Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
spursGirl

Worst football experience ever?

Ok I'll start. My worst football match ever - Burnley v Southend (poss 1987?) pissed down with rain, shite match, bad food, 5 of us squeezed into a tiny FIAT to the match , should've put me off football forever, ( and I was a neutral!)

anyone else has one like that???

Guest Borodin

September 22nd 1976....I travelled on the Wrexham away bus (my home town) to watch them play Spurs in the Football League Cup 3rd round. I was a fanatical Spurs supporter in those days but had to suppress that fact as I journeyed with my mates down to London. Wrexham took the lead through a young Mickey Thomas (remember his goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup) against a Spurs side containing legendary goalkeeper Pat Jennings as well as a teenage Glenn Hoddle. On a rain soaked Wednesday evening Wrexham doubled their advantage before half time with Thomas again scoring. Man of the match Bobby Shinton was again involved after the interval, setting up Billy Ashcroft for an unprecedented third. Tottenham Hotspur 0 Wrexham 3...Goals from Hoddle and then Chris Jones set up a nervy finale but the Welshmen held on for a famous 3 - 2 win. I can remember all my friends cheering as they went 3 - 0 up....I just could not believe it and simply stood there as they bounced up and down around me. I shall never forget the long, long and I mean LONG trip back on that minibus and the stick I had to take that night and for many nights afterwards. It was such a strange mixture of emotions...my small little home town team had beaten my beloved Spurs at The Lane......gutted.

All those years ago and I can still remember as if it were yesterday....

January 1988 FA Cup away at Port Vale: Took my son to his first away game. Got special train from Euston to Burslem on a very cold day. When we arrived the "friendly local constabulary" herded us into groups and marched us to the stadium. Waited about an hour to be let in and their was little in the way of refreshments. The game was a typical giant-killing disaster, we went 2-0 down in the first half on a pudding of a pitch, even players like Waddle were falling over when running with the ball. Got one back in the second half but it was just a lottery as neither team could pass to one an other. My son is now close to tears, tired and hungry, so I try to leave 5 minutes early to beat the rush and find some food, alas we were not allowed to leave the ground. When we do leave it is again like prisoners on "death railway". Luckily I ask a copper if I can get my son some fish and chips in a shop we are passing and he lets me, but waits to make sure we are not going to destroy the town. When we get back to the station there is a massive queue and the cooper walks us to the front so we can get a seat, the only good thing about the day. The journey home was the usual purgatory of being in a confined space with equally depressed fans. After that I only went to away games by car, I won't go into the 8 hour trip back from Cardiff after failing to beat a woeful Blackburn.

September 22nd 1976....I travelled on the Wrexham away bus (my home town) to watch them play Spurs in the Football League Cup 3rd round. I was a fanatical Spurs supporter in those days but had to suppress that fact as I journeyed with my mates down to London. Wrexham took the lead through a young Mickey Thomas (remember his goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup) against a Spurs side containing legendary goalkeeper Pat Jennings as well as a teenage Glenn Hoddle. On a rain soaked Wednesday evening Wrexham doubled their advantage before half time with Thomas again scoring. Man of the match Bobby Shinton was again involved after the interval, setting up Billy Ashcroft for an unprecedented third. Tottenham Hotspur 0 Wrexham 3...Goals from Hoddle and then Chris Jones set up a nervy finale but the Welshmen held on for a famous 3 - 2 win. I can remember all my friends cheering as they went 3 - 0 up....I just could not believe it and simply stood there as they bounced up and down around me. I shall never forget the long, long and I mean LONG trip back on that minibus and the stick I had to take that night and for many nights afterwards. It was such a strange mixture of emotions...my small little home town team had beaten my beloved Spurs at The Lane......gutted.

All those years ago and I can still remember as if it were yesterday....

I remember that game as I only got to see midweek games during the 70's. That was a bad time in our history and a prelude to our relegation.

My dad stopped going to football matches the year Leeds got relegated ( well, one if the times, TBH!) when Leeds fans visiting the Hawthorns went bonkers and chucked seats and anything else they could lay their hands on at the west brom fans... -:(

Can I also add - the cup match at WHL where we got knocked out by Forest on penalties, think that was the same game Klinsmann collided with the forest keeper ( Crossley?) and got stretchered off. We lost on penalties. I can recall actually crying all the way bAck to the pub, and even into my first pint on Guinness post-match... grr.

My dad stopped going to football matches the year Leeds got relegated ( well, one if the times, TBH!) when Leeds fans visiting the Hawthorns went bonkers and chucked seats and anything else they could lay their hands on at the west brom fans... -:(

During this period I used to take my niece and nephew to some of Derby's home matches.

I had to stop because of all the mindless fighting after the matches.

Had two very scary occasions with them - once with Chelsea supporters and once with Leed's lot. Trying to shepherd two young kids dodging fists and stones going through the idiots fighting was not fun.

Never saw much hooliganism as I was playing every week from the mid 60's to early 80's but saw a lot of it when I lived at Kings Cross, every saturday night there were running fights around Kings Cross and St. Pancreas stations. When the England v Scotland game was played the pub didn't open till 7.30pm

My worst football experience ever was May 2016. Away for the weekend with no TV, no internet connection and a lousy phone signal trying to understand my son as he told me we had lost 5 fucking 1 at Newcastle. I must have spent 20 minutes telling him to stop fucking around and give me the real score. When he sent me a photo of the results on Sky ...... that was my worst football experience!

I watch Brendan Batson and Roy McDonald and Tom Finney play for Cambridge Utd lol good experience

My Dad would cry if he knew Tom Finney had played for Cambridge. He was by Dad's favourite player after Ron Burgess, but it's not the Tom Finney you saw.

My Dad would cry if he knew Tom Finney had played for Cambridge. He was by Dad's favourite player after Ron Burgess, but it's not the Tom Finney you saw.

My god. My dad used to cite Cunningham, batson, Regis, Robson etc as the most genuinely talented WBA team EVER

My worst football experience ever was May 2016. Away for the weekend with no TV, no internet connection and a lousy phone signal trying to understand my son as he told me we had lost 5 fucking 1 at Newcastle. I must have spent 20 minutes telling him to stop fucking around and give me the real score. When he sent me a photo of the results on Sky ...... that was my worst football experience!

I feel your pain. My husband is a Newcastle fan. To be fair he didn't gloat, just raised his eyebrows. I was seriously WTF at that one.

I feel your pain. My husband is a Newcastle fan. To be fair he didn't gloat, just raised his eyebrows. I was seriously WTF at that one.

My sister and brother-in-law are season ticket holders at St James' Park. I very wisely chose not to gloat when they were relegated, so they had to keep it down after that debacle too!

My sister and brother-in-law are season ticket holders at St James' Park. I very wisely chose not to gloat when they were relegated, so they had to keep it down after that debacle too!

My cousins travelled from Dundee for that game, he had hoped he would see us clinch the title when he arranged to go with his wifes family (all Newcastle fans). Says it was a long week-end.

On a different level one of my worst experiences relating to football was back in the dark ages of the early 70's. I was playing for my club side in an away game at Gunnersbury Park,

I got to the game with 3 of my team mates in one of their cars. During the game the driver injured his ankle and could not walk without help and was unable to drive. As I was the only other player who

had driven a car it was agreed I would drive us back to Camden Town (about 10 miles) despite not having a license and about 3 driving lessons some 2 years earlier.

Unfortunately the only way we knew back to Camden was on the Great West Road via the Hammersmith Flyover and through the West End. On a Saturday night the traffic

was very heavy and there was a lot of stopping and starting but mainly stalling. Just when we were getting to Euston Road and minutes from home I drove into a bus.

Luckily nobody was hurt and most of the damage was to my mates car, manage to pass his details off as mine and got home safely. Instead of the usual Saturday down the pub.

I went straight to bed as I was shattered. It was the longest 90 mins of my life and it took me 8 years before I started to learn to drive.

Kd,,that John beck side,,,were good ,,yes lots of long balls,,but most of the balls were put into the wide channels,,from the half way line,,mr Ferguson adopted the same mind set Peter schimecial,,long pass as Andy gray would say,,it's long ball ,,,and the Tom Finney I watched played for Northern Ireland