Neophyte

FAC: Swansea City v TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Swansea v Tottenham  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's your result?

• Win
    • Lose
    • Draw

It is not just we fans that crave for silverware, the players do too and probably more desperately than we. They know this is now their only chance, in fact are determined not to throw away the chance. Yes, against all expectations, the Swans have turned their season around but they are still just a team fighting to avoid relegation. 

It wouldn't surprise me if we are treated to another nerve jangling Spursey performance (they had me on the edge of my seat this afternoon until the 88h minute before running out comfortable winners). That said, I can only see the outcome as being a win for us.

COYS

4 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

we should win - we are good enough to win .... but we are Spurs!!

Swansea are still not safe in the league, so that will definitely help us with regard to their team selection. 

Not with the International Break to follow the match. They will play their best available XI.

Selection for me is sticky for this one. This is a PL side, albeit bottom of the table and missing their best goal scorer due to suspension. However, this is a chance for glory for a side bereft of much joy this season and on the front end of an International Break so facing no great need to rotate. Not sure we can afford to rotate as much as we have in previous FAC matches. Here is my XI.

Vorm

Trippier, Foyth, Vertonghen, Davies

Dier, Wanyama

Moura, Lamela, Son

Llorente

Subs - Gazzaniga, KWP, Sanchez, Dembele, Sissoko, Eriksen, Dele

Now having said this is how I would start, I doubt this is what Poche will do. I don't think Llorente gets in the side and I don't think Poche leaves Sissoko on the bench. Toby is back practicing with the first team again but after his last outing paired with Foyth I'm not sure Poche will start those together with Toby so rusty...not against a PL level club anyway, and if Toby isn't starting then I think he would be better off staying home to build conditioning. I'd also be prepared to bring on Eriksen, Dele and Dembele early if things aren't comfortable. Spurs don't need another replay here so it has to be put to bed at Swansea.

There will not be a replay.

The game has to be decided tomorrow.

If it's a draw after extra time it goes to penalties.

18 minutes ago, stanmac said:

There will not be a replay.

The game has to be decided tomorrow.

If it's a draw after extra time it goes to penalties.

Thanks stan! Didn't know that. I thought all rounds up the Semi-Finals did replays in case of Draw.

Dier and Davies didn't play last week so I expect them to be fit and ready. This is the only chance to win something this season. With Wanyama and Dier we can trap Swansea in their own half.

Lloris

Aurier   Sanchez Jan  Davies

Wanyama      Dier

Moura      Eriksen

Son       Dele

Offical XI and subs for today's FA Quarter Final at the Liberty

Vorm

Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen (c), Davies

Dier, Sissoko

Eriksen, Lamela, Moura

Son

Subs - Lloris, Aurier, Alderweireld, Foyth, Dembele, Dele, Llorente

I hope I’m wrong but I do not see much creativity in the middle with Dier and Sissoko!

Does Swansea ever have nice weather!

I have gone for a win but cannot think by what score, just hoping.

COYS

3 hours ago, SMD said:

I hope I’m wrong but I do not see much creativity in the middle with Dier and Sissoko!

Does Swansea ever have nice weather!

I have gone for a win but cannot think by what score, just hoping.

COYS

This is Swansea's Summertime.....Lol

An excellent result considering the line up. To me it showed not only the depth of the squad, but also versatility showing the players can adapt to different team selections and still play attractive attacking football. It shows that those hovering on becoming 1st team regulars can step up to the mark when called upon.

If we are to believe we really are a genuine top 4 team, then we have to do as we did today against bottom half clubs - win without breaking sweat despite not fielding some of our best players. 

Todays performance was greatly reassuring for me saying that this current squad is maturing and we have a solid basis for next season. A couple of good signings and a genuine tilt for the title is a genuine hope rather than a pipe dream.

Coys

Swansea just want to get through the game and focus on PL survival. I'm happy with everyone's performance except Trippier. His wage should go to Sanchez because Sanchez did all of the defensive work for him.

On 16 March 2018 at 5:01 PM, Neophyte said:

Thanks stan! Didn't know that. I thought all rounds up the Semi-Finals did replays in case of Draw.

So did the commentators on BT sport who were apparently banging on about replays lol 

On 17 March 2018 at 7:24 PM, Jamesinashby said:

An excellent result considering the line up. To me it showed not only the depth of the squad, but also versatility showing the players can adapt to different team selections and still play attractive attacking football. It shows that those hovering on becoming 1st team regulars can step up to the mark when called upon.

If we are to believe we really are a genuine top 4 team, then we have to do as we did today against bottom half clubs - win without breaking sweat despite not fielding some of our best players. 

Todays performance was greatly reassuring for me saying that this current squad is maturing and we have a solid basis for next season. A couple of good signings and a genuine tilt for the title is a genuine hope rather than a pipe dream.

Coys

Mind you one Swansea fan on Twitter said after the match "I turned up. It'd have been nice if my team had done so too" .....

Sounded solid on 5 live. Eriksen mentally was on it which makes a big difference. I always think when we play Son we do less of playing it through the middle statically (which does my head in). TBH don't think Harry was at his best last few games anyway so hope the enforced rest does him good. Not looking forward to Man "park the bus" united in the next round lol