Spurs Web
Royce 71

What for you will constitute a succesful 18/19 season!

What a first half to this season! 2 points off 2nd, 6 of the top spot and playing (last 6-8 weeks) with real intent and flair.

In answer to the title of this topic. Top 3 and Enic doing EVERYTHING to Keep Poch happy and at The Lane for the next decade!

45 minutes ago, Royce 71 said:

What a first half to this season! 2 points off 2nd, 6 of the top spot and playing (last 6-8 weeks) with real intent and flair.

In answer to the title of this topic. Top 3 and Enic doing EVERYTHING to Keep Poch happy and at The Lane for the next decade!

Yeah, watching the pre-match show on NBC here in the states yesterday I was a bit sick to my stomach listening to their top PL insider talk about the possibility of Poch going to Man U. He laid out a compelling argument for the move and when pressed for what if he thought Poch would make the move, he hesitated a long time, then finally said "I think so". This is not a fellow I consider a hack just looking for a headline either.

So with that in find I think my current success criteria have to include doing what is necessary to keep Poch happy. The reality is that Spurs have him under contract for the next 4 and a half years and Levy is completely capable of just denying the move. He has the leverage here right now. However, there is a difference between just keeping Poch here and having a happy Poch. As much as I hate to say it, it might be time for Levy to call Lewis and discuss getting a bit of coin to buy a player or two. Granted, I don't know the truth of anything happening at Enfield so maybe Levy and Poch have already talked and this is a total non-issue already. I'd like to think so.

I don't worry about it too much. MU is not an easy job to do. They keep a lot of deadwoods.

If Poch wants to go, he will have to agree not to raid our club for players (except the ones we wanted to sell).

8 hours ago, Neophyte said:

Yeah, watching the pre-match show on NBC here in the states yesterday I was a bit sick to my stomach listening to their top PL insider talk about the possibility of Poch going to Man U. He laid out a compelling argument for the move and when pressed for what if he thought Poch would make the move, he hesitated a long time, then finally said "I think so". This is not a fellow I consider a hack just looking for a headline either.

So with that in find I think my current success criteria have to include doing what is necessary to keep Poch happy. The reality is that Spurs have him under contract for the next 4 and a half years and Levy is completely capable of just denying the move. He has the leverage here right now. However, there is a difference between just keeping Poch here and having a happy Poch. As much as I hate to say it, it might be time for Levy to call Lewis and discuss getting a bit of coin to buy a player or two. Granted, I don't know the truth of anything happening at Enfield so maybe Levy and Poch have already talked and this is a total non-issue already. I'd like to think so.

I of course want to believe that the job Poch and his staff have done these past 4+ years and the praise and respect they have received, not only from those connected with the club but the vast majority of the outside (THFC) world and our "potential" to continue just might see Poch stay!

However I am a realist and Manchester United are one of the top 2-3 clubs in the world with virtually unlimited finances. Poch naturally has an ego. You cannot achieve what he has without one. No one at the very top end of their profession can!

So what might fulfil that ego best? Remaining at The Lane and potentially becoming a regular CL qualifying club and a domestic trophy every 3 years or so or having the resources and free reign to build and return a world beating football club to its former glory?

As you say Neophyte, its decision time from Enic's standing. Back Poch or sell to someone who will, or risk losing him and seeing a massive top player exodus and the potential great dynasty that Poch could create at The Lane! If Poch went the only people I would have resentment towards would be Enic!

Its over to you Daniel and Joe!!

5 minutes ago, Royce 71 said:

I of course want to believe that the job Poch and his staff have done these past 4+ years and the praise and respect they have received, not only from those connected with the club but the vast majority of the outside (THFC) world and our "potential" to continue just might see Poch stay!

However I am a realist and Manchester United are one of the top 2-3 clubs in the world with virtually unlimited finances. Poch naturally has an ego. You cannot achieve what he has without one. No one at the very top end of their profession can!

So what might fulfil that ego best? Remaining at The Lane and potentially becoming a regular CL qualifying club and a domestic trophy every 3 years or so or having the resources and free reign to build and return a world beating football club to its former glory?

As you say Neophyte, its decision time from Enic's standing. Back Poch or sell to someone who will, or risk losing him and seeing a massive top player exodus and the potential great dynasty that Poch could create at The Lane! If Poch went the only people I would have resentment towards would be Enic!

Its over to you Daniel and Joe!!

Roycey,

You and I tend to the pessimistic desperate for signs of belief from the owners. Whilst I give praise to Poch for his gradual improvement over recent years I do believe there is an element of luck/timing and golden generation specifically with Harry,Dele and Christian.

There have been some good signings since then but a lot of duff ones as well. The next ones , whenever they are???, will be important.

Roycey and Asc. 

I love reading your contributions to this forum. I don't usually agree with you (as Asc says, you are a pair of pessimists) but it's important that all views are represented here.

I'm too young to remember the double, although I was a 'proper' Spurs fan before the '67 cup final. The mid/late 80's were great (we should have won the league with that side) but I truly believe now is the best time ever to be a Spurs fan. The stadium, the manager, the team, the philosophy - it's coming together brilliantly. The way we played against Chelsea, the Arse and most recently Everton was about as good as it could have been. 

I reckon a lot of fans of other sides are envious of us right now.

Loyalty means a lot to The Poch...

Remember how he reacted when walker upset him, and he got rid.

I can’t believe that The Poch is a hypocrite.

Que sera, but I am not worried.

He’ll stay.

17 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

Roycey and Asc. 

I love reading your contributions to this forum. I don't usually agree with you (as Asc says, you are a pair of pessimists) but it's important that all views are represented here.

I'm too young to remember the double, although I was a 'proper' Spurs fan before the '67 cup final. The mid/late 80's were great (we should have won the league with that side) but I truly believe now is the best time ever to be a Spurs fan. The stadium, the manager, the team, the philosophy - it's coming together brilliantly. The way we played against Chelsea, the Arse and most recently Everton was about as good as it could have been. 

I reckon a lot of fans of other sides are envious of us right now.

I would like to think that my pessimism is more anxiety, better still desire to see our club fulfil its potential. Its just a case of what as individuals how we define potential!

Me! I believe we have one of the best young managers in the world. What he has done these past 4-5 years, on a relative budget, the reputation he is gaining, the relationship and unity he has forged with the vast majority of his players, his style of football and philosophy. All have been nothing short of miraculous imo. So the simple question my simple brain asked is why would you (Enic) not back this man and continue to build on the foundations he has laid?

I accept we have commitments to fund off the playing field, but I am not talking City money, although I would now be pro that kind of investment,  I am talking the continued improved contracts for the old and new players and an investment (after deadwood departures) of 120-150m (part Jan, part Summer) and if Enic are unwilling or unable to placate that then sincerely, thank you very much Mr Lewis/Levy for a wonderful tender but nothing last forever and it seems Poch's THFC has out-grown you so hand it over (1 billion?) to someone who can and is willing to take our beloved club to the next level!

If that sounds harsh, ungrateful then all I would say is like it or not but that's modern day football and I wont like it if we see Poch pack his bags for Manchester next Summer!

There has never been a better time to challenge the footballing dynasty's than in the now position we find ourselves in and that's why I am anxious we are going to let that chance slip away from us due to worrying about balancing the books every single season!

44 minutes ago, sissoko(fan) said:

A successful  season for me would be a quarter finals finish in the Champions League and possible 2nd place finish in the Premier League.

That would be great, although I am nervous about getting past Dortmund.

I reckon top 4 would be enough, given the disruption we have had this season.

3 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

Third or fourth is not an issue for me, apart from the seedings in the CL. 2nd would be amazing, but we still have to go away to Chelsea, City and Liverpool, so nothing is certain.

Other than first place, domestic finish doesn't figure into CL seedings. That is done by European co-efficient figured over the last five years, meaning Spurs need to go as deep as possible in the CL to raise that, although I figure they must have already raised it just by making the Round of 16 for the second year in a row.

After a bit of research, Spurs sit 19th on the seeding chart as of the conclusion of the Group Stage in December. We are hurt by early exists in the Europa knock-out rounds in 14/15 and 15/16, then by the crash out of CL in the group stage followed by the crash out of EL in 17/18. Those results have us below Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal in the rankings. For now.

10 hours ago, sissoko(fan) said:

If we can reach the semi finals of the Champions League and secure at least 3rd  spot in the League.

This would be nice, but based on Neophyte's research, I'd be happy with 4th and as far as possible in the CL. It will all depend on the draw, but it would be good to go further than the other English teams

Well on our day we play a brand of football that will beat the best in the world and a lot of teams both in the League and Champions Leagueare wary of us so my bench mark is semi-finals we cau go to Dortmund and get to the next round and I still think 2nd or 3rd is a given.

5 hours ago, sissoko(fan) said:

Well on our day we play a brand of football that will beat the best in the world and a lot of teams both in the League and Champions Leagueare wary of us so my bench mark is semi-finals we cau go to Dortmund and get to the next round and I still think 2nd or 3rd is a given.

Good to see a new 'positive thinking' poster on here.

Where are you based ? UK ?

3 hours ago, Tonto911 said:

Good to see a new 'positive thinking' poster on here.

Where are you based ? UK ?

Positive Thinker.........gotta be Welsh,

Well on our day we play a brand of football that will beat the best in the world and a lot of teams both in the League and Champions Leagueare wary of us so my bench mark is semi-fi

11 hours ago, stanmac said:

Positive Thinker.........gotta be Welsh,

nals we cau go to Dortmund and get to the next round and I still think 2nd or 3rd is a given.

No Bro not Welsh but all the way from the Caribbean Island of Trinidad and Tobago and have been a spurs fan since in the days of Chris Waddle, Glen Hoddle, Garth Crooks, Ray Clements,Ardilles Villa, Houton  so my love for Spurs go way way back but I love my Spurs family and I am glad to be on board.

I am looking at the way we have played in the absence of Delre Alli, Harry Kane, and periods of Dembele, Wyanyama, Eric Dier, Harry Winks, Erikson etc I am concerned about the 3 crucial away games to Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool but on our day, we can get good results from these games Poch seems to get the best from the team even when it was weakened remember we beat Arsenal in the Caraboa Cup at the Emerates 2-0 with a second string team ? so I have confidence we can finish at least 3rd in the League and at best reach the semi- finals of the Champions League.

I am a Sissoko fan not because he is a world beater, but because he represent the spirit of the Cockrel he fights to the bitter end, he never complained about the lack of play time even when he came on with 5 mins left in the game. with his price tag, he came over from thr toons with a lot of expectations and initially he was playing as though he had an anvil on his back but I think he had a boss game against I think it was Chelsea last season and the shackles seem to have fallen off of his feet and he is a midfield beast  I love his hussle and he seem now yo be able to pick a pass look at the breakaway goal from Son against Lester City it was a Sissoko lob over thr midfield which set Son on his way and we must credit the gaffer for persisting with him.

I thought Sissoko was rubbish and would have been pleased to see him shipped out last summer .... but how wrong was I?

He has been a revelation and is now one of our most consistent players. The change has been so great I reckon he's been swapped for his twin brother

5 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

I thought Sissoko was rubbish and would have been pleased to see him shipped out last summer .... but how wrong was I?

He has been a revelation and is now one of our most consistent players. The change has been so great I reckon he's been swapped for his twin brother

I also remember...ahem... Son was not a favourite  of yours...... however, so many have improved over the time that The Poch has been with us, but there have also been those who have stood still and/or gone backwards. Vincent Janssen just looked unlucky at first, and Big L had me shaking my head, but now.....

The ony concern that I do have is with Trippier, (his concentration) and I actually prefer Serge 'forward' Aurier at the moment.....

As I always say, it's a team game ! Overall, we do have an excellent squad.