Spurs Web
CigarGuy

Cut Soldado some slack?

I was watching Soldado against Newcastle and as soon as Townsend got on the ball,he almost looked as if to think "fuck it,there's no point making myself available because the ball isn't going to come however many good runs I make" I really feel for him.When we get in a position to whip a ball in,the player on the ball shoots or we try another 5-6 passes in a very congested area,lose the ball and were hit on the counter.Soldados face seems to say "what's the fucking point?"

Trouble is we have a winger that is supposed to supply chances who thinks he's Bale,I'm only surprised he isn't taking the goal kicks and trying to score from them,greedy fucker!!!

He (Townsend) irritated me yesterday more than other games but I expect it was because things weren't going our way generally. To cut him some slack maybe in his mind is 'I've scored a few cracking goals before if I let fly, so here goes'..... His job is not only to supply chances.

He (Townsend) irritated me yesterday more than other games but I expect it was because things weren't going our way generally. To cut him some slack maybe in his mind is 'I've scored a few cracking goals before if I let fly, so here goes'..... His job is not only to supply chances.

Totally agree mate,but he's scored one league goal from how many shots???Must be 20 odd.

I was watching Soldado against Newcastle and as soon as Townsend got on the ball,he almost looked as if to think "fuck it,there's no point making myself available because the ball isn't going to come however many good runs I make" I really feel for him.When we get in a position to whip a ball in,the player on the ball shoots or we try another 5-6 passes in a very congested area,lose the ball and were hit on the counter.Soldados face seems to say "what's the fucking point?"

Last night I watched MOTD and I must admit that Townsend looked better than I was thinking while watching the game (I shouldn't have ale for breakfast), and as mjb said he's put two or three decent balls in the area, but it's true that Soldado had 3 decent balls to play: one on the free kick in the first half (and he did very well), the other on the only decent corner from Eriksen (and he's headed slightly high) and the third one, when he was in front of Krul, a ball that was very difficult to head into goal and difficult to kick as well

I agree with what you say: nobody has got the patience to wait for a year before a striker will start delivering, and this is one of the main reasons (along with the tactics of the team and problems of settling into e different country) why a player can do very well in a club and very badly in the next one.

However, I want to add a few things, starting with my Giroud comment:

When we lost to the scum in September I have watched the post match interviews. They have asked Giroud : "What's different this season,? Why have you started so well?". He replied : "This season we know each other more, and I feel like we could play with our eyes closed and still they would know where i am and pass me the ball at the right time in the right place". (see also his assist to Wilshite in the goal against Norwich)

A few more points:

Negredo. The guy in Spain had exactly the same record as Soldado, both in La Liga and in the national team. Why is he scoring loads and Soldado isn;t? To me it's because the way City play and the players they have, which make his life much easier

Drogba. For at least a season and a half the guy needed 5 chances to score a goal (let alone his attitude and antics), and this was in a team where most players were already settled. Only in the last couple of seasons he finally turned into the lethal weapon that we unfortunately know

What I said doesn't make me feel comfortable, because excuses or not , he's not scoring, like everybody else. The problem is that we can have Chicarito, Defoe or whoever else, but still he would have problems scoring at the moment. Only Suarez probably would have done better, but I think even he in this moment a Spurs  wouldn't have scored more than half of what he's scoring at Liverpool

I think Soldado has already shown a more than decent team attitude, but it's the whole team (including him) that will have to improve together

My original post said as well as corner training something needed to be done on the training field to allow Soldado to score more goals. Your examples of quoting Giroud (post Spurs game) and how City play seem to prove this wouldn't you think? I just think Soldado isn't or shouldn't be an enigma that top players can't work out. Your Suarez example is exactly the player I was thinking of today - someone who feeds on service but won't go hungry without it as he knows how to get a goal himself. But you're right, if he played for Spurs at the moment he would probably have to fashion most or all of his goal alone.

My original post said as well as corner training something needed to be done on the training field to allow Soldado to score more goals. Your examples of quoting Giroud (post Spurs game) and how City play seem to prove this wouldn't you think? I just think Soldado isn't or shouldn't be an enigma that top players can't work out. Your Suarez example is exactly the player I was thinking of today - someone who feeds on service but won't go hungry without it as he knows how to get a goal himself. But you're right, if he played for Spurs at the moment he would probably have to fashion most or all of his goal alone.

Yes, I agree with your comment. I was trying to explain why I don't think Soldado as such is the main problem. It's a team problem.

Yes, I agree with your comment. I was trying to explain why I don't think Soldado as such is the main problem. It's a team problem.

Well that's all agreed - now let's get our heads down! Nighty night.

Last night I watched MOTD and I must admit that Townsend looked better than I was thinking while watching the game (I shouldn't have ale for breakfast), and as mjb said he's put two or three decent balls in the area, but it's true that Soldado had 3 decent balls to play: one on the free kick in the first half (and he did very well), the other on the only decent corner from Eriksen (and he's headed slightly high) and the third one, when he was in front of Krul, a ball that was very difficult to head into goal and difficult to kick as well

thank you Deckard ;-)  I do watch the games closely and have a memory like an elephant :-)

But isn't that what a super striker is supposed to do, score from the one and only chance they get, that's why they cost so much and earn so much, anyone can score given enough chances, he had 3 decent ones and didn't finish any of them, yet you watch any YT clip of his Valencia goals and he's finishing the same sort of chances easily (now of course those videos only show the goals, not the fluffed chances) but fact is we know he can score like that, yet he aint, but I not knocking him ,not yet.

Wasnt Paulinho billed as a man who could get 15 from midfield for us? Definitely havent seen that in him yet maybe hes playing too deep? Maybe he should be our guy in behind soldado. Remember Modric always sat deeper and created from there that maybe where we need Eriksen.

thank you Deckard ;-)  I do watch the games closely and have a memory like an elephant :-)

But isn't that what a super striker is supposed to do, score from the one and only chance they get, that's why they cost so much and earn so much, anyone can score given enough chances, he had 3 decent ones and didn't finish any of them, yet you watch any YT clip of his Valencia goals and he's finishing the same sort of chances easily (now of course those videos only show the goals, not the fluffed chances) but fact is we know he can score like that, yet he aint, but I not knocking him ,not yet.

I normally watch our games quite closely too, but I must admit that I'm not a morning person and I always need 3 italian coffees in the morning. The ale did the rest hahah

I think overall Soldado maybe should have scored a couple more by now, but honestly I have never been sure that we got a super striker striker of the level of Suarez, Van Purse or Drogba (otherwise we would have paid him at least £40k). I was expecting more from him and I think he can do that, but I wouldn't put our goals shyness down to him. It's more of a tema problem for me. What I'm expecting from him is arounf 15 goals in the Premiership alone this season.

I like Chicarito or Benteke, but I'm not sure he could do much better with us in this moment. Strikers that can turn us around by themselves are strikers that would never play for us in this moment (Suarez, Lukaku, just to name a couple)

Maybe it needs to be a case of only pass to soldado, shit I should be a manager....think we need a new striker in case his bad form continues after Xmas. Who?

Maybe it needs to be a case of only pass to soldado, shit I should be a manager....think we need a new striker in case his bad form continues after Xmas. Who?

It's a case of working as a team, imo, and at the moment there's still a lot to do in this respect.

Having doubts and questioning AVB and the players is legitimate, and can be useful, if done in a constructive way, but we should not loose the big picture and the fact that we bought 7 new players and we are 11 games into the season.

It's a case of working as a team, imo, and at the moment there's still a lot to do in this respect.

Having doubts and questioning AVB and the players is legitimate, and can be useful, if done in a constructive way, but we should not loose the big picture and the fact that we bought 7 new players and we are 11 games into the season.

All I'm getting at is it isn't looking great and out of the seven player brought in how many are going to be flops? 1? 3? For me soldado and chadli are looking the worst at the moment and soldado worst value for money? Looking possible...

What Im saying is I expect the team to improve and players to start scoring and for soldado becoming more involved, but if he isn't and were in February at mid table who do we turn to? We need a back up plan? Back up striker.

All I'm getting at is it isn't looking great and out of the seven player brought in how many are going to be flops? 1? 3? For me soldado and chadli are looking the worst at the moment and soldado worst value for money? Looking possible...

What Im saying is I expect the team to improve and players to start scoring and for soldado becoming more involved, but if he isn't and were in February at mid table who do we turn to? We need a back up plan? Back up striker.

I think Soldado is getting involved. The problem is the sort of striker he is the midfield or wingers are not always getting the ball to him. The same with Defoe. His record is very poor (second to Soldado) in the league. In Cup matches against weak opposition he scores. But if Soldado had been picked in those circumstances he would have scored just as many goals or more.

I don't really worry about any player at the moment, although none of them is playing to his standard and some of them may be a flop (that's just football, it happens in every team). If I really had to worry about anybody, in this moment it would be Eriksen, but I'm not (yet). Every young player must learn how to go through difficulties and bounce back, even more when they move to a very tough league like the Premiership.

However, we may be in an awkward position in January:At the moment the squad doesn't have a leader upfront, and Eriksen may not have started to take the game by the neck. We may be tempted to buy a very experienced player. To make just an example, Pirlo (who will not leave Juve, I'm sure, and regardless, may not be the solution).

Chadli has hardly played, and I don't know what to think of him yet. As a gut feeling, I have never thought he has been bought to be a first team player, but I may be proven wrong.

It depends on how much money we want to spend, and January's window is always difficult and expensive. I think we may need one or two more strikers, one physically different from Soldado (like Ade or Lukaku or Hulk, just to make some example) and maybe a young poacher to develop in the next years. We also got Kane, who is very promising.

Only towards the end of December all this will be more clear

However, the top priority has to be the full backs. I hope Rose will be ok soon, but probably not before mid December. If not, we need a good one, and this has to be the top priority (Coentrao/Shaw). Also, Walker cannot play 2 games a week for the whole season, and we need to do something in January, before we will have the same problem as we have now with the LB and we cannot do anything.

I don't really worry about any player at the moment, although none of them is playing to his standard and some of them may be a flop (that's just football, it happens in every team). If I really had to worry about anybody, in this moment it would be Eriksen, but I'm not (yet). Every young player must learn how to go through difficulties and bounce back, even more when they move to a very tough league like the Premiership.

However, we may be in an awkward position in January:At the moment the squad doesn't have a leader upfront, and Eriksen may not have started to take the game by the neck. We may be tempted to buy a very experienced player. To make just an example, Pirlo (who will not leave Juve, I'm sure, and regardless, may not be the solution).

Chadli has hardly played, and I don't know what to think of him yet. As a gut feeling, I have never thought he has been bought to be a first team player, but I may be proven wrong.

It depends on how much money we want to spend, and January's window is always difficult and expensive. I think we may need one or two more strikers, one physically different from Soldado (like Ade or Lukaku or Hulk, just to make some example) and maybe a young poacher to develop in the next years. We also got Kane, who is very promising.

Only towards the end of December all this will be more clear

However, the top priority has to be the full backs. I hope Rose will be ok soon, but probably not before mid December. If not, we need a good one, and this has to be the top priority (Coentrao/Shaw). Also, Walker cannot play 2 games a week for the whole season, and we need to do something in January, before we will have the same problem as we have now with the LB and we cannot do anything.

Agree mate I'm not writing anyone off yet I'm just asking questions, it may seem like we have more holes in the team than we did last year heading for jan as all we wanted for Christmas was a striker this year the bags gonna be full lb, rb, and 2 strikers.ha ha

Agree mate I'm not writing anyone off yet I'm just asking questions, it may seem like we have more holes in the team than we did last year heading for jan as all we wanted for Christmas was a striker this year the bags gonna be full lb, rb, and 2 strikers.ha ha

haha, when it comes to transfers we are worse than  children. To me the left backs will do, at the moment I'm not asking for anything more

Just reluctantly watched the Gareth Bale documentary I recorded last week,fuck me we miss him,Soldado would score shit loads playing with him,no doubt.

I thought it was a good documentary. It made my heart thump, watching some CL night. At the same time it made me want to do better

Soldado is a proven striker whom we have failed,so far,to play to his strengths.

When we have had a succession of games using tactics that utilise his talents fully,then we can judge him.

Do you believe that AVB will change his tactics? I don't.