Spurs Web
Neophyte

2018 Summer Transfer Window

Rumors are swirling and the window approaches. Poche and Levy have, for several seasons now, kept the powder dry until late in the window but rumblings from Poche in recent weeks sure sound like he is not satisfied with that approach. The World Cup adds yet another dimension to this summers transfer activity. Further complicating this window, the PL will close down transfer business before the season starts. Put everything about the 2018 Winter Transfer Window here! 

Out

Cameron Carter-Vickers - Swansea City (season long loan)

Josh Onomah - Sheffield Wednesday (loan)

Marcus Edwards - Excelsior Rotterdam (loan)

Conner Ogilvie - Gillingham FC (loan through end of 2018)

Should any official moves be made, they will be listed right here in the first post once they are confirmed by the club.

I think Martial will have to leave MU for sure. He is becoming a supersub like Chicharito was. The manager favors Lukaku and Sanchez. Lingard and Rashford provide more competition.

I would sell Lamela and sign Martial. Martial can change games with his scoring. Even with his energy and high work rate Lamela doesn't get many goals/assists. Poch was looking to sign Martial before MU throw more money at Monaco.

I think Lloris and Sissoko can convince Martial to join us during the WC.

I feel that Martial fell out of favour after some less than inspiring performances after showing real promise at the end of last season - for me a worrying sign. No doubt a very good player, but for me not yet proven to be a definite world class prospect. Is he that much better than Lamela? I'm not sure but you may well be right.

Additionally, apparently Martial wants more playing time. That means if he gets it with us, who will he replace? Also, will he he start complaining with us if he is rotated too often. We have a much greater depth to the squad and I feel he is unlikely to be guaranteed a start every game.

COYS

Martial is not a Poch type of player in my opinion. I can't see Lamela being let go, and I wouldn't want him to either. He is a totally committed player when he puts that shirt on. I would also expect him to be grateful to us for standing by him when he was injured. by the way, Martial looked quite a threat in The Finale, but failed to deliver.....

Other than being aggressive with tackles Lamela's game haven't changed one bit. We need a striker like Martial more than a midfielder like Lamela. Transfer fee keeps rising every season. What MU paid for Martial is not too overpriced now.

IMO MU had too many strikers. Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Sanchez are all goalscoring players. They all want others to provide the service to them. I see very little team work between them.

Son will miss games when he had to play for S Korea. After a couple ankle injuries we have do more to protect Kane. Llorente will move on this summer. Without those players we have no real strikers.

I think Janssen is still a good squad player to have. He is the type of players who never gives up. He will chase every ball down and challenge every header.

I was hoping to see the new Lamela! A rare couple of performances/glimpses but no more! He gets praised for his commitment, but I see that commitment as a liability. Either he gives away a foul in a dangerous area or he is one yellow card from reducing us to 10 men! I'd rather see Lucas get his chance., Get rid of Lamela 30mill in todays market. Do a deal with Manure involving Alderwield for Martial. Let them have Danny Boy too for 50mill and use that to bring in The Fulham lad, Seggeson? Thank Lorentte for? and let him go. And go on the hunt for a young potential striker to learn the Poch way!

DL just might balance the books with all this!

13 hours ago, Royce 71 said:

I was hoping to see the new Lamela! A rare couple of performances/glimpses but no more! He gets praised for his commitment, but I see that commitment as a liability. Either he gives away a foul in a dangerous area or he is one yellow card from reducing us to 10 men! I'd rather see Lucas get his chance., Get rid of Lamela 30mill in todays market. Do a deal with Manure involving Alderwield for Martial. Let them have Danny Boy too for 50mill and use that to bring in The Fulham lad, Seggeson? Thank Lorentte for? and let him go. And go on the hunt for a young potential striker to learn the Poch way!

I agree with your analysis. I can accept persevering with Dele as he had more than proved he can be a real asset. As you say, Lamela is yet to prove he is a top European club player _ effort and glimpses of potential are still, at this stage, not sufficient to get him regular starts. Should we persist with him?  A tough one. Sissoko has been given more than a good run but has not developed into a top player. I personally think Sissoko should go - as for Lamela? I'll leave that decision to Poch. I think, as far as THFC is concerned Danny has reached his sell by date. He has not quite got back to how he was and now seems a tad injury prone. Sell him while we can get a fair price for him. Regarding Martial, early on last season he looked terrific. This season perhaps not so consistent. Also, if he wants to be a regular first team choice, who do we drop for him. I think Son has earned his place and I would hate to see him go. Also, if Poch keeps Lamela and Lucas proves his worth, do we need him? I think Segesson is proving to be the real deal and I al s o there is a good chance he will join us.

COYS

16 hours ago, Royce 71 said:

He creates space for other players, and chances. Needs to improve his finishing. He has only just got back to match fitness following a very long absence.

3 hours ago, Tonto911 said:

He creates space for other players, and chances. Needs to improve his finishing. He has only just got back to match fitness following a very long absence.

I can run around and create space for others Tonto:) I can also dive into tackles and foul an opponent 8/10 times! I can also dither on the ball and slow the game down! I can also be caught in 2 minds pretty much everytime I get the ball and (first-half) kick a corner out of play before it reaches the box!!

Sorry Tonto but he is a poor player for me. I'd rather see someone like Ward-Prowes who is a far better player in that position.

COYS!

On 14/04/2018 at 8:42 PM, Royce 71 said:

I can run around and create space for others Tonto:) I can also dive into tackles and foul an opponent 8/10 times! I can also dither on the ball and slow the game down! I can also be caught in 2 minds pretty much everytime I get the ball and (first-half) kick a corner out of play before it reaches the box!!

Sorry Tonto but he is a poor player for me. I'd rather see someone like Ward-Prowes who is a far better player in that position.

COYS!

That's what forums are for....opinions.

You don't need to apologise to me for having a different point of view.

18 hours ago, Tonto911 said:

That's what forums are for....opinions.

You don't need to apologise to me for having a different point of view.

I know my friend! I have such a dislike for Lamela as a player. I have never seen him excel for 70+ minutes in a game. I really don't get him!

But as you rightly say its a game of opinions and I'd like nothing more than the boy to change mine of him!

COYS!

7 hours ago, Royce 71 said:

I know my friend! I have such a dislike for Lamela as a player. I have never seen him excel for 70+ minutes in a game. I really don't get him!

But as you rightly say its a game of opinions and I'd like nothing more than the boy to change mine of him!

COYS!

My pet hate is Dier. He cannot seem to concentrate for 90 minutes and I believe he is a mistake waiting to happen in every game. At least I feel more comfortable when he is playing in front of the central defenders. Why we play him over Wanyama is beyond me, but like you Royce, I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

Interesting replies. I tend to watch THFC and look at the positives, and unless I perceive that the mistakes are stupid and regular from an individual, just put it down to

"that's football", and everybody makes mistakes... I think that is a major reason for getting behind The Poch, and his philosophy from the start - even before I read his insightful book.

A player that regularly makes errors is often not fully fit and is playing because they are trusted to still give a better team contribution than an alternative, and/or are playing themselves back to full fitness.

I have seen enough positive things from both Lamela and Dier to believe that they are both worth a place in the team (when they are in form), even Sissoko seems to be improving, and he is clearly a popular guy in the squad,

Son is another one in the same category as Dier, but overall his positives outweigh his mistakes.

I am still very hopeful of more glory this season with this bunch of 'inconsistents'.........

5 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

My pet hate is Dier. He cannot seem to concentrate for 90 minutes and I believe he is a mistake waiting to happen in every game. At least I feel more comfortable when he is playing in front of the central defenders. Why we play him over Wanyama is beyond me, but like you Royce, I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

As Tonto rightly points out, our varying opinions of players, formation, Poch and his game management is why we all contribute to The Spurs Web! I love it!!:)

The managing of our young English players has been poor. All the bally who  about Poch's ability with youth somehow seems a bit confusing. We lost a star in Walker. Replaced him with an idiot.

We are due to lose Rose, and following our track record replace him with another dubious French youngster. The above two players aspirations should have been met. Then there is Walker Peters. I believe he would now be turning in better performances than Aurier.

Alderwereld? The same short sightedness. We are always getting undone with crosses and long balls.

Creativity. Another issue. If Ericson  is being controlled, there is no one  to back up.

These are issues our transfer guru's need to address.

We need to cash in a couple players and try to build a better team. Perhaps we should look at Burnley's CBs as a cheap replacement for Toby. Foyth got potential so we should continue to give him first team chances. 

We can replace Dembele with Norwich's James Maddison. 

Nkoudou and Clinton failed but we still need width. I think Nathan Redmond could be the right player. Overall Southampton is poor this season. His fee should be affordable.

Lamela, Sissoko, Toby, Rose, Clinton/Nkoudon (av we cashed in hear or are they on loan?) and Jannsen. There has to be over 100+mill hear and over  almost 350,000 a week in wages?

I'd be happy with Seggesson and Martial + one other in the back 4.

Tbh mr levy has gotta move early in the window,,,and that’s moving players on aswell as buying  !!!the way poch and a few players were talking after the semi final was worrying ,,,and this is why mr levy needs to secure a minimum of 4 very good players to keep poch and our better players,,,or we could see this all going tits up and poch and players all jumping ship sooner rather than later!!! Poch needs more weapons to succeed 

1 hour ago, Mr8ball said:

Tbh mr levy has gotta move early in the window,,,and that’s moving players on aswell as buying  !!!the way poch and a few players were talking after the semi final was worrying ,,,and this is why mr levy needs to secure a minimum of 4 very good players to keep poch and our better players,,,or we could see this all going tits up and poch and players all jumping ship sooner rather than later!!! Poch needs more weapons to succeed 

A lot has been said about players and Poch. I think calming down after Saturday's disappointment, I believe Levy has to give Poch more cash to work with if he does not want to undo all the hard work and momentum of the last 4 years. Players have bought in to Poch's philosophy but with the need for a step up in quality and keeping those wanted on board, money talks. Levy MUST spread some of the massive earnings back into the team, like any good businessman.

The summer transfer window looms but who chooses who comes in and who leaves. The following is taken from an article I have read but greatly reduced.

THFC has a 4 strong transfer committee who will be responsible for new signings and departures.

Daniel Levy Chief Negotiator.

Known as a tough operator which means Spurs sometimes miss out on targets but also means the club is never put at risk.

Steve Hitchens Chief Scout.

He will help in identifying potential targets for Spurs and his opinion is highly respected in the club.

John McDermott Head of Coaching and Player Development.

He is a firm friend of Mauricio Pochettinio and will say whether there is a better player ready to come through to the first team rather than bringing in someone from outside. He also gives his opinion on young players targeted to come to the club.

Mauricio Pochettino Spurs Manager.

Nobody is signed without his approval. Every signing must fit his philosophy and meet the high standards he demands. Before a deal is done he likes to hold face to face talks if possible.

COYS

5 hours ago, Tonto911 said:

Are you still on that wacky baccy ?

Yes....please can you send some....same as last time...lol

With Poch obviously sitting down to negotiate with DL about his and the clubs future and Poch and his staff coming away with very lucrative 5 year deals this only tells me we (Enic) are ready to bite the bullet and challenge regularly for the top honours!

Other than the "silly" wages the other top clubs seem to be  prepared to pay players, that lets be honest ain't twice as good as their wages would suggest, which just confirms for me that the club paying that amount of money are truly being shafted! Other than DL not being willing to be fucked over by a player and his agent it seems Enic with the Poch deal will relent and increase our current maximum wage fairly significantly! Enough to keep hold of our top lot! There is no doubt, in every other department we are not only able to compete but better equipped to! Ground, facilities, unity, squad harmony etc and of course the manager!

We can easily harvest over 150mill in sales this Summer and have the bargaining edge with one or 2 of the other top clubs with the players we have that they want!

Poch will have a £200mill+ war chest available to him and with that money I can see, Either Saha or Martial, maybe both, Sessgnon, De-gite and maybe Max Meyer.  Regardless of those names I think Poch can now go and get any "sensible" top class purchase he wants! Our Jannsen, NKoudon days are over my friends!!

COYS!

Edited by Royce 71
error