Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Royce 71

Can Eriksen Really Stay Without Signing a New Deal?

The Christian Eriksen saga gos on! The options.....

He transfers abroad (130 mill is ridiculous) for 60-70mill! The supposed price tag set by DL of 130 mill is unrealistic for a player with one year left on his contract and as a result, can then in principle begin to talk to other clubs in January 2020 I believe? So realistically we should be looking at half of that?

He transfers to another PL club! In this scenario I could see us getting another 10 (70-80) mill from the deal. I for one would not be concerned at the possibility of strengthening another PL side, as long as we reinvested that fee in the likes of a La Celso!

He stays and signs a new 2-3 year contract! His comment that he might looking for a new challenge, if it was a step-up from Spurs has left a bad taste in my mouth. However, if this is the outcome then I for one would applaud him and get behind him and forgive him for being just like 98% (no survey completed!!) of all EPL players, driven by money!

He stays and runs down his current contract! Not a chance! I have put this in as an option, but is it really!! Firstly DL would not allow under any circumstances a potential 60-80million£ player to just walk away from The Lane and surly a large percentage of the fans would turn against him and then in theory his performances would suffer and the whole situation would affect the dressing room?

Four weeks remain before we find out exactly which scenario we will see, or is there another potential scenario (even fantasy comical ones) I have not thought of? Your thoughts on this and the above please!

COYS!

He absolutely could run down his contract. Levy can't force sell him somewhere he doesn't want to go.

To me, it is the worst case scenario and I have a hard time fathoming it actually happening, but then I look at cases like Ramsey leaving Arsenal and Rabiot leaving PSG, and I can picture it. Both of those lads wanted out, refused to sign new deals, and their clubs couldn't find a taker.

I'd also say that I don't think the single year on his contract makes a difference to the price. Hazard only had a year left on his and Madrid paid a premium for him anyway.

Now, I absolutely believe that Levy would take less than he has valued Eriksen at (I believe the initial price point is just for negotiation purposes) but the real question here is whether or not a "bigger" club wants him? He had called out Madrid, so we know he is interested in them. To my knowledge, it is the only club he has ever mentioned. I would think Barca is also possible but players can be funny about it and he had a try out there where he didn't fit before coming to Spurs. Perhaps Juve? Maybe Bayern?

Yes, I left out other PL clubs. My sense is that there isn't much there on the part of Eriksen and if he were to stay in the PL it would be with Spurs.

I think we are stuck in a waiting game until such time as Pogba is settled.

Personally I would tout him (via his agent) around to see if there were any suitors for the reduced price of 60mill and replace him with a 60mill target, rather than have him stay another season on 75-80k, pulling out of even more tackles than he normally does in a season and occasionally putting in a shift when he fancies it!

I get the Ramsey/Rabiot examples, but I do believe the remaining length of a contract does make a big difference, for players like Eriksen, cause he ain't no Hazard!

No, he isn't Hazard but then we don't need him to be Hazard either. Put that way, Hazard is no Eriksen. Consider the following:

He has more goals from OUTSIDE the box than any other player in the PL over the last 5 years.

He has created more opportunities than any other player in the PL over the last 5 years.

He has more assists than any other player in the PL over the last 5 years.

He puts in more km per match than any other Spurs player.

No, he isn't Hazard. We have Son, Moura, and Lamela to emulate Hazard. There is only one Eriksen.

Not to say I wouldn't sell him if it came to that, I would. I have faith we can replace him and do just as well. I just wonder how much better he might be with Ndombele in the XI with him, a player who is significantly more dynamic in the final 3rd than any other central mid we have had here in Poch's time. I also wonder how much better he might be with a Lo Celso to push him for his place in the starting XI, come in for him late in games so he is fresher later in the season, and team up with him periodically to form a dual #10 partnership like City has in Silva and De Bruyne.

4 hours ago, Neophyte said:

No, he isn't Hazard but then we don't need him to be Hazard either. Put that way, Hazard is no Eriksen. Consider the following:

He has more goals from OUTSIDE the box than any other player in the PL over the last 5 years.

He has created more opportunities than any other player in the PL over the last 5 years.

No, he isn't Hazard. We have Son, Moura, and Lamela to emulate Hazard. There is only one Eriksen.

Not to say I wouldn't sell him if it came to that, I would. I have faith we can replace him and do just as well. I just wonder how much better he might be with Ndombele in the XI with him, a player who is significantly more dynamic in the final 3rd than any other central mid we have had here in Poch's time. I also wonder how much better he might be with a Lo Celso to push him for his place in the starting XI, come in for him late in games so he is fresher later in the season, and team up with him periodically to form a dual #10 partnership like City has in Silva and De Bruyne.

That's all very well and 100% correct Neophyte, but I was doing what you did in your previous post comparing Eriksen to Hazard in transfer terms, not as a like for like player! That's why we won't get 130 mill (as you agreed) like Chelsea did for Hazard and the top, top clubs are not knocking down DL's door to sign Eriksen!

4 hours ago, Neophyte said:

I think the points you make regards having Ndombele sitting and the potentially dual 10 role with Lo Celso are spot on but would you like to see it at the cost of Eriksen walking away on a free next season?

I also believe if Man Utd who we know do not have CL football next year offered Eriksen a 4 year contract of 250-300k, and of course were willing to pay Spurs upwards of 70m, he would sign and his "desire" for a new challenge would go out of the window! I base this on the fact, he is a greedy PL footballer, just like the vast majority of PL footballers! Not having a go at him, just being realistic!

Why else would he want away from The Lane at this stage of our development. It's all about the money and fair enough!

13 hours ago, Neophyte said:

Excellent research N...

I didn't realise he was such a major feature of the stats.

However, I did feel that a lot of the crticism thrown his way was unjustified...

He made one statement, and far too many rubbish press/sky/etc rumours have followed and he is now persona non gratis in the eyes of many 'fans', who either didn't see for themselves

how valuable he was to the team in our epic season just gone, or also hadn't seen the stats. They just see him as greedy etc.

We ultimately failed last season because the squad wasn't quite strong enough, and many regulars were knackered from the World Cup, and lack of a proper break.

Some also looked to me like they were carrying injuries, but The Poch had to play them anyway, which is probably why he got so emotional after that epic performance at Ajax..

I personally hope that we do recruit Lo Celso and keep The Dane, and not worry about a back up for The Kane, but utilise the versatility of Sonny and Lucas and Dele . They can all score

goals... Maybe young Troy Parrott will get a chance pre season, and if he is good enough (like Dele was) he will get and take the chance(s) when presented....

I still have this positive feeling that we are in for a major season ahead.  Glory and trophies. COYS

It's simple! Why would Eriksen make any (negative) statement at all if he didn't want away? Especially at this stage of the clubs progression. No one in the Eriksen "camp" seems to be able to answer that!!

1 hour ago, Tonto911 said:

Excellent research N...

I didn't realise he was such a major feature of the stats.

However, I did feel that a lot of the crticism thrown his way was unjustified...

He made one statement, and far too many rubbish press/sky/etc rumours have followed and he is now persona non gratis in the eyes of many 'fans', who either didn't see for themselves

how valuable he was to the team in our epic season just gone, or also hadn't seen the stats. They just see him as greedy etc.

We ultimately failed last season because the squad wasn't quite strong enough, and many regulars were knackered from the World Cup, and lack of a proper break.

Some also looked to me like they were carrying injuries, but The Poch had to play them anyway, which is probably why he got so emotional after that epic performance at Ajax..

I personally hope that we do recruit Lo Celso and keep The Dane, and not worry about a back up for The Kane, but utilise the versatility of Sonny and Lucas and Dele . They can all score

goals... Maybe young Troy Parrott will get a chance pre season, and if he is good enough (like Dele was) he will get and take the chance(s) when presented....

I still have this positive feeling that we are in for a major season ahead.  Glory and trophies. COYS

Agree! I am very optimistic 19/20 will see us, once again finish in the top 2/3 after pushing City all the way to the wire. Plus some silverware!

COYS!

2 hours ago, Royce 71 said:

It's simple! Why would Eriksen make any (negative) statement at all if he didn't want away? Especially at this stage of the clubs progression. No one in the Eriksen "camp" seems to be able to answer that!!

Perhaps I am just not a enough of a supporter to understand but I didn't read his statement, made while on international duty with Denmark, as negative toward Tottenham. Is it that he used the words "bigger club" when referring to a new challenge? Should I, as a supporter, be offended by that? And I mean that question with all seriousness, no offense or sarcasm intended. Maybe as an American who didn't grow up with a strong soccer culture, where there is a financial hierarchy with the clubs that is hard to change, I just don't know enough to know when a statement is true but still negative. I mean, obviously Madrid, Barca, and Man U are "bigger clubs". They have more supporters world wide, they generate more revenue, command higher sponsorship deals, and pay bigger wages. They have been glamour clubs for decades now. The place players grow up dreaming of plying their trade.

I wasn't offended when Bale wanted to go. I was disappointed, but not offended. I feel the same about Eriksen.

My mentality is such that once financially comfortable I think I would chose to stay at a place like Tottenham, if I had that chance. I think I would want to build the next great thing rather go to yesterday's great thing to keep it going. I find more pleasure and reward in creating something than in stepping into something already put together. But again, that might be because of my American upbringing and lack of connection to the greater world soccer culture where going to a Madrid or a Barca is viewed as recognition that you now one of the top players in the world.

I can see how wearing the Madrid kit might be considered a huge statement for a European player like Eriksen, but is that negative toward Spurs?

2 hours ago, Neophyte said:

Perhaps I am just not a enough of a supporter to understand but I didn't read his statement, made while on international duty with Denmark, as negative toward Tottenham. Is it that he used the words "bigger club" when referring to a new challenge? Should I, as a supporter, be offended by that? And I mean that question with all seriousness, no offense or sarcasm intended. Maybe as an American who didn't grow up with a strong soccer culture, where there is a financial hierarchy with the clubs that is hard to change, I just don't know enough to know when a statement is true but still negative. I mean, obviously Madrid, Barca, and Man U are "bigger clubs". They have more supporters world wide, they generate more revenue, command higher sponsorship deals, and pay bigger wages. They have been glamour clubs for decades now. The place players grow up dreaming of plying their trade.

I wasn't offended when Bale wanted to go. I was disappointed, but not offended. I feel the same about Eriksen.

My mentality is such that once financially comfortable I think I would chose to stay at a place like Tottenham, if I had that chance. I think I would want to build the next great thing rather go to yesterday's great thing to keep it going. I find more pleasure and reward in creating something than in stepping into something already put together. But again, that might be because of my American upbringing and lack of connection to the greater world soccer culture where going to a Madrid or a Barca is viewed as recognition that you now one of the top players in the world.

I can see how wearing the Madrid kit might be considered a huge statement for a European player like Eriksen, but is that negative toward Spurs?

Maybe the focus on the word negative is wrong! Had Eriksen made a statement, that suggested exactly what you wrote in the second paragraph of your post (which is where I am coming from) I would have used the word positive!

It saddens me that at this stage of our progression one of our top players feels the way he does, but as I have said in previous posts that's fair enough and I have also said if he were to "change his mind" and sign a 2-3 year extension and stay, great! But I personally do not want him in a Spurs shirt whilst running his contract down to get a free!

COYS!

Fair enough, Royce. I don't think any of us want that either.

Having said that, even if he won't sign a new contract and Levy can't move him, I do expect him to play regularly and I expect him to play at the same level or better as he has in the past. I don't want a player of that caliber on the books, collecting a check, but left unused, as PSG did with Rabiot for the later part of last season. 

1 minute ago, Neophyte said:

Fair enough, Royce. I don't think any of us want that either.

Having said that, even if he won't sign a new contract and Levy can't move him, I do expect him to play regularly and I expect him to play at the same level or better as he has in the past. I don't want a player of that caliber on the books, collecting a check, but left unused, as PSG did with Rabiot for the later part of last season. 

I would be amazed if DL let him go on a free! 

Hearing Rose not included in the Asia pre-season tour! Trippier close to a £20mill move to A.Madrid. Toby (similar situation as Eriksen) close to a move to Roma? And has anyone seen pictures of Eriksen in pre-season training? What's the news across the pond on these?

Saddened by all these potential outs, but if it means we can then fund the Lo Celso/Sessengnon deals then that will ease my grief!!

I'm reading the same news as you, my friend. I get my best information from football.london and Alasdair Gold.

And no, I have not seen Eriksen in any of the pre-season photos from Enfield. Nor have I seen any of Rose.

Plenty of Toby and Trippier though.

20 hours ago, Neophyte said:

I'm reading the same news as you, my friend. I get my best information from football.london and Alasdair Gold.

And no, I have not seen Eriksen in any of the pre-season photos from Enfield. Nor have I seen any of Rose.

Plenty of Toby and Trippier though.

There is a video on the website featuring Tanguy's first day training, The Dane is in the video also training in the background....

On 7/15/2019 at 2:21 PM, Royce 71 said:

The Christian Eriksen saga gos on! The options.....

He transfers abroad (130 mill is ridiculous) for 60-70mill! The supposed price tag set by DL of 130 mill is unrealistic for a player with one year left on his contract and as a result, can then in principle begin to talk to other clubs in January 2020 I believe? So realistically we should be looking at half of that?

He transfers to another PL club! In this scenario I could see us getting another 10 (70-80) mill from the deal. I for one would not be concerned at the possibility of strengthening another PL side, as long as we reinvested that fee in the likes of a La Celso!

He stays and signs a new 2-3 year contract! His comment that he might looking for a new challenge, if it was a step-up from Spurs has left a bad taste in my mouth. However, if this is the outcome then I for one would applaud him and get behind him and forgive him for being just like 98% (no survey completed!!) of all EPL players, driven by money!

He stays and runs down his current contract! Not a chance! I have put this in as an option, but is it really!! Firstly DL would not allow under any circumstances a potential 60-80million£ player to just walk away from The Lane and surly a large percentage of the fans would turn against him and then in theory his performances would suffer and the whole situation would affect the dressing room?

Four weeks remain before we find out exactly which scenario we will see, or is there another potential scenario (even fantasy comical ones) I have not thought of? Your thoughts on this and the above please!

COYS!

I believe every effort should be made to move him on. His lack of consistency, and only turning up against the "weaker" sides has gone on long enough. Thanks for what he has done, but he mans up and says he wants to move. WHY KEEP HIM and lose money in the process. That 60 - 70 million could help with someone who has the legs and wants to be part of our set-up. OUT WITH Erikson.

1 hour ago, Superspur said:

I believe every effort should be made to move him on. His lack of consistency, and only turning up against the "weaker" sides has gone on long enough. Thanks for what he has done, but he mans up and says he wants to move. WHY KEEP HIM and lose money in the process. That 60 - 70 million could help with someone who has the legs and wants to be part of our set-up. OUT WITH Erikson.

I change my mind daily regards Eriksen and what I would like to see. I'm coming to the point where I'll accept whatever happens and trust in Poch and DL!