Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
CigarGuy

4-2-3-1

You blokes know WAY more about this game then I, but is this the right formation? I gave Poch a pass last year as he allegedly didn't have the proper personal to play his system. Does he now, or does the formation suck? You talk about bringing in Berinho(sp), but where would he play? On the bench?

tbh this system became so old fashioned mower days and many clubs already outplay this system with a normal 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, a more defensive 4-5-1 or a 5-3-2!

If you play the same formation week in week out you become so fucking predictable! 

Well this UK Bloke is certainly not convinced with 4-2-3-1 - I'm much more old school and would rather see good old 442, or if you must go with a different formation, then 3-5-2-1.

Surely it would be much harder for opposition to defend against 2 dedicated strikers than just the 1.

Obviously the problem that we have (as proven against Stoke today), is that we currently only have 1 first team striker in Kane.

If we went 3-5-2-1, then we have more than capable players in Walker/Trippier and Rose/Davies to play that formation, but with only 1 dedicated striker. I'd also add that we have Wimmer & Fazion (or even Dier) to fill the 3rd defensive position.

Let's see how the window pans out over the next 2 weeks and take it from there, although I think that Poch is very much stuck in his ways of 4-2-3-1 which is fine, but we need a Plan B if that is not working out.

If you play the same formation week in week out you become so fucking predictable! 

Which was exactly my point about Poch last season. Every other team know exactly how we will set up. Which is simply poor management.

Also Poch said in interview the game changed in the last 20 minutes...Bentaleb was bought on in the 69th minute, coincidence..mmm methinks not! Although he wasn't directly culpable he was totally anonymous while Ireland bossed the midfield.

Which was exactly my point about Poch last season. Every other team know exactly how we will set up. Which is simply poor management.

Not only that, but with the very same faces in those predictable positions....nothing has changed!

Where is Trippier? Where is Alli?

Well this UK Bloke is certainly not convinced with 4-2-3-1 - I'm much more old school and would rather see good old 442, or if you must go with a different formation, then 3-5-2-1.

Surely it would be much harder for opposition to defend against 2 dedicated strikers than just the 1.

Obviously the problem that we have (as proven against Stoke today), is that we currently only have 1 first team striker in Kane.

If we went 3-5-2-1, then we have more than capable players in Walker/Trippier and Rose/Davies to play that formation, but with only 1 dedicated striker. I'd also add that we have Wimmer & Fazion (or even Dier) to fill the 3rd defensive position.

Let's see how the window pans out over the next 2 weeks and take it from there, although I think that Poch is very much stuck in his ways of 4-2-3-1 which is fine, but we need a Plan B if that is not working out.

I think we would definitely have the advantage

if we played a 3-5-2-1! :)

Not only that, but with the very same faces in those predictable positions....nothing has changed!

Where is Trippier? Where is Alli?

I think it's difficult for any manager, who's side have been reasonably

successful (5th) to discard those players that achived that, without giving them the chance to prove their worth

again.

To buy and bring in new young players and select them over the old (and not that old) guard, could create a

problem. He needs to see........

1: The new additions, in pre-season and in training for a little longer than just 2 games into the campaign.

2: Give the old guard a chance to up their game, now they have real competition.

These sensitive, poor millionaires, need to be handle with a bit of diplomacy. Poor loves!

Also Poch said in interview the game changed in the last 20 minutes...Bentaleb was bought on in the 69th minute, coincidence..mmm methinks not! Although he wasn't directly culpable he was totally anonymous while Ireland bossed the midfield.

Poch brought Bentelab on for Mason for 2 reason in my opinion.............

Mason had run his sock off for seventy minutes in his first start back after injury. Poch hoped Bentaled would be strong enough

to put the OT game behind him and do a job. Thats clever management. OT is in the past son, go and show us so! Bentaleb

let Poch down. Kane HAD to come off and our only forward threat on the bench was Lamela. Not Poches fault, as he can only

work with whats infront of him and wait for the chairman buy in better options.

Hoever I agrree one Berihino in, the string line-up will be.....................

4-5-1:

Lloris.

Walker. Toby. Vert. Rose(4)

N'jie Alli Eriksen Mason, Berahino(5)

Kane (1)

You will then see this formation on paper develope into a 4-3-3. Even a 3-6-1.

Each of the systems realising 2 from their pack of 5 and 6 to support and interchange with the front man Kane.

I see Berahino as a upgrade to Chadli. Chadli can score goals but the rest of his game is not good.

There is still a lot options that Poch had to try. Players like N'Jie, Trippier, Pritchard haven't play yet.

The good thing is how bad Lamela look on the field in the past 2 games.

Hopefully Poch will put the Lamela project on hold.

Do you really believe our muppet-manager really understand something from tactics and systems?

I dont.

A man who understand is also able to make moves and change the system during the game.

In trainings the players can learn how to make connections between them, repeating some moves, creating fixed scenarios..!

No tactics, no system, even no creativity in changes, absolutely zero manager.

Running thsd of miles in training doesnt mean football.

Goodbye pochetino.

Any manager from premier league is better than you. Anyone.

I think it's difficult for any manager, who's side have been reasonably

successful (5th) to discard those players that achived that, without giving them the chance to prove their worth

again.

To buy and bring in new young players and select them over the old (and not that old) guard, could create a

problem. He needs to see........

1: The new additions, in pre-season and in training for a little longer than just 2 games into the campaign.

2: Give the old guard a chance to up their game, now they have real competition.

These sensitive, poor millionaires, need to be handle with a bit of diplomacy. Poor loves!

Poch brought Bentelab on for Mason for 2 reason in my opinion.............

Mason had run his sock off for seventy minutes in his first start back after injury. Poch hoped Bentaled would be strong enough

to put the OT game behind him and do a job. Thats clever management. OT is in the past son, go and show us so! Bentaleb

let Poch down. Kane HAD to come off and our only forward threat on the bench was Lamela. Not Poches fault, as he can only

work with whats infront of him and wait for the chairman buy in better options.

Hoever I agrree one Berihino in, the string line-up will be.....................

4-5-1:

Lloris.

Walker. Toby. Vert. Rose(4)

N'jie Alli Eriksen Mason, Berahino(5)

Kane (1)

You will then see this formation on paper develope into a 4-3-3. Even a 3-6-1.

Each of the systems realising 2 from their pack of 5 and 6 to support and interchange with the front man Kane.

I salute you sir, couldn't agree more. This seems so obvious to me yet reading some of the other post I feel like pulling my hair out! Im annoyed we lost but what are some people expecting?? Shit happens and there are restrictions in every squad especially ones with restricted wages and a mismatch of players due to the every changing managers and styles.

There's only one way this works, give the manager time to build his squad and get rid off and bring in the right players, this will take time. Let's hope poch does start getting results because if the unrealistic supporters start getting there voices heard this could push levy to act wrongly and restart the vicious cycle.

Poch is not a saint, not the greatest manager, and not going to win us the league. He is the manager we need to stick with, he is great with kids and keeps the books balanced untill the revenue comes in. There's no other way!

There is always another way!

I don't expect Poch to be a saint or deliver the EPL or indeed even a cup or 2. I do not expect that at all. I want it, but do not expect it.

I do expect him to coach the team. Select the correct players. Play 'good' football, or play winning football. Be a manager and coach and leader of the club. 

The team is a reflection of the manager. He has been here over a year and has had sufficient time to fully implement his 'philosophy' have no idea what that is, does anyone ?. Last season bar 3/4 games IMO we were as boring and predictable as under a previous manager, but with less points. Bar the exploits of Harry Kane, we would be in deep shit. How many of us were screaming for Harry to be given a chance , as the statue that was Adebayor was wheeled out game after game last term?. He selected our 'leaders' then kicked 2 of 3 to the kerb pretty sharpish. Bad, bad decisions in the first place (but at least he corrected it).

I am not knee jerking to the beat of the last 2 disappointing games, I've called for his replacement for about a year now!  I doubt Mr Levy read or takes notice of an internet forum, so us (or just me) venting re Poch bears little if any relevance to Levy pulling the trigger. I simply do not think he is a good manager and have seen nothing  (bar 3 /4 games last season) to indicate he is any good whatsoever. He plays the exact same formation every single game with no regard to the players selected, or indeed the opposition. That's a serious red flag right there.

I was pondering my Poch gripe a few days ago when speaking to a fellow football fan, and realised what my biggest gripe is with Poch. Our team is a young team, but we play like old men! We are not dynamic. There appears to be a collective 'play safe' strategy.  Sometimes its like we don't run or pass the ball with any pace whatsoever! Lamela has been a huge disappointment, but I have never criticized him as he does actually try and make things happen, same with Eriksen. They try and effect the pass or dribble (often when they shouldn't) to beat the man or setup a chance, this I can forgive. 

If the strategy is keep Poch until we get the stadium and increased revenue streams. Well, I just don't get that at all, we can do so much better than that through good coaching. Appoint the best manager/coach you can afford/get.

In relation to a footballers wage and fee, the extra on a better manager is peanuts. Seriously, do you guys think the best coach we can get is Pochettino?

FdB has ALL the correct attributes and a much much better CV than the present incumbent, so why not ?

Top-2 thank god I am not the only one out there that is concerned about so many areas of the way the club is managed.

You have covered all of my concerns. I understand those that want Poch to stay because they are scared of more indecision and the managers in/out situation.

All I would say is do you really think a manager the calibre of Jose would put up with the crap way Spurs is run. If we can't attract his calibre, Mr Levy do your research and get us the up and coming next best thing. Just make sure he understands the standards that are required in future and the committment he has got to instill in the players. Simples!!!

Top 2 always like your posts, and agree I'd preferred fdb and wasn't sure why we never got him as he stated his intent to come, but to get another manager now would just undo all the foundations the club have built. There seems to be a plan that makes sense to me weather this is pochs or levy plan??

Can't see how anyone can say the standard of football isn't better under poch than it was under tim or Andre. Nothing seems rushed with him and apart from lamela and Townsend all the other players have really adapted to his methods.

I do agree that he's football philosophy is hard to see, almost non existant but maybe he still doesn't have the players to play they way he wants and changing the system may seem like going back a few steps in his plan, which is already taking longer than most of us would have wished for.

I don't think he's as bad as many are making out, yes I would love a top profile manager but apart from 3 or 4 managers nothing is guaranteed, van gal would have been out the door by now if he'd come??

For now I'm happy to see where this season takes us, probably 6/5 playing good and bad just like every other year.

Top-2 thank god I am not the only one out there that is concerned about so many areas of the way the club is managed.

You have covered all of my concerns. I understand those that want Poch to stay because they are scared of more indecision and the managers in/out situation.

All I would say is do you really think a manager the calibre of Jose would put up with the crap way Spurs is run. If we can't attract his calibre, Mr Levy do your research and get us the up and coming next best thing. Just make sure he understands the standards that are required in future and the committment he has got to instill in the players. Simples!!!

We're above chelsea with a tenth the money, what's your point. Ha ha

Do you really believe our muppet-manager really understand something from tactics and systems?

I dont.

A man who understand is also able to make moves and change the system during the game.

In trainings the players can learn how to make connections between them, repeating some moves, creating fixed scenarios..!

No tactics, no system, even no creativity in changes, absolutely zero manager.

Running thsd of miles in training doesnt mean football.

Goodbye pochetino.

Any manager from premier league is better than you. Anyone.

kin hell

I think we would definitely have the advantage

if we played a 3-5-2-1! :)

Haha - that's the danger of posting after midnight and more importantly, after many beers!

What I meant to say was 3-5-2.

Honestly, I could care less about the formation/shape. I want the best XI on the pitch for that day's opposition.

I am reminded of last seasons second match against Man U where we came out with the perfect personnel for the way Man U had played the last 2 months worth of matches only to discover LVG had changed everything up and gone with a "big" lineup featuring Fellaini, who had not featured once under LVG. Formation/shape made no difference at all. We had the wrong XI on the field and paid for it.

Thanks for your comments.

I hope/ thought the whole reason we have gone the Mitchell route is for the club strategy to be independent of the head coach. We picked Mitchell not because of his Poch link, but to implement a conveyor belt of young fresh talent, just like Southampton have. Therefore the coach should be changeable, the system remains. May have worded that badly, but hope you see what I mean.

I would really love to see how a fucking manager like Jose "bore the people to death" Mourinho would manage a smaller club without a Oligarch who backs him financially?! Or Louis Van Gaal who was given 200 million to win the league. Or AVB who only win leagues when theres no competition(Portugal and Russia)! 

Thanks for your comments.

I hope/ thought the whole reason we have gone the Mitchell route is for the club strategy to be independent of the head coach. We picked Mitchell not because of his Poch link, but to implement a conveyor belt of young fresh talent, just like Southampton have. Therefore the coach should be changeable, the system remains. May have worded that badly, but hope you see what I mean.

I agree, but thats only half the truth. Levy is obviously trying to copy Sotons transfer policy and Poch is the right manager for that job who would give talents a run. In contrast to others! Can you imagine Mourinho would do this, or Pellegrini? Even Koeman gave it up at Soton. 

Honestly, I could care less about the formation/shape. I want the best XI on the pitch for that day's opposition.

I am reminded of last seasons second match against Man U where we came out with the perfect personnel for the way Man U had played the last 2 months worth of matches only to discover LVG had changed everything up and gone with a "big" lineup featuring Fellaini, who had not featured once under LVG. Formation/shape made no difference at all. We had the wrong XI on the field and paid for it.

I remember this. We were destroyed down the left hand side by Man U. 3 points lost and confidence shot to pieces. Still you cannot blame the Manager for not picking the right team or being able to change his tactics within a 90 minute game. Can you!!!

There are apparently close to 6000 members of this site. I have only been a member for 8 days and have posted 15 times. Posting and reading other views of loyal Spurs fans has been very therapeutic. When Spurs don't play well I still can't watch match of the day so am missing out on general premier league matters but at least I don't feel that my head is about to explode if I hear another word about the squad being improved and therefore the team will do better.

Is it a magicians trick where you buy players,don't play them in the team but tell everyone that the team is better!!!!!!!!

Please read the Spurs News Site. Subjects 1. Why MP will be gone by Xmas.

2. Where's the evidence to say we're improving.

I just wish the Club or officials responsible for this web site would comment on these amazingly accurate views.