Spurs Web
CigarGuy

Yid Army

Yes, what I find staggering about all of this is that they neglect very serious issues like Chelsea fans hissing and our fans being stabbed in racist attacks and start clamping down on what is probably, to 99% of people, pretty much a non-issue.  There should have been uproar over what happened in Rome and the hissing, but all they can talk about is a three letter word we call ourselves! F*&king morons.

It's bullshit of amazing proportions. We're the ones that get targeted yet we're the ones who have to change our behavior? Fuck that.

Someone described this forum as like a pub recently which is not a bad way of looking at it: full of Spurs fans of all ages - with lively banter, great knowledge of the club, etc. And strong opinions too - this thread and the Tromso one have brought out opinions/comments which to my mind are either veiled racist or plain racist. It's a forum - people are entitled to to their opinion and most of the people have been on here much, much longer than me so it's their local - but if I was in a pub and didn't like what I heard around me I could: either argue with them - but what's the point I'm too old for all that, or ignore them ( which I expect some are doing?) or drink up and leave - which is what I'm doing. Last four words: 'Come On You Spurs!'

The thing is iv'e grown up and it's always been like this.I never knew it was racist or offensive and when iv'e said it it's never been meant any other way than for the support of the club.It will be hard to forget this or let it go after it being part of my assosiation with the club over the last 27 years.

I understand what Top_2 is getting at. It's something from a different era and is potentially outdated and perhaps not essential to being a Spurs fan now. However, there will be great grandfathers, grandfathers and fathers who followed Spurs through the times of much more visible racism and will look at the way the fans took the word and abuse and changed it into something that gave a sense of solidarity and pride. Something that united the fans in the face of hate. This sense of pride will have been passed down through generations. I appreciate that some people will find it offensive, but from what I've read there are a lot of Jewish people in the community who are not Spurs fans, but who understand the history of it and have absolutely no problem with it.

I'm immensely proud to be part of a community that was able to take power from a situation that normally leaves you with none. Having said that, I would have no problem with the club letting it fade out, if it was the case that the hatred had stopped. It hasn't. It's still potent in small groups and is still present regularly during matches.

I'm not talking about light hearted banter and stuff like that, taking the piss out of opposition fans is part and parcel of the game. A part of the game that makes it all the more beautiful. But the hissing, Nazi salutes and physical attacks because of a Jewish history? That goes way beyond banter, way beyond the power of one word and that is what should be the primary target. Once the FA come out to say that they will be taking proper action against that sort of thing, and actually making an effort to stop it, then I'll be willing to accept that we can let go of the word Yid. Until they get their priorities right, they can go fuck themselves.

I understand what Top_2 is getting at. It's something from a different era and is potentially outdated and perhaps not essential to being a Spurs fan now. However, there will be great grandfathers, grandfathers and fathers who followed Spurs through the times of much more visible racism and will look at the way the fans took the word and abuse and changed it into something that gave a sense of solidarity and pride. Something that united the fans in the face of hate. This sense of pride will have been passed down through generations. I appreciate that some people will find it offensive, but from what I've read there are a lot of Jewish people in the community who are not Spurs fans, but who understand the history of it and have absolutely no problem with it.

I'm immensely proud to be part of a community that was able to take power from a situation that normally leaves you with none. Having said that, I would have no problem with the club letting it fade out, if it was the case that the hatred had stopped. It hasn't. It's still potent in small groups and is still present regularly during matches. Spot on that's exactly how I feel

I'm not talking about light hearted banter and stuff like that, taking the piss out of opposition fans is part and parcel of the game. A part of the game that makes it all the more beautiful. But the hissing, Nazi salutes and physical attacks because of a Jewish history? That goes way beyond banter, way beyond the power of one word and that is what should be the primary target. Once the FA come out to say that they will be taking proper action against that sort of thing, and actually making an effort to stop it, then I'll be willing to accept that we can let go of the word Yid. Until they get their priorities right, they can go fuck themselves.

This won't end well for us IMO.

I the long therm, it won't, because we so stuck with this PC patronising nonsense that the majority of people don't even question it anymore; it's just normal (a bit like Health and Safety). They have already banned scientific words (like spastic) because sometimes they are used in the wrong context

Dealing with the substance of an issue is too difficult: they just eliminate the form, and the issue doesn't fucking exist anymore

It's funny to me...to be honest I did not know anything about the history of the side (from a racism/Jewish perspective) when I adopted Spurs as my own.  Since, the amount of people who's first reaction to my cheering for Spurs is seemingly always the same: "You know they're a Jewish team right?"

Who cares?  What does it matter.  I understand the history of YID now...I understand the unity it brought to the club...but like the word nigger...it needs to go away.  Spurs fans united under it's banner and it has to be Spurs fans to disband the word otherwise the focus will be on the word YID and not the hissing...not the stabbing...none of the wasted hate spewed by ignorant pricks.

Maybe it's because I'm new to the Spurs Army but I believe the supporters took power away once from the ignorant...they can do it again.

COYS!

If people get so upset by words, they are pathetic .

I am English, I live in Cardiff, I speak Essex /slight cockney.  when I speak to a room (lets say Im chairing a quiz) there will be comments (sarcastic) such as 'Is he English?'  and 'doesn't he talk common, that's horrible accent that is' etc etc.  This doesn't bother me or make me angry because I think thank god I am English and not a retarded Welsh moron speaking in some thick valleys accent yet if I replied like that theyd be outrage that I was a racist but Im just telling the truth from what I think ,same as they are.
So if people are truly proud of who they are . their heritage ,etc etc , then no amount of BS racism aimed at them should hurt them, sure they would get tired of some of it same as I do but I am so much better than the people giving it out that its water off a ducks back.

Of course if every time you turn a corner you receive some racist chanting then I agree that's too much but that doesn't happen , indeed walk through many areas of certain cities and I am vastly outnumbered and feel vunerable in my own country but then I go into some of the shops and speak and am spoken to on a level basis and that vunerability dissipates , we're all human.

Go up to someone of Asian origin and ask them where they are originally from, most will tell you proudly, a few will take the question the wrong way, it's up to them how they take it, the question remains the same and we have every right to ask it when its being asked in the right way.

To me many people label things and others racist, yet to truly see some things as racist (that previous question as an example) you maybe have to have some racist thoughts in you already, or have been subject to previous abuse, the latter I can understand why people would think o here we go again, this happened to me about 30 years ago when I was a kid with my mate over a park in Essex these other two kids were playing cricket and we went to try to join them, they allowed us, one was from the sub continent, my mate asked him 'where are you from originally mate?' and he said to his mate 'o come on lets go' and they started to trudge off, we both said ' no, no, we didn't mean it like that, it was a genuine interested question, where are you from' , he stopped smiled and said India and I started talking to him about Kapil Dev, Gavaskar etc and he was in his element talking about the then great Indian cricketers. The shame of it is he probably had been abused previously hence his initial reaction, once it was clear to him that was not our way he was totally open and proud as he should be and we played cricket for hours.  

If people get so upset by words, they are pathetic .

I am English, I live in Cardiff, I speak Essex /slight cockney.  when I speak to a room (lets say Im chairing a quiz) there will be comments (sarcastic) such as 'Is he English?'  and 'doesn't he talk common, that's horrible accent that is' etc etc.  This doesn't bother me or make me angry because I think thank god I am English and not a retarded Welsh moron speaking in some thick valleys accent yet if I replied like that theyd be outrage that I was a racist but Im just telling the truth from what I think ,same as they are.

So if people are truly proud of who they are . their heritage ,etc etc , then no amount of BS racism aimed at them should hurt them, sure they would get tired of some of it same as I do but I am so much better than the people giving it out that its water off a ducks back.

Of course if every time you turn a corner you receive some racist chanting then I agree that's too much but that doesn't happen , indeed walk through many areas of certain cities and I am vastly outnumbered and feel vunerable in my own country but then I go into some of the shops and speak and am spoken to on a level basis and that vunerability dissipates , we're all human.

Go up to someone of Asian origin and ask them where they are originally from, most will tell you proudly, a few will take the question the wrong way, it's up to them how they take it, the question remains the same and we have every right to ask it when its being asked in the right way.

To me many people label things and others racist, yet to truly see some things as racist (that previous question as an example) you maybe have to have some racist thoughts in you already, or have been subject to previous abuse, the latter I can understand why people would think o here we go again, this happened to me about 30 years ago when I was a kid with my mate over a park in Essex these other two kids were playing cricket and we went to try to join them, they allowed us, one was from the sub continent, my mate asked him 'where are you from originally mate?' and he said to his mate 'o come on lets go' and they started to trudge off, we both said ' no, no, we didn't mean it like that, it was a genuine interested question, where are you from' , he stopped smiled and said India and I started talking to him about Kapil Dev, Gavaskar etc and he was in his element talking about the then great Indian cricketers. The shame of it is he probably had been abused previously hence his initial reaction, once it was clear to him that was not our way he was totally open and proud as he should be and we played cricket for hours.  

See i know you had a sweet innocent side somewhere :)

It is not 'pc nonesense' to want to be judged by who YOU are rather than the colour of your skin. Nor is it 'pc' to object to being subject to racially insulting names.

If people get so upset by words, they are pathetic . Sorry there are some words which all people will find offensive, see my earlier post.

Just a thought....why is Ashley Williams described as Welsh.  Why isn't Ashley Cole English? Black African origin players who play for France are French.

There is talk of playing our home matches behind closed doors if the word"yid"is kept being chanted,I agree with Turkish,this could end bad for us,yet the filth of Chelsea and west ham are free to abuse us is the most disgusting way,something is seriously very wrong with the whole situation,coys,yid army forever!!!!

I normally tell them to go fuck their mothers.

I would say that but usually iv'e already said iv'e given her a good seeing to earlier in the day :) ahhhh xbox live where you can still act like a kid and get away with it.