Spurs Web
CigarGuy

Cut Soldado some slack?

Most strikers are only as good as the service they get. Occasionally you get a striker that can create something out of absolutely nothing like Suarez or Ibrahimovic etc. However, Soldado is clearly a striker that needs good service so I think the blame falls on the rest of the team, obviously mainly the midfielders and wingers. Soldado isn't faultless mind, the runs he has made when the ball has been delivered from out wide have been poor at times but I'm sure that will improve over time. 

We need to just get him into dangerous areas on a more regular basis, I'm sure the goals will come. 

It's starting to worry me that were the other goals are going to come from? Also maybe Townsend playing so well is actually a bad thing...he doesn't score and he doesn't pass???? Well ok he has scored a couple but goal to shot ratio must be shocking.....

Who apart from soldado will be top goal scorer?? Just want to see how many different answers we get..

If Townsend is being selfish, why isn't AVB telling him so?  And if he IS telling him, that must mean Townsend is defying his orders by continuing to shoot 90% of the time.  Most players would get dropped for that, which makes me think AVB is probably actually encouraging him to keep shooting all the time.

If that's true, Soldado has no chance.

It's starting to worry me that were the other goals are going to come from? Also maybe Townsend playing so well is actually a bad thing...he doesn't score and he doesn't pass???? Well ok he has scored a couple but goal to shot ratio must be shocking.....

Who apart from soldado will be top goal scorer?? Just want to see how many different answers we get..

Won't be many mate.

Old Spur posted on here he would offer his services at the training ground in the art of taking corners. What is needed far more is someone or somethIng which means Soldado becomes an effective striker i.e scores goals. I know from fellow workmates that Soldado is a laughing stock on their team's fan forums. AVB can't be happy with this very expensive player of his not scoring BUT are there encouraging signs that he and the providers are sorting out the problem? Not really. I hope Soldao isn't becoming frustrated.

the following players can get into double figure:

Townsend

Lamela

Pauinho

Eriksen

Siggy

Holtby

Lenn...err... the kettle is boiling :)

I struggle to see any one of those in double figures

Old Spur posted on here he would offer his services at the training ground in the art of taking corners. What is needed far more is someone or somethIng which means Soldado becomes an effective striker i.e scores goals. I know from fellow workmates that Soldado is a laughing stock on their team's fan forums. AVB can't be happy with this very expensive player of his not scoring BUT are there encouraging signs that he and the providers are sorting out the problem? Not really. I hope Soldao isn't becoming frustrated.

Who wasn't laughing at Giroud last year?

I struggle to see any one of those in double figures

I do now too, but I think we are quite far from having reached the full potential of these players, the perfect tactics and the perfect gelling between players. How many times do we have the impression that a players knows what the other is gonna do  without even watching?

I agree he'll make the difference, but come on one good game don't make you a superstar give the kid some space to grow. Would hate for him to start and have a poor game we can't but all are hope on one player that hasn't played I the pl.

I agree he'll make the difference, but come on one good game don't make you a superstar give the kid some space to grow. Would hate for him to start and have a poor game we can't but all are hope on one player that hasn't played I the pl.

I agree. It's important that the fans don't expect to see the new Messi every time he plays. He will have some crap game, I'm sure. He is not experienced and he's very young. If we give him the right support he can become a top guy

I just think that yesterday it would have been the perfect game for him to start, because he just had a cracking game and the fanse would have given him a proper welcome. Also, I feel that he is craving for playing now and he's not afraid anymore

Who wasn't laughing at Giroud last year?

I think you defending the way Spurs are not playing to Soldado's strengths, or Soldado's need for improvement by comparing his situation to Giroud is unconvincing. Despite Giroud, or even worse Torres form, no one expects an experienced goalscorer to go a new club on the back of great form and you give them a whole season 'breaking in' period. I've never known this with any other player of his type in my many years of following football. This might possibly fit with your positive and patient attitude to how Spurs will come good under AVB but.....

Levy: "Tell me AVB when do you think Soldado might start scoring for us - should we consider the team has to play to his strengths or he has to do something more or different ?"

AVB: "Oh, he will be scoring regularly for us ..... next season Daniel."

Levy: Okay, what like Geroud for Arsenal?"

AVB: Exactly.

Levy: Well, not quite exactly. Giroud was £9.6 million and I've paid £26 million for Soldao - is there any chance I and the Spurs fans don't have to wait a season for the return on this outlay? I seemed to recall we expected Champions League football from the £100 + million I've spent when we sat around the table. I trust in you to deliver this season. I think we agreed for £100+ million that was a reasonable deal?"

This is my prediction of who is likely to create goals for us this season.

1. Soldado

2. Lamela

3. Defoe (as a sub)

4. Siggy/Paulinho/Eriksen

5. Townsend/Chadli

6. Holtby

7. Lennon (very unlikely to provide goal/assist)

I think you defending the way Spurs are not playing to Soldado's strengths, or Soldado's need for improvement by comparing his situation to Giroud is unconvincing. Despite Giroud, or even worse Torres form, no one expects an experienced goalscorer to go a new club on the back of great form and you give them a whole season 'breaking in' period. I've never known this with any other player of his type in my many years of following football. This might possibly fit with your positive and patient attitude to how Spurs will come good under AVB but.....

Levy: "Tell me AVB when do you think Soldado might start scoring for us - should we consider the team has to play to his strengths or he has to do something more or different ?"

hAVB: "Oh, he will be scoring regularly for us ..... next season Daniel."

Levy: Well, not quite exactly. Giroud was £9.6 million and I've paid £26 million for Soldao - is there any chance I and the Spurs fans don't have to wait a season for the return on this outlay? I seemed to recall we expected Champions League football from the £100 + million I've spent when we sat around the table. I trust in you to deliver this season. I think we agreed for £100+ million that was a reasonable deal?"

Agreed.  Plus Soldado is what, 28 years old?  He can't AFFORD a whole fucking years bedding in period.  He's surposed to be at his peak, that's why we signed him.

AVB: "Oh, he will be scoring regularly for us ..... next season Daniel."

I agree with what you say: nobody has got the patience to wait for a year before a striker will start delivering, and this is one of the main reasons (along with the tactics of the team and problems of settling into e different country) why a player can do very well in a club and very badly in the next one.

However, I want to add a few things, starting with my Giroud comment:

When we lost to the scum in September I have watched the post match interviews. They have asked Giroud : "What's different this season,? Why have you started so well?". He replied : "This season we know each other more, and I feel like we could play with our eyes closed and still they would know where i am and pass me the ball at the right time in the right place". (see also his assist to Wilshite in the goal against Norwich)

A few more points:

Negredo. The guy in Spain had exactly the same record as Soldado, both in La Liga and in the national team. Why is he scoring loads and Soldado isn;t? To me it's because the way City play and the players they have, which make his life much easier

Drogba. For at least a season and a half the guy needed 5 chances to score a goal (let alone his attitude and antics), and this was in a team where most players were already settled. Only in the last couple of seasons he finally turned into the lethal weapon that we unfortunately know

What I said doesn't make me feel comfortable, because excuses or not , he's not scoring, like everybody else. The problem is that we can have Chicarito, Defoe or whoever else, but still he would have problems scoring at the moment. Only Suarez probably would have done better, but I think even he in this moment a Spurs  wouldn't have scored more than half of what he's scoring at Liverpool

I think Soldado has already shown a more than decent team attitude, but it's the whole team (including him) that will have to improve together