Spurs Web
voice

Review of Spurs at the half way stage

My first article for SpursWeb was called “A review of AVB – so far†looking at how AVB was progressing etc. I then planned, after the last game over the Christmas period (against United), to do a follow up; to see how AVB has developed and progressed his team at the halfway stage. Unfortunately I can’t continue with that as he has become a dead parrot (i.e. removed from his post) and replaced by a novice. So I’ve had to re-jiggle the title and the article; never mind… it is all about Spurs successes and a top 4 spot at the end of the day and not major earthquakes created by the Spurs director; in the case of Levy I suppose the good news is that he is not Vincent Tan, the billionaire superstitious owner of Cardiff City who wanted a red and an eight rolled into one so it would spell; disaster!

If I remember rightly I ended my review with West Ham beating Spurs in the league and said; “So here we are now. If we were giving an infant school summary a little way through the year’s schooling we would say, “keep on track, be careful, not be too cocky and for Christ sake watch those that are struggling beneath you, because if shit is going to fly it will come from that endâ€; just ask Man City (Cardiff), Arsenal (Aston Villa), Chelsea (Everton, ok…maybe not the literal other end) and Man Utd (WBA), as they learnt to their cost. So AVB and his team of all stars have been warned and their cards marked.â€

Since then, under AVB, we’ve won all our Europa early Cup stages and progressed a bit further in the League Cup. In the league we won 4 matches (Villa, Hull, Fulham and Sunderland), drew two (Everton 0-0 and Man United 2-2). But it was the spectacular defeats that did AVB in. Three defeats, two at home and one away; Manchester City beat us 6-0 on their ground, while Newcastle and Liverpool beat us 1-0 and 5-0 respectively at White Hart Lane. It was the Liverpool match that pushed Levy over the edge. In fact, according to reports, the next day he had a meeting with AVB and insisted that he use Emmanuel Adebayor if he wanted to save his job. No manager could work under that sort of pressure; he either picks the team, as he sees fit, or he should resign honourably. He resigned honourably. If Levy wants to manage the team then he should have replaced AVB with himself. Which beggars the question who is pulling Sherwood’s strings? It has already been reported that Sherwood has a frosty relationship with the director of sport for Tottenham Franco Baldini. Anyway, that is probably something to debate at a later stage.

Was it right to sack AVB? In my personal opinion; no. For a start we were still in a healthy position; about 6th. We were still in all the cup competitions. Our defeat against Newcastle was more to do with luck on their part than anything else. We had 13 shots on goal and were far the better team; as the Newcastle manager admitted. Newcastle had beaten teams like United at Old Trafford and Chelsea, both expected to be in the top 4. Against City we suffered our heaviest defeat; 6-0, on their own ground. A ground that no team has won there yet (in the league) this season. On top of that they beat the League leaders (Arsenal) 6-3, so putting our defeat into prospective it wasn’t that bad. The defeat that made Levy jump and overreact was our “humiliation†against Liverpool. I was at that match and up and until Paulinho was sent off (we were 2-0 down) I thought we were still in the game. Could we have come back? Who knows? But I don’t think it would have been as bad as it ended up. Apart from the City and Liverpool game our defence has been pretty good. Never conceding more than one goal (the exceptions were West Ham 0-3, United 2-2 and Hull in the Cup 2-2). The problem with AVB’s team was that the midfield/ wingers weren’t getting the ball to the lone striker up front. But I am sure that would have eventually been resolved. Another point that we have learnt since his sacking; four of the players that were bought in the summer was forced on to AVB (he had his own list of players he wanted). He would have preferred players that fitted into his thinking. Putting all that into the equation and what I had previously said, not only did Levy panic, but he might have lost the plot as well. I can understand that he wants success (don’t we all?), but is this really the right way?

Now he has been replaced by a greenhorn in top management stakes. So far he has had a brilliant start. Putting the West Ham cup game to one side (Sherwood was only pointed a couple of days before that cup match) he has won – impressively – against Southampton (away), Stoke (home) and United (at Old Trafford) and only drawing against WBA 1-1 at White Hart Lane on boxing day. Ten points out of a possible 12. A very remarkable and moving start. We will never know how AVB would have finished in the League and all cup fixtures; but his record was very good up and until he was sacked. If Sherwood finishes in the top 4 with possibly a trophy then AVB will sink into the abyss and be forgotten, if Sherwood doesn’t finish in the top 4 then the question that should be asked is why wasn’t AVB given more time? Getting seven new players – some he didn’t want – and then for that seven to be integrated into the team in quick succession is a big and almost impossible task and then to expected to be in the top 4 and a trophy or two as well is almost an impossible dream (no matter how wet that dream is). AVB must be given the credit for what he had achieved, under exceptional circumstances.

Of course we all wish Sherwood good luck and hope he goes on and gets us a top 4 placing and maybe a trophy or two on the way. But English league management is a bear pit, with no time for toleration or learning. To prove that point, even though he has been given an 18 month contract it hasn’t stopped Levy, if you believe the papers, looking for another manager. He must finish in the top 4 if he wants to keep his job or be history. That will go for anybody that might follow him as well.

I said, before the Christmas period, that we must show a good performance (i.e. win all our games, but definitely no losses). Low and behold we got 10 points out of 12. Our most impressive victory was at Old Trafford where we beat last year’s league champions 2-1. We now hope that Sherwood can build on that and only victories are in sight. Our next game is against the gunners, on their own ground and in the FA Cup. Followed by Crystal Palace at home, Swansea away and City (who beat us 6-0) at White Hart Lane. Get through that successfully and anything could be possible. But a word of warning; we’ve got a very long injury list. Now I read that Sherwood would be happy to rely on Spurs youngsters to fill the gap, rather than get somebody in, in the January transfer window. Good luck with that. But I will certainly be surprised to see him leading Spurs out at the beginning of next season. But if he does… well it will show that miracles can happen and there really is a man in the moon looking down on us weaklings (sorry) earthlings.

Even in our defeats I still expected Spurs to win under AVB; right up to the final whistle (with the exception of the Liverpool game). Under Sherwood I don’t have that feeling (yet). I was more optimistic with AVB in charge than I am with the novice Sherwood. In the United game I was expecting the home team to score at any moment; after being 2-1 down. Were we that good, or where they that bad? Were we just lucky or United just unlucky? Who knows? Only time will tell and I hope luck is on our side. There are seven good teams fighting for a top four spot; Chelsea, City, United, Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal and ourselves. It is a mountain that Spurs has to climb and whether we see Sherwood in the same position at the beginning of next season.

Hopefully all Spurs fans will be united behind Sherwood and sing his name and Spurs onto victory. The rest will be up to Tim Sherwood and the team he picks. COYS

AVB was rightfully sacked.

AVB was dignified to the end of his tenure. I wish it had worked out for him. He was a gentleman, who was always professional in his dealings with the press, a man who had quite literally studied the game (writing dossiers on opponents, etc) and who had a fixed idea of what he wanted to achieve on the pitch. In my opinion it was ironically these ideals that eventually did for him. 

Squeeze the pitch with a high line. Play at least two high-tempo pressing players in midfield to win the ball high. Transition quickly from back to front, mostly feeding wide players who are able to cut in and score goals. What this ended up looking like for much of his tenure was: squeeze the pitch, keep things tight, don’t take too many risks, and score from range. Mostly through Gareth Bale who, incidentally, became truly world-class under AVB.

And it was sort of working. Last season, famously, we amounted our highest Premier League points tally. This season we were only five points behind Manchester City in 4th place despite not (yet) playing well. We were only one point worse off than the corresponding fixtures in 2012/13.

The problem with keeping it tight was the lack of goals. And when you lack goals you suddenly become less tight at the back, there wasn't many positives to take. There was no obvious pattern to our attacking play, apart from encouraging more shots from distance, we never saw a cohesive plan form or grow over time.

One week he'll have Eriksen behind Soldado, then he'll switch Pauline as a number 10 when things weren't working out, the moment he tried to be more flexible things went badly wrong. Against City he played traditional wingers and got thumped 6.0. He tried Capoue as a last ditch CB cover and got savagely exposed.

With inverted wingers, we became congested, there was limited space for our players to operate around - but his main aim was stopping the opposition from scoring and exposing space. 

Chopping and changing players around showed he had almost given up on his beliefs, he wasn't sure anymore, he didn't have a fixed system or idea how to use the players he bought and wanted at the club. 

It's quite clear the players stopped trying under him. It's clear his relationship with Levy wasn't great. He walked away without a fight. He didn't look happy. And ultimately he never really saw us as a longer term project. â€For me, there is a limit and, in the next five to 10 years, I will quit coaching.â€

AVB wasn't given enough time because he didn't look like he wanted any and his relationship with Levy became a problem. He had to go.

If Tim doesn't finish in the top 4 the only people the fans should blame, (because fans love a scapegoat) is Daniel Levy and AVB for falling out and being lost in translation with each other.

Tim maybe a novice in terms of top flight managerial experience, but so was Sir Bill Nicholson, who just like Tim was promoted from within the club. Tim does have experience from playing football at the highest level, something that clearly became a problem for AVB and not being able to handle players. Is Tim the answer? I don't know, but he can lead men, he was a captain throughout his career, he's won the PL, and he's shown himself to be a promising youth coach who doesn't lack courage.

If we finish the season well and the players all respond to Sherwood, I'll be pretty happy with giving him the job full time, especially if he gets on with Levy. The key to any success is stability and that needs to start at the very top, everyone needs to be pulling in the right direction, no agendas, no sniping - all for one and one for all.

All of the talk about AVB is all well and good, but he is gone and that is that.

Tim has taken over, and be it good management, luck or divine intervention things have gone well (FA cup excluded).

Were are in 6th right now, 2 points down from top 4 (though with a terrible goal difference) and only (if one can say that here) 8 points from 1st (yes I know it's not realistic, but just humour (humor) and old man.

Next 6 games are spread out over about 5 weeks, with the first real test in 3 weeks against City at WHL and Everton 12 days later, again at The Lane. Newcastle away could be tricky, but otherwise (with some luck) we might be looking at 14-18 points over that period of time.

I know, I know this seems rather naive and fairytail thinking, but it actually could happen.

Europa league game is in the end of February, so that won't interfere for now.

The injury situation can only get better, and no doubt some of the other teams will also lose some of their best players to injuries for a shorter or longer period of time.

My perhaps rosey-red conclusion is that THFC can reach Champions League qualification with help from the fans, a gelling of the team (it's got to happen sometime, why not now?), a bit of luck and maybe divine intervention.

There is no need now to be in criticism mode just because the wife and/or girlfriend is in the bad mood, or your kids don't understand you, or the boss in an idiot (because that lot is in general), or that politicians are wankers (because that lot just is, period).

Everything else being equal, this team shows periods of brilliance, they just need to stabilize things a bit. They haven't played together for that long, and look at what they have achieved.

.... always look on the bright side of life .....

AVB, as Mr Moonlight says, is history and Turks covers his plus and minus points above comprehensively. The F.A. Cup is now history and I said on here when the draw was made that if you had to go out of the Cup to Arsenal then the pain is less if it's away and in the 3rd Round. It's still painful though. I didn't think we would lose I backed Spurs to win 3-1 @ 28/1 - I stood in Ladbrokes yesterday lunchtime and visualised that result. And as we all saw that was never going to happen. So, halfway and out of two domestic cups - yes the old cliche can come out: we can concentrate on the League. Well, until the end of Feb we can't do anything else. Hopefully we will have key players back and not find they return but we lose a number of others. But we have to live with the fact that we probably won't have everyone fit. Mr Moonlight says no doubt other teams will have their best players out at some time well this is happening now: Gerrard. Sturridge, Aguero, Van Persie, Rooney is struggling, Ramsey, Lampard, .

I think one of the key issues is what Turks brought up re: 442 solely relying on Ade - and how this is particularly risky with such a player.

It's a formation that seems to have galvanised the players and fans so far with the obvious element that Sherwood and players have to know how to defend with this system too and/ or not stick rigidly to it for every opposition but I hope rather than expect Ade plays far more games at 100% than what we've known of him from the recent past. Not just for his sake and his reputation but how he takes the pressure of Soldado. And Soldado was the first to admit to this. This can only help his game as we've said so many times under AVB he was isolated and with inverted wingers he was very rarely getting the right supply.

But as it's a half- term report I have to say with Ade and the right supply I'm still concerned that he will come good. Remember his goal away at Villa - we should as it's his only League goal from open play! Spurs fans thought that's it he's got his first of many - even a flare went up! Against Soton, Stoke, Utd and Arsenal his finishing was poor - most other strikers would have scored. As it's a new manager and system I willing to see the next half of the season as a new start for him and expect to see goals - his price tag and previous goal tally are too high to let him off the hook regardless.

Where will we finish? I don't rule out 4th but I rule in 5th or 6th as more likely unfortunately. But what do I know, I bet 3-1 yesterday.

I disagree that he was rightly sacked, and even if he was you should replace him with something better. So far we've been knocked out of two competitions since Sherwood took over.

If Levy wanted to sack him he should have waited until the end of the season. Now we could be in an even worse position under Sherwood. When we played against Arsenal in the league - under AVB - I thought we were a better side; but whatever, we didn't deserve to lose. Under Sherwood's team against Arsenal they deserved to win. Even when they had one man less they where still the better side.

I hope I am wrong but I can't see Sherwood's team being in the top 4 by the end of the season. I also can't see him winning any trophies and now there is only one left to win; Europea Cup.

I think it is certain that Arsenal, City and Chelsea will be in the top 4, which will leave one place left. Liverpool, Everton and United (plus us) will be fighting for that position. As I said; I hope I am proven wrong.

As people know me on here: I am always optimistic where Spurs is concerned. And I am trying very much to look on the bright side of life. But I don't think Sherwood has the experience to take us forward.

I disagree that he was rightly sacked, and even if he was you should replace him with something better. So far we've been knocked out of two competitions since Sherwood took over.

If Levy wanted to sack him he should have waited until the end of the season. Now we could be in an even worse position under Sherwood. When we played against Arsenal in the league - under AVB - I thought we were a better side; but whatever, we didn't deserve to lose. Under Sherwood's team against Arsenal they deserved to win. Even when they had one man less they where still the better side.

I hope I am wrong but I can't see Sherwood's team being in the top 4 by the end of the season. I also can't see him winning any trophies and now there is only one left to win; Europea Cup.

I think it is certain that Arsenal, City and Chelsea will be in the top 4, which will leave one place left. Liverpool, Everton and United (plus us) will be fighting for that position. As I said; I hope I am proven wrong.

As people know me on here: I am always optimistic where Spurs is concerned. And I am trying very much to look on the bright side of life. But I don't think Sherwood has the experience to take us forward.

West Ham was a bad result but AVB knows all about that after being beaten 3 nil by them - didn't even score a goal. I don't think you can hang any spurs manager for losing away to Arsenal in the FA Cup with the amount of injuries we faced. 

Tim has only been in the job for 3 weeks, I'd hate to judge any manager under these circumstances.

Why keep a man that's unhappy, who doesn't get along with the people that matter, who isn't showing any signs of fixing our goal scoring problems? 

Look at the team AVB had to pick from when he played Arsenal. He knows all the players. Worked with them for a good year. Bought the players to the club. Didn't face them after a busy 6 games in 17 day period. Again Sherwood was only in the job for 5 minutes, missing key players, busy schedule. How did AVB fair when he first played Arsenal away? 5-2 wasn't it?

I didn't believe we were finishing in the top four under AVB either. He showed no signs of fixing our goal scoring problems. But we've only finished in the top four twice, so if we manage to miss out this year Sherwood would be the last person I'd be blaming.

Sherwood just needs to be given time. Apart from two cup defeats, I think our form and performances under him have been good, we're scoring more goals and I'm hopeful over a certain amount of time he'll grow into the role.

AVB struggled during his first few games in charge and he had my sympathies. 

Can someone tell me who the 4 players that were forced on AVB were? I hadn't heard that anywhere before I read it in the original post...

I think he didn't want to sell caulker so I'd say vlad and lamela were two he didn't want.

I agree with that Turk, Mr Moonlight and Paxton said.

I think the main problem (now as much as when AVB was in charge) is fans' expectation. We could have been luckier , with all these players gelling more quickly and AVB helping with his tatctical decisions, and we were always needing luck in this respect, but it didn't happen.

Now the risk is to think that we have bought shit players and we will ask for a major tuirnaround at the end of the season (mund you, it's perfectly possible that the likes of Loris and Vertongen will ask for a transfer anyway). Most of the players we have bought are VERY good, and if we are patient we will be all convinced of that by the end of NEXT season.

The other risk is thinking that a new manager could significantly turn around the squad and the performance. Tim has come in a moment of confusion and lack of cohesion between the manager, Levy and Baldini, plus he has to do better than a manager that too often made us look like shit but still has the best point record ever.

My approach to the rest iof the season is as follows:

- I cannot see us ending up above the following teams: scum, chelscum, city, Liverpool and Everton (unless players like Suarez, Coutinho, Lukaku and Barkley will get long injuries, all at the same time and for both clubs)

- It's very unlikeluy that in the EL we will do better than the likes of Juve, Napoli and Porto

- We have nothing to lose, and if we take the rest of the season with this philosophy Tim can work for the best and will have all the chances and support to show what he can do. Then we'll see.

Can someone tell me who the 4 players that were forced on AVB were? I hadn't heard that anywhere before I read it in the original post...

If the media is to be believed, 

"Spurs instead spent £56m on four players AVB didn't want: Erik Lamela, Christian Eriksen, Nacer Chadli, and Vlad Chiriches." Baldini is responsible for most of the signings, but I'm sure Levy wanted Chadli, why is another question? Comparing him to his former teammate Dusan Tadic and his long list of injuries, it's a mystery to me. He scored twice against us in the CL in 2010. Since that time we were after him. Somebody surely made big money from that deal. word

West Ham was a bad result but AVB knows all about that after being beaten 3 nil by them - didn't even score a goal. I don't think you can hang any spurs manager for losing away to Arsenal in the FA Cup with the amount of injuries we faced. 

Tim has only been in the job for 3 weeks, I'd hate to judge any manager under these circumstances.

Why keep a man that's unhappy, who doesn't get along with the people that matter, who isn't showing any signs of fixing our goal scoring problems? 

Look at the team AVB had to pick from when he played Arsenal. He knows all the players. Worked with them for a good year. Bought the players to the club. Didn't face them after a busy 6 games in 17 day period. Again Sherwood was only in the job for 5 minutes, missing key players, busy schedule. How did AVB fair when he first played Arsenal away? 5-2 wasn't it?

I didn't believe we were finishing in the top four under AVB either. He showed no signs of fixing our goal scoring problems. But we've only finished in the top four twice, so if we manage to miss out this year Sherwood would be the last person I'd be blaming.

Sherwood just needs to be given time. Apart from two cup defeats, I think our form and performances under him have been good, we're scoring more goals and I'm hopeful over a certain amount of time he'll grow into the role.

AVB struggled during his first few games in charge and he had my sympathies. 

I agree that if he couldn't put us in the top 4 then he should have gone, but at the end of the season. It makes no sense sacking him half way through a season and putting a noive in charge. Saying that I do wish Sherwood well; but the same applies to him. If he doesn't get us into the top 4 then levy will sack him.

Concerning AVB's tactics. Considering that he had to intergate 7 players into the team - which many players said is an almost impossible task - he did very well; we were 6th when he was sacked and in all competitions. Now we've been nocked out of two competitions.... To me it made no sense sacking AVB when he did.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but since this has to do with status, here goes.

Is there some sort of information source where one can see stats regarding injuries to players in Premier League clubs?

Things like average number of players injured, average length of injuries and total number of man-weeks out with injuries.

I know this sounds a bit nerdy, but off hand I think it pretty much evens out from team to team, but there still might be a squad bredth factor. ( Jesus, "squad bredth factor" ! I have either coined a phrase immortal, or sound like a real twit.)

Point being, we are actually doing rather OK at this point in time, with a fairly new and young squad, and we have some damn good players who are injured, but will return.

Our oh so dear friends at Holloway FC just lost a talented player (I think he's called Theo Baldtwat or something like that) for the next six months, and no matter if we like him or not, one has to admit that that is a loss for their side. A shame for him personally but I don't hear my tears hitting the keyboard for his team.

Others from our competitors will follow, no doubt about that, especially consider the schedules they have ahead. Spurs only need to concentrate on Premier League (first and formost) and Europa League.

We are doing quite well i believe. This whole squad reconstruction should have been done gradually since we got champions league in 2010 but it's all been squashed in to 1 crazy summer.And in that crazy summer we lost our best player who earned us so many points last year.It will be a frustrating team this year at times as it could be a top side but  we have to keep our top players like vertonghen lloris who we have had for a few years instead of losing more this summer then i feel next year if the whole club is patient (levy,fans, players and managment)and stick together we could be a real force.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but since this has to do with status, here goes.

Is there some sort of information source where one can see stats regarding injuries to players in Premier League clubs?

Things like average number of players injured, average length of injuries and total number of man-weeks out with injuries.

I know this sounds a bit nerdy, but off hand I think it pretty much evens out from team to team, but there still might be a squad bredth factor. ( Jesus, "squad bredth factor" ! I have either coined a phrase immortal, or sound like a real twit.)

Point being, we are actually doing rather OK at this point in time, with a fairly new and young squad, and we have some damn good players who are injured, but will return.

Our oh so dear friends at Holloway FC just lost a talented player (I think he's called Theo Baldtwat or something like that) for the next six months, and no matter if we like him or not, one has to admit that that is a loss for their side. A shame for him personally but I don't hear my tears hitting the keyboard for his team.

Others from our competitors will follow, no doubt about that, especially consider the schedules they have ahead. Spurs only need to concentrate on Premier League (first and formost) and Europa League.

actually I started a topic with that issue (medical staff and coaching), but I get a kick behind, before I get some serious and constructive responds. So be careful what you say and take care of the internal vice squad! ;)

And yes, they are some pages in the net. this for example, http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php Saw Holtby and Lamela in training, but there is no returning date for now. hmm..? 

by the way, welcome! have been to copenhaven twice. great city and a MUST SEE for every european and of course every non-european! especially the restaurant "Hercegovina" right opposite the railway station was a big surprise for me as a croat! :D

actually I started a topic with that issue (medical staff and coaching), but I get a kick behind, before I get some serious and constructive responds. So be careful what you say and take care of the internal vice squad! ;)

And yes, they are some pages in the net. this for example, http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php Saw Holtby and Lamela in training, but there is no returning date for now. hmm..?

by the way, welcome! have been to copenhaven twice. great city and a MUST SEE for every european and of course every non-european! especially the restaurant "Hercegovina" right opposite the railway station was a big surprise for me as a croat! :D

Its only banter mate,don't worry ;-)

wash the sand out of your vajayjay

when did we become such pussies...

'wah they called me a name'

'wah someone threw coins at walcott'

jesus

Its only banter mate,don't worry ;-)

I know, for me too! but some of you should really read the comments more carefully next time. I put a smiley after I named the "internal vice squad"! but I think some in here read from the right to the left. Because they live upside down. REDNU NWOD. GET IT! :-D ( memo: don't forget the nose Mr. potato head! )

I just have a problem trying to understand some of the stuff written on this forum. Spurfect talks sense most of the time, but in some kind of riddled foreign speak that I have to decipher, and as for coattail rider, he's just a raw prawn!