Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
CigarGuy

4-2-3-1

It's fascinating reading different opinions on here. There are a few concerns for me. Poch is very tactically stubborn it's 4-2-3-1 from minute 1 to 90. The best managers tactically react to situations that occur on the pitch. We lack leaders. When going gets tough no body on the pitch gets about people and sets the standards. We have gone so far away from the blueprint that had us chalkenging for the league and champions league quarter final under Harry, pace and power. If I was Spurs manager tomorrow id go back to the blueprint that made us so successful and the best team in the country to watch. We need genuine balanced width. This in turn will create more space for our midfield, think back to bale Lennon, that's why modric Parker etc got so much space. A genuine 10 like VDV, we have him in eriksen but he needs to play higher like VDV. How many times did VDV arrive in the box and make it look like a 4-4-2? Harry played a simple one up one off so a 4-4-1-1 that became a 4-4-2 when balls were crossed. We lack a midfielder to run the tempo of the game. Cabaye would of been perfect. Mason bentaleb can't run a game, I'd give dembele the responsibility with a def mid next to him. Lennon has been bombed off yet gives the team the greatest balance on the right. Townsend has to go back to basics to the left. If I took over tomorrow id go with this for all the reasons above, I'm thinking purely about what has got us success and the balance of the team

Lloris

Tripper Jan. Toby. Rose

Lennon. Mason. Dembele. Townsend

Eriksen. Kane

Balanced both sides, very balanced team.

There is always another way!

I don't expect Poch to be a saint or deliver the EPL or indeed even a cup or 2. I do not expect that at all. I want it, but do not expect it.

I do expect him to coach the team. Select the correct players. Play 'good' football, or play winning football. Be a manager and coach and leader of the club. 

The team is a reflection of the manager. He has been here over a year and has had sufficient time to fully implement his 'philosophy' have no idea what that is, does anyone ?. Last season bar 3/4 games IMO we were as boring and predictable as under a previous manager, but with less points. Bar the exploits of Harry Kane, we would be in deep shit. How many of us were screaming for Harry to be given a chance , as the statue that was Adebayor was wheeled out game after game last term?. He selected our 'leaders' then kicked 2 of 3 to the kerb pretty sharpish. Bad, bad decisions in the first place (but at least he corrected it)

I am not knee jerking to the beat of the last 2 disappointing games, I've called for his replacement for about a year now!  I doubt Mr Levy read or takes notice of an internet forum, so us (or just me) venting re Poch bears little if any relevance to Levy pulling the trigger. I simply do not think he is a good manager and have seen nothing  (bar 3 /4 games last season) to indicate he is any good whatsoever. He plays the exact same formation every single game with no regard to the players selected, or indeed the opposition. That's a serious red flag right there.

I was pondering my Poch gripe a few days ago when speaking to a fellow football fan, and realised what my biggest gripe is with Poch. Our team is a young team, but we play like old men! We are not dynamic. There appears to be a collective 'play safe' strategy.  Sometimes its like we don't run or pass the ball with any pace whatsoever! Lamela has been a huge disappointment, but I have never criticized him as he does actually try and make things happen, same with Eriksen. They try and effect the pass or dribble (often when they shouldn't) to beat the man or setup a chance, this I can forgive. 

If the strategy is keep Poch until we get the stadium and increased revenue streams. Well, I just don't get that at all, we can do so much better than that through good coaching. Appoint the best manager/coach you can afford/get.

In relation to a footballers wage and fee, the extra on a better manager is peanuts. Seriously, do you guys think the best coach we can get is Pochettino?

FdB has ALL the correct attributes and a much much better CV than the present incumbent, so why not ?

The question was

why not? In my opinion, the answer is Time/Continuity!

Poch has only been at The Lane for the past 12-14 months. I think I am right in saying, he is part responsible for bringing in, Dier, Toby, Trippier, N'jie, Alli, Davis, Yedlin, Wimmer, Stambouli and Fazio. I may be wrong on one or two of these and the last two

had, have question marks over them. I would argue, and time will tell, that most of us are pleased/confident with the majority of

of Poch's signings. Plus, brought back Carrol and Pritchard into the main fold. He is trying to build the best squad possible,

that will be able to implement his philosophy to it's best affect.

In addition to the In's, Poch has evaluated the squad he inherited and out has gone, Paulinho, Capoue, Kaboul, Chriches, Soldado.

He has also made it clear that Lennon, Ade will not be part of his plans, plus Townsend can go!

Who of us, has or would lose a nights sleep over any of the above going! For me, he has bought and sold well!

He is a manager known for his "encouragement" and promoting the youth. Players that want to play for the shirt.

As far as I am concerned, he has a great footballing philosophy. He is also laying down the foundation, not just

for the immidiate, he is looking, 3,5,6 years ahead. His media persona is in conjunction with the class of our club.

He took us to fifth last season (his first) and I agree, had we not had Harry, we may not have achieved that. But

think about that! What other side in the prem has got close to CL football, with only 1 striker?

Because effectively, (Ade? Soldado? Please!!) that's what Poch achieved.

Continuity: To bring someone new in now, which is what some people are suggesting (2 games into the new season!!!!!)

would be ridiculous in my opinion. It would undo, all the good work done, not just by Poch, and he has done, in my

opinion (see above) some very good work. But everyone at the club has done over the past 12+ months.

We have players at The Lane, that are coming out after offers and rumours from other clubs, stating how happy

they are at The Lane and want to stay!

That tells me we are building (not just buying for the short term) something, in this Premier League era. Something unique!

COYS!!

The hardest thing about being a spurs supporter is being brave enough to believe, your either a Kane or an ade, stand and be counted or hide! Supporters and players alike! Negative energy can only lead to negative outcomes.

I'm certainly not calling for Pochettino to be fired but I have to admit that I am baffled by the timing and choice of his substitutions as well as his lack of flexibility in terms of formation and tactics.  While I think that most here have an opinion on every single player wearing Lillywhite I would suggest that nobody here would agree that Lamela was the correct choice to replace Kane.  Obviously the obvious choice would have been to bring on a striker but for some unknown reason we only have a single striker in the squad!  If you can find me another club in the Premiership, Championship, indeed in Professional Football that can boast of this then I would be amazed.  THIS is what irks me more than anything else about Spurs.    Who decides to sell Soldado when he is the only other striker option in the first team, who decides to freeze out Adebayor when he is the only other option?  Surely even Adebayor could have done a decent job of leading the line and helped preserve the 2-0 win?  Who loans out the only young striker (Coulthirst) that would have a hope of getting first team minutes?  Spurs.

Whether it is Levy and/or Poch, ENIC whoever the hell it is that makes these daft decisions, they are costing the club dearly and its the same or similar things each year with every manager we have had.  Are we in for a relegation battle?  No.  We will definitely finish top 10 and very likely between 5th and 7th come May.  The problem is we are being fed the BS that we aspire to finish Top 4 and given our current policies this is unattainable particularly when you "give away" 4 points in the first 2 matches of the year.  And I seriously doubt that we will have another strike option before we travel to Leicester which means N'jie will face trial by fire baptism.  

Do we have positives to look forward to as Spurs supporters? Absolutely.  But it would be a Hell of lot easier to remain positive in days like these if there were not such obvious cases of stupidity being displayed within the Club. 

We need leadership and this starts at the top.  This starts with getting a squad that has the proper components to at least have a go at success.  Currently that is not the case and it has to change and fast.

The question was

why not? In my opinion, the answer is Time/Continuity!

Poch has only been at The Lane for the past 12-14 months. I think I am right in saying, he is part responsible for bringing in, Dier, Toby, Trippier, N'jie, Alli, Davis, Yedlin, Wimmer, Stambouli and Fazio. I may be wrong on one or two of these and the last two

had, have question marks over them. I would argue, and time will tell, that most of us are pleased/confident with the majority of

of Poch's signings. Plus, brought back Carrol and Pritchard into the main fold. He is trying to build the best squad possible,

that will be able to implement his philosophy to it's best affect.

In addition to the In's, Poch has evaluated the squad he inherited and out has gone, Paulinho, Capoue, Kaboul, Chriches, Soldado.

He has also made it clear that Lennon, Ade will not be part of his plans, plus Townsend can go!

Who of us, has or would lose a nights sleep over any of the above going! For me, he has bought and sold well!

He is a manager known for his "encouragement" and promoting the youth. Players that want to play for the shirt.

As far as I am concerned, he has a great footballing philosophy. He is also laying down the foundation, not just

for the immidiate, he is looking, 3,5,6 years ahead. His media persona is in conjunction with the class of our club.

He took us to fifth last season (his first) and I agree, had we not had Harry, we may not have achieved that. But

think about that! What other side in the prem has got close to CL football, with only 1 striker?

Because effectively, (Ade? Soldado? Please!!) that's what Poch achieved.

Continuity: To bring someone new in now, which is what some people are suggesting (2 games into the new season!!!!!)

would be ridiculous in my opinion. It would undo, all the good work done, not just by Poch, and he has done, in my

opinion (see above) some very good work. But everyone at the club has done over the past 12+ months.

We have players at The Lane, that are coming out after offers and rumours from other clubs, stating how happy

they are at The Lane and want to stay!

That tells me we are building (not just buying for the short term) something, in this Premier League era. Something unique!

COYS!!

Great Post.

I disagree, but hope you are right and I am wrong.

I remember this. We were destroyed down the left hand side by Man U. 3 points lost and confidence shot to pieces. Still you cannot blame the Manager for not picking the right team or being able to change his tactics within a 90 minute game. Can you!!!

As I understand it, Managers set their lineups with no knowledge of the other clubs lineup for that match so Poch had no way to know LVG was going to depart so drastically from what he had stubbornly clung to for weeks. So no, I don't blame Poch for that, especially when the lineup he had would have played well against what the Devils had done for weeks.

Secondly, I suggest you go look up the match record. Poch subbed Townsend out for Dembele at just 31 minutes. Dembele was the obvious choice in the middle to deal with what Man U were doing but by that point we were down 2 goals already. There is only so much a manager can do once the lineup is set.

Agree Podgy Tina needs a plan B & C to his formation and use the players we have, make harder decisions like don't bring on Lamela just because he's our record singing when he's clearly not producing. But we have to stick with the manager though tough times and have realistic expectations. There are some signs of moving in right direction. If Stoke game finished at 60 mins, think the views of the manager would be different to some of the comments on here.

Changing managers again is simply not a good option if we ever want to build a long term plan! Been there, done that too many times already. Time for stability and stick with a strategy that will be focused around youth development whilst we build new stadium unless a new owner comes in and wants to bank roll us but be careful what you wish for.

Given resources and squads or top 4 plus Liverpool should we really finish higher than 6th - no. So anything higher than 6th in my book is success at the moment. Let's get real. As long as play good football finish 6th and have avoid cup run - ideally win one, I can't ask for more than that at mo.

I'm certainly not calling for Pochettino to be fired but I have to admit that I am baffled by the timing and choice of his substitutions as well as his lack of flexibility in terms of formation and tactics. While I think that most here have an opinion on every single player wearing Lillywhite I would suggest that nobody here would agree that Lamela was the correct choice to replace Kane. Obviously the obvious choice would have been to bring on a striker but for some unknown reason we only have a single striker in the squad! If you can find me another club in the Premiership, Championship, indeed in Professional Football that can boast of this then I would be amazed. THIS is what irks me more than anything else about Spurs. Who decides to sell Soldado when he is the only other striker option in the first team, who decides to freeze out Adebayor when he is the only other option? Surely even Adebayor could have done a decent job of leading the line and helped preserve the 2-0 win? Who loans out the only young striker (Coulthirst) that would have a hope of getting first team minutes? Spurs.

Whether it is Levy and/or Poch, ENIC whoever the hell it is that makes these daft decisions, they are costing the club dearly and its the same or similar things each year with every manager we have had. Are we in for a relegation battle? No. We will definitely finish top 10 and very likely between 5th and 7th come May. The problem is we are being fed the BS that we aspire to finish Top 4 and given our current policies this is unattainable particularly when you "give away" 4 points in the first 2 matches of the year. And I seriously doubt that we will have another strike option before we travel to Leicester which means N'jie will face trial by fire baptism.

Do we have positives to look forward to as Spurs supporters? Absolutely. But it would be a Hell of lot easier to remain positive in days like these if there were not such obvious cases of stupidity being displayed within the Club.

We need leadership and this starts at the top. This starts with getting a squad that has the proper components to at least have a go at success. Currently that is not the case and it has to change and fast.

don't mind if I call you Xavi I hope? Great post mr alonso