Neophyte

PL: Chelsea v TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Chelsea v Tottenham  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's your result?

• Win
    • Lose
    • Draw

This is the cruncher. Lose this or even draw  makes 3rd place available only if Liverpool implode which is unlikely. It also slightly opens the door for Chelsea if they get back to winning ways and we stumble to allow them taking 4th. Not that I am saying this will happen, I am just aware of possibilities if we lose. (We are running out of games to make amends). Having said all that, although it will be far from easy, the last two games have, for me, proved we have the ability to beat anyone on our day. So I am going for us to get the win. After all, they will be under more pressure than we as a loss for them condemns them to 5th.

Another thought. If City and Woolwich win the two European cups, will the team that comes 4th still be in the EC or drop down to the lower cup?

COYS

We must win to go 8 points clear and cement our top four spot !!! I think if arsenal win the Europa cup 4th they would get the champs league spot ,,, I think lol,,,I hope that doesn’t happen 

I fear we will end up fifth given our remaining schedule. Chelsea seem happy that Ross Barkley will be back from injury for their match against us, I think that is good news for us.

On 3/19/2018 at 4:11 AM, Mr8ball said:

We must win to go 8 points clear and cement our top four spot !!! I think if arsenal win the Europa cup 4th they would get the champs league spot ,,, I think lol,,,I hope that doesn’t happen 

If Arsenal win the Europa League then the EPL will have 5 sides in Champions League just like it did this year with the Top 4 and Man U w/ their Europa League title.

The only worry for Spurs was if a side outside the Top 4 won the CL and Arsenal won the Europa. Those fears have mostly been put to bed with Chelsea losing to Barca and going out of the CL.

Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. I'd take a draw right now! Our run in then will only see us having to face City at Wembley and there is every chance they will be crowned champions by then by winning the title at Old Trafford. Nice! I believe we are capable of only dropping 4 points on our run in and that should be enough for a top 3 place. I'll be supporting Liverpool in The CL for obvious reasons. Lets keep the Bin-men occupied and concentrated on The CL. 

Harry will still be side-lined but we have shown (last season) already we can cope without him but Chelski are our boggie team for me. Not matter the form either side are in when we meet these mongrels always seem to find a way to turn us over. 

We will meet them in The Final of The FA Cup as well. So I'll take a draw on Sunday and a win in May!

COYS!

We are due to win there. I remember, year after year, going to Anfield back in the day, and then Garth Crooks got the winner, ended the bogey,  and we have won several times since then up there....

Forgive me! I have No time for Cheski! I have No time For Manure! But personally I have all the time in the world for Ray Wilkins. For me a throw-back to days gone by. A true gentleman of the game and life. Just heard he has been placed in an induced coma after suffering a heart attack.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

7 hours ago, Royce 71 said:

Forgive me! I have No time for Cheski! I have No time For Manure! But personally I have all the time in the world for Ray Wilkins. For me a throw-back to days gone by. A true gentleman of the game and life. Just heard he has been placed in an induced coma after suffering a heart attack.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

Totally agree Roycey. There are ex players that deserve life reputations. Ray Wilkins is one of them. ....and not a bad player either!

From THFC.com

"... Every year when we go to Stamford Bridge, thoughts turn to our unwanted record of having failed to win there since 1990. However, Mauricio says that doesn’t affect his or the players’ mentality.

“Only when the moment arrives the media reminds me about that, but it’s not in our minds,” he said. “It’s a game that we are going to try to win, thinking we can do well and perform in the way that we want, but not thinking about the record. It’s not going to help us.

“The team is okay, is in good form. Of course, Chelsea is a great team with a lot of good players, it will be a competitive game but we are going with the idea to win.”

I feel the same, winning this game will be especially sweet, but all of our remaining games are just as important.

I do think that we will have too much for them to deal with on the break.

10 hours ago, Asc3 said:

Totally agree Roycey. There are ex players that deserve life reputations. Ray Wilkins is one of them. ....and not a bad player either!

I wish Wilkins a speedy recovery, but never really rated him as a player, and especially as he was often picked over Glenn Hoddle at his peak. A rather bland pundit and very chav biased in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Tonto911 said:

I wish Wilkins a speedy recovery, but never really rated him as a player, and especially as he was often picked over Glenn Hoddle at his peak. A rather bland pundit and very chav biased in my opinion.

If as you say he "was picked over Glenn" he must have been pretty good in his day. I am not suggesting he was world class but have the opinion he was above average and respected as a player both at Club and England level.

i think after his playing days his reputation was an up and down affair...My overall opinion based on his lifetime in football...he was an above average player, a nice man with a generally good reputation. Playing for our rivals will not lesson my high opinion of a class player. Like you I wish him well.!!

My team the match:

Lloris

Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies

Dier, Dembele

Lamela, Eriksen, Dele

Son

Subs - Vorm, Aurier, Alderweireld, Rose, Wanyama, Moura, Kane

11 hours ago, Neophyte said:

My team the match:

Lloris

Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies

Dier, Dembele

Lamela, Eriksen, Dele

Son

Subs - Vorm, Aurier, Alderweireld, Rose, Wanyama, Moura, Kane

Spot on there Neophyte, except for Toby not even making the bench.

Yet another complete performance enforcing the increasingly possible chance of finishing 2nd. Though not a certainty, it is well within a plausible possibility. Through all the doubts and uncertainties that some of our earlier performances raised with below expectation in some of our earlier games, the last few games (especially yesterdays) have proved to the rest of the EPL teams and pundits that THFC are now the real deal. If we beat City, and that is possibility, or even if we only draw, we can undeniably claim to now be, not just a genuine top 4 EPL club, but as good as any of them. 

For me, Poch has proved he as good as any of the other top coaches in Europe. Take Davis and Trippier. The stick they were given at the start of the season in some posts on here claiming they were well short of being good enough was rampant. They are doing a magnificent job. Dele, Son and Eriksen have all come under fire at one time or another but, despite this, have all played their part to prove we are not a one man team dependant solely on Harry by coming up with goals. When it was muted that without Toby and Wanyama, our defence would crumble, Poch found the players and systems to get around their absence. He stuck with Lamela despite the many doubts expressed on here and that is more than showing signs of paying off. Sissoko mzy not have set the world alight, but he has shown he can be more than useful in Poch's plans.The whole squad is improving and there is not really anyone in it that is not capable of playing his part. Without any preening Prima Donnas, we are now a top balanced all round team more than capable of competing with the best. More importantly put together at a fraction of the price and on sensible wages.

I hold my hands up. I was as bad as any who post on here in not having faith. But the performances of the team in 2018, despite injuries to allegedly key players, has now turned me into a believer. I was wrong and Poch and everyone who has pulled the Spurs shirt on this season have earned the credit the footballing world is now giving them.

COYS

Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.  I didn't relax until the whistle went up 3-1.  In fact I still didn't relax.  I just kept expecting something to go wrong.  But it didn't and we got what we deserved.  The lads were fantastic and showed what Spurs are about now.  Character, passion, skill and belief.  Even the mess Hugo made gifting them the early lead did not stop us and it certainly would have in days gone by.

As I said I thought they all played well but special mentions to Davinson at the back as I thought he was immense yesterday.  Eriksen for that goal that surely changed the game. Lamela for a fierce and spirited effort.  But for me it was Dele that once again proved he is a big game player.  The run, the first touch and the finish on his first goal was sublime and for all the stick he has been taking I am so very happy for him.  Then he sticks in the second when Son did his very best to muck it up.  Huge moment in a massive win.

COYS 

Overv the season, Dier has also taken a lot of stick, withour deserving it . Yes, of course he has made mistakes. they all have, and he has come through it. Hopefully, come june,  Dier Dele and Kane will prove how good they are to all these non THFC fans who support England.

I agree.  Dier was very good yesterday.  I tend to think the mistakes are a function of him being tired.  MP finds a way to put him in every game it seems but lately he has been rested a little and I think this has been the reason his mistakes have gone missing.  I love the way he tackles, its poetry in motion...

14 minutes ago, Alonso said:

I agree.  Dier was very good yesterday.  I tend to think the mistakes are a function of him being tired.  MP finds a way to put him in every game it seems but lately he has been rested a little and I think this has been the reason his mistakes have gone missing.  I love the way he tackles, its poetry in motion...

His tackling and that sublime through ball to Dele for the go ahead. That was massive and reminded me so much of Toby's long range, pinpoint passing out of the back. We will need more of that from Dier if Toby is indeed to leave in the summer.