Spurs Web
CJW1968

Alan Sugar (putting the record straight from end of 'enough is enough' thread)

Alan Sugar did save our club in 1991. But let's not remember his time with too much affection. Lets get real and be fair and balanced. His motivation in doing so was so that he could vote on the inaugural Premier League TV contract and influence Sky to get this first huge contract. It meant that his company Amstrad could sell millions of satellite dishes that he would otherwise have been lumbered with.

He was right to get rid of Terry Venables, but from 1993 onwards it was all irreversibly downhill. Whilst football was taking off in a big way, due to the Premier League riches bonanza, Tottenham went into massive decline whilst clubs like Chelsea - then London minnows - seized the opportunity and more or less took our place as serious London football giants.

He criticised the influx of foreigners and his 'Carlos Kickaballs' rant would almost be called racist now. He refused to follow others clubs' lead in filtering the huge wage inflation down to the players, so the best players wouldn't join us.

He employed Christian Groas and then George Graham. His exit couldn't come soon enough.

the black knight of chigwell made sure that no decent star player would come to us for a decade

fuck him and the horse he rode in on

sure his money came in handy, but if it wasnt him, someone else would have stepped up

Buisness man 1st. Fan second

Abramovich, monseur etc are fans first.

Levy / Lewis are buisness men.. They just have big buisness balls!

the black knight of chigwell made sure that no decent star player would come to us for a decade

fuck him and the horse he rode in on

sure his money came in handy, but if it wasnt him, someone else would have stepped up

Didn't see a queue of people wanting to bale us out at the time!

I can't say anything negative about the bloke. Granted he might not have been the most passionate of chairmen but he rescued the club and created a solid financial base on which the club has grown and flourished. Is it a bad thing that he was a business man first and a fan second? In my opinion that's a huge advantage! 

On the other hand you could have Levy, who hasn't spent a single penny on players in the last three years (net). Has tried to move us to Stratford, and when that failed built a Sainsburys in stead. Employed Ramos, Santini and now AVB. Failed to buy a striker last January which cost us CL. Yes, we do ait higher in the prem now, but that was only due to Harry, and he sacked him. Don't get me wrong, I don't really like either of them much, but Levy's record isn't any better unless you are a shareholder.

Alan Sugar did save our club in 1991. But let's not remember his time with too much affection. Lets get real and be fair and balanced. His motivation in doing so was so that he could vote on the inaugural Premier League TV contract and influence Sky to get this first huge contract. It meant that his company Amstrad could sell millions of satellite dishes that he would otherwise have been lumbered with.

He was right to get rid of Terry Venables, but from 1993 onwards it was all irreversibly downhill. Whilst football was taking off in a big way, due to the Premier League riches bonanza, Tottenham went into massive decline whilst clubs like Chelsea - then London minnows - seized the opportunity and more or less took our place as serious London football giants.

He criticised the influx of foreigners and his 'Carlos Kickaballs' rant would almost be called racist now. He refused to follow others clubs' lead in filtering the huge wage inflation down to the players, so the best players wouldn't join us.

He employed Christian Groas and then George Graham. His exit couldn't come soon enough.

Alan Sugar's years as Chairman took us no where. We skirted with Relegation, he employed a Manager who was hated from the Scum & sacked one of our best ever Managers in Terry Venables. No I cannot remember him well & whatever people do not like about Levy's time we now expect to be in the top 6 every year. I am very much with CJW on this one. If Sugar was still Chairman we would not have had CL football or got so close these other years. Who knows who else might have saved us but whilst many clubs have fallen from the Premiership, most still survived. I also believe someone else would have stepped in.

Reminder. We have only had CL once, and he sacked the manager that got us there

Alan Sugar's years as Chairman took us no where. We skirted with Relegation, he employed a Manager who was hated from the Scum & sacked one of our best ever Managers in Terry Venables. No I cannot remember him well & whatever people do not like about Levy's time we now expect to be in the top 6 every year. I am very much with CJW on this one. If Sugar was still Chairman we would not have had CL football or got so close these other years. Who knows who else might have saved us but whilst many clubs have fallen from the Premiership, most still survived. I also believe someone else would have stepped in.

Just a slight correction (no sarcasm, mate, but it makes a slight difference): Abramovich is a fan of football, not a Chelsea fan. He was just looking to buy a club pin the Premiership.

Just a slight correction (no sarcasm, mate, but it makes a slight difference): Abramovich is a fan of football, not a Chelsea fan. He was just looking to buy a club pin the Premiership.

Spot on Deckard. And apparently it was a toss up between Spurs and Chelsea for Mr Abramovich, he was advised to buy Chelsea by Sven Goran Erikssen as a deal could be completed relatively cheaply and more importantly quickly with Ken Bates.

Spot on Deckard. And apparently it was a toss up between Spurs and Chelsea for Mr Abramovich, he was advised to buy Chelsea by Sven Goran Erikssen as a deal could be completed relatively cheaply and more importantly quickly with Ken Bates.

Yes, apparently the other reason is that Spurs would have required more money, as he had to change the whole squad

Lets not forget, that during Sugar's reign, sky money got involved and we along with Manchester United were one of the most lucrative clubs in the PL.

Sugar saved the club. Cleared the debts. I'm thankful. But when it comes to footballing decisions and what happened on the pitch he was terrible.

On the other hand you could have Levy, who hasn't spent a single penny on players in the last three years (net).

You are technically correct, but I would submit that our wage bill not paying Bale, but paying the "new 7", counts as "spending a single

penny on players".

Bale wasn't the only player we sold in the last 3 years. I  have little doubt our wage bill may have gone up a bit, but our total net gain on the sale of players, as well the increase of revenue through TV sponsorship, has demonstrated Levy's lack of ambition on the pitch

You are technically correct, but I would submit that our wage bill not paying Bale, but paying the "new 7", counts as "spending a single
penny on players".

I agree that Sugar was a businessman first. But Levy was a fan and a seasons ticket holder - before a businessman. Being both you've got to balance things so you won't get into debt; like Leeds and Blackburn did. Levy is a business man who wants to build a great team/ stadium/ club without getting the club into debt.

Bale wasn't the only player we sold in the last 3 years. I  have little doubt our wage bill may have gone up a bit, but our total net gain on the sale of players, as well the increase of revenue through TV sponsorship, has demonstrated Levy's lack of ambition on the pitch

If Levy has made any mistakes then it is picking turkey's as managers. AVB is probably the best manager we've had, therefore is prepared to invest in him; i.e. buying players.

I heard a rumour that when Abramovich enquired about buying Spurs,that it was seen as a joke and it was thought that it was someone fucking about?

Abramovich was interested in buying Spurs but Lewis would have wanted too much. On the other hand Bates wanted to sell.

I heard a rumour that when Abramovich enquired about buying Spurs,that it was seen as a joke and it was thought that it was someone fucking about?

Lewis and Danny knew that once they built a stadium through government and commercial revenue, they would stand to make a much bigger profit down the line. Once the stadiums built, the club will probably be worth around £450 million, maybe more