Spurs Web
CJW1968

Let's Hear it For Tim! Extend His Contract!

It's already something usual to play poor in the first part of the game.

I was not surprised at all yesterday, I knew we will come back and get better in the second half.

We did a huge mistake by hiring AVB, when we knew that Chelsea did the same mistake.

Now let's not do it again, we have a "Di Mateo" scenario. That man won UCL for Chelsea and in the summer they wanted to fire him. Even they couldn't do it, Chelsea fired him after 10 games next season.

Tim will make mistakes, we will lose games, let's just not stay in background waiting for him to lose and then jump on his head.

Van Gaal loves discipline. I don't believe we need that. Tim is like Harry: Make the players happy and they will win.

I agree on the part about not jumping on Sherwood's back when results go against us.

But at the same time lets not get carried away and also suggest he is the answer, just yet!

As is mostly the case when a new manager comes in, he changes things, training, preparation, tactics, etc, etc. this usually has an 'uplift', the players tend to respond but then after a while they either revert to type or the manager is clever enough to keep the momentum going. Also sequence of games helps, and we have had a good run of winnable games, now we have a run of games that are far more mixed and looking at our next 5 away games very unlikely to win even 3 of the five let alone all five.

Let's enjoy this for the moment(arse besides) and then look at end of season. That is and only then when we see if we have improved or remained the same.

Every game is a test. If you win it's all hunky-dory, if you lose (no matter who to) then you are shit, on a downward spiral and not gonna be in the top 4. Even the pundits can't make their mind up who will finish top 4. They change their minds every week subject to who has won and who has lost

This thread's getting crazy! Providing a response to every comment made by someone else to justify your comment that was different to their comment?????

Please do not respond to this comment with your comments justifying why you commented and justified your previous comments made to a third party about the comments they had made in reaction to your previous comments made.........................

No comment

:o)

I can't remember if I said this somewhere else, I've had a few, but I have also been impressed with Tim dealing with the media.  When he talks about him having to get 4th or him facing the chop, that's really savvy.  He's saying we need to do well given the talent we have, but he's taking the pressure off the players.  I can't remember someone else doing that before as a way of taking pressure off without being negative, that's really smart. And selfless.

When he gives all the credit to the players when they do well, that's also very savvy.  He's making it look like he's not doing much of anything, but of course he's doing a lot.

AVB was good with the media in terms of what he said about the team, club and other teams, but very insecure when criticised himself.  Harry was very savvy with the media but it always about making himself look good.  And he never saw past the next match, which is why he never rotated or gave some players enough chance to develop.

Sherwood is a lot more intelligent than Harry or his image from what I've seen so far imo.

People compare him to Harry, but I think he has Harry's man-management, communication skills and accent, but not a lot of other similarities.  Harry had a good philosophy but I reckon Tim is a lot smarter in coaching, tactics and thinking long term.

I can't remember if I said this somewhere else, I've had a few, but I have also been impressed with Tim dealing with the media.  When he talks about him having to get 4th or him facing the chop, that's really savvy.  He's saying we need to do well given the talent we have, but he's taking the pressure off the players.  I can't remember someone else doing that before as a way of taking pressure off without being negative, that's really smart. And selfless.

When he gives all the credit to the players when they do well, that's also very savvy.  He's making it look like he's not doing much of anything, but of course he's doing a lot.

AVB was good with the media in terms of what he said about the team, club and other teams, but very insecure when criticised himself.  Harry was very savvy with the media but it always about making himself look good.  And he never saw past the next match, which is why he never rotated or gave some players enough chance to develop.

Sherwood is a lot more intelligent than Harry or his image from what I've seen so far imo.

People compare him to Harry, but I think he has Harry's communication skills and accent, but not a lot of other similarities.  Harry had a good philosophy but I reckon Tim is a lot smarter in coaching, tactics and thinking long term.

Very good observations.

Also, for the first time it looks like Ade has responded to some coaching, and attacks the ball in the area.TR's influence ?

Citeh keepers(whichever one plays) won't like that.

Tim has done everything right so far, and I am , for the first time really not bothered about going out of the domestic cups early.

We've had a rest today, and I bet the whole squad were watching the citeh game, and must have picked up some good stuff from the way the match went.

My ONLY criticism of tactics is Hugo's long kicked clearances, I would prefer thorws out to the wing backs and retaining possession......

COYS

I'm glad we're winning but I want to see his managerial affect against the big clubs...we've lost to Arsenal in the Cup and City at home.  Let's see what he can do with the big boys because that's what is going to dictate top 4.

I think Tim's doing a great job, but I can't help but think the boy van Gaal has already been lined up to take over after the World Cup.

Can't say I'd be dissapointed if either Tim or LVG took the reigns next season, although it would appear a little harsh on Tim at this stage.

I'm glad we're winning but I want to see his managerial affect against the big clubs...we've lost to Arsenal in the Cup and City at home.  Let's see what he can do with the big boys because that's what is going to dictate top 4.

Just watched the record of yesterday's match and was delighted. I don't think it's a natural thing to win at the st. james park, but I do know Newcastle is in poor form at the moment. I think it was a good decision from Tim to play Bentaleb n Capoue. the partnership between Nabil and Etienne is a good one and I hope it will work out for the future! 

Lost against Arsenal away from home during the busiest schedule of the season...after only being in the job for 5 minutes. City at home was a terrible result and performance. Tactically Tim got his selection all wrong.

Personally we don't need to beat the big boys to dictate who will finish in the top 4, we beat Arsenal and they still managed to finish above us. It's a case of winning as many games as possible, what's the point if we beat Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal but lose against Cardiff, Southampton and Fulham?

Is Tim the long term answer? I'm not sure, but he's doing an excellent job so fair play.

Don't get me wrong Turk - I'm not calling for his beheading...just am cautious on my praise for him just yet.

To be honest with you, the talent this team possesses we should be better off than we are.  I'm not surprised that the team has turned around as it's clear AVB was not the right man for the job but I'm not willing to give Tim the job long term just yet. 

I do agree what good is it beating the top 4 when you lose to the bottom 4 - I just want us to be competitive with the top 4...consistently.

While he's manager he's got my full support.

I fear levy will sack him as soon as the side hits a rocky patch of form.Got di matteo scenario written all over it success 1st season as soon as he has an oppurtunity to get rid and get a big name in he will.Tim has been tactically aware changed personnel and formations for different game which shows he's not a one dimensional thinker and i like that.Nobody can stand here right now and criticise him.Needs to get those badges.

I fear levy will sack him as soon as the side hits a rocky patch of form.Got di matteo scenario written all over it success 1st season as soon as he has an oppurtunity to get rid and get a big name in he will.Tim has been tactically aware changed personnel and formations for different game which shows he's not a one dimensional thinker and i like that.Nobody can stand here right now and criticise him.Needs to get those badges.

11/12 they only managed to make it 6th. di matteo was only a puppet and even Kermit from the muppet show could have done the Job. because it was a clear thing that Chelsea will win the CL, no matter who is in charge. Fucking Abramobitch!

No it isn't. What is this fixation with having to beat the top 4? I have said before that you only get 3 points for beating them, the same as you get for beating Fulham or Cardiff.

If we lost home and away to Chelsea, Liverpool, Man C and Arsenal that is only 8 games. Win every other game and you will qualify for Champions league. We have struggled in recent years to qualify after beating these teams because we have lost to the dross at the bottom, such as Bolton and Wolves!

It is nice to beast these teams but not compulsory. Arsenal have beaten Liverpool and lost to them, drawn and lost to Man U, lost to Man C, drew with Chelsea. So Arsenal record against the other top 4? W1 D2 L3 which equates to 5 points from a possible 18! Not great but they are still second in the league only 1 point behind the leaders. 

I rest my case!

No it isn't. What is this fixation with having to beat the top 4? I have said before that you only get 3 points for beating them, the same as you get for beating Fulham or Cardiff.

If we lost home and away to Chelsea, Liverpool, Man C and Arsenal that is only 8 games. Win every other game and you will qualify for Champions league. We have struggled in recent years to qualify after beating these teams because we have lost to the dross at the bottom, such as Bolton and Wolves!

It is nice to beast these teams but not compulsory. Arsenal have beaten Liverpool and lost to them, drawn and lost to Man U, lost to Man C, drew with Chelsea. So Arsenal record against the other top 4? W1 D2 L3 which equates to 5 points from a possible 18! Not great but they are still second in the league only 1 point behind the leaders.

I rest my case!

Spot on mate.

What this squad does not have is confidence...you're right in a perfect world losing to the top 4 twice would not be the end of the world but each loss against them dents the fragile confidence of the club.  I have hopes for great success for Spurs both in the EPL and CL but you can only have that success by being competitive and winning against the big names as well as the smaller names.  There are obviously more teams outside the top 4 hence more points to be had but in my view, without the swagger and confidence you get from being able to dispatch the top squads, you'll struggle against the lessers all things being equal.

Now this year for us is quite different in so many different ways and I have hope that it will end beautifully for us...but I still stick to it...if we want great success, keep our best players, and threaten year in and year out we have to start competing and winning these top 4 games.

Just one crazy Canadian's opinion.

What this squad does not have is confidence...you're right in a perfect world losing to the top 4 twice would not be the end of the world but each loss against them dents the fragile confidence of the club.  I have hopes for great success for Spurs both in the EPL and CL but you can only have that success by being competitive and winning against the big names as well as the smaller names.  There are obviously more teams outside the top 4 hence more points to be had but in my view, without the swagger and confidence you get from being able to dispatch the top squads, you'll struggle against the lessers all things being equal.

Now this year for us is quite different in so many different ways and I have hope that it will end beautifully for us...but I still stick to it...if we want great success, keep our best players, and threaten year in and year out we have to start competing and winning these top 4 games.

Just one crazy Canadian's opinion.

we did beat the teams in the top 4 when Harry was there and still couldn't get above 4th place, trust me it's nice to spank the likes of Chelsea and Arse etc, but it wins you nought!

Doing it one year or another is nice...make a tradition of winning and it becomes natural.

What coaches look for in those games is good performances. Executing on game plans. Accepting responsibility for roles etc etc. If they get that against top teams, even though they loose, they can take positives back to the dressing room and training track to build on. I think our issue with the Pool & Citeh games was the nature of the loss.

All that aside beating lower teams is all about points. Win ugly or win well - who cares - just win. Points points points!

Cesare Prandelli being linked with Spurs manager job.What does anyone think?

do not want an Italian coach. He'll bore the fucking pants off of us! I alos happen to think that Van Gaal is probably done & dusted. Personally, if Tim does Ok this year then why change anyway? I would much prefer a succesful English coach and if Tim does OK then happy days!

Its a tough call, Tim Sherwood may be just what we need, unless he can't get the players respect (and not just our current roster but great players from around europe as well). We need to wait and see we must win europa  and we must remain in at least 5th (but preferably top 4) for the season and with that should come a contract extension? if we can get in the top four, considering the talent level of those teams currently in the top four, Tim Sherwood could coach us indefinitely