Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
CRD

Selling Caulker - a mistake?

Much has been said about our transfer policy last summer. Everyone has centred their comments around who came in and at what cost and about Bale going. In hindisght can it now be suggested that selling Caulker was a mistake? We gambled on a fit, Kaboul, a strong Vertoghen with Dawson leading and Vlad pucking up where necessary. Half way through the season we are seeing the Skipper constantly done for pace, Verts injured or playing mostly at Left Back because we had no real cover, having loaned out BAE and no Kaboul out for most of the season through injury. Meanwhile Caulker is not having a bad season as skipper of Cardiff!

What say you all?

Not hindsight for me as I said at time that he should not have been allowed to leave. I doubt one less change would have made that much difference but in my opinion Caulker is a better defender that Chiriches although chiriches is better at bringing the ball out. Caulker has not got in the England team by moving. With our injuries he would have played and if he is going to get in the England team he needs to oust Dawson which on Dawson's form this year he would have done.

Hindsight is very easy of course,but at the time,many fans couldn't really understand the need to sell Caulker.

Caulker was by no means the finished article but I felt that he would have developed into a very reliable CB and that Dawson really should have been the one to leave the club.

When you play for a team near the bottom of the league you have to defend more and thus either get found out or improve. Play for a team in the top half and for a defender it is much easier as you are not under so much pressure as the team attacks more. Some of the best defenders play for teams nearer the bottom. The difference between a team near the top and bottom is much more to do with the difference between the attacking players.

I therefore do not think for a defender that it is a backwoods step to play for a team lower down the league.

Yes he plays more for Cardiff than he would had he stayed but he would have got enough matches to have got in the England squad if good enough.

Vlad, Kaboul and Verts are all better. Would be vying with Dawson for a start even with Kabs injured. I would have kept him but then we wouldn't have bought Vlad, who in my opinion will be far better than Caulks could ever be

I think we should have kept him.  I know he wanted to play regularly but if we told him he was ahead of Dawson, which imo he should be then he would have stayed.

Some people have suggested that he is at the team at the bottom and is not pulling up any trees.  Well I never understand comments like that, that's the team, not him, because he's been playing very well.  He's one of the few good things they've had.

He's a top prospect, good in the air, good positioning, composure, got some pace, scores some headers, pretty comfortable with the ball at his feet.  He's also homegrown and has captained sides.  I'd love to bring him back and think we should make an effort to do it.  He'd compliment what we have and is a better player than Daws, who's been a good player, terrific servant and person for the club, but could be replaced over the next year or two imo.

Also, Kaboul, as good as he is, just seems like a man that will never get fit to play every week.

I'd like to see Caulker show more aggression and be more vocal, but he's young and will get that over time, especially since his managers have given him the armband at two or three teams already.  Bring him back I say.

I would say his positioning is way ahead of Daws at the same age.  Some of you are a bit harsh on the lad IMO.

However, maybe it was good business if we can get all our cbs fit.  For me, he wanted to leave and Vlad was brought in to replace him and is on another level, so you can't be too critical of the decision either.

I think Chiriches is an outstanding defender myself.  The main problem we have is that Kaboul keeps getting bad injuries.

Any player is better than an injured player. Both Kaboul and Sandro can't seem to stay healthy.

The odd thing is that the injury problem is sometimes gone after we sell the player or change a manager. Look at Ade and Hudds.