Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Hastingsyid

PLAYER DEBATE

Especially for you Taffs

Who is/was the better player for wales

RYAN GIGGS OR GARETH BALE........??????

For me it is Giggs. Although Bale is still young I suspect he won't quite get to be as good as Giggs.

Guest Borodin

Especially for you Taffs

Who is/was the better player for wales

RYAN GIGGS OR GARETH BALE........??????

Undoubtedly..without a shadow of a doubt Bale. It's a no brainer....Giggs didn't give a toss about Wales and that was illustrated in his performances. Bale turns up regardless of niggling injury / club commitments and always gives his best...just a case of someone who is proud to be Welsh compared to someone who wished he'd been born in England.

Guest Borodin

i must admit that goal he scored against the scum woolwich pricks was legendary

Your question was regarding international performances......and as regards that Giggs was crap !!

Guest Borodin

oops my bad

you touchy old git

ooops my bad.........what the hell does that mean you dyslexic wazzock ?????

For me it is Giggs. Although Bale is still young I suspect he won't quite get to be as good as Giggs.

It depends on how you interpret 'was the better player for Wales'. Do you take it as skill wise or commitment wise. In the first case I would plump for Giggs in the second Bale. I'm not letting emotion cloud my judgement.

Guest Borodin

It depends on how you interpret 'was the better player for Wales'. Do you take it as skill wise or commitment wise. In the first case I would plump for Giggs in the second Bale. I'm not letting emotion cloud my judgement.

If you only use 30% of your skill at international level and are a great player...give me someone who is a good player and gives you 100% of his skills every time.....couple that with a passion and commitment beyond question then Bale is your man every time....took us 58 years to get here....couldn't have done it without him.

As I've said previously on here.

Giggs had 64 caps in a career spanning almost 20 years.

I find this (people make the excuse Fergie didn't want him to risk himself ) appauling.

I despise Giggs with a passion for letting us down.

Guest Borodin

As I've said previously on here.

Giggs had 64 caps in a career spanning almost 20 years.

I find this (people make the excuse Fergie didn't want him to risk himself ) appauling.

I despise Giggs with a passion for letting us down.

Well said mate, totally agree....don't ever tell me he put his country first. The number of times he withdrew due to 'niggling injury' was disgusting. He was more like Darren Anderton at international level...his relationship with Fergie was just like some schoolboy saying to his mum "I don't feel like going today...will you please write me a note ?".

Well said mate, totally agree....don't ever tell me he put his country first. The number of times he withdrew due to 'niggling injury' was disgusting. He was more like Darren Anderton at international level...his relationship with Fergie was just like some schoolboy saying to his mum "I don't feel like going today...will you please write me a note ?".

Please don't buy into the pathetic media "Sicknote" crap. He played 471 games, 299 for us. His England career was derailed by the media who all got a hard on for Beckham who was never as good as Anderton at the time.

Without undermining any proud Welshman (Borodin/Stanmac) There is no debate! When, imo it came

to representing his country, Giggs was no more than a pre-madonna! Pre-madonna in the sense he

chose when it suited him to represent his country, whereas Bale imo would crawl over hot coals to do just that!

Once again, imo in this debate, there is no debate!

Guest Borodin

Please don't buy into the pathetic media "Sicknote" crap. He played 471 games, 299 for us. His England career was derailed by the media who all got a hard on for Beckham who was never as good as Anderton at the time.

Just for information

Between 1995 and 1998 he made just 39 appearances due to groin, hernia and knee problems. In 1999, he needed achilles surgery, which ruled him out for three months.
Full list...

·  November 1992: Hernia operation after joining Spurs. Out six weeks.

·  October 1994: Torn groin muscle, out five weeks.

·  August 1995: Hernia operation. misses two weeks

·  October 1995: Groin injury, out eight months.

·  June 1996: Groin surgery following Euro 96.

·  September 1996: Groin injury, five weeks out.

·  May 1997: Groin operation, plays 16 games all season.

·  July 1997: Pre-season hamstring injury, misses first four months of season.

·  December 1997: Knee injury, out four weeks.

·  February 1998: Groin surgery, out three months.

·  September 1999: Achilles surgery, out three months.

·  May 2000: Misses Euro 2000 to recover from Achilles injury.

·  February 2001: Achilles injury, out three months.

Jimmy Greaves quote

"I'm 58 and I think even I've played more football than Anderton over the past two years. If the Black Death ever swept through London again,I would not even want to be in the next street to him because you can be sure he would get it."

Just for information

Between 1995 and 1998 he made just 39 appearances due to groin, hernia and knee problems. In 1999, he needed achilles surgery, which ruled him out for three months.

Full list...

·  November 1992: Hernia operation after joining Spurs. Out six weeks.

·  October 1994: Torn groin muscle, out five weeks.

·  August 1995: Hernia operation. misses two weeks

·  October 1995: Groin injury, out eight months.

·  June 1996: Groin surgery following Euro 96.

·  September 1996: Groin injury, five weeks out.

·  May 1997: Groin operation, plays 16 games all season.

·  July 1997: Pre-season hamstring injury, misses first four months of season.

·  December 1997: Knee injury, out four weeks.

·  February 1998: Groin surgery, out three months.

·  September 1999: Achilles surgery, out three months.

·  May 2000: Misses Euro 2000 to recover from Achilles injury.

·  February 2001: Achilles injury, out three months.

Jimmy Greaves quote

"I'm 58 and I think even I've played more football than Anderton over the past two years. If the Black Death ever swept through London again,I would not even want to be in the next street to him because you can be sure he would get it."

He was unfortunate with injuries but did he deserve to get the awful nickname?

Darren Anderton 12 years at Spurs 299 games

Bryan Robson 13 years at United 345 games

Micheal Owen 13 years Liverpool, Madrid, Newcastle 323

Kieron Dyer 15 years Ipswich, Newcastle, West Ham 310

Jamie Redknapp 13 years Liverpool, Spurs 285

All England internationals, all missed a lot of games yet only one gets a nasty nickname, do people even remember about the others injury problems, probably not as the media chose not to dig them out like they have Walcott and Oxbrain-Chamberlain and Wheelchair

Guest Borodin

Apparently it was Andy Gosney the Portsmouth goalkeeper who gave him the nickname and I agree it has unfortunately haunted the player for the rest of his career. I can still remember schoolfriends who were assigned such cruel titles and have carried them through life for over 50 years like a curse....very sad.

It wasn't Andy Gosney who gave him that name,it was the media.

Darren played almost 600 games.

If a certain Spurs physio had done his job correctly,the probability is he would never have missed so many games.

Guest Borodin

It wasn't Andy Gosney who gave him that name,it was the media.

Darren played almost 600 games.

If a certain Spurs physio had done his job correctly,the probability is he would never have missed so many games.

Don't know about that mate but everywhere I search on this topic gives me this information :

Anderton will tell you, in that soft voice of his, about the extra two years of hurt. Five hernia ops and more time than he cares to remember watching the Premiership from his post by the entrance to the tunnel at White Hart Lane; all the barbs about his nickname "Sicknote", invented by Andy Gosney, the reserve-team goalkeeper at Portsmouth where he was more usually known as "Shaggy" after the character in Scooby Doo

Wikipedia ...."Anderton's career has been constantly frustrated by injury earning him the nickname "Sicknote" which was coined by Portsmouth goalkeeper Andy Gosney"

A great winger for Spurs and 30 England caps to his name. But poor old Darren Anderton seemed to be on the treatment table more often than on the pitch. Thanks to Andy Gosney, Anderton’s former colleague at Portsmouth, he will forever be remembered as “Sicknoteâ€

Although injury throughout Darren’s career has been well documented (former Pompey team mate Andy Gosney coining the 'sicknote' nickname) he would make over 500 appearances at club level

I've actually got his book called Takenote,

Page 93, whilst at Portsmouth he'd been ill with a migraine and missed a game.

These are his words,,,,,When I came back into training,Andy Gosney,one of the goalkeepers joked: Have you got your sick note?

It was nothing but someone must have heard it and later dug it out for a story. The Media.