Spurs Web
Jamesinashby

Rumours regarding Toby Alderweirald

7 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

The best clubs will always be those who combine buying wisely with a good academy. Say what you will about Citeh, but Pep seems to buy players for a lot of money, but also improves them when they arrive - Sterling and Walker being examples. Poch does the same (e.g Trippier, Dembele, Dele etc.). Now look at Utd - they were successful when Fergie bought wisely and developed the youngsters but Mourinho just wants to spend more and more buying the so-called 'finished article' ..... how's that going Jose????

I'll give you Sterling. He has improved. 

But do you really think Walker is better this year? 

1 hour ago, Neophyte said:

I'll give you Sterling. He has improved. 

But do you really think Walker is better this year? 

His passing doesn't seem to have improved in the matches I have seen. Nor is he suddenly scoring goals despite getting shooting opportunities.  Having said that, the rest of his game as an attacking winger has been excellent. He still causes mayhem. For me he has looked good at attacking and defending - up to the standard of a top team. That of course has much to do playing with so many world class players in the team with him which could be as much part of any improvement as any coaching, or a bit of both. Also, it is difficult to call to mind, outside of that small band of world class players who regularly put in great balls, wingers and wing backs who are good at crossing. I think our Trippier is one of the best in the EPL.

COYS

So, as of today it seems as if Toby is going as Poch seems to have suggested that he is no longer first choice. 

One of the most frustrating (yet pleasant) things about being a life long Spurs supporter (notice, I said supporter, not fan.  There is a difference) is that we get some great players but can never hold onto them for long periods of success.  However, it's fantastic that we have a chairman and now a manager who so obviously share the same vision of long term growth, have set a strategy to achieve that growth without impacting either the longstanding club ethos, dressing room harmony, supporter comfort or it's profitability. 

Toby Alderweireld s a great player.  Would love to keep him but his vision and ours will not match at this time.  He's almost 30, has had major injuries over the last two seasons and is looking for one last huge payday to further cement his financial future.  Kudos to him and when he leaves he will leave with my gratitude and fond memories.

Under Levy and Poch we now have an exciting squad, reached the semi-finals of the FA cup twice in a row.  Finished in the Top 4 of the league for the last two seasons and looking for it again this season.  We need to push on and win something and that will go a long way to keep the players we have who for the most part seem to understand that we are on a mission.  We have a state of the art training facility that is the envy of every club in Europe and will move into a fantastic new stadium in the heart of our traditional home borough in a few months and we have a much sought after coach who gives young players their chances to develop.  What young exciting player looking to develop would not want to join this club if given a chance.   Toby has done well for us but his legacy will be the role he has played in the speedy development of his ultimate replacement - Davinson Sanchez. 

Good luck Toby and here's to a bright future to my club, my one and only club... 

There are two sides to every story and we really don't know either.  Toby cannot expect more than Harry, Dele or Eriksen.  Then they would want more and so on and so on.  The best way is to increase the base to a more accurate figure like 80K and bump performance bonuses, particularly for appearances with Toby.  That way if an injury does prove a real long term issue Spurs are not hamstrung (see what I did there) with a huge contract for a CB that can't play

Jan has been immense this year so he would also get more.  The fact that Davinson is coming along so well and Foyth a potentially suitable back up makes Toby in a much less admirable position than last year...not to mention the injury.  Poch does not seem to take this shit...he rewards loyalty with loyalty and throws the others away.

I think Toby is absolute class and we will surely miss him when he goes, but that does not mean we should accede to his demands.

he has made it clear that he values the cash above the ethos of the Tottenham 'project.' He is perfectly entitled to that opinion, just as Poch is entitled to unload him at the first opportunity.

Spurs are bigger than Toby, so I don't care if he never plays another game for us.

Agreed,,this situation happened last season with walker,,,they make there beds they must lie in them,,,,his World Cup ambitions are nothing to do with spurs,,toby is preparing for another club,,which is premeditated by himself and his agent,,,but his own ego says he thought he would go back in the side cos he wants to go to the World Cup ,, poch is preparing for life without toby now ,,,not in pre season !!!!

52 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

Agreed,,this situation happened last season with walker,,,they make there beds they must lie in them,,,,his World Cup ambitions are nothing to do with spurs,,toby is preparing for another club,,which is premeditated by himself and his agent,,,but his own ego says he thought he would go back in the side cos he wants to go to the World Cup ,, poch is preparing for life without toby now ,,,not in pre season !!!!

Thinking about this ongoing saga, I think there are points for and against the guy. Yes, it is unsettling when players appear to be holding out for more money. However, at times Toby has been mooted in the media and by the pundits as being one of the best in the EPL, if not the best and the mainstay of the defence. He is entitled to believe that, so it is not so surprising he wants the wage to be much closer, if not matching the top players. After all, it is not just the playmakers and goalscorers behind winning but also the defence and the goalkeeper. 

If it was Harry or the Eric being rotated in the more important matches, I'm sure they would be more than a little miffed. Toby has been a stalwart of the team and I can understand him not understanding being rotated.   

Also, he is moving into the end of his active career. When he sees the sort of money being splashed about, it is not surprising that he is thinking of the future and looking to secure the best he can get. If he feels he deserves more from Spurs but can't get it he may well have asked his agent to see what else was available.

Of course, there is the other side of the coin. The club is entitled to take the path that they feel is in the best interest of the club. Hence the battle that has been going on for months. My view is that it appears that Poch is caught between the wage level the club is prepared to offer and the level Toby thinks he is worth and there may well be no solution, so Poch is only left with the choice that he must replace Toby. I think he rates Toby and would love to keep him - also understands where Toby is coming from but is facing the reality of today's football world. 

COYS

What gets on my tits,is when toby got injured ,,,he went into rehab gets paid well ,,and then still gives us the stiff middle finger,,,,,and then still wants poch to play him ,,cos he has to play to get in the Belgium squad !!!

Seems to me that toby is a very selfish person or it’s his agents fault for feeding him a load of b/s,,,,there is no doubt that if he doesn’t get picked for Belgium,,and we sell him ,,he will blame spurs for all of his woes

40 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

What gets on my tits,is when toby got injured ,,,he went into rehab gets paid well ,,and then still gives us the stiff middle finger,,,,,and then still wants poch to play him ,,cos he has to play to get in the Belgium squad !!!

Seems to me that toby is a very selfish person or it’s his agents fault for feeding him a load of b/s,,,,there is no doubt that if he doesn’t get picked for Belgium,,and we sell him ,,he will blame spurs for all of his woes

However, we don't know for sure do we ?

Accusing the Poch, DL, Toby or even his agent for doing wrong when the only information we have is from a crappy journo, or website that are guessing or have deliberately made up a story...

Does anybody know 100% what he is earning, salary, bonuses etc etc ?

No, we don't.

Does anybody know 100% if his injury is going to return short, medium, long term ?

No, we don't.

In the meantime, we have important matches to play, none of which we can afford to lose.

The Poch has to plan for that, and Sanchez cannot be dropped now.

The reality here is simple to me. 

Having seen Toby play in FAC matches against lower level competition and in international matches for Belgium, his form is off. Contract issue or no contract issue, he has be playing in better form than Sanchez to get into the side for me and he really hasn't been.

Granted, it is something of a Catch 22 as to reach his best form he likely needs real match time but at the moment, in a fight to climb to 2nd on the table, the club really can't give out of form players much of a chance to play themselves into form.

I have resigned myself to losing Toby in the Summer and I can live with that! For me all we need to do now is focus on getting the best deal for us. I would suggest that be a deal involving Rashford or Marcial at Manure! Maybe both if Danny-Boy still wants a way!

i feel that Toby should be given a start at Brighton on Tuesday.  Maybe a back three reunion... we need to be stronger at the back next weekend against the other mancs than we were this last weekend aginst the other mancs......