Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Borodin

The Pulling Power Of Poch.....

Guest Borodin
"I think he is a very good coach, one of the best," said Puyol, a six-time La Liga champion and three-time Champions League winner, to Spurs TV recently.
Famed for his high-pressing and attack-minded brand of football, Pochettino is also revered for the manner in which he nurtures youth talent and has won acclaim for his work with Harry Kane, Eric Dier and Dele Alli at Tottenham."I like his way of understanding football," Puyol said. "He likes good football but with players who show intensity. He really enjoys his profession and that is something I love.
"He is a great coach."

No-one ever embodied the culture more extravagantly than Jose Mourinho when he went down so vaingloriously at Chelsea, crying into the night that his players had betrayed him with their failure to respect and feed upon his genius.Mourinho, Alex Ferguson and the currently besieged Louis Van Gaal all nourished their images with lashings of self-regard, and if Jurgen Klopp is currently doing it at Liverpool with considerable honesty and superior charm, he will never be a candidate for a place in the shadows.However, it may be that in the top four of the Premier League we could be seeing an extraordinary exception to the trend.

Its name is Mauricio Pochettino and increasingly it is one being bandied among the power brokers of English football.

The possibility it evokes is an almost entirely novel concept of 21st century football success. It is about a coach who teaches, one who never confuses the passing glory of today with the work that needs to be done tomorrow.We will know better after Tottenham's visit to the sometimes pesky, over-achieving Crystal Palace tomorrow afternoon but there is certainly some reason to believe that Pochettino might well be on the way to an extraordinary coup.The cultivation of unity has been Pochettino's theme through Espanyol, Southampton and Tottenham and for the moment at least his work is earning admiration, nowhere more profoundly than in the trenches of the game.

This is one aspect we have not yet discussed but it represents an enormous plus for the club. Without a doubt Mauricio Pochettino is someone who will attract any young talented player to the squad should Spurs decide to show an interest. His work and dedication in developing players is second to none and the temptation to join the doctrine of such a manager together with the idea of also becoming a part of the Tottenham revolution currently going on must be a huge magnet to the up and coming gifted players.

I believe we have someone at the helm who is a breath of fresh air in comparison to the usual shopping sprees that the top flight bosses invariably indulge in. His signings are astute and with foresight. There really is a plan for the future...the big danger is he will be tempted by the big clubs and his work will all unravel and fade away under the guidance of anyone else who replaces him. The current group of players love him to bits and that is clearly apparent in their play.

Let's hope he decides to see his dreams come to fruition at the Lane.....

I am not sure that Pochettino is a Manager that will attract the best talent in the World but Spurs aren't really a team that does that either.  But young talent in teams like Barca, Real and Bayern that can't get a look in would surely look at us as a real opportunity.  You can't argue with the results and trends that his guidance has brought to Spurs.  This is the most upbeat I have been about the squad we have since we were screwed out of the CL when Cheslea qualified by winning after finishing behind us.  What I like even better is the potential we show for the next few years.  Given the age of our players surely we can only get better.  The only so called experts and pundits saying otherwise are ex Arsenal twats.....

A coach with his team in the top four of, arguably, the most competitive league there is, without any Pre-existing super stars (ha ha except for Townsend and maybe Lamela), must  have to work his but off and that might be what is difference for me about Poch over some of the top coaches out there. His work ethic.                    Pelligrino, Wenger, etc... none of them would be where they are today without huge amounts of money and only the most talented players behind them. We have the sixth biggest payroll in the premier league with Chelsea and Man City being number one and number two  You go Mauricio   

You can only judge people on their results.  Not only is Pochettino getting results, yesterday his substitutions had a profound effect on the result of the match.  Bringing in Chadli changed the match.  What impresses me most is how the players respond.  We really do have a group that is all pulling in the same direction.  I think this is a bigger contributor to success than tactics in the modern game.  Managing egos is the most difficult thing a Manager does which is why Harry was successful.

It's a two way street!

Poch's ethos, footballing ethic, relies on his players being prepared to put in the miles on the

training pitch and on match days. This is why he puts an emphasis on young 'potentially' gifted

players. They are far more pliable, ready to buy into this! The clever part is maintaining it when

the spotlight of success shines upon them, and the attention/focus they receive from various 'outlets'!

This could well be our 'class of 92'! By the time they have become truly aware of their potential as a group,

squad of players, Ferguson had stamped his mark on them! Had ingrained into them, that hard graft and a certain

humbleness and appreciation towards their gift, and the fans on the terraces, far outweighed them as individuals!

They were a team (Fergie included) of like minded, hard working professionals. Yes, they received fantastic

rewards and recognition, but this, their work ethic as a team, was their main focus and real reward!

It's our time, now lady's and gentlemen. An should ANYONE ever think they are bigger and better, than the club, and

forget their 'roots'! They will be extradited to a fellow group of souless mercenaries, up north, the fulham rd or abroad!

My love affair with Poch started pre Tottenham. He ain't cheated on me yet!

Coys!

Royce71- regular posters will know your "Bromance" with Poch has been evident for some time.

I am assuming this infatuations has grown as your predictions of a run of good results during Dec and Jan has proved correct!!

Beware sometimes "Love is blind" especially with us old codgers!!!

A bit of "spursy" inconsistency is due and I would hate for you to suffer another broken heart!!!!

Royce71- regular posters will know your "Bromance" with Poch has been evident for some time.

I am assuming this infatuations has grown as your predictions of a run of good results during Dec and Jan has proved correct!!

Beware sometimes "Love is blind" especially with us old codgers!!!

A bit of "spursy" inconsistency is due and I would hate for you to suffer another broken heart!!!!

Your concern for my wellbeing is touching Asc3, but fear not Man! Both you and I, will remain in good health, along

with the rest of this (brilliant) forum, to witness and celebrate a top 3 finish this season.

How can I be so sure?

Well, every night before I turn off the bedside light, I give the 8x4 framed photo of Poch, that also sits there, a look

and a smile, look deep into his eyes, an I just know he's the one!:)

COYS!

Guest Borodin

A bit of "spursy" inconsistency is due

That's the past...we're not learning "History" any more....we're now studying "Current Affairs".....do try and keep up !!

He's the best manager we've had in years, even more so than Redknapp. Harry got VERY lucky with the players he ended up with (Modric and Bale he didn't sign, VDV he didn't want) and we took advantage of Liverpool having a bad year to get into the top 4, I'm not saying we didn't play great football those couple of years, but this feels different, this feels like Poch is building a dynasty, getting young talent from within our academy or the lower leagues and making them into stars, what he's done with Eric Dier is phenomenal, the single solitary concern is a lack of plan B when Kane isn't firing, relying on the sole striker won't work against every team, but that's it, like most of you, I've not been this excited about a Tottenham team in years, the stats alone bear the view out that this team is going places, just hope things don't occur to ruin what we deserve. 

I still have doubts about Poch.

But he continues to surprise me and I have to show him respect for his work.

how can you still doubt Poch? Chelski & Man U would love him in charge and that surely speaks for itself. We are seriously building something great here. I've said it before, we need stability, we need to back Podgy Tina with investment in the players he wants and as fans everyone should be supporting him. We will still have some poor results and performances along the way but these will be far outweighed by good results and football. We finally are starting to see the mighty Spurs starting to mix it with the rest.

I really don't want to go back to the bad old days of mid table and generally playing some poor football with many players who's hearts weren't in it (Harry's one season or so aside which was mainly down to some exceptional players like Bale, Modrick & VDV).

The future is bright!

He's the best manager we've had in years, even more so than Redknapp. Harry got VERY lucky with the players he ended up with (Modric and Bale he didn't sign, VDV he didn't want) and we took advantage of Liverpool having a bad year to get into the top 4, I'm not saying we didn't play great football those couple of years, but this feels different, this feels like Poch is building a dynasty, getting young talent from within our academy or the lower leagues and making them into stars, what he's done with Eric Dier is phenomenal, the single solitary concern is a lack of plan B when Kane isn't firing, relying on the sole striker won't work against every team, but that's it, like most of you, I've not been this excited about a Tottenham team in years, the stats alone bear the view out that this team is going places, just hope things don't occur to ruin what we deserve.

Good post! Found myself nodding in agreement when reading it!

In response to the worst case scenario, I still think Poch/the squad would deliver. City are a class act going forward. Where is

their big target man? If we bring in the likes of Berahino in the next 72 hours, I would still be confident of achieving our

target this season.

how can you still doubt Poch? Chelski & Man U would love him in charge and that surely speaks for itself. We are seriously building something great here. I've said it before, we need stability, we need to back Podgy Tina with investment in the players he wants and as fans everyone should be supporting him. We will still have some poor results and performances along the way but these will be far outweighed by good results and football. We finally are starting to see the mighty Spurs starting to mix it with the rest.

I really don't want to go back to the bad old days of mid table and generally playing some poor football with many players who's hearts weren't in it (Harry's one season or so aside which was mainly down to some exceptional players like Bale, Modrick & VDV).

The future is bright!

It's an insurance policy! Some people need to have something, (in place) in this case, negativity, to protect themselves from 'Upset'!

It's a two way street!

Poch's ethos, footballing ethic, relies on his players being prepared to put in the miles on the

training pitch and on match days. This is why he puts an emphasis on young 'potentially' gifted

players. They are far more pliable, ready to buy into this! The clever part is maintaining it when

the spotlight of success shines upon them, and the attention/focus they receive from various 'outlets'!

This could well be our 'class of 92'! By the time they have become truly aware of their potential as a group,

squad of players, Ferguson had stamped his mark on them! Had ingrained into them, that hard graft and a certain

humbleness and appreciation towards their gift, and the fans on the terraces, far outweighed them as individuals!

They were a team (Fergie included) of like minded, hard working professionals. Yes, they received fantastic

rewards and recognition, but this, their work ethic as a team, was their main focus and real reward!

It's our time, now lady's and gentlemen. An should ANYONE ever think they are bigger and better, than the club, and

forget their 'roots'! They will be extradited to a fellow group of souless mercenaries, up north, the fulham rd or abroad!

My love affair with Poch started pre Tottenham. He ain't cheated on me yet!

Coys!

Royce please invite me to the imminent wedding!

I have warmed to Poch, but I still have my doubts. I will pass to one side last season, in my view it was diabolical football. His decisions were super poor, re captaincy. 

This season is great.....but with caveats. The football is a vast improvement, so much more fluid and dynamic. Perhaps I am not easily pleased, but with the passing of Chelsea and to some extent Manure this season has evolved into a real opportunity to do what we have not since 1961, win the title....or at least mount a totally credible challenge, such as lowly Leicester. We, Spurs need improvement. For me, we have in the football sense, but not on points gained and points win prizes. 

Bear with me on this... 

Present 2015/16   Played    24     Points   45

2014/15   Played    24     Points   43

2013/14   Played    24     Points   44

2012/13   Played    24     Points   42

I was quite surprised how similar the totals were, so whilst I am very happy with the actual football, we desperately need to turn more of the many draws to wins. This seasons is a real surprise and we could step forward and make a big statement. In my view, we should have added in the January window. That was a big error. The title is there to be won and only Leicester seem interested! Leicester!! 

Come on,  we are Tottenham, dare to win it.

Royce please invite me to the imminent wedding!

I have warmed to Poch, but I still have my doubts. I will pass to one side last season, in my view it was diabolical football. His decisions were super poor, re captaincy. 

This season is great.....but with caveats. The football is a vast improvement, so much more fluid and dynamic. Perhaps I am not easily pleased, but with the passing of Chelsea and to some extent Manure this season has evolved into a real opportunity to do what we have not since 1961, win the title....or at least mount a totally credible challenge, such as lowly Leicester. We, Spurs need improvement. For me, we have in the football sense, but not on points gained and points win prizes. 

Bear with me on this... 

Present 2015/16   Played    24     Points   45

2014/15   Played    24     Points   43

2013/14   Played    24     Points   44

2012/13   Played    24     Points   42

I was quite surprised how similar the totals were, so whilst I am very happy with the actual football, we desperately need to turn more of the many draws to wins. This seasons is a real surprise and we could step forward and make a big statement. In my view, we should have added in the January window. That was a big error. The title is there to be won and only Leicester seem interested! Leicester!! 

Come on,  we are Tottenham, dare to win it.

You are definitely on the guest list Top_2. Compiling it, as I post!

Stats Ssmats! Bigger picture for me. I see a young, (meaning still learning at this level) talented, committed squad, not just

7 or 8 player, but a whole squad (25+) of players buying into Poch's philosophy. He is, imo building something very

special at Tottenham. We have fantastic foundations. Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Toby, Verts, Lloris, Dier, Dembele, need I go on!

State of the art training facilities. A brilliant academy set-up, and the new stadium.

Last season, we did not get CL qualification. Did Verts, Lloris, Eriksen, Lamela, Kane etc want away? No! Why? Because

of Pochettino! Instead they all signed contract extensions, along with other squad members, that were touted by other

Prem sides. We brought in Dier, Toby Alderwield, Trippier, Alli and had to disappoint a highly rated english striker,

because of politics.

I understand, and feel the fear of failure (no top 3) which might mean departures, but even in this worst case scenario,

I still believe Poch has impressed so greatly since his arrival at The Lane and everyone has bought into it, that the

nucleus (Kane, Alli, Toby, Verts, Dier, Son, Dembele, even Hugo) would remain for one more season.

Every time I watch our beloved Tottenham, I see improvement. In our technique, fluidity of play and commitment. We struggled

early doors to close out a game, hence so many draws. That side of things (match management) has improved.

Mauricio Pochettino, is building a dynasty. It begins with automatic CL qualification this season and will continue to grow

for many a year, of that I have no doubt!

COYS!

Ps, Just for the menu. Vegetarian or Not?:)

Veggie!! Don't you swear at me! One of my maxims, which my dear wife has learned over the years.....'' there are no know circumstances where one slice of bacon is preferable to two''

I too see great improvements, and have you more right than I with your enthusiasm for Poch (previous discussions).

I, alas, have looked ahead to a pretty tough run in, March/April  Looks like this....

West Ham         away

Arsenal              away

Villa                    away

Bournemouth     Home

Liverpool            away

Manure              Home

Stoke                  away

West Brom         Home

Chelsea              away

Those are some pretty tough fixtures. We need to get the points on the board now, how we may rue that awful Newcastle game.

I truly hope Poch is building something special, I can see it a little more than previously. Onward upwards, we should be going balls out for the title, no less!!

Veggie!! Don't you swear at me! One of my maxims, which my dear wife has learned over the years.....'' there are no know circumstances where one slice of bacon is preferable to two''

I too see great improvements, and have you more right than I with your enthusiasm for Poch (previous discussions).

I, alas, have looked ahead to a pretty tough run in, March/April  Looks like this....

West Ham         away

Arsenal              away

Villa                    away

Bournemouth     Home

Liverpool            away

Manure              Home

Stoke                  away

West Brom         Home

Chelsea              away

Those are some pretty tough fixtures. We need to get the points on the board now, how we may rue that awful Newcastle game.

I truly hope Poch is building something special, I can see it a little more than previously. Onward upwards, we should be going balls out for the title, no less!!

Granted, it ain't gonna be easy! Woolwich, City and Leicester will take points off of one another over this month, so we have

to make sure that nothing less than 3 points at Home to watford will do. Then we are away at the Etihad and I hope the

momentum will be with us and we get a 'result' there. Then Swansea at home, when Woolwich are away at Utd, City at NUFC

and Leicester at home to Norwich!

I,d take 7 points now from our next 3 games. If so, then not sure the other 3 will? City 5? Leicester 5? Woolwich 5?

Our youth, can go either way. We can get overcome with nerves. Or the exuberance of youth will see us fearless in our quest!

I think it will be the laTter with this squad. We won't implode like the other mob in N5!

Coys!!

Note to me........

No veggie burgers for Top_2 and his good lady.