Spurs Web
mjbmedia

Am I just an old fart?

But all these incoming players , yes they're hopefully going to do it for Spurs, but I don't know it just aint the same as us having players that we've been developing doing the business for us.

I mean when we win something this season and qualify for the CL, I will be delighted of course, but that season we were 4th for ages under Jol and we had backbone of British players all of whom had been with Spurs for a while , they were Spurs players.

This lot are just players that will and damn well better be highly honoured to wear the Spurs shirt for a couple of seasons, but they aren't really 'Spurs players' .

Hudd, Livermore, developed here, shipped out, Carroll /Townsend probably wont see much action now yet deserves too (OK hopefully they will in Carling and early Europa) , Bale developed here big time but likely going, JD only back up striker,   it will only be (maybe) Dawson and Lennon , maybe Kaboul can just about be counted , Rose ? and Walker plus a load of imports .

Yes it wont stop the celebrating and I totally realise it is needed due to what other teams have done.

But Man U won it with their Fergie babes, that was special that squad, truly special,  Arse done that wonder season with a team that had been developing over the previous seasons with a few additions . Our team is going to be what 70% new players , no affinity (yet) to Spurs, sure Sandro is now a Yid, Verts is, they seem to get in quickly so maybe this lot will too, I just don't want a bunch of mercenaries here (we already have Ade!)

I agree but Man U did have an exceptional group of young players and they have not been able to reproduce as many since that time. We need to establish a strong first team base which will allow the manager to bring young players into. It can restrict the development of young plays if they are asked to do too much too soon, doing well on loan is helpful but the pressure to succeed is higher here than with most of the clubs we send them to and we need them to feel confident in a team which has experience and confidence. In the last year we have improved our self belief which is demonstrated in our ability to win or save games in the final stages. I've seen lots of player not reach their potential due to lack of self belief or being put into a team which is not playing well. Timing is everything.

I do agree to a certain extent, but with the way footy is now the only way to win the title is to buy it. Huddlestone,Livermore etc will never play in a team that wins the league. I would love to produce a team from the academy with a chance of glory, but as soon as youngsters get that good,if the team isn't in the top 4 they have their heads turned, just like Bale, and fuck off to the Uniteds and Madrids of the world, where the grass isn't always greener. If we win the league in the next couple of seasons with players bought from other clubs then fuck it, I won't be moaning ill be celebrating. By the way, the Uniteds,Madrids and Chelsea's have spent a fortune on players for years, what's the difference?

It's a tough balance. If we were to rely purely on players we develop, then it could be years before we are truly successful, but by adding such strength to our squad in this manner, the success will arrive earlier and, as they say, success breeds success.

Of course, we don't want to become another Citeh or Chavski and just chuck money at it, but I don't think that is ever likely to happen.

If we can get regular CL qualification, it will raise the profile of the club worldwide (as it already has been thanks to GB) and the extra revenue will help in every aspect of the club's development.

It'll take eleven foreign players winning us the title rather than eleven journeyman British players getting us to a bottom half finish.

It is sad but what has happened to football over the last twenty years is irreversible.Clubs and indeed fans,simply do not have the patience to wait for their young players to develop into top class talent.

This is the curse of the instant success culture.

It is unrealistic to develop a team. There are no teams that do this in today's environment. For me, if they wear the Lillywhite with pride and represent it with determination, skill and honour then they are a Spur.

We are in the process of building Spurs image globally and becoming a true Football power that will be mentioned with the likes of United, Real, Barca and Bayern. We could never accomplish this without buying foreign.

Worthy of note is how strong the academy at Spurs is. They are tops along with United. Have they suffered a defeat since United last year?

I am over the moon with the progress Spurs have made and to be competing with money laundering organizations like Shitty and Chelski is quite honestly a miracle.

Our best chance of developing players to come through is by being an established CL team so we should think about that once we're there. These days the only way to do that is to buy the talent. Yes Arse may have done it and Utd but that was the best part of 2 decades ago. Times have changed.

But all these incoming players , yes they're hopefully going to do it for Spurs, but I don't know it just aint the same as us having players that we've been developing doing the business for us.

I mean when we win something this season and qualify for the CL, I will be delighted of course, but that season we were 4th for ages under Jol and we had backbone of British players all of whom had been with Spurs for a while , they were Spurs players.

This lot are just players that will and damn well better be highly honoured to wear the Spurs shirt for a couple of seasons, but they aren't really 'Spurs players' .

Hudd, Livermore, developed here, shipped out, Carroll /Townsend probably wont see much action now yet deserves too (OK hopefully they will in Carling and early Europa) , Bale developed here big time but likely going, JD only back up striker,   it will only be (maybe) Dawson and Lennon , maybe Kaboul can just about be counted , Rose ? and Walker plus a load of imports .

Yes it wont stop the celebrating and I totally realise it is needed due to what other teams have done.

But Man U won it with their Fergie babes, that was special that squad, truly special,  Arse done that wonder season with a team that had been developing over the previous seasons with a few additions . Our team is going to be what 70% new players , no affinity (yet) to Spurs, sure Sandro is now a Yid, Verts is, they seem to get in quickly so maybe this lot will too, I just don't want a bunch of mercenaries here (we already have Ade!)

I see your point. But home grown players along won't, and haven't, won as anything. I believe that Levy and AVB are taking us in the right direction. That doesn't mean we will stop producing home grown players. We've got a good academy. Now we need to aim high and win trophies. To Dare is to Do!

Is there a player in te squad that has come through our ranks apart from Carroll?

Secondly we have a strong side in terms of u21 as we continue to build we may see more and more of these play. But at the moment we are a team that needs to buy foreign to get to where we want to be. I cant see any spurs fans waiting any longer for success.

City fans werent complaing, nor chelsea.

I think we have to get to the Promised Land (Champions League) and maintain a position there, not a one and done type thing...before you have the luxury of building from the youth. I think the club are doing the right thing going all out to put Spurs among the elite while at the same time developing academy players. I mean I think we had 4 players in England's U21 competition this year (not a shining point by any means given the results) so it shows that there are good young players coming through the ranks - whether they ever get a crack at first team football for Spurs is another matter

Was chatting about this with mates in pub lunchtime (so this is really profound), and someone said that Terry Butcher had asked a question on a football chat show which was something like..."what british player would you like to be out of the current crop?"  It took a long time for anyone to answer that and when someone did it was a Liverpool fan (so you know we are all old gits) and he said Gerrard, the rest of us were honest and said nobody. When I was a kid you could name over 20

Yes that's partly my point, we have and have had a good academy etc but how many get a real chance? Carroll is a great player as is Andros but they just won't get a chance now , let's see who we play tomorrow with a long journey etc, bet we still don't use them two . God forbid we play them and lose but look what our first team messed up away to Everton & Liverpool last season that cost us CL place

We played first XI last season and the previous one and didn't get anything ,who knows by playing youngers a couple if times we might have done better, think of Roses goal v scum youthful self belief = cracking goal ,id wager Andros would be more effective more often than Chadli

Should add that our current attempt to 'buy' success is the culmination of a ten year process of good business and steady progression, meaning our current spree is self-financing. It is not the product of a sugar daddy a la City or Chelski. Ours is much more like the process MU went through 20-odd years ago.

Should add that our current attempt to 'buy' success is the culmination of a ten year process of good business and steady progression, meaning our current spree is self-financing. It is not the product of a sugar daddy a la City or Chelski. Ours is much more like the process MU went through 20-odd years ago.

Definately

I agree with a lot of what MJB is saying. I also am concerned that too many changes too quickly will not work. It takes a while to feel at home in any job and where will the passion needed to win a NLD come from? Not someone that has been here 2 weeks. players like Siggy is not English but he is settled. Losing Dempsey, hudd, livermore, Caulker, Parker, Gallas & to go Bale, BAE, defoe!Ade? has stripped the heart out of the team. Team spirit? What team spirit.

We have been getting close to Chelski & MC for the last few years despite them spending millions. Team spirit has got us there. It is not just losing British spine but this is looking like a whole new team.

I really cannot share this excitement many of you feel for ever increasing changes. Stability or lack of it will cost us.

Most important person will be Dawson because his leadership will be needed more than the extra ability of Kaboul.

Livermore, Parker, hudd, bae, caulker gallas all not good enough. The squad has needed this for two years, first time as a spurs fan I can remember more than one world class player in our side, lloris, verts, Pauline, Willian soldado all world class talents not to mention, dembele, chadli, capoue kaboul who could all go on to be world class. We've been ruthless for the first time I can ever remember, Chelsea utd and city have all been ruthless why isn't it our time?

It is our time, but the British spine is gone,

Yes good point , I truly hope UEFA stick to their guns re their financial rules in the future.

We developed one super star and look now to be selling him, even though we (Levy/AVB) swore we wouldn't be doing so ,  and that alone is pretty much financing this revolution .

When we win the league or finish a strong 2nd/3rd, will it really feel like Tottenham Hotspur FC achieved that or just a bunch of imported 'world class' (disputedly) players that happened to be wearing our kit at the time. 

Either way I will enjoy the season and the fruits of its results over the forthcoming seasons

Its still Spurs scoring, Id rather see JD scoring 20 goals this season  than Soldado , (simply from a 'we made him that good ' point of view,  PS id rather see both scoring 20!!!!!!!

Id rather Tommy Carroll play a brilliant through ball to Andros who whips in a first time cross to JD who smashes it into the net to win a cup or title winning match than Willian do the same tothrough to Chadli who does the same to Soldado who smashes it into the net to win the same match , the first one is somewhat homemade, the second ahhhh WTF to some a goal is a goal is a goal , I mean whats the point of having a good academy when all we're gonna do is put them out to loan (Adam Smith is as good as Walker yet we wont use him this season even if Kyle gets injured)  sit them on the ever decreasing bench space and only put them on in a meaningless situation and then sell them off or give them away.

So question then, is Chadli better than Andros ? Give Andros a run of 3-5 games and the answer will be a resounding NO    Is Carroll better than any of our current starter midfielders (clearly he is considered better than Hudd as he is still here yet Hudd was often preferred to him pre season so we got Hudd pre season fit on Hull's behalf whilst leaving our own guys on the bench )   tougher to compare as we have many different midfielders but playmaker, seeing and playing the pass , keeping possession, Id say hes the best we got in the squad again give him 3-5 full starts and see, but he will not be used over and above these expensive imports because it will bugger up their egos and look like poor investments.

So we will probably sell him off cheap having done all the hard work to develop him (I hope not) .

This squad has been needing a refresh for a few years and us fans have been sceaming for levy to spend some money, i like Townsend and Carroll and they have a big future with Spurs but we can't rely on these two all season, Chadli looks like a decent signing and it gives us more options and we finally have wing cover. The club is making progress in the transfer at last and the squad is looking tidy, i think we will see Townsend and Carroll in CC and EL games and i'm sure Townsend will feature in PL games also. ....... Big changes are always a concern but and we still have a top 4 team, do not fear.

As much as I'd love to have a squad off 22 English/British players, they're not out there! We needed to beef up and with Chadli, Paulhino, Capoue, Sandro, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Adebayour and Dembele we have some real muscle and size. All foreigners I know, but add in the size of Walker, Dawson, Fryers and we have a team that will hold it's own against anyone. 

English, French, German, Brazilian etc, I don't really care as long as we win. Whoevere wears that shirt i will cheer on!