Spurs Web
Knightwriter

Dembele and Paulinho

To me this is the biggest conundrum Sherwood is going to face in the foreseeable.

What do you do with them?  Very good players, but what are they?

Paulinho for me is a nothing player in the centre of the pitch, but makes great runs and comes alive around the box.  I think he will score a lot of goals in time.

Dembele is mega talented and he's a ball winner, but he's not a great passer in the middle of the pitch.  Instead he prefers to dribble from deep, which doesn't really work unless you've space to run into.  Taking on one v ones in the middle of the pitch just slows us down and that's his main skill on the ball.

To me he has to play wide left or further up where he can use his talent of ghosting past players and opening spaces.  Otherwise he's messing with our pattern and shape.

I know he's an athlete, ball winner and so talented most teams would kill for him in any midfield area, but we are a top side.  We ain't Fulham.  We have to find the best area for him to move our team forward.

My preference in setting the team up for the future would be in having a solid defensive player like Sandro/Bentalob/Capoue with a passer like Carroll/Eriksen/Holtby in the middle.  And then having Dembele or Paulinho operating form the left or in front of those players (depending on the system).  And then you have Townsend vying for that left side slot as well.

If you look at the team in my signature, I actually would have a preference for 352 with these players and Dembele and Paulinho would have to force their way in.  I'm not saying they wouldn't because they are very good, but it's hard to find a place for them.

One option with that team would be to take out a striker and play Pauli/Dembele as an attacking midfielder encouraged to run at the box all the time, with Lamela also floating in behind the striker.  In that system you could rotate and rest players in and out of each area and probably keep the squad ticking over, match fit and fresh.  But we aren't playing that system.

What do you think we should do with them?

We have so many midfielders playing 442 with them is going to cause issues with keeping everyone happy.  I think we will have to loan some of them out for now and work out what to do later.  There's only so much rotation and competition for places you can do with three top players vying for each slot.

To me this is the biggest conundrum Sherwood is going to face in the foreseeable.

What do you do with them?  Very good players, but what are they?

Paulinho for me is a nothing player in the centre of the pitch, but makes great runs and comes alive around the box.  I think he will score a lot of goals in time.

Dembele is mega talented and he's a ball winner, but he's not a great passer in the middle of the pitch.  Instead he prefers to dribble from deep, which doesn't really work unless you've space to run into.  Taking on one v ones in the middle of the pitch just slows us down and that's his main skill on the ball.

To me he has to play wide left or further up where he can use his talent of ghosting past players and opening spaces.  Otherwise he's messing with our pattern and shape.

I know he's an athlete, ball winner and so talented most teams would kill for him in any midfield area, but we are a top side.  We ain't Fulham.  We have to find the best area for him to move our team forward.

My preference in setting the team up for the future would be in having a solid defensive player like Sandro/Bentalob/Capoue with a passer like Carroll/Eriksen/Holtby in the middle.  And then having Dembele or Paulinho operating form the left or in front of those players (depending on the system).  And then you have Townsend vying for that left side slot as well.

If you look at the team in my signature, I actually would have a preference for 352 with these players and Dembele and Paulinho would have to force their way in.  I'm not saying they wouldn't because they are very good, but it's hard to find a place for them.

One option with that team would be to take out a striker and play Pauli/Dembele as an attacking midfielder encouraged to run at the box all the time, with Lamela also floating in behind the striker.  In that system you could rotate and rest players in and out of each area and probably keep the squad ticking over, match fit and fresh.  But we aren't playing that system.

What do you think we should do with them?

We have so many midfielders playing 442 with them is going to cause issues with keeping everyone happy.  I think we will have to loan some of them out for now and work out what to do later.  There's only so much rotation and competition for places you can do with three top players vying for each slot.

I'm kinda unsure about the 3 at the back because Walker (and sometimes Vlad) loves to go forward and that would really leave our back vulnerable. Looking at our defense, unless we play well enough to convince me, I think 3 at the back is a bad idea.

I'm kinda unsure about the 3 at the back because Walker (and sometimes Vlad) loves to go forward and that would really leave our back vulnerable. Looking at our defense, unless we play well enough to convince me, I think 3 at the back is a bad idea.

Imo could work if everyone were fit eg.

---------------Lloyris----------------

Chiriches-----Kaboul-----Vertonghen

--------------Sandro-----------------

-------Paulinho----Dembele---------

Eriksen--Soldado--Adebayor--Lamela

Sandro drops deep when not in possession. Instead of Paulinho & Dembele you could have Holtby & Eriksen. Lennon & Townsend can replace the wide men.. whatever your preference. Problem is we lose the overlapping full backs. Not sure if this is a starting formation as much as game changer..

Beauty of this is that having two attacking mids allows one to set the pass and the other to arrive into the box late ala VDV.. Sandro taking over defensive duties allows the other two midfielders to concentrate on keepung tge tempo and moving the ball forwards. When defending a lead you would effectivly have a back six. Chiriches and Vertonghen are more than capable of playing on the outside of defense but in a cb role. Both have pace, ball playing skills and are situated on thier natural footed side of the pitch.

Imo could work if everyone were fit eg.

---------------Lloyris----------------

Chiriches-----Kaboul-----Vertonghen

--------------Sandro-----------------

-------Paulinho----Dembele---------

Eriksen--Soldado--Adebayor--Lamela

Sandro drops deep when not in possession. Instead of Paulinho & Dembele you could have Holtby & Eriksen. Lennon & Townsend can replace the wide men.. whatever your preference. Problem is we lose the overlapping full backs. Not sure if this is a starting formation as much as game changer..

Beauty of this is that having two attacking mids allows one to set the pass and the other to arrive into the box late ala VDV.. Sandro taking over defensive duties allows the other two midfielders to concentrate on keepung tge tempo and moving the ball forwards. When defending a lead you would effectivly have a back six. Chiriches and Vertonghen are more than capable of playing on the outside of defense but in a cb role. Both have pace, ball playing skills and are situated on thier natural footed side of the pitch.

Do you call us Tottingham as well by any chance?

I would like to see eriksen sit deeper in the center of midfield to create like modric used to.

No, he gets knocked off the ball too easily. If that happens deep in midfield then they're into us in a flash.

He does his best work picking passes and scoring goals from further forward.

People said that about Modric too.  He's young and can learn the position, get used to the league more and also beef up like the Croatian magician.

I know what you are saying but I really like a player that can put his foot on it in midfield.  I'd rather have a guy that might get outmuscled a bit at times than two athletes without vision.  I mean that's what balance is about.  You can have the muscle beside the creative player.

In our team I'd rather have the Beast with Eriksen and Dembele/Paulinho box to box than Eriksen too far forward to dictate the passing.

Having said that maybe Eriksen isn't influential enough in a cm position and isn't cut out for centre of the pitch.  But I'd be inclined to think that is more a style or positional issue than a physical one.  I mean we can all name tiny midfielders that are superb.

If Eriksen is to play more forward then I think we need to think about getting a playmaker to play in midfield and also recall Carroll.

Does anybody think Holtby can play a Scholes type role and do it well enough?

I feel a bit for Holtby, he is a starter for me. He will run and chase the ball down, he ain't shy putting Tackles in and he can shoot and pass well. Won't last 90mins but a good 60-70 mins at a 110% effort, which in my eyes is a lot better than some of our lot. Does also does Lamela deserve a decent go? Or will he go on loan and never be seen again.....

I feel a bit for Holtby, he is a starter for me. He will run and chase the ball down, he ain't shy putting Tackles in and he can shoot and pass well. Won't last 90mins but a good 60-70 mins at a 110% effort, which in my eyes is a lot better than some of our lot. Does also does Lamela deserve a decent go? Or will he go on loan and never be seen again.....

I'm with you mate I think holtby is the best all round central midfielder we have but we will waste him sell him on and he will go on to be a major player for a champions league side.

Do you call us Tottingham as well by any chance?

not since I was 5!

Ive seen stranger formations when chasing the win!

Havent had time to 'try it out' on fifa yet lol..

god love fifa, Soldado scores, Lamela is a beast, Rose and Kaboul are always fit.. Oh and we beat West Ham and Arsenal all the time!

oh and yes to Holtby.

The 3 man defence worries me, especially from the point of view that we don't seem to have replacements capable of continuing the defence in case of injury. Additionally, the make up seems to suggest that Verts could move out wide tocover the left back channel and have one of the defensive midfielders slip into cover in central defence if necessary. I dont howver have enough confidence in Townsend's consistent coming back to track the right winger

People said that about Modric too.  He's young and can learn the position, get used to the league more and also beef up like the Croatian magician.

I know what you are saying but I really like a player that can put his foot on it in midfield.  I'd rather have a guy that might get outmuscled a bit at times than two athletes without vision.  I mean that's what balance is about.  You can have the muscle beside the creative player.

In our team I'd rather have the Beast with Eriksen and Dembele/Paulinho box to box than Eriksen too far forward to dictate the passing.

Having said that maybe Eriksen isn't influential enough in a cm position and isn't cut out for centre of the pitch.  But I'd be inclined to think that is more a style or positional issue than a physical one.  I mean we can all name tiny midfielders that are superb.

If Eriksen is to play more forward then I think we need to think about getting a playmaker to play in midfield and also recall Carroll.

Does anybody think Holtby can play a Scholes type role and do it well enough?

Disagree, with the modric statement.

I thought he had an unbelievable ability to keep hold of the ball under pressure, one of the best in the world. I dont think that Eriksen is that type. 

not since I was 5!

Ive seen stranger formations when chasing the win!

Havent had time to 'try it out' on fifa yet lol..

god love fifa, Soldado scores, Lamela is a beast, Rose and Kaboul are always fit.. Oh and we beat West Ham and Arsenal all the time!

oh and yes to Holtby.

Ossie Ardiles would like your system.  He calls us Tottingham so that's why I asked.

Anyone watching Villa against the woolwich wanderers?? Shows exactly why 3-5-2 is outdated and to be avoided!

Nothing to do with Villa being shit then?

If Arsenal play Juventus (who play 352) we'll see if there's a difference to Villa.  Liverpool are using it and having their best season for a while.

352 was also used by Barcelona many times under Gourdiola.  It's not outdated, it's just there's been a trend to 433 and using converted wingers at full back.

In my opinion a traditional 442 is outdated in big matches because getting outnumbered in central midfield is the suicide imo.

Every system has strengths and weaknesses.  I think 442 is also still useful against weaker teams.

What way do you think 352 is suicide?  If it is done well I think it is a viable option if you have the right players and wing backs with pace and great stamina to get up and down.

What many people seem to forget is that many top teams play wingers that come in and don't really track back, a holding player that sweeps either side when counter attacked and with the full backs so forward that they are essentially playing 352 when they have the ball anyway.