Spurs Web
Tonto911

The Poch

49 minutes ago, Asc3 said:

If Poch went to a big club and they had an established efficient transfer system and an assistant to advise on the use of Subsitutions and game management I think Poch could go on to win some trophies.

As an addition I would hate Spurs to become a big money wasteful club. I not only want them to be successful but to do it as they started off for 4 years. Then  some transfer money saved in previous years HAD to be spent. If only.......

I’ll keep this short and sweet. Poch will never win a big trophy. Doesn’t matter where he goes. If he goes to Madrid he would be sacked within 18 months. I’ll put my neck on the line and say poch will end up doing something similar to David moyes. Go from good club to big club to shit clubs. He’s not that good.

1 hour ago, Asc3 said:

Neo, I tend to be a pessimist but also try to not directly disagree with people.  So I won't disagree with you when you say  "I am making excuses". Not sure I could agree with any part of your excuserama.......

So it is your position that none of those things should matter or be taken into consideration?

52 minutes ago, Neophyte said:

So it is your position that none of those things should matter or be taken into consideration?

I think all of these points may have been considerations as would Harry Kane coming into training on a Monday  with a cold would be a consideration.

Ndombele valuation 60m I had never heard of him. Better value players in the Premiership who are more attuned to the Premiership system of play

We have a programme in the UK called "Defend the Indefensible". I don't want to totally dismiss  your points because there are those who  will believe they are relevant. 

I believe there are many possible reasons for our recent demise from recent progress....I am not sure you have mentioned any of them.

Not identifying or acknowledging the problems related to the Coach,Transfer Failings,Contracts, coach vs Player relationships, Player development allow the situation to continue.

2 hours ago, Asc3 said:

If Poch went to a big club and they had an established efficient transfer system and an assistant to advise on the use of Subsitutions and game management I think Poch could go on to win some trophies.

As an addition I would hate Spurs to become a big money wasteful club. I not only want them to be successful but to do it as they started off for 4 years. Then  some transfer money saved in previous years HAD to be spent. If only.......

I honestly think that could have happened Asc3, if only Enic were willing or able to spend and sell 18 months earlier than they did!

10 minutes ago, Asc3 said:

I think all of these points may have been considerations as would Harry Kane coming into training on a Monday  with a cold would be a consideration.

Ndombele valuation 60m I had never heard of him. Better value players in the Premiership who are more attuned to the Premiership system of play

We have a programme in the UK called "Defend the Indefensible". I don't want to totally dismiss  your points because there are those who  will believe they are relevant. 

I believe there are many possible reasons for our recent demise from recent progress....I am not sure you have mentioned any of them.

Not identifying or acknowledging the problems related to the Coach,Transfer Failings,Contracts, coach vs Player relationships, Player development allow the situation to continue.

Gotcha.

For me, everything you mention on that last line has to be viewed through the lens of my points noted above. None of these things exist in a vacuum. Transfer Failings are tied to money which is tied to the stadium and Brexit. Contracts are tied to money and transfer failings. Player development is tied to transfer dealings and the coach. Coach vs player relationships is tied to contracts which is tied to money which is tied to...

It feels like so many want to isolate bits and pieces in order to apportion some level of blame, and I just see any way to isolate anything. 

8 minutes ago, Neophyte said:

Gotcha.

For me, everything you mention on that last line has to be viewed through the lens of my points noted above. None of these things exist in a vacuum. Transfer Failings are tied to money which is tied to the stadium and Brexit. Contracts are tied to money and transfer failings. Player development is tied to transfer dealings and the coach. Coach vs player relationships is tied to contracts which is tied to money which is tied to...

It feels like so many want to isolate bits and pieces in order to apportion some level of blame, and I just see any way to isolate anything. 

Just one of your points Transfers. Was it a failing to sell Trippier for an underpriced 20m. We have at least 150m of talent walking on a free  in the Summer. We have xxxmillion pound of Summer Transfers of which one has played reasonably consistently but was subbed in very late in the Very important Liverpool game. Transfers are a total mess.

Our problems are all decision made failings.... not Brexit or unforeseen (Contingency) circumstances.

1 minute ago, Asc3 said:

Just one of your points Transfers. Was it a failing to sell Trippier for an underpriced 20m. We have at least 150m of talent walking on a free  in the Summer. We have xxxmillion pound of Summer Transfers of which one has played reasonably consistently but was subbed in very late in the Very important Liverpool game. Transfers are a total mess.

Our problems are all decision made failings.... not Brexit or unforeseen (Contingency) circumstances.

Was Trippier really underpriced at 20m this summer? Most Spurs fans thought he was horrible last season and wanted him gone. Now he is gone, for more than we paid for him, and not a guy running his contract down.

Do we really have 150m in talent walking on free next year? I would say no. Alderweireld could have been had for 25m this last summer and probably close to that the summer before. No offers. Vertonghen is 2 years older than Toby, so I doubt he is worth any more than that and likely less. If rumors are right, Spurs would have parted with Eriksen for less than 60m in the final weeks of the transfer window. No takers. Right now, I don't think you could get more than 90m for the 3 of them and that is me being generous. I think the real number is closer to 75m, or half your valuation.

The club has been willing to sell. That is ALL the club can do too, be willing to sell. They need another club, one the player wants to go to, to be willing to buy. It isn't as simple as just making a decision to sell a player on, yet you seem to think it is. 

The club brought in Ndombele as early as possible, nearly at the start of the transfer window. Lo Celso was signed late, yes, but he still would not have reported any sooner than he did because he participated in the Copa America with Argentina. Sessegnon was hurt when he signed so we all knew he wasn't going to feature quickly.

As far as the subbing in late goes...if you are the manager and the fitness staff tells you that your new star player is good one full match and maybe some sub-work in a second match in a week's time, do you start him in a must-win home match in the Champions League or do you start him in an away match you are going to be hard-pressed to win whether he starts or not?

3 hours ago, Garyjones1271 said:

I’ll keep this short and sweet. Poch will never win a big trophy. Doesn’t matter where he goes. If he goes to Madrid he would be sacked within 18 months. I’ll put my neck on the line and say poch will end up doing something similar to David moyes. Go from good club to big club to shit clubs. He’s not that good.

10 months ago I would have disagreed with you and stuck up for Poch. However, as I have said on here before, Poch took all the credit when seemingly taking the club forward therefore, when there is a slump gradually worsening and lasting 10 plus months, he cannot be considered as blameless. Yes, the are some mitigating circumstances when individual players make unforgivable mistakes that lead to conceding goals and dropping points. Yet that is something that all players do their managers throughout a season so it is not unique to Poch. I base my opinion of him not on his 4 good seasons but on the results in 2019. We have lost 21 games in 2019, and only won 4 games in 14 in all competitions this season. Poch has never found an answer which, if he really is a potential top manager, he should have. We are all entitled to our opinions and this is mine. I just can't accept he is blameless and all the fault  lies with others. 

COYS

1 hour ago, Jamesinashby said:

10 months ago I would have disagreed with you and stuck up for Poch. However, as I have said on here before, Poch took all the credit when seemingly taking the club forward therefore, when there is a slump gradually worsening and lasting 10 plus months, he cannot be considered as blameless. Yes, the are some mitigating circumstances when individual players make unforgivable mistakes that lead to conceding goals and dropping points. Yet that is something that all players do their managers throughout a season so it is not unique to Poch. I base my opinion of him not on his 4 good seasons but on the results in 2019. We have lost 21 games in 2019, and only won 4 games in 14 in all competitions this season. Poch has never found an answer which, if he really is a potential top manager, he should have. We are all entitled to our opinions and this is mine. I just can't accept he is blameless and all the fault  lies with others. 

COYS

"Poch took all the credit"?

I don't recall Poch coming out and saying he did it all by himself. He is a man about the collective, the group, the team above all, even himself (and he is on record saying that).

He has been assigned the credit by many in the media, but that is not his fault.

How quickly we love when things go well, how quickly we forget when they don't.

40 minutes ago, Neophyte said:

I don't recall Poch coming out and saying he did it all by himself. He is a man about the collective, the group, the team above all, even himself (and he is on record saying that).

He has been assigned the credit by many in the media, but that is not his fault.

Neo, look at the Premiership Table. Look at the Club Motivation, Look at Results of the last 20 Games, Look at the Contract Situation, Look at Individual Players failures. 

No one is unduly criticising POCH but with so many problems visible they are entitled to ask why, are they acknowledged and what is being done to correct them.

i am hearing and seing nothing except the vague oft repeated the next Transfer Window will sort it out.

it won't,  we won't sell 10 individuals and recruit replacements in January. I doubt we will do anything. The freebies will sign their pre-contracts and we will limp along until the end of the season hoping things don't turn out too bad.

I am not predicting doom only that we will return to Top 6/7 standards. It's not the end of the world only the end of a hopeful period.

Poch has led us to a 11W 5D 13L record in the Premiership in 2019.  That is not good enough.  Full stop. End of.  Do I blame Poch alone?  Absolutely not.  But ultimately the Coach is the first one to fall on his sword.  In the first half of 2018/19 season Spurs were performing miracles with no summer transfers. No transfers again in January meaning the squad is essentially unchanged with zero significant outgoings and the bottom has fallen out ever since.  So what has changed?  Whatever it is Poch and his staff have not been able to come up with a solution.  That record is not acceptable and I cannot argue against Poch bearing a great proportion of the blame.  I can’t think of a single Champions League aspiring professional football team that would still have their manager after a string of results like these. Those losses include Bournemouth, West Ham, Wolves, Brighton, Newcastle, Southampton, Burnley as well as teams we would not be so critical of losing to.  Some of our wins include Huddersfield, Cardiff and Fulham who are now in the Championship.  A 3-0 loss to Brighton and a fortunate home draw last place Watford,  the more you dissect the results and performances the more desperate it seems.

Whilst, I admire the manner in which some can after all this remain positive,  I cannot, and see only one solution. 

2 hours ago, Alonso said:

Poch has led us to a 11W 5D 13L record in the Premiership in 2019.  That is not good enough.  Full stop. End of.  Do I blame Poch alone?  Absolutely not.  But ultimately the Coach is the first one to fall on his sword.  In the first half of 2018/19 season Spurs were performing miracles with no summer transfers. No transfers again in January meaning the squad is essentially unchanged with zero significant outgoings and the bottom has fallen out ever since.  So what has changed?  Whatever it is Poch and his staff have not been able to come up with a solution.  That record is not acceptable and I cannot argue against Poch bearing a great proportion of the blame.  I can’t think of a single Champions League aspiring professional football team that would still have their manager after a string of results like these. Those losses include Bournemouth, West Ham, Wolves, Brighton, Newcastle, Southampton, Burnley as well as teams we would not be so critical of losing to.  Some of our wins include Huddersfield, Cardiff and Fulham who are now in the Championship.  A 3-0 loss to Brighton and a fortunate home draw last place Watford,  the more you dissect the results and performances the more desperate it seems.

Whilst, I admire the manner in which some can after all this remain positive,  I cannot, and see only one solution. 

How about a change in football!! What about the ridiculous idea that we point fingers at chairman and more importantly the players that cross the white line, especially those who know they won't be at the club next season and are desperate to avoid injury for fear of screwing their big pay day!

Lets just assume we get rid of Poch and his staff next week! Then what? A new manager and staff come in! We will still have the same players with the same "attitudes" crossing the white line, plus if we are talking Allegeri or a manager of similar stature, which I assume we are, does anyone not think he will agree to the best he can with the squad he will inherit. Of course he wont!! He will want assurances of a Winter and Summer war chest, probably both adding up to over 2 million+

Poch and his staff know the psyche of each individual player of this current squad and a large percentage of them love playing for him, and those that no longer do are on their way next year. N'Dombele, Lo Celso, Sessengnon all signed because of Poch! Kane, Son, Sissoko, Winks, Lamela, Davies, Foyth, Parrott and maybe Dele and Moura would run through a brick wall for the man.

There is a rancid smell at The Lane right now being given off by those that want away, and its getting up everyone's noses. Once that's gone and Poch has been given the 200 million pound air-freshener that any other manager would demand, then we will see the Spurs displays and results we saw in 2016/17/18

COYS!

It's a reality that chairman fires managers, not the other way around.

Yes, it is not fair but that is the rules of the game.

And which players do we point our fingers at? Toby, Jan, and Eriksen?

Players don't leave because the manager is fired.

Managers who are popular with the players still get fired like everyone else when the results are bad.  ex. Ranieri, Redknapp, Martin Jol

8 hours ago, Royce 71 said:

How about a change in football!! What about the ridiculous idea that we point fingers at chairman and more importantly the players that cross the white line, especially those who know they won't be at the club next season and are desperate to avoid injury for fear of screwing their big pay day!

Lets just assume we get rid of Poch and his staff next week! Then what? A new manager and staff come in! We will still have the same players with the same "attitudes" crossing the white line, plus if we are talking Allegeri or a manager of similar stature, which I assume we are, does anyone not think he will agree to the best he can with the squad he will inherit. Of course he wont!! He will want assurances of a Winter and Summer war chest, probably both adding up to over 2 million+

Poch and his staff know the psyche of each individual player of this current squad and a large percentage of them love playing for him, and those that no longer do are on their way next year. N'Dombele, Lo Celso, Sessengnon all signed because of Poch! Kane, Son, Sissoko, Winks, Lamela, Davies, Foyth, Parrott and maybe Dele and Moura would run through a brick wall for the man.

There is a rancid smell at The Lane right now being given off by those that want away, and its getting up everyone's noses. Once that's gone and Poch has been given the 200 million pound air-freshener that any other manager would demand, then we will see the Spurs displays and results we saw in 2016/17/18

COYS!

Royce, let me ask you this.  You speak of a rancid smell from want away players at the Lane, so I ask you who are those players?

11 hours ago, Alonso said:

During that same time, he also managed the team to a CL Final. Dismissing Borussia Dortmund, Manchester City, and Ajax Amsterdam - the last two of those without our best player.

13 minutes ago, Alonso said:

Royce, let me ask you this.  You speak of a rancid smell from want away players at the Lane, so I ask you who are those players?

I'd say Eriksen, Rose, and Wanyama, at this point. Eriksen wants to play on the continent now, Rose wants lord knows what, and Wanyama just wants to play and knows he won't see much first XI time with Winks, Sissoko, and Ndombele on the team. These are ones who, for a number of different reasons, are playing up to potential now.

While Toby and Jan are out of contract next summer, I don't believe they necessarily fall into the "wantaway" category. At least not in terms of on-pitch performance. 

2 hours ago, Alonso said:

It is just my description of a stinking situation we have got ourselves into by allowing Eriksen, Toby to run down their contracts, potentially setting a precedent for the likes of Vertonghan and Rose. This kind of "vibe" cannot be good and giving these players game time over long-term committed players stinks and is the main reason for our period of demise imo!

That explanation is very vague. It is clear that signing a CB is not a priority in the summer. About 150m spending but no RB or CB.

Sanchez is available for most of the games this season. And he is expensive signing. Why don't Poch just play Sanchez every game? Or use Dier as CB?

Danny Rose is not better or worse than last season. Davies signed a new contract. I assume Poch handed a new contract to him because he have a future with us. Why not go with Davies if Rose is the problem?

18 hours ago, Neophyte said:

You are quite right about me putting, 'Poch took all the credit', and I have given myself a bollacking for choosing the wrong word and misrepresenting the meaning I intended. I meant to say Poch haas received a lot of plaudits and credit for achieving in bringing the club up to the cusp of being a regular top European club. I don't think anyone is forgetting what he has done. I read those posts as as he has done well but, when things fell apart, he couldn't find an answer to stop it collapsing to the position it the club now finds itself. I changed my position on him from posts I have read on here. Yes, he has done well on a shoestring. However, as some others have pointed out, he hasn't actually won anything in his career. Liverpool, City, Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have all won the league Cup and FA Cup giving both a much higher priority than Poch. Our fans have been craving for success in these competitions which Poch has said  he wasn't interested in. For me I am disappointed in him for ignoring the importance of winning a trophy was to the fans. 

I think almost without exception that we all think he has achieved much in the past and acknowledge the fact and thank him for it. However, having given him credit for what he has done I and others feel it fair to apportion a fair amount of the blame on him for the slump which has been going on for over 10 months. We can accept that things out of his control have also played a part. But one area falls entirely in his lap and that is what happens in the game. He virtually has the same squad that had got them to 3rd place last Christmas yet somehow that same squad is only very rarely playing to the level it was 10 months ago. He controls the training, decides on the formation and how to play the game, picks the team and decides on who and when with substitutions. This is an area he often picks up criticism for getting things wrong.  I was a hockey player for 35 years so have no practical experience - I'm all theory picked up through watching 100s of matches and learning from the comments of the ex players and coaches on TV. I also think that there are knowledgeable posters on here who have played the game (some as semi-pro level) and their posts make sense to me and have led me to accept their view.

I thank Poch for all he has done and accept he has a lot of talent. But I also accept the views on here that have pointed out his so called failings coupled with the fact he is unproven at the very highest level - it can only be conjecture if given a top club to manage it is certain he will succeed. For me the yardstick is that given this rough 10 months he has been unable to come up with an answer why or a solution.

That is just my current view. It has nothing to do with forgetting what he has achieved, that can never been taken away from him. I will always like him and praise what he has done. What I can't do is to bring myself to trust him to sort out this current situation and then to move on to become a top, top manager. He is untested at that level and in the last 10 months has done nothing to give me confidence he has the situation under control.

At 80 years old I would like to think I have a decade or two left to see the Glory, Glory days again. That said, there is no guarantee of me reaching a ripe old age so I personally would like to see a proven top manager who has already won a handful of trophies come to club to take us up to the next level.

Oh, I didn't mean to apply Poch claimed the credit. No manager other than Mourhino (if that's how you spell his name), they always praise their players. So I know it is others that praise.

COYS

14 hours ago, Royce 71 said:

COYS!

I would be gutted if levy gave poch 200 million. We need mourinho or someone of that ilk that would stroll into levy’s office and demand money for big players. If levy said no mourinho would walk leaving levy with fingers firmly pointed at him. There would then be no hiding place and once and  for all we would finally know who does the buying. Mourinho has a history of making it clear that if a player comes that’s not his choice he will tell us. Fred a prime example and Schevchenko another. I’d rather poch be given nothing in January to see just how good he is. If he gets this Tottenham out of this mess and miraculously finishes 4th he deserves all the praise he still continues to get.

2 hours ago, Garyjones1271 said:

I would be gutted if levy gave poch 200 million. We need mourinho or someone of that ilk that would stroll into levy’s office and demand money for big players. If levy said no mourinho would walk leaving levy with fingers firmly pointed at him. There would then be no hiding place and once and  for all we would finally know who does the buying. Mourinho has a history of making it clear that if a player comes that’s not his choice he will tell us. Fred a prime example and Schevchenko another. I’d rather poch be given nothing in January to see just how good he is. If he gets this Tottenham out of this mess and miraculously finishes 4th he deserves all the praise he still continues to get.

Correct me Jonsey, because its getting late and I'm tired! You want Mourinho because he will make demands Levy will reject and eventually leave seeing us in a more precarious/uncertain situation than w currently are, with a 6-7 million pound managers contract to pay up!!

Foot Note: Cut the war chest and wage structure of Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd and then and only then can you judge Poch! Or....

Give Poch the war chest and wage structure of the above and after 2 full seasons judge Poch! Because (repeating myself) this is what any manager worth his salt would want.

We do not seem, or it seems we are unable to invest in the best of the best! An if that's true then no one associated with THFC can be blamed! A s long as you are prepared to understand and accept this is true!

We have enjoyed a taste of the top table. Take the menu home and reminise now and then but understand we are and always will be a bistro outfit with the current owners in charge.

7 hours ago, Royce 71 said:

Correct me Jonsey, because its getting late and I'm tired! You want Mourinho because he will make demands Levy will reject and eventually leave seeing us in a more precarious/uncertain situation than w currently are, with a 6-7 million pound managers contract to pay up!!

Foot Note: Cut the war chest and wage structure of Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd and then and only then can you judge Poch! Or....

Give Poch the war chest and wage structure of the above and after 2 full seasons judge Poch! Because (repeating myself) this is what any manager worth his salt would want.

We do not seem, or it seems we are unable to invest in the best of the best! An if that's true then no one associated with THFC can be blamed! A s long as you are prepared to understand and accept this is true!

We have enjoyed a taste of the top table. Take the menu home and reminise now and then but understand we are and always will be a bistro outfit with the current owners in charge.

I’ll correct you roycey. I want poch gone plain and simple. In the same way your telling us give poch parity with your other mentioned clubs I’m saying exactly the opposite because poch is wasteful in the transfer market. Your blame lies squarely at the feet of joe Lewis and Daniel levy, my feelings are that poch is to blame. 
point 1 please tell me in your opinion in the squad we have  if any who are world class players? 

we can then carry on this discussion 

I’ll get to my point later 

I think Harry was Top European Class and 12 months ago bordering World Class but if that is right why have some of Top World Clubs that are struggling not tried to buy him. He still scores goals but is he becoming inconsistent?.

Dele and Eriksen once again were Top European Class 12-18 months ago.

Not wanting to turn it around to POCH but it is the Managers job to maintain and develope his players and play them in games,with tactics and rotate them to get the best out of them.

These 3 not being at their best will dramatically affect the squad motivation on and off the field.

8 hours ago, Garyjones1271 said:

I’ll correct you roycey. I want poch gone plain and simple. In the same way your telling us give poch parity with your other mentioned clubs I’m saying exactly the opposite because poch is wasteful in the transfer market. Your blame lies squarely at the feet of joe Lewis and Daniel levy, my feelings are that poch is to blame. 
point 1 please tell me in your opinion in the squad we have  if any who are world class players? 

we can then carry on this discussion 

I’ll get to my point later 

I think you want Poch out so bad that you are not fine with Spurs losing, you actively want them to lose so he will be gone. You appear to be cheering against his success.