CL: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Juventus

Tottenham v Juventus  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's your result?

• Win
    • Lose
    • Draw

8 minutes ago, coleraine spurs said:

Just not good enough at this level. Dier was dire. Trippier was shocking.  Whoever said we had world class, hopefully watched that , and seen for themselves we are way off. Waste of fu--ing time. 

You and I did not watch the same match...At all.

I take great heart from this, even though I feel we should have won it. Juve had to get dirty, and should have been down to 10 long before the half, to get back into this.

On to the next.

I thought the entire team did well.
Bear in mind the vast CL experience that Juve have over us and have featured in 2 or the last 3 CL finals.
Yes, we should/could have progressed further, but it wasn't to be.

If you really want to start placing blame on players, then how about Dembele who was nowhere near his best.
How about Kane whose job is to score goals?
Nah, let's stick to pointing the finger at the easy targets.

None of our players were dire or shocking tonight.

Worked out socks off and five minutes of sleeping and we are punished.  I’m going to think about this one more before I comment more 

disappointed as hell but I do think laying blame is pointless 

Despite the massive disappointment that we all must be feeling, it's been a great journey.
Let us not forget that we had a draw and a win against the current holders who just so happened to have qualified for the quarter finals by beating none other than PSG 5-2 on aggregate.

Seriously, that is the level that we are now playing at and should not get too down on ourselves, because we have proven that we ARE heading in the right direction.

COYS

if you don't make it, you get it. If you lead you should be able to defend the result. We dominated the first half, what have just happened. Even Aurier fucked it up, okay, but Davies too, so Serge should have started, we would have needed his pace. If you want to defend and control a result, you need a strong and hard working man like Wanyama. Lamela should have come for Alli and switch positions with Eriksen. I still believe matches are fixed, especially when it comes to international cups. No matter UEFA or FIFA.

The ref was a joke. Tbh it must have been a penalty to Juve in first half, but we have gone away with that. But in the second half he was definitely blowing his whistle against us. He hasn't done anything, when Bazagli tread on Sons calf, he stood in the way and prevented a cross. He didn't see the two hand balls from Chiellini. Stopped the match when Dybala fell to the ground and simulated to play out of time. Interrupted the flow of playing many times and so on. I know these bastards and I told you the right result, as I know that City will concede a goal. This bloody football is becoming more and more a joke, because of the fucking money

Can’t believe we lost it. Five minutes of not being in control and punished. Agree with Spurfect re ref bloody awful, he kept giving silly fouls against us when 50/50! I just knew when we didn’t make our advantage pay in the first half by scoring another we could be in for a nervy second half. We looked tired near the end prob should have subbed earlier. Only consolation is I can’t see them winning it, dirty Italians. COYS X. :(

7 minutes ago, Spurfect said:

if you don't make it, you get it. If you lead you should be able to defend the result. We dominated the first half, what have just happened. Even Aurier fucked it up, okay, but Davies too, so Serge should have started, we would have needed his pace. If you want to defend and control a result, you need a strong and hard working man like Wanyama. Lamela should have come for Alli and switch positions with Eriksen. I still believe matches are fixed, especially when it comes to international cups. No matter UEFA or FIFA.

The ref was a joke. Tbh it must have been a penalty to Juve in first half, but we have gone away with that. But in the second half he was definitely blowing his whistle against us. He hasn't done anything, when Bazagli tread on Sons calf, he stood in the way and prevented a cross. He didn't see the two hand balls from Chiellini. Stopped the match when Dybala fell to the ground and simulated to play out of time. Interrupted the flow of playing many times and so on. I know these bastards and I told you the right result, as I know that City will concede a goal. This bloody football is becoming more and more a joke, because of the fucking money

6 minutes ago, Spurfect said:

Even Aurier fucked it up, okay, but Davies too, so Serge should have started, we would have needed his pace.

You do realize that Aurier was suspended for the game and not just simply dropped by Poch?

The ref couldn't have seen the Bazagli / Son incident, otherwise surely he would have been sent off.
I'm sure that we would all agree that we were fortunate with the penalty - it was definitely a pen and how the other official did not see it is beyond me.

I’m a bit numb. Can’t believe we’re out after so many good matches in the CL this year.

Perhaps we were a bit naive and I think Poch should have subbed players sooner in the second half.

We misfired upfront too, don’t recall Buffon making too many actual saves, everything seemed to be blocked by a body/leg/arm or went flying wide. 

Proud of the effort but absolutely gutted now. Drawing Juve really was rotten luck after being the best team out of everyone in the group stages. But we could/should have beaten them. FFS

One thing that Poch has to learn is to make changes sooner.
We [supposedly] have quality on the bench and whilst I agree with the changes that were made, he should have made them sooner and also brought Moura on.

Allegri made his first 2 changes around the 60 minute mark which made an immediate change to the game.
Even when down 2-1, Poch waited 6 minutes before making his first change and then waited another 12 minutes before the 2nd sub.

If you're easily winning a game, then bring fringe players on for a "run out" in the last 5-10 minutes, BUT when you're chasing the game, make the changes sooner.

Oh Spurfect, always the that match fixing!!

in general I have to say I'm surprised and pleased to read the positive responses on here. 

After watching a fantastic first half at home, albeit on my phone, I was feeling great and decided/wife said to watch second half in pub. 

I got there around the hour mark and it seemed to me that we'd gone a bit negative - not dissimilar to juve in the first leg. 

Then it went wrong. 

Once Kane's header and Lamela's follow up didn't go in that was that. I was too angry to go indoors after cycling home so spent an hour tidying the garage. Very sad but it seemed to help. 

The last time I remember leaving home at half time to watch a second half at pub was when we were 3-0 up at half time against citeh in the fa cup. It was about 15 years ago and we lost 4-3. 

I'm not doing that again. 

COYS 

19 minutes ago, SMD said:

Can’t believe we lost it. Five minutes of not being in control and punished. Agree with Spurfect re ref bloody awful, he kept giving silly fouls against us when 50/50! I just knew when we didn’t make our advantage pay in the first half by scoring another we could be in for a nervy second half. We looked tired near the end prob should have subbed earlier. Only consolation is I can’t see them winning it, dirty Italians. COYS X. :(

Sorry it wasn't a good night for you and your son.

I hope Juve do win it though as it's better to go out to the champions. Although I loathed Buffon's histrionics tonight I would like him to win the CL now we're out

Once they went ahead they absolutely knew they were going through to the quarters, they defended as a complete unit, knew when to fall over when needed, they are absolute masters of this situation.  We were not good tonight, yes we huffed and puffed but once juventus worked out our weakspots- bang. Goodnight Tottenham. Cannot understand why Dier is chosen ahead of wanyama, cannot understand why we leave our changes so late. Anyway, none of it matters one bit now. By the way it's brilliant to see the way buffon and his defense congratulated each other for their own brand of football coming out on top. They believe in football terms, not financial terms. Breath of fresh air. I'm still angry. Can we beat Bournemouth on Sunday, yes we should, will We, who knows. At the minute I honestly don't give a f--k. Night.

I may be wrong, but had Juve not conceded for sometime and then we got 2 back at their place.
Obviously tonight they needed a result and their initial set up allowef us so much space in midfield / final 3rd and that is how we got our goal...should have pushed the advantage more and got more goals.
Their 2 changes around 60 minutes completely changed their set up (more width) and they took advantage of that before parking the bus.

We struggle to break down "lesser" PL opponents when they park the bus, so we had very little chance of getting back into the game against a seasoned and experienced CL quality team.
As I've already said on this thread, Poch should make changes sooner, and even if that means sacrificing someone like Eriksen for Moura, then so be it.
The changes that he did make were too little, too late - hopefully Poch will learn from this.

Maybe Poch was thinking/hoping that we could force extra time and then bring on Moura when the ageing Juve players were tiring. 

I can always tell when we could have won because I feel just as disappointed this morning as I did last night.

I think we have to face facts and say the best team over 2 legs were the winners, although we did make some serious errors. We should have won the first leg but stopped attacking after we drew level in Turin. Last night, we were just not savvy enough. We had everything going for us but probably made changes too late. Also, our forwards are starting to get very selfish in front of goal and taking a shot when there are better options.

Finally, I thought the ref had a shocker. Juve were a very dirty side and the steaming on Son was a definite red card (and their penalty call was nailed on too!).

In the big scheme of things, we have to remember that we are still ahead of schedule. None of us expected too much in our away season, but we are set up well for our return to WHL. Our absolute priority now is not to win the FA Cup - it is to get CL football for the first season in the new stadium.

COYS

We were the better team in the first game. We were the better team in last nights game.

we have the best individual group of players and the best team in decades.

Once again we have failed to get to the finish line.

Of course we still have the FA Cup to get a trophy this year. It will be beyond disappointing if we don't win that this year.....but there are a lot of luck in opponents,Ref Decisions,Injuries and Managers Decisions before that is going to happen.

Another season without trophy's and only a 3rd place premiership may not be enough to keep our "Golden Generation" together. Wages at 350k a week and players eager to get a big team haircut and the prestige of playing for one of Europes Big teams could affect our squad in the Summer.

Another....crossroads for Spurs Top Team or back to 6-8th place?????

13 hours ago, Spurfect said:

You really are ridulous.

We lose, and its a fix....

We got beat because they scored more goals than us. That's football.

The Referee was poor - in both directions. That's football.

You obviously have NEVER played the game at any level.

Neve mind, just keep posting and give us all a laugh. (sic)

I'm over it.  This was not FC Basel, this was a perennial powerhouse in European football and we matched them.  

Listening to Chialinni after the march and he nailed it.."we new they would create more chances than us because they are fabulous attackers but we would get some from their mistakes as they always make defensive mistakes"  They got two and took them both..we outplayed, out chanced, outshot and took only one.  End of.

Live and learn.  BTW, I agree wholeheartedly about the Poch.  Too slow to react with changes.  The other worry I have is how he ALWAYS finds a spot for Dier.

For me Moura over Lamela in change 1, Lamela over Llorente change 2.  Both 5 minutes after their second. I would have brought Rose on at 75th as well.     

Thoughts...

Vertonghen was not on his game. His tackle on Costa was sloppy and he got damn lucky not to have given away a penalty. (frankly this play right here is proof to me the match wasn't fixed for Juve)

For those who can't figure out why Poch keeps picking Dier over Wanyama, I urge you to go back and watch Victor's last several appearances. With the exception of that amazing goal at Anfield he has been off the pace and unable to boss the midfield against even Rochdale consistentely. You would be picking Dier too if you were the one in charge and your job depended on getting a result.

Trippier had a great game. Davies less so but still not bad.

I don't even think the whole team switched off for the full 3 minutes it took for Juve to score twice. I think Verts took a mental break for the first one and Sanchez for the second, but I need to see both again to be sure.

Dembele had a great game when he had the ball. I had to laugh though as it was obvious that part of Juve's plan was to deny him the ball as much as possible. In fact, they spent a tremendous amount of energy just doing that and it really didn't help them at all.

Yes, I think we should have substituted earlier. I was pacing in my living room calling for Lamela or Moura to replace Dele as soon as he picked up that yellow. I was surprised when Llorente came on but his work flicking things on with head clearly unsettled the Juve defense and opened things back up for us a bit. Had he come on early who knows what might have happened. I also understood hanging on to that 3rd sub as I fully believed the equalizer was coming that would force extra time.

While I don't blame Lloris for Dybala's goal, I thought he could have done better had he come out sooner and closed down on him before he took his shot.

I don't think Chielini handled the ball either time.

I do think that both Barzgali and Pjanc should have been sent off. I would have liked to see Juve try to defend with 9 and leave with a victory.

We forced Buffon into more saves in our two matches then he had to make total in the whole of the group stage. That is some good work.

As Alonso said, this was not Basel. Or even Porto. This was Juventus, runner's up in 2 of the last 3 Champions League tournaments. Yes, I believe we should have gone through but I also know the Old Lady is a very tough out. The older I get the more I believe the old saying about old age and treachery beating youth and exuberance. I'm not sure we lost to better team but I know we lost to a more experiences team. Spurs will have gotten more out of our 8 CL games this season, against legit opponents, then Liverpool and United will out of their relative cake walks. And neither will win this tournament.

Now that we are out of CL we can focus on Top 3 and the FA Cup Trophy.

No shame in losing to Juventus. It hurts because we were so close to get through. Juventus doesn't have to quality to win CL. They can't stop us without committing fouls. With VAR they should get a PK in first half. And Barzgali should be sent off. He kicked Son and then stamp on Son 3 times. We didn't play badly but we just didn't do enough to get the result.

We played a high intensity game. We didn't get the 2nd goal. A slight lapse in concentration led to the goals. We should slow the tempo down a bit in the 2nd half.

Trippier didn't play poorly but no top teams will consider him as a starting RB. We got one of the best defenders in Sanchez to cover for him. A times Trippier was caught out of position.

Anyway I think we played some great matches in CL this season. Poch and the team still got a lot to learn. As I said before, we should aim for the top 4 finish and FA cup this season.