Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
andrus

American Coach in London

Some of you may have already seen this, but prior to this season NBC came out with the following promo to appeal to American fans.  It stars comedian Jason Sudeikas as an AVB-replacement that General Stupid could really get behind.  Enjoy boys...

Absolutely.  But the hope is that the commercial would appeal to a wider audience in the U.S., so hopefully that was acheived.  I just read something interesting the other day that soccer is the #2 sport for U.S. 14-24 year olds.  Most of that can be chalked up to the FIFA video game, but that should be a good sign for things to come.

Sadly, this is how many(most?) Americans view the game.  Guess that's why it's so funny........

But are the people laughing at the sketch or laughing at Americans' understanding of football?

I will say one thing; I recently heard that year by year football/ or soccer is becoming more popular.

But are the people laughing at the sketch or laughing at Americans' understanding of football?

I will say one thing; I recently heard that year by year football/ or soccer is becoming more popular.

Probably both, but I'll tell you one thing I've realized since joining this forum: Being born in the UK does not make someone a football expert.  :-)

Oh, we are laughing at ourselves because we know people like that.

Good on the stat about #2 for 14-24yo, but is that new?  I thought "soccer"

was the big sport for little kids for 10-15 years?  Maybe that's the little kids,

10-15 years later?

A strong pro league(MLS) will be helpful.

I don't particularly follow USA football, but my impression is that it's definitely on the rise. Players go to European leagues more regularly and vice-versa. I think it's only a matter of time before USA will become one of the top 10 football countries. It may not happen too soon, but if the interest is there, the money will follow, and the league will become stronger

Probably both, but I'll tell you one thing I've realized since joining this forum: Being born in the UK does not make someone a football expert.  :-)

I can't argue with that.

I love the 3 points part.

The problem is that the US play sports that are exclusive to North America.

How many people have basketball, baseball, NFL as their main sport outside of North America?

In Italy basketball is probably the second most popular team sport, but nothing like NBA, and anyway miles away from football. There are a few Italian players in the NBA, though. I have played and enjoyed for quite a few years

In Italy basketball is probably the second most popular team sport, but nothing like NBA, and anyway miles away from football. There are a few Italian players in the NBA, though. I have played and enjoyed for quite a few years

I know I follow basketball but it doesn't come anywhere near football.