Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
BlockFeet

Latest rumours

This has to be 1 of the outstanding posts I have read for years. Totally agree. And didn't pochetino clearly sate after the Everton game that he wants all his new signings in quickly so there's no disruption through pre season. He did not want any late transfer drama. Same old story I'm afraid

Perhaps he did and it just hasn't worked out. An American Pro Football coach once said that fans "think they know, but they don't know." Pretty sure that holds true for every professional sport in the world. 

Is it not possible that the club had a priority list of players and they are working that list in order? Defenders where obviously at the top of the list and the business was handled quickly and directly. DM was likely a priority as well considering how we aggressively went after Schniederlin only to loose him to a bigger club. Strikers are always a hard deal with good ones hard to come by and usually demanding top dollar, not to mention all of them realizing they will sitting behind Kane for the time being. My guess is that Levy and Poch had a wish list and they are just working it top to bottom. As one guy either signs with us or with someone else they move on. It's time consuming, I'm sure.

And the process is likely not nearly as easy behind closed doors as we fans would like to think it is.

I agree that its frustrating waiting to sign players when we all have a reasonable idea of what is required to strengthen the team but there are so many factors involved.

a) Does the player want to join us

b) Does his club want to sell

c) Are other clubs interested in the player

d) Is an agent trying to get a better deal for his player at his current club

e) The valuation of the player

f) Personal terms player wants

g) Family issues with player

h) Does selling club want to get replacement in place before selling, which could add all of the above issues

The only way I can see us getting quick buys is if we pay over the top on fee and wages. Like most good businesses we must have a budget and targets, paying over the top for one player would limit our options on further buys. If it were a striker, midfielder and wide player with a budget of £50m and £160k pw wages a single buy of £25m on £70k wages severely reduces what we can achieve. The figures I quote may bear no relation to what we have to spend and like I've said many times before we are only going to get the players the top 20 clubs in Europe don't want or aren't prepared to gamble on.

I wouldn't put Baldini in charge of selling newspapers.

I swear the guy took a bung from Roma for talking up the Lamela deal - he wasn't worth half of what we paid. How did 'hard face negotiator' Levy fall for that one?

You can add does buying club want to sell before buying to that which is in fact the issue with us IMO...

I agree that its frustrating waiting to sign players when we all have a reasonable idea of what is required to strengthen the team but there are so many factors involved.

a) Does the player want to join us
b) Does his club want to sell
c) Are other clubs interested in the player
d) Is an agent trying to get a better deal for his player at his current club
e) The valuation of the player
f) Personal terms player wants
g) Family issues with player
h) Does selling club want to get replacement in place before selling, which could add all of the above issues

The only way I can see us getting quick buys is if we pay over the top on fee and wages. Like most good businesses we must have a budget and targets, paying over the top for one player would limit our options on further buys. If it were a striker, midfielder and wide player with a budget of £50m and £160k pw wages a single buy of £25m on £70k wages severely reduces what we can achieve. The figures I quote may bear no relation to what we have to spend and like I've said many times before we are only going to get the players the top 20 clubs in Europe don't want or aren't prepared to gamble on.

Agree! There are many factors involved with transfer deals. Like it or not, we have to believe in (I for one do!) the Spurs

ethos and what Poch/Levy are trying to do and build.

Naive, Deluded, Foolishly Optimistic! All of the above perhaps, but I believe we will eventually (this season) reap the rewards.

COYS!!

Townsend, Lennon, Ade, Soldado not in the squad for AudiCup. I think I read it somewhere that Townsend has a shoulder injury.

Where is Pritchard?

Yedlin with the team?

no Yedlin

#AudiCup2015 game squad: Vorm, Lloris, McGee; Trippier, Walker, Rose, Davies, Dier, Fazio, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Vertonghen #COYS (1/2)
#AudiCup2015 game squad: Bentaleb, Mason, Winks, Alli, Dembele, Carroll, Onomah, Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli; Kane #COYS (2/2)

no Yedlin

#AudiCup2015 game squad: Vorm, Lloris, McGee; Trippier, Walker, Rose, Davies, Dier, Fazio, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Vertonghen #COYS (1/2)

#AudiCup2015 game squad: Bentaleb, Mason, Winks, Alli, Dembele, Carroll, Onomah, Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli; Kane #COYS (2/2)

B******* didn't take me either

I can't believe we are playing this audi dogshit a few days before the start of season, and Soldado is still in Poch's plans apparently.

Oh yea and top four is the target! Even Sherwood wouldnt of been brain washed to speak such nonsense.

I wouldn't really call myself a positive fan but a more realistic one and I find that ok. I don't want to be one of those delusional fans that say we're gonna win the league every season (*cough* *cough* Le Arse *cough* *cough*).

I do think Yarmolenko has great stats (Never seen him play so I can't really look at anything else). If he can somehow replicate those numbers here, it would be a masterstroke signing as long as his head is where it should be. If we can manage to bring in yarmolenko, sven bender, and a backup striker, I would say this transfer window is probably one of the best we've had in a very, very long time.

I don't think Sven could give us a boost and tbh I think he is the wrong Bender we are after. Its his twin brother Lars who would be a great addition, but I doubt we'll get him. I also think that many players from Dortmund where linked with other clubs because Kloop has gone. Reus, Aubermeyang, Schmelzer, Gündogan, Großkreuz and so on, but I think Dortmund will try their best to keep their key players and try to strengthen their squad instead! Castro was a great signing. Maybe they'll need a new striker, but Dortmund is a top top team!

Think the Yarmolenko deal is done already(but thats my personal opinion), it will depend on Levy and the medical!

Got no chance of top 4, such a great idea to start the season with no reinforcements. Firstly I can make an argument for not getting certain players in while poch looked at the young potential but to start the season with no back up strikers is madness.

Why do they keep making these simple mistakes, thought we had all these technicial genius talent spotters?? What's the point if we don't actually buy the targets. All the other teams seem to be getting their shit together.

Imo we've already left it too late, we're gonna be stuck with players we don't need and players we can't attract, as usual a few players short of a real chance.

we have witnessed what can happen when you tear a team apart in 2012. We need clever signings. Not signings we don't need only to sign a player!

Thats why I like the idea to creat homegrown superstars and integrate them into the team. Akindayini is one of these players and had deserved a chance IMO. One of our academy players who is better than shaq but who signed for Brighton for what I know. But nothing about him in the news!

I really hope Harry can repeat his success this season. But even I like the idea to support our youth I also think we need at least one proven and clinical striker who can replace Harry. Cause what if Harry gets injured? who will score our goals?

Townsend, Lennon, Ade, Soldado not in the squad for AudiCup. I think I read it somewhere that Townsend has a shoulder injury.

Where is Pritchard?

Pritchard just came back from injury. Wouldn't have expected him in the squad since he still has to regain fitness

Chelsea are after Danny Rose, lol - willing to pay 15 mill according to rumours. Oh God Please be true. I thought we'd never get rid of the muppet - couldn't defend his own arsehole.

Really? I'd much rather keep Rose. He was a good player last season, had the odd lapse, but will only get better and more consistent with time. We also need some stability in our back four given the new signings. I hope we don't sell and that he starts on Saturday.

AVE ITTTTTTT!

Chelsea are after Danny Rose, lol - willing to pay 15 mill according to rumours. Oh God Please be true. I thought we'd never get rid of the muppet - couldn't defend his own arsehole.

Rose was arguably one of the best performers on our team last season. He's made a few mistakes, I'll admit, but I think he's contributed so much more. The competition with davies really got him going and the last thing he needs is to be benched at chelsea. This is clearly just paper talk as the media are just trying to spark some news from nothing since things have been going stale.

Strikers please buy at least one youngish experienced striker ! Plus a holding midfielder to protect the back 4 like chelski protect a certain ex England player the upright honest non fascist non wife cheating one !