Spurs Web

Andros reminds me of Lennon a few years back. Does anyone remember when teams would be shitting themselves because Lennon would get the ball and run at his fullback? Now he just passes and keeps possession which to his credit does very well. We hardly ever see him run at players and in the process hasn't really improved.

Also I feel with Townsend he has the best quality any sporting athlete needs "courage." The best players have courage, they are fearless and never give an inch to their opponents. People will go "oh well, Townsend done well but still needs to improve." Is there a player in our squad that doesn't need improving? 

When you're playing a possession game against a team that has bodies behind the ball, it's essential that you pass quickly and "cycle" your attacking players in an attempt to move defenders around. By that I mean that one comes to show for the ball, another darts in behind - it's almost a cyclical movement when you look at it on paper.

Against West Ham we didn't do this enough, and we were too slow to pass the ball. Defoe barely showed for the ball, and we didn't get the ball quickly to Eriksen, which meant that - because he was receiving the ball in congested areas with limited options - Eriksen had by far his worst game for us.

Inverted wingers work well but attacking, overlapping full-backs (i.e. not Naughton) are essential, as is a more fluid midfield who will accept that a ball moves faster than a man. 

Andros reminds me of Lennon a few years back. Does anyone remember when teams would be shitting themselves because Lennon would get the ball and run at his fullback? Now he just passes and keeps possession which to his credit does very well. We hardly ever see him run at players and in the process hasn't really improved.

Also I feel with Townsend he has the best quality any sporting athlete needs "courage." The best players have courage, they are fearless and never give an inch to their opponents. People will go "oh well, Townsend done well but still needs to improve." Is there a player in our squad that doesn't need improving? 

When you're playing a possession game against a team that has bodies behind the ball, it's essential that you pass quickly and "cycle" your attacking players in an attempt to move defenders around. By that I mean that one comes to show for the ball, another darts in behind - it's almost a cyclical movement when you look at it on paper.

Against West Ham we didn't do this enough, and we were too slow to pass the ball. Defoe barely showed for the ball, and we didn't get the ball quickly to Eriksen, which meant that - because he was receiving the ball in congested areas with limited options - Eriksen had by far his worst game for us.

Inverted wingers work well but attacking, overlapping full-backs (i.e. not Naughton) are essential, as is a more fluid midfield who will accept that a ball moves faster than a man. 

Wow, great posts today! Another post I totally agree with.

This cyclical movement is the key I think, and this is where we still need to get the players to know each other more.  When that will happen we will play with much more confidence with each other, and however a team will try to park the bus it will be very difficult to do that.

The word "courage" is important: I like to think that now Andros' confidence will become contageous and everybody will start gradually to bring our game to a different level

As long as Andros keeps his feet on the ground, keeps his head down,works hard and don't get involved in all the hype,we could have another Bale type player on our hands.Im not sure about trying him on the left just yet,I think you should always play a player in their best and most productive/effective position.Maybe try Lennon on the left when he comes back,he would then be cutting in on his favoured right foot and be more productive in the terms of goals,overall it's quite a nice problem to have selection wise.

Yid Army & Forever Spurs fan,whilst I agree with you both about Andros not getting carried away with all the hype surrounding him, I think him going out on loan to the lower leagues will stand him in good stead for his future.

He's seen how quickly careers can go wrong by not applying oneself 100percent. He also comes across as a pretty humble guy. I also think like yourself keep him on the right as that's where he's playing his best football right now. I have the greatest faith in Lamela this boy can play,he'll play on the left & give us the right balance,trust me. He's got the lot,real class.

Yid Army & Forever Spurs fan,whilst I agree with you both about Andros not getting carried away with all the hype surrounding him, I think him going out on loan to the lower leagues will stand him in good stead for his future.

He's seen how quickly careers can go wrong by not applying oneself 100percent. He also comes across as a pretty humble guy. I also think like yourself keep him on the right as that's where he's playing his best football right now. I have the greatest faith in Lamela this boy can play,he'll play on the left & give us the right balance,trust me. He's got the lot,real class.

I always figured lamela would be best on the right though. He has a pretty good left foot