Spurs Web
CJW1968

Let's Hear it For Tim! Extend His Contract!

That is why AVB should have been left in charge and allowed to do it his way. Why put a novice in charge? There is a possibility of disastrous consequences. The second part of your statement is bollocks. He didn’t walk away and did show a fight. He stood up against a director who put him in an awkward position. Anybody that had guts would have told Levy to stick it. Your third point; I agree. What do fans expect from such a short period of time; AVB was given 7 players to embed (4 of those players he didn’t want). Considering all that he was still in a good position, in all cup competitions and had a very good defence before injuries. Liverpool beat us with 5 goals and we only had ten men. City beat us 6-0 at their fortress. You also stated – below – that Arsenal is a top side and miles ahead of us; but they conceded 6 goals, as we did at City’s fortress. Which tells me that they conceded 6 goals against a very, very good team.

Second point you made: As you said; Arsenal are a top side. But that didn’t stop us playing very well against them under AVB and only conceding one; and in my opinion we should have had a draw. AVB’s team against Arsenal was a better team than Sherwood picked against Arsenal.

Whether we were lucky or not against United they are a poor side. WBA, Newcastle, Spurs, Swansea (in the cup), Liverpool, City (who put 4 past them) and Everton. They are not that good and probably have the same chance as us for a top 4th spot. City, Arsenal and Chelsea will have three of those spots. Everton, united, Spurs and Liverpool will be fighting for the other one.

True, but we don’t know what we would have scored against Stoke under AVB.

For a first season manager we finished quite well actually. This season we will never know how he finished; but I bet a lot higher than Sherwood and a place in the top 4.

I’ve already gave my opinion about Spurs at the Emirates under AVB above. Yes, I agree that our match against West Ham was poor, but look at United last season and they won the league; but had some poor results against lower teams. West Ham are the only poor team that beat us this season. That really doesn’t tell you that much.

As I said; Levy wasn’t going to sack AVB if he kowtowed to his demands; therefore he wasn’t thinking that AVB couldn’t take us further. Remember; we are talking about Levy who hasn’t got a good history in making the right decisions. How do you know he wasn’t bothered about being sacked? What we do know he was bothered about is being put into an awkward position by Levy; to me he did the honourable thing. Not to have done so would have shown his weakness. And not decent and good manager can work under those conditions.

Against who? Stoke (poor team), WBA (who has no manager) and a poor United team. The one exception is Southampton who are not doing that well at the moment and where punching above their own weight. The only quality team he faced beat his team.

Bill Nicholson was an assistant manager to Walter Winterbottom and they both went to the World Cup in 1958. So had some experience dealing with top teams. When he was appointed manager it took him 3 years to build the double winning team/ winning trophies.

The second best manager Arthur Rowe managed Chelsmford City and they won the Southern League cup. When he took over Spurs they were in the second division.

Then you would be wrong.

I could, but I can’t – at the moment – under Sherwood.

I agree “fans are so hypercritical etcâ€; and that is why we should have given AVB until the end of the season. The same chance you want for Sherwood.

That has been denied (abut PSG). This was just paper talk.

AVB was doing it his way. Appointed Baldini, the man he head hunted and Levy went out to get him. You can't leave a man in charge when he's not happy and he has no relationship with the Chairman and has alienated the medical staff after the Lloris saga. Blaming the fans for the atmosphere and sucking the ball into our net. Picking fights with the media. Falling out with Freund. 

Now he didn't want 4 players...LOL

There's always the possibility of disastrous consequences in every decision, but Levy knows Sherwood, who in turn knows the players and gives Levy time to head hunt a manager in the summer if Sherwood's not up to the task. 

He did walk away without a fight - mutual consent. Which shows it was the right decision for him to leave, we need to be pulling in the same direction and sadly as other managers have found out you need to get on with Levy. 

We wasn't in a good position once you look at the whole picture objectively and I've pointed that out in my original post. So agree to disagree.

I didn't feel we played well away at the emirates under AVB - the amount of times they cut us open through on goal was worrying. But again, I don't blame him for losing, new team, tough fixture against a top team. 

If United are a poor side, what does that make us? I'd like to be positive when we win instead of finding the negatives. You never looked for negatives when we beat poor opposition under AVB, so why start now?

If he was bothered, he'd had never agreed to leave by mutual consent and wouldn't have caused so much negativity. Levy parted ways with AVB because he felt he couldn't take us any further and his relationship with the club was unattainable. AVB can't do his job in a negative environment, and some of the problems he faced was created by himself. 

If AVB had kept a positive outlook over the rough spell I doubt Levy would have been concerned. Again a lot happened that leaded up to him being sacked. 

Once again, you find ways to be negative regarding the points Sherwood has picked up, but never once raised the same concerns when AVB was beating lower opposition.

Bill Nicholson didn't have much experience which ever way you look at it, and nor did Keith Burkingshaw who was appointed in house. Chris Ramsey one of our assistants has all the experience you could want in a coach. Ramsey has achieved a lot in a distinguished coaching career – he has coached the England U20 side to the 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship. He has worked for the FA as a Regional Director of Coaching. He was a scout for the England team under Keegan. As well as the UEFA Pro Licence, which he obtained in 2004, he has an FA Coach Education Diploma, a diploma in Treatment of Sports Injuries and also a first degree in Education, and Masters in Science. He was recently asked by Peter Taylor to be his Assistant Head Coach for the England Under-20 side for this summer’s FIFA World Cup in Turkey. He’s insanely qualified.

I'm puzzled you still didn't find any worrying trends under AVB. Lack of goals from open play. Conceding goals. Not knowing his best 11. Buying players for insane amounts of money and not knowing what to do with them or even playing to their strengths. Playing players out of position. Being incredible stubborn, and then suddenly changing formation, chopping and changing players around in key positions and not building any familiarity. 

From a football perspective, I would give AVB all the time in the world, but the moment you lose interest, the players stop trying, blaming fans, media, the pitch, medical staff - then I'm unable to give him any more chances it's far too risky.

I was fully behind AVB until he left. I'm fully behind Sherwood. Whilst you've shown a loyal tendency to AVB which many fans have picked up on and it's now starting to become an agenda. 

Blaming Sherwood to suit an agenda or personal vendetta is far too simplistic and counterproductive. I'll be here long after AVB and any other manager. 

Support the club and manager.

How are we one of the top clubs in the world?

Hard to argue in performance, but I think we make top twenty (or 25) most supported teams online?  Not sure if I can get a link but I remember reading this recently.  We pay enough to managers for sure!

Top club in the world? Trophies won, worldwide fan base, monetary income etc. It's not just about what you did yesterday or today, it's about the history of the club over a period of time and that makes us a top club!

Can't believe you even question it!

Voice, just a couple of other points: I find it hard to accept your reasons for two humilating defeats under AVB - "we lost to Liverpool 5-0 with ten men." In that match we never had one single shot on target. The first time ever in a Spurs Premiership game since the Optima stats service began. I don't suppose it would have been prudent for Rodgers to sub the keeper for an outfield player but he could have done or the keeper certainly could have sat on the ground and relaxed as we never troubled him once. City as a 'fortress' - you can use Arsenal conceding six goals as evidence that Spurs can be excused for being thrashed 6- 0 or I could offer City 1- 0 Crystal Palace (Dec 28th)

Spurs under Sherwood beat a poor Stoke team 3-0 and for you that's still not convincing? We'll never know what the score might have been under AVB is your response - no, we won't so that's a fairly empty hypothetical point. It was a very good performance and as Turks said when had we scored 3 before ( and against Soton)

When you say "How do you know he (AVB) wasn't bothered by being sacked" it implies you would want evidence to back Turks claim which is fair enough but do you have evidence to support the claim AVB didn't want 4 players? In fact, who are they? And is this public knowledge? If it is, I apologise, I read a lot of newspapers every day and this must have passed me by? I'd guess at Lamela for one?

To your first paragraph:
We don’t know the whole story with that.
To your second paragraph: Now he didn't want 4 players...LOL
Are you twisting things around and trying to be clever? He drew those conclusions at the beginning. They only came out recently.

There's always the possibility of disastrous consequences in every decision, but Levy knows Sherwood, who in turn knows the players and gives Levy time to head hunt a manager in the summer if Sherwood's not up to the task.

Levy knows him so well that he only gave him an 18 month contract while still looking for a manager.
“Mutual consent†is the official wording. Which meant that he wasn’t going to kowtow to Levy’s demands.

We wasn't in a good position once you look at the whole picture objectively and I've pointed that out in my original post. So agree to disagree.

But you are not looking at it objectively; you are biased by your dislike for AVB. I did say that I hope he does well and in my original article I said we should get behind Sherwood.
Of course you didn’t feel we played well at the Emirates under AVB as you are hostile towards him. If it was somebody else then you might have said differently.

If United are a poor side, what does that make us? I'd like to be positive when we win instead of finding the negatives. You never looked for negatives when we beat poor opposition under AVB, so why start now?

But you are finding negatives and yes I have found negatives under AVB; you should read my posts or my articles.

If he was bothered, he'd had never agreed to leave by mutual consent and wouldn't have caused so much negativity. Levy parted ways with AVB because he felt he couldn't take us any further and his relationship with the club was unattainable. AVB can't do his job in a negative environment, and some of the problems he faced was created by himself.

That is your interpretation on the wording “mutal consent†not mine. And yours is only because you don’t like AVB.

If AVB had kept a positive outlook over the rough spell I doubt Levy would have been concerned. Again a lot happened that leaded up to him being sacked. 

Again this is just speculation on your part.

Once again, you find ways to be negative regarding the points Sherwood has picked up, but never once raised the same concerns when AVB was beating lower opposition.

Again and as I said above; I did.
Actually when I spoke to Bill Nicholson years ago he told me that he learnt a lot from being the Assistant manager.

I'm puzzled you still didn't find any worrying trends under AVB. Lack of goals from open play. Conceding goals. Not knowing his best 11. Buying players for insane amounts of money and not knowing what to do with them or even playing to their strengths. Playing players out of position. Being incredible stubborn, and then suddenly changing formation, chopping and changing players around in key positions and not building any familiarity.

If you had read my articles for SpursWeb apps then you wouldn’t be puzzled.
And who said AVB lost interest?

I was fully behind AVB until he left. I'm fully behind Sherwood. Whilst you've shown a loyal tendency to AVB which many fans have picked up on and it's now starting to become an agenda.

It doesn’t sound like you were behind AVB. As for Sherwood; yes I am critical, like I was against AVB and if you had read my article probably you would see that I said we should get behind Sherwood. You should try treading what I wrote probably before jumping in to attack.

Support the club and manager.

I do, but that doesn’t mean one can’t be critical. Again read what I said in my latest article for spursWeb. You’ll see that I said we should back Sherwood. But that didn’t mean Levy would give him the chance.

I find it amusing that you're trying to paint me as somebody that didn't like AVB, considering I supported him when he was in charge just like I'm doing now with Sherwood.

If my objective outlook after he left now constitutes as me disliking AVB, then I'm not really sure what I can say. 

Voice, just a couple of other points: I find it hard to accept your reasons for two humilating defeats under AVB - "we lost to Liverpool 5-0 with ten men." In that match we never had one single shot on target. The first time ever in a Spurs Premiership game since the Optima stats service began. I don't suppose it would have been prudent for Rodgers to sub the keeper for an outfield player but he could have done or the keeper certainly could have sat on the ground and relaxed as we never troubled him once. City as a 'fortress' - you can use Arsenal conceding six goals as evidence that Spurs can be excused for being thrashed 6- 0 or I could offer City 1- 0 Crystal Palace (Dec 28th)

Actually we had shots on goal against Liverpool. Up and until we got a player sent off. They had 19 shots on goal; most after we had a player sent off.
We weren’t talking about Crystal Palace but City v Arsenal. Each match is different. We can play that game all day picking other matches to prove some sort of point other.

Spurs under Sherwood beat a poor Stoke team 3-0 and for you that's still not convincing? We'll never know what the score might have been under AVB is your response - no, we won't so that's a fairly empty hypothetical point. It was a very good performance and as Turks said when had we scored 3 before ( and against Soton)

I wouldn’t call us beating a poor Stoke by 3 goals a good performance. But then again we won, and that was important. Like when we beat teams by one goal under AVB. We won.

When you say "How do you know he (AVB) wasn't bothered by being sacked" it implies you would want evidence to back Turks claim which is fair enough but do you have evidence to support the claim AVB didn't want 4 players? In fact, who are they? And is this public knowledge? If it is, I apologise, I read a lot of newspapers every day and this must have passed me by? I'd guess at Lamela for one?

“Evidence� I only know what I was personally told by a friend who works within the walls of Spurs. But I can’t prove it.
As for AVB not wanting 4 players; this was actually in the papers.

I find it amusing that you're trying to paint me as somebody that didn't like AVB, considering I supported him when he was in charge just like I'm doing now with Sherwood.

If my objective outlook after he left now constitutes as me disliking AVB, then I'm not really sure what I can say. 

Going by what you recently wrote you don't show that much support; mainly when it is only your opinion and conjecture.

I supported AVB and criticised him. I've criticised Sherwood and said we should support him. What have I done wrong?

Going by what you recently wrote you don't show that much support; mainly when it is only your opinion and conjecture.

I supported AVB and criticised him. I've criticised Sherwood and said we should support him. What have I done wrong?

Much support because of what I wrote recently? So that automatically changes the posts I made sticking up for AVB? 

The fact you keep criticizing Sherwood for winning games 3 nil, but during the 1.0 Hull game you made this post.

With a team coming to White Hart Lane to play defensive football we did well. Hull, though, won't be able to play the same sort of football as there has t be a winner on the night.

You criticize Sherwood for not scoring enough goals, but always brushed off our goal record under AVB. 15 goals in 16 games and had a minus 6 goal difference.

You point out that you will support Sherwood, but only when your done criticizing him, which is ironic considering you always stuck up for AVB. You don't show any balance to your views, it comes across as if you have an agenda, waiting for Sherwood to fail so you can quickly pipe up and say "should never have sacked AVB."

BTW there's a big difference losing 6 nil away and losing 6.3.

Massive over reaction from some, always try to look at things from a football perspective. Problem Saturday sherwood set the team up tactically wrong, however if eriksen scores that sitter arsenal have to be more cavalier and we would of picked them off on the break and 4-4-2 looks a great shout. Throughout the game I saw Tim pacing the touchline with passion and he was super pissed with vlad for the first goal watch his reaction when he didn't get tight. He found something funny from les on the touchline, shows he's relaxed and enjoying himself for me, hes not a robot. Arsenal were pretty much at full strength, we looked fatigued after two huge games in 3-4 days. However poor we were on the day we were bang in the game still until roses brain fart. We have alot of young players who will have brain farts from time to time. Anyone who thinks were miles behind arsenal are mad, we will beat them at WHL and however much they have been lorded they will win fuck all again

Much support because of what I wrote recently? So that automatically changes the posts I made sticking up for AVB?

Can I have that in English?

The fact you keep criticizing Sherwood for winning games 3 nil, but during the 1.0 Hull game you made this post.
With a team coming to White Hart Lane to play defensive football we did well. Hull, though, won't be able to play the same sort of football as there has t be a winner on the night.

Hull are a better side than Stoke. But, yes, they were defensive. Stoke weren’t, they were poor. Your point?

You criticize Sherwood for not scoring enough goals, but always brushed off our goal record under AVB. 15 goals in 16 games and had a minus 6 goal difference.

Actually you should read what I wrote. I often criticised that AVB‘s midfield not getting to the lone striker.

You point out that you will support Sherwood, but only when your done criticizing him, which is ironic considering you always stuck up for AVB. You don't show any balance to your views, it comes across as if you have an agenda, waiting for Sherwood to fail so you can quickly pipe up and say "should never have sacked AVB."

I also criticised AVB. As for balance. I am more critical for not giving AVB a chance. Throwing Sherwood in the deep end and then sacking him would be pointless (that is if he can’t get into the top 4). They might as well have kept AVB.

BTW there's a big difference losing 6 nil away and losing 6.3.

Not really; they both conceded 6 goals. This is against a team that you say are very good (Arsenal). As for Arsenal scoring 3; if you had read what I said in previous posts; i said that we need to get our midfield to get the ball to our lone striker. The only criticism against AVB was that we weren’t scoring enough. Which I acknowledged.

Can I have that in English?

Hull are a better side than Stoke. But, yes, they were defensive. Stoke weren’t, they were poor. Your point?

Actually you should read what I wrote. I often criticised that AVB‘s midfield not getting to the lone striker.

I also criticised AVB. As for balance. I am more critical for not giving AVB a chance. Throwing Sherwood in the deep end and then sacking him would be pointless (that is if he can’t get into the top 4). They might as well have kept AVB.

Not really; they both conceded 6 goals. This is against a team that you say are very good (Arsenal). As for Arsenal scoring 3; if you had read what I said in previous posts; i said that we need to get our midfield to get the ball to our lone striker. The only criticism against AVB was that we weren’t scoring enough. Which I acknowledged.

I'm fully aware of my grammar limitations, so please feel free to rib or take the piss anytime, but please bear with me, it'll be a long time before I'm writing articles for websites. The point I tried to make was my criticism of AVB doesn't rewrite history. Where I often stuck up for him and supported him throughout his reign as spurs manager.

Hull are a better side than Stoke? Yes, but only by 1 point. My point is quite clear, you choose to always find the positives with AVB who struggled to score goals at home - but feel the need to criticize Tim for only scoring 3. Even though he's only been in the job for 5 minutes.

Again, I would love to have kept AVB if it meant everyone pulling in the right direction. But with on and off the field problems, I can understand why the club made the decision, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with Levy or AVB for falling out.

I think appointing Sherwood was the best option for many reasons. If it works out GREAT. If it doesn't, we'll have 6 months to scout candidates and they'll be better options in the summer. AVB was unable to stay, which makes me believe there we're bigger problems behind the scenes - keeping him on wouldn't be any good for anyone.

There was a 3 goal difference between Arsenal and City. There was a 6 goal difference with us.

We wasn't scoring goals and we were also shipping in goals. After 6 months, he still wasn't able to find the solution which was a huge concern, which is why I'm baffled that you believe AVB could achieve top 4. I've spoken at length regarded the tactics AVB used during your half way season review and I thought my opinion of his tenure was very balanced.

The fact is - AVB has gone and Tim is now in control. We cannot turn back time, nor should we.

I cannot remember when I was more depressed than after the 0-5 at home against Liverpool, but I still felt we should have stuck with him. We were poor but not on to a hiding until Paulinho got his red card.

Now Sherwood is here, so I am no longer concerned about what happened with AVB. It's done - move on.

The fact is - AVB has gone and Tim is now in control. We cannot turn back time, nor should we.

I cannot remember when I was more depressed than after the 0-5 at home against Liverpool, but I still felt we should have stuck with him. We were poor but not on to a hiding until Paulinho got his red card.

Now Sherwood is here, so I am no longer concerned about what happened with AVB. It's done - move on.

To be fair, Liverpool dominated us from the first kick of the game till the last. They could have won 10 nil to be honest. 

To be fair, Liverpool dominated us from the first kick of the game till the last. They could have won 10 nil to be honest. 

We'll never know what would have happened, just as we don't know what would have happened if Eriksen has taken his chance against Arsenal.

We may have got hammered against the Scousers with 11 on the pitch for the whole game, but also we may not have!

Anyway - what's done is done. We move on.

I am not sure if there is an argument going on here or just a strong difference of opinions?

My view is this, I don't 'support' the manager who ever it is, but I want the team to be successful which in turn means the manager is doing well. I openly admit, as stated in other threads, I thought at the time and still do today, that sacking AVB was the wrong thing to do, based on the fact that there was not a valid replacement. Who at the end of the day will be the choice of Levy/Baldini. I am not against Sherwood but I do think he is not the right choice, but I hope he proves me wrong, because I want the club to move forward. The gap between us and the big four is now a chasm and getting bigger. Some of the decisions Sherwood is making would not be tolerated under AVB and I am sure most would be very vocal against AVB if he had made the same decisions. Where AVB was against Ade and Benny then Sherwood is against Holtby and Siggy and this I don't understand. But they may be injured I actually don't know. I thought the set up against the Arse Saturday was suicidal and playing bentalob like that on his own was unfare to the lad as he needed help, Capoue? Sherwood is trying to stamp his mark on the team, as all managers do, but again would AVB have been given so much freedom to play the way the team is playing at the moment? I really don't think we would have been any worse off now under AVB in the League as Sherwood as us. I cannot see where Levy is trying to take us at the moment, I feel we have taken massive steps backwards and are in danger of falling off the edge into mid table obscurity. But at the same time have the ability to prove everyone wrong!! We still have the chance to break the top four as Man U are so poor and Liverpool are catchable. Every game has negatives and positives but I saw too many negatives on Saturday and I saw an inexperienced manager not capable of doing anything about it. But maybe that's because of my blind desire to beat the woolwich wanderers!!! As someone else has already said AVB has gone and Sherwood is here so that's that, and I will carry on going supporting whatever or whoever is the Lillywhite of Bill Nicholsons Club!

Actually we had shots on goal against Liverpool. Up and until we got a player sent off. They had 19 shots on goal; most after we had a player sent off.

We weren’t talking about Crystal Palace but City v Arsenal. Each match is different. We can play that game all day picking other matches to prove some sort of point other.

I wouldn’t call us beating a poor Stoke by 3 goals a good performance. But then again we won, and that was important. Like when we beat teams by one goal under AVB. We won.

“Evidence� I only know what I was personally told by a friend who works within the walls of Spurs. But I can’t prove it.

As for AVB not wanting 4 players; this was actually in the papers.

I quoted the official stat for the game which is Spurs had no shots on target. It's not my opinion it's a fact. You say " Actually we had shots on goal" so you deny a fact. I'll try this one on you - Spurs play in White at home - am I wrong? Voice, please, it's just a simple but depressing fact - Spurs had no shots on target. Google it and see what it says.

" We weren't talking about Crystal Palace but City v Arsenal" - Do you think I don't know that? I said, if you want to re- read, it 'offered' Crystal Palace as an example of a team who didn't concede 6 goals - I really thought that point was clear? And as for " we can play that game all day picking other matches to prove some sort of point or other" well, it's a game you seemed happy to introduce with your comparison with Arsenal. I just thought I would enter into your game by mentioning the Palace result .

I will stick my neck out and say you are the only person on this Forum and perhaps in a tiny minority in the ground ( and like you I was there) who thought it wasn't a " good performance" by beating Stoke 3-0. I thought choosing the words "good performance" wasn't too over the top but clearly it is to you.

bla bla bla. This topic is about Sherwood and you still talking about Boas. AVB is history. we were supporting him, we gave him all this chances, although we didn't want him. But he fucked up! End of story

In fact, there are some rumors going round the web. About masonry and old men enveloped in black cloaks having orgies with underaged teens. AVB took part of it and thereby he was asked to sabotage our start.

He, Abramowitsch and the "special cunt" made that arrangement in secret to ensure chelsea one of the top four places. But that's not all. It is said that one particular reason why Boas consented was a photo showing him and a transsexual filipino in an indecent position, believed that they have danced the chocolate cha cha.

If the source is to be believed, everything is clear to me now! suspicious, really suspicious... 

bla bla bla. This topic is about Sherwood and you still talking about Boas. AVB is history. we were supporting him, we gave him all this chances, although we didn't want him. But he fucked up! End of story

In fact, there are some rumors going round the web. About masonry and old men enveloped in black cloaks having orgies with underaged teens. AVB took part of it and thereby he was asked to sabotage our start.

He, Abramowitsch and the "special cunt" made that arrangement in secret to ensure chelsea one of the top four places. But that's not all. It is said that one particular reason why Boas consented was a photo showing him and a transsexual filipino in an indecent position, believed that they have danced the chocolate cha cha.

If the source is to be believed, everything is clear to me now! suspicious, really suspicious...

WTF

Where can I sign...? :)

Lol and you believe this.