Spurs Web

Expect this has been mentioned in other threads already. Has to start on Sun for me looking at how sharp he has been what does everyone reckon? Nothing against Soldado at all. Just cant ignore a striker who keeps scoring. Defoe has had a tendency in the past few seasons to look as though he could get 30 goals in all comps early on and then either got injured or gone completely off the boil after xmas so a hard one to judge.

He is sharp, but look at the opposition he is facing. Don't get carried away; when he came on against Chelsea he couldn't score. The system that AVB picks doesn't favour him (apart from Cup or Europa games; preliminary rds). He'll stick with Soldado and Defoe will only come on as a sub if need be. I also think that he is not necessarily 2nd in line for the striker position.

Soldado will start this game for sure as we didn't spend 28m for a striker that suits AVB's style of play just to sit on the bench, everyone remember how we needed a top striker, the missing link etc ............. And we now want Defoe back in? Not a chance unless Soldado gets injured.

To be honest, we should always line up the players who are most on form, and in that respect it's difficult to ignore Defoe. The problem for Sunday is that he's played yesterday (on a pitch that looked a flooded potato field): has he got a full game in his legs? Difficult choice. We can still start with him and then replace him with Soldado.

It's a difficult choice also because Defoe is more selfish: this is ok if he scores,  but if this hinders other players it can be a problem. Soldado has been involved in both the goals we scored in the last two games.

If I was AVB I would start with Soldado and get Defoe in in the second half (with or without Soldado, it depends on the game).

It's great to have this kind of competition in the squad: AVB just needs to be sure that it doesn't turn into a rivalry

I can't see AVB starting with Defoe - it's not in his plan (yet) Turkish, although you say resting Soldado isn't a bad idea for this game I'm not sure many, and most importantly Soldado himself, would see it as 'resting' more like 'being dropped'. If he'd scored in open play in the League a few times this might work but I go with the view he needs another few games. If I was to ignore AVB's plan and just go for who I think is more likely to score out of the two of them it would be Defoe and I expect every bookmaker would do too. However, because I don't want to risk an unhappy Soldado I'm still optimistic it's just a matter of time, hopefully minutes, before he scores and then watch the Lane light up!

Defoe deserves some recognition he will be afterall our top european goalscorer and what is he 5th in all time for us so he must be doing something right.I'm with deadly the thing is with defoe yes he goes badly off form but when he is in form like he is now he wins you games and bangs em in. I think soldado would benefit from having defoe up top with him.

Love Defoe,super striker,I'd partner him with soldado on Sunday,they would run west hams defence ragged!!

Actually, that might be fun to see, Soldaddio and JD, why not? Changes look and threat of team.

Been a fan of Defoe for years, would love to see Soldado start to score a few, good for us, even better for him.

I can't see AVB starting with Defoe - it's not in his plan (yet) Turkish, although you say resting Soldado isn't a bad idea for this game I'm not sure many, and most importantly Soldado himself, would see it as 'resting' more like 'being dropped'. If he'd scored in open play in the League a few times this might work but I go with the view he needs another few games. If I was to ignore AVB's plan and just go for who I think is more likely to score out of the two of them it would be Defoe and I expect every bookmaker would do too. However, because I don't want to risk an unhappy Soldado I'm still optimistic it's just a matter of time, hopefully minutes, before he scores and then watch the Lane light up!

I would start Soldado, but you can't argue against Defoe's form, especially when West Ham are coming to town. 

I would start Soldado, but you can't argue against Defoe's form, especially when West Ham are coming to town. 

You can argue against Defoe's form. As I said above, just look at the opposition we had when he scored those goals. Who said Soldado wouldn't have scored the same amount of goals or more if he was in those teams (or against those oppositions)? This season will see Defoe on the bench or start against poor opposition. Injury of Soldado might allow him to start. But I wouldn't bet on it. I think a fit Emmanuel Adebayor is more into AVB's thinking than Defoe.

You can argue against Defoe's form. As I said above, just look at the opposition we had when he scored those goals. Who said Soldado wouldn't have scored the same amount of goals or more if he was in those teams (or against those oppositions)? This season will see Defoe on the bench or start against poor opposition. Injury of Soldado might allow him to start. But I wouldn't bet on it. I think a fit Emmanuel Adebayor is more into AVB's thinking than Defoe.

Defoe is confident at the moment and always scores against West Ham. Soldado will be apprehensive because he hasn't scored a goal in open play. We could argue about the opposition, but the only thing that matters is who's in form and who will be more confident heading into the game? Defoe is also known to score in spurts, when he's hot he's hot, so that must be taken into consideration. 

If AVB rewards Defoe for his recent form, then I don't agree with those who believe he doesn't deserve it just because of the opposition. If it doesn't matter then what's the point in having a squad competing for places?

Definitely we need to see Defoe in a Premiership game in this moment. Yesterday I said that I would start with Soldado and bring Defoe in in the second half, but maybe it can be the other way 'round, with Defoe setting the scoreline  nicely for us and then have some rest, with Soldado replacing him.

Definitely we need to see Defoe in a Premiership game in this moment. Yesterday I said that I would start with Soldado and bring Defoe in in the second half, but maybe it can be the other way 'round, with Defoe setting the scoreline  nicely for us and then have some rest, with Soldado replacing him.

I would start Soldado, but if AVB picks Defoe I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest and believe he's earned a start considering his performances this season.

JD deserved a start but I'll make sure Holtby also in. Both combined for most of the goals in cup games so far.

It's correct that JD seems to struggle to stay injury-free in the 2nd half of the season. I think he need a winter break to rest a little. We do have 4 strikers in the squad (Soldado, Kane, Ade, JD). Why don't we rotate them so JD get some in winter.

All of the goals are important IMO. When JD score a couple in cup game, then the players don't have battle for 90mins and then a PK shootout. We can take some players off to avoid injury.

I wouldn't change anything at the moment. We're winning. We have the luxury of giving Soldado more and more without desperately needing his goals. Meanwhile JD is busy getting the club advanced in all other competitions with his goals. I think it's the wrong time to go out changing things.

I do agree with the argument for his form and record against West Ham. If he gets on it should be for 30 minutes, not just 10.

I would give JD a start, maybe 60 mins before I bring Soldado on.

I'm thinking you have Defoe putting us in a comfortable lead by 60 mins or so because Soldado can't really be an impact sub in your view? He's not able to get goals in 90 mins in the league I can't see him benefiting from trying to make his mark in 30 mins if we're needing a goal(s)

It seems the key issue with Soldado is whether keeping faith with him and expecting the team to know or improve on how they play to his strengths is or soon will, become a luxury we can ill afford? My only concern is whether he will lose confidence or attitude if AVB drops him ?

Na, good players should work harder still when dropped. Defoe deserves a start and he always scores v the pikeys. Great goal last season. Drop Soldado, he will be better for it I recon. Most players get worse with complacency and knowing they'll start whatever!

May said Defoe should have been give a chance. I disagreed... but he was given that chance and failed. Our problem isn't Soldado but our midfield feeding him. Placing him with Defoe wasn't going to change that.

I also thought by giving Defoe a chance smacked a bit of panicking.