latymer GS he would like those stoic Hotspur boys deemed himself Middle class but what was or is middle class Lets end the debacle by saying I was Wrong to think that Alan Sugar is not respected by some if not majority of spurs fans my opinion is only based on personal choice

Lol! You're not grinding my gears, mate. I just can't resist a good discussion! Good points, well made!

NigelP, I don't think you were that far off on Sugar. In the end just about everyone hated him and he's gone on to show himself an even bigger twat than once imagined. But it is true what was said. For all of his wankishness in so many things, there would be no more Spurs without him (or at least they would've started over as an Isthmian league team or some shit). So we all should tip the cap for his role in that but by no means should we suggest he isn't an absolute tosser...