Spurs Web
Hastingsyid

new members

I am a returnee member and see there are many new posters on here since I took a sabbatical from using the forum. Therefore, for all those who know me, this is a refresher and for the newbies some boring facts that you probably are not interested in.

Being old, I class myself as a VOG (Venerable Old Git) expecting some deference and politeness from you younger folk. Sadly it has not been forthcoming so I may have to report some of you to Age Concern! LOL

I spent 35 years in Uniform serving Queen and country involving 16 months in Northern Ireland on bomb disposal. During those years I missed all the dangerous conflicts like the Falklands, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan. This allowed me to spend most of my time in cushy overseas postings including Malta, Libya, Germany, Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. I was a keen swimmer, athlete and sportsman and have cups and medals for boxing, swimming, track athletics, cross country, cricket, hockey and 7 aside rugby. I worked my way up through the ranks to WO1 and then was commissioned and retired as a major. And no, that wasn't a major arsehole. Normally I would be too modest to mention this but as we now have a manager who is forever blowing his own trumpet, I thought I would compete with him! 

On leaving the army I found you bloody civilians made me pay for all my sport so that all went for a Burton. Since leaving managed to continue with golf, squash, badminton and tennis. I still play badminton twice a week with young lads still in their 50s and 60s and go regularly to the gym. I managed to take early retirement aged 58 and, luckily, my health and fitness has stayed with me physically so I can continue enjoying myself. It is not all hunky-dory though. Some 7 years ago it was discovered I was losing my memory and it was diagnosed as Vascular Dementia. Luckily the lack of blood flow is only to the part which stores memory responsible for nouns, name places and details of past events. The side which deals with the structure (grammar) part is unimpaired which means my cognitive side still works and I can reason and speak relatively well. Those who know me don't believe I do have this dementia problem but I do. I have forgotten most of Spurs results for this season and the goal scorers and have to keep a written diary so I can refer back to them. However, when I hear or read them, I remember them again for a short time. I remember events but not the detail.

I had a spell on here as a Moderator for those who have joined since I left but circumstances were such that I needed to have a break. I prefer social media to be a polite place for exchanging views and I like to think I couch my posts in a non-offensive manner. Apologies to any I may offend. Having said that, I accept others views are equally as important and live with the forum when sometimes it erupts. It is no longer my responsibility to police what is posted on here so Neophyte, Paxton and Stan now do that and it appears to be working well.

Boring prattle now over - for those of you who actually managed to get to the end, a pat on the back for you fortitude.

1 hour ago, Jamesinashby said:

I am a returnee member and see there are many new posters on here since I took a sabbatical from using the forum. Therefore, for all those who know me, this is a refresher and for the newbies some boring facts that you probably are not interested in.

Being old, I class myself as a VOG (Venerable Old Git) expecting some deference and politeness from you younger folk. Sadly it has not been forthcoming so I may have to report some of you to Age Concern! LOL

I spent 35 years in Uniform serving Queen and country involving 16 months in Northern Ireland on bomb disposal. During those years I missed all the dangerous conflicts like the Falklands, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan. This allowed me to spend most of my time in cushy overseas postings including Malta, Libya, Germany, Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. I was a keen swimmer, athlete and sportsman and have cups and medals for boxing, swimming, track athletics, cross country, cricket, hockey and 7 aside rugby. I worked my way up through the ranks to WO1 and then was commissioned and retired as a major. And no, that wasn't a major arsehole. Normally I would be too modest to mention this but as we now have a manager who is forever blowing his own trumpet, I thought I would compete with him! 

On leaving the army I found you bloody civilians made me pay for all my sport so that all went for a Burton. Since leaving managed to continue with golf, squash, badminton and tennis. I still play badminton twice a week with young lads still in their 50s and 60s and go regularly to the gym. I managed to take early retirement aged 58 and, luckily, my health and fitness has stayed with me physically so I can continue enjoying myself. It is not all hunky-dory though. Some 7 years ago it was discovered I was losing my memory and it was diagnosed as Vascular Dementia. Luckily the lack of blood flow is only to the part which stores memory responsible for nouns, name places and details of past events. The side which deals with the structure (grammar) part is unimpaired which means my cognitive side still works and I can reason and speak relatively well. Those who know me don't believe I do have this dementia problem but I do. I have forgotten most of Spurs results for this season and the goal scorers and have to keep a written diary so I can refer back to them. However, when I hear or read them, I remember them again for a short time. I remember events but not the detail.

I had a spell on here as a Moderator for those who have joined since I left but circumstances were such that I needed to have a break. I prefer social media to be a polite place for exchanging views and I like to think I couch my posts in a non-offensive manner. Apologies to any I may offend. Having said that, I accept others views are equally as important and live with the forum when sometimes it erupts. It is no longer my responsibility to police what is posted on here so Neophyte, Paxton and Stan now do that and it appears to be working well.

Boring prattle now over - for those of you who actually managed to get to the end, a pat on the back for you fortitude.

Well written "old timer"

Hi Vasiaveterfem. 

I see you have just joined. Things are very quiet on here because of Covid-19. 

Anyway, welcome. Why don't you introduce your self on this thread? Please join in as we would love to hear from you. We are a friendly bunch. 

COYS 

Hello (again),

Yep it's me. Before I do anything else may I first express my extreme sadness at the news of Stanmac's passing. My condolences to his family. I know how much he was loved on here and he will be sorely missed. He was such a vibrant character and will leave a huge void.

I retired to live in the Republic of Ireland three years ago and look forward to sharing once again the banter (or craic as they say over here) about our beloved team. My sincere best regards to you all.

Hi m8 how’s it hanging dude ???,,,,nice to read ya nice m8 ,,,my grammer and spellling hasn’t improved but the friendship’s have ,,,,lock down bruvs on here mate new pub blah blah ,,,stronger than krypton mate 

On 11/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, Borodin said:

Hello (again),

Yep it's me. Before I do anything else may I first express my extreme sadness at the news of Stanmac's passing. My condolences to his family. I know how much he was loved on here and he will be sorely missed. He was such a vibrant character and will leave a huge void.

I retired to live in the Republic of Ireland three years ago and look forward to sharing once again the banter (or craic as they say over here) about our beloved team. My sincere best regards to you all.

Welcome to Ireland lad,best country in the world...

15 minutes ago, Jay Kane said:

Welcome to Ireland lad,best country in the world...

Must admit it was the best move we ever made. I've always loved the place and the people. Everyone has been so friendly and helpful. We live right out in the countryside so a power cut also means no water, turf fires instead of central heating (although we do have oil now) and the blackest night skies I have ever seen but when the stars come out it's truly beautiful. Old values, true neighbours and good craic in the pubs. We also have family just 15 minutes away with our son, daughter in law and grandchildren living close by. Truly blessed.

My favourite 'Irish' story since I've been here concerns one of our pub locals called Kevin. A venerable old gentleman with a sense of humour as dry as a bone. It was my first summer (2018) and it was absolutely roasting hot. We were all sitting in the bar with the doors and windows wide open and the Guinness going down like liquid velvet. Suddenly our landlord Gerry picks up a copy of Whitaker's Almanac (remember those ?). He stands by Kevin then looks at the rest of us and winks. He opens it looks at a page and says in a loud voice "According to this we will have snow the day after tomorrow".

Kevin never looked up, just stared into his pint and then said quietly "Well I'll tell you this for sure, it won't last long in this weather". Absolutely priceless, we were all in tears.

To all our new members : Welcome to our Spurs forum

We look forward to seeing your posts on the various topics in here. You'll find us a very friendly bunch so why not introduce yourself and then get posting !!

:16:

:yid:

Hello lads!

Id like to start by saying thank you for allowing me to join the forum so that Im able express my thoughts and frustrations when it comes to Spurs! My names Liam, Im a young man in my 20s from London who has supported spurs forever. My dad introduced me to Spurs as young as im able to think back, sadly my family was rairly able to afford tickets to matches growing up which made it worse living only 20 minutes from WHL. When we where able to afford tickets I can always think back to going to games with my dad and how amazing the atomsphere was. I couldnt help but involuntarily smile everytime I saw the pitch again. Being a little older now with the opening of the new stadium Im able to attend more games and hope to be able to afford a season ticket by the time im in my 30s so I can take my future kids to games. Growing up Pavlyuchenko/ Van Der Vaart and Jenas were some of my favourites! Glad to see some irish members in the forum too as I also have some strong Irish roots. Hope everyone had a great weekend and is staying safe during the lockdown! Bring on City next weekend !

COYS!

Warm welcome Liam, I did smile when you said you are in your 20's and have supported Spurs 'forever'. Some of us elderly statesmen in here have longer memories of 'forever' but it's nice to know you started young and your Father brought you up to be a fan. I too share your love of Van Der Vaart, he was a favourite of mine also. Such a shame he left when he did and even more so that he now admits it was a huge mistake that he bitterly regrets.

I have no Irish roots like James does but I now live in the beautiful county of Galway and adore the place. I look forward to reading your posts and hopefully we'll be chatting about our win on Saturday at the weekend.

COYS !!

13 minutes ago, LiamCOYS said:

Hello lads!

Id like to start by saying thank you for allowing me to join the forum so that Im able express my thoughts and frustrations when it comes to Spurs! My names Liam, Im a young man in my 20s from London who has supported spurs forever. My dad introduced me to Spurs as young as im able to think back, sadly my family was rairly able to afford tickets to matches growing up which made it worse living only 20 minutes from WHL. When we where able to afford tickets I can always think back to going to games with my dad and how amazing the atomsphere was. I couldnt help but involuntarily smile everytime I saw the pitch again. Being a little older now with the opening of the new stadium Im able to attend more games and hope to be able to afford a season ticket by the time im in my 30s so I can take my future kids to games. Growing up Pavlyuchenko/ Van Der Vaart and Jenas were some of my favourites! Glad to see some irish members in the forum too as I also have some strong Irish roots. Hope everyone had a great weekend and is staying safe during the lockdown! Bring on City next weekend !

COYS!

You have already won 'Brownie points', Liam ,as you are one of the rare exceptions who, having joined and who introduces themselves. We look forward to reading your posts.

COYS

ps to all those who have joined this year and not introduced yourselves and not made a post, please follow Liam's lead. Borodin and I are trying to get the forum buzzing again and would really appreciate your support by you making the occasional reply to a post that you either agree or or have an alternative view.  Even if it is just clicking on one of the choices of how you feel.

COYS

13 minutes ago, Borodin said:

Warm welcome Liam, I did smile when you said you are in your 20's and have supported Spurs 'forever'. Some of us elderly statesmen in here have longer memories of 'forever' but it's nice to know you started young and your Father brought you up to be a fan. I too share your love of Van Der Vaart, he was a favourite of mine also. Such a shame he left when he did and even more so that he now admits it was a huge mistake that he bitterly regrets.

I have no Irish roots like James does but I now live in the beautiful county of Galway and adore the place. I look forward to reading your posts and hopefully we'll be chatting about our win on Saturday at the weekend.

COYS !!

Thanks again Borodin! Im told I tend to over exaggerate sometimes haha ! But In my case it really does feel like ive supported them forever as my dad is in his 70s and has always been a Spurs fan! Ive got tonnes of old match programmes from before my time including an old 1958-59 squad photo and an actual VHS tape recording of the ricky villa FA cup goal! (which my dad was behind the goal for). In my time Ive caught the 'lackluster' period of spurs only seeing us lift 1 trophy in my lifetime so its been really easy and interesting to educate myself and remember our past like I stepped out a time machine haha! The last 5-6 years has had the best set of spurs players Ive ever gotten to see in real life so hopefully we can recreate our period of success from the 60s! Im calling a 2-1 spurs' way !

COYS!!

A thread you may like, Liam. It was started by Mr8ball at the start of the 1st lockdown called Kings of whitehart lane. It is meant to be a virtual pub where we pop in for a chat on anything - often what is going in in our lives or how we are feeling. Only a handful of us tend to use it and it is good to get things off your chest in there and it is very friendly.

Just a thought.

By the way, at 81, I am the granddad of the group you, being the youngest at 20 can whippersnapper who drag oldies like me kicking and screaming into this new technological world.  LOL

Thanks James ! I appreciate the recommendation and will definitely check it out!

Hearing of your experienced support I very much look forward to reading your coming post match analysis’ !

From the youngest to the oldest, I salute your loyalty to spurs sir ! 

COYS

7 hours ago, LiamCOYS said:

Thanks again Borodin! Im told I tend to over exaggerate sometimes haha ! But In my case it really does feel like ive supported them forever as my dad is in his 70s and has always been a Spurs fan! Ive got tonnes of old match programmes from before my time including an old 1958-59 squad photo and an actual VHS tape recording of the ricky villa FA cup goal! (which my dad was behind the goal for). In my time Ive caught the 'lackluster' period of spurs only seeing us lift 1 trophy in my lifetime so its been really easy and interesting to educate myself and remember our past like I stepped out a time machine haha! The last 5-6 years has had the best set of spurs players Ive ever gotten to see in real life so hopefully we can recreate our period of success from the 60s! Im calling a 2-1 spurs' way !

COYS!!

It's certainly an exciting time to be a Spurs fan that's for sure. It's been a rollercoaster ride of 'almost' and 'if only' for quite a few seasons now but maybe (just maybe) we have the players and the manager who can finally bring some silverware home. Keep believing.

COYS !

Hello everyone, I found this site through the mobile app and am looking forward to meeting other Spurs supporters here.

I'm an American, and I've been following Spurs for more than 10 years now. My interest in your round-ball football ( :two: ) began when the World Cup was played here when I was a kid (1994) and when we got a fully professional league here in 1996. Before that it was rare to even see football on television here but I fell in love with the game.

The Premier League first started to be televised regularly in the US around 2008, and so the first season I watched heavily was 2008-2009. There would only be two or three matches a week televised on an obscure cable channel, but Spurs seemed to be on a lot. This of course was the year they got off to their worst-ever start and sacked the manager in October. I watched the team under Harry Redknapp battle from the bottom of the table back to finish 8th and it made me a fan for life. They showed a lot of heart even though they did not seem especially talented in those years, and I thought Harry was hilarious.

Today I can watch every Premier League match between my cable TV and an inexpensive streaming package, although your lunchtime fixtures are 6:00 AM for me so it means some early mornings!

I still don't know another Spurs fan in real life, so I'm glad to be here to meet some of you. Hope you are all doing well, look forward to cheering with you!

27 minutes ago, kcspurs said:

Hello everyone, I found this site through the mobile app and am looking forward to meeting other Spurs supporters here.

I'm an American, and I've been following Spurs for more than 10 years now. My interest in you round-ball football ( :two: ) began when the World Cup was played here when I was a kid (1994) and when we got a fully professional league here in 1996. Before that it was rare to even see football on television here but I fell in love with the game.

The Premier League first started to be televised regularly in the US around 2008, and so the first season I watched heavily was 2008-2009. There would only be two or three matches a week televised on an obscure cable channel, but Spurs seemed to be on a lot. This of course was the year they got off to their worst-ever start and sacked the manager in October. I watched the team under Harry Redknapp battle from the bottom of the table back to finish 8th and it made me a fan for life. They showed a lot of heart even though they did not seem especially talented in those years, and I thought Harry was hilarious.

Today I can watch every Premier League match between my cable TV and an inexpensive streaming package, although your lunchtime fixtures are 6:00 AM for me so it means some early mornings!

I still don't know another Spurs fan in real life, so I'm glad to be here to meet some of you. Hope you are all doing well, look forward to cheering with you!

Welcome kcspurs, you'll find us all a very friendly bunch in here and always willing to chat to fellow Spurs supporters from across the pond. You're right that Harry Redknapp was (and still is) hilarious but in a great way. I love the guy, one of a dying breed and what a Londoner would term as a 'diamond geezer'. His teams were never dull or boring and I did think he was a bit harshly treated. I know he had his eyes on the England manager's job but what league manager wouldn't ?. Fate dealt a cruel blow regarding CL qualification and then he was gone but he left us all with some wonderful memories.

So let's hope you join us at an exciting time in the club's history and we'll finally be celebrating a trophy or title win soon. I look forward to reading your posts on the various topics in here.

COYS !!

A very warm welcome to  you kcspurs. You are not alone being a fan from the USA as there are at least 3 others to my knowledge. Our Administrator - Neophyte is and has the important task of setting up the match thread. perhaps you'd like to have a guess as to the match against City adding you vote.

As Borodin says, this is not just a friendly forum, it is probably the only one that is. Some of the others are full of trolls that puts people posting. LiamCoys has only very recently joined and has already established himself as a regular poster which is what we strive for - people who join in rather than treat the forum as a newspaper..

There is one thread on here started at the beginning of the pandemic Called Kings of whitehart lane. We  call it our virtual pub and whenever we are board we pop into it to have a chat about anything - often about how our day is going. It saves opening new threads for the simple day to day things that friends talk about amongst themselves.

We look forward to hearing more from you.