Neophyte

20/21 PL: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Manchester City

Tottenham v Man City  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What's your result?

• Win
    • Lose
    • Draw

This game is the start of a run of 7 that will define our season. City, by their standards, have made a woeful start. We, by our pre season expectations, have made a terrific start. It gives me hope that something can come out of this game, but I am a tad nervous.

If, when taking into account that Stirling really is out through injury plus their other injuries, this is a reasonable chance and one we must not throw away.

I am going to stick my neck out and go for a victory by 1 goal rather than be safe and go for the draw.

COYS

Both teams are gonna be up for this one. Though city havent had the best start to the season you have to admit only losing 1 from 8 isnt terrible form. City have seemed almost missing this year when it comes to attacking but im sure that was due to the injurys of KDB(earlier in season), sterling and aguero.

With the chance of sterling and aguero playing saturday becoming more likely, I think Our CB's will need to be solid (Dier and Toby) and our Full backs need to be fast(Regulion and Aurier). So maybe the return of Aurier to side may benefit our situation as Doherty isnt exactly the fastest of players. If Fernandinho returns to the starting line up I think we need to max out the physicality in the midfield. Sissoko, Hoijberg and Tanguy should be the mid triangle (seems to be a go to midfield for mourinho atm as he dosent seem to like playing Lo Celso and Tanguy together). Who knows... JM may suprise us all and give winks his first start since Newcastle.

For me ... Moura, Kane and Son start. The only player I swapped (Besides Doherty) from the West brom side is Bale. I believe Mouras form cant be ignored, whether its a tap in at the back post or an assist from a cross, Moura is reliable for a goal when it really matters. I think Bale would have more impact coming on as a sub if we need a goal.

Ultimatly I believe we have better squad depth than city and way more of a passion to wanna win. I dont think City will let us walk through easily as they face falling into the bottom half of the table while we stare at 1st. Calling a 2-1 spurs. (Moura and Kane) thats if my prediction if line up is correct lol. 

COYS!!!

confidence should be high at least he's got a bit of time to prepare the team and should done his homework on City I think if we go at them early and stay confident don't over respect them we can beat City I think we've lost Doherty due to covid,  so apart from Aurier hopefully not going down in the penalty area making stupid challenges we may actually get some crosses from the right hand side we showed were dangerous we can be if we pepper the box with crosses and through balls so its what we need to do Kane will be hungry after that Poor England performance?

Tough run of games coming up Mourinho should have the nounce and the team A B and If possible c to defeat these teams and define our season we should be right up there at Christmas if not on top Coys

Spurs. Confidence High.Win. Favourites. Should. Not words normally associated with Spurs in the last 12 months...but of course now Jose has had time to influence the Team,Squad and Club we are returning to the Poch good days. Voted for a Win and hopeXX ,expect it to be easy....

Sterling doubtless back to  full fitness after his international drop (withdrawal ooops yeh right) 

Hoping all our lads other than Doherty are back 100% or close to it, Son didnt fly to asia again did he??  

I see us taking this one by the odd goal in 5 with Lamela wiping out Eduardson or whatever their flash keeper is as he tries to play football in his own area and Erik doesnt take kindly to that , only way to deal with these flash keepers, actually challenge them! 

Absolutely huge game,city are so so but on there day they can beat anyone,spurs are going along nicely and are hard to beat,we are at home so I hope they have a go at city,a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world, we will do well to beat them,coys!!!!!!!

I notice the enigmatic Mike Dean will be the referee for this match. I must admit that it always seems to me he tries to make these kind of games all about him rather than the players. There will be an incident and he will try to steal the limelight with a highly disputed decision.Hopefully it will go in our favour but I must admit to my hopes fading slightly when I read of the appointment.

Does anybody else here feel that it may have helped scupper our chances a bit ?? Admittedly there's nothing in the stats below to suggest an anti-Spurs bias

In his career as a referee, Dean has so far overseen 70 Tottenham matches, of which the club have won 30, drawn 19 and lost 21, with the 52-year-old issuing 121 yellow cards to Spurs players, five of which have gone on to become a red card via a second booking. However, he has never given a Tottenham player a straight red card.

7 minutes ago, Borodin said:

I notice the enigmatic Mike Dean will be the referee for this match. I must admit that it always seems to me he tries to make these kind of games all about him rather than the players. There will be an incident and he will try to steal the limelight with a highly disputed decision.Hopefully it will go in our favour but I must admit to my hopes fading slightly when I read of the appointment.

Does anybody else here feel that it may have helped scupper our chances a bit ?? Admittedly there's nothing in the stats below to suggest an anti-Spurs bias

In his career as a referee, Dean has so far overseen 70 Tottenham matches, of which the club have won 30, drawn 19 and lost 21, with the 52-year-old issuing 121 yellow cards to Spurs players, five of which have gone on to become a red card via a second booking. However, he has never given a Tottenham player a straight red card.

Refresh my memory. Wasn't it Mike Dean who was reffing that infamous game against Chelsea a couple of seasons or so ago taking the names of some 9 Spurs players? My failing recall stops me from being certain, but I have had no time for Dean for sometime and I think it was that match that deepened my dislike of him. 

I agree with you absolutely. For me, Dean is a very poor referee for the reasons you give. He doesn't know the meaning of impartiality if it impedes his desire to take the glory. 

COYS 

15 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

Refresh my memory. Wasn't it Mike Dean who was reffing that infamous game against Chelsea a couple of seasons or so ago taking the names of some 9 Spurs players? My failing recall stops me from being certain, but I have had no time for Dean for sometime and I think it was that match that deepened my dislike of him. 

I agree with you absolutely. For me, Dean is a very poor referee for the reasons you give. He doesn't know the meaning of impartiality if it impedes his desire to take the glory. 

COYS 

Ironically enough the last time he refereed a Spurs win was when we beat City last season 2-0 but he has been in charge of us six more times since then.

Just seen this snippet of news regarding Son

Son Heung-min flew to London on a private jet provided by Tottenham about two hours after Korea’s friendly vs. Qatar today. The rest of the Korean players based in Europe will return to their respective clubs tomorrow.

Looks like Daniel is taking extra special care of his Korean diamond :16:

21 minutes ago, Borodin said:

Just seen this snippet of news regarding Son

Son Heung-min flew to London on a private jet provided by Tottenham about two hours after Korea’s friendly vs. Qatar today. The rest of the Korean players based in Europe will return to their respective clubs tomorrow.

Looks like Daniel is taking extra special care of his Korean diamond :16:

This is just one further sign that DL has committed the club to compete at the same level of the top European Clubs. In one respect, having faith that the manager and players were getting the support they needed from Enic ad DL was conspicuous by it's absence. Now seeing the support that JM is getting is reassuring. I am getting increasingly more confident that this season, which we were anticipating would be a building season will, in fact, become one where expectations will be genuinely  compete for trophies. 

COYS. 

1 minute ago, Jamesinashby said:

This is just one further sign that DL has committed the club to compete at the same level of the top European Clubs. In one respect, having faith that the manager and players were getting the support they needed from Enic ad DL was conspicuous by it's absence. Now seeing the support that JM is getting is reassuring. I am getting increasingly more confident that this season, which we were anticipating would be a building season will, in fact, become one where expectations will be genuinely  compete for trophies. 

COYS. 

It's common knowledge that Son's contract is up for discussion at the moment.General opinion is that Spurs don't want him to leave and the player is eager to stay. This is a big time in his career, he's 28 now and at the peak of his earning power. Levy knows that he cannot afford to be seen to 'haggle' over this player and he wants the deal settled quickly before the media start with rumours of Man Utd / Real Madrid / Barcelona etc etc.

From what I am able to gather on the internet both parties would like this matter resolved within the next seven days and there doesn't seem anything to hold it up. It would be a massive boost for the fans and club if we can not only secure 3 points this Saturday but also Son's signature.

1 minute ago, Borodin said:

It's common knowledge that Son's contract is up for discussion at the moment.General opinion is that Spurs don't want him to leave and the player is eager to stay. This is a big time in his career, he's 28 now and at the peak of his earning power. Levy knows that he cannot afford to be seen to 'haggle' over this player and he wants the deal settled quickly before the media start with rumours of Man Utd / Real Madrid / Barcelona etc etc.

From what I am able to gather on the internet both parties would like this matter resolved within the next seven days and there doesn't seem anything to hold it up. It would be a massive boost for the fans and club if we can not only secure 3 points this Saturday but also Son's signature.

Has he flown him back to sign the contract? Fingers crossed. 

I do believe Sonny loves the club passionately and I think he will sign. He is genuinely an honest, first rate guy and I don't think he will chase money. He wants Spurs to win trophies as much as Harry, and I cannot see them leaving the club while we are looking capable of becoming a top European club as we now are. 

COYS 

1 minute ago, Jamesinashby said:

Has he flown him back to sign the contract? Fingers crossed. 

I do believe Sonny loves the club passionately and I think he will sign. He is genuinely an honest, first rate guy and I don't think he will chase money. He wants Spurs to win trophies as much as Harry, and I cannot see them leaving the club while we are looking capable of becoming a top European club as we now are. 

COYS 

Second-hand mate I actually think Sonny is the most important player easily on par with kane. One the nicest hard-working humble players we have ever had, seems to be a bit below par lately maybe the contract thing is dragging out meaning to this sort it now

I watched Spain v Germany last night, and City's Torres was playing to the top of his game scoring a hat trick!!! He's going to take some marking if we are to win, he found so much space against Germany, hopefully we can put it down to poor marking.

COYS

14 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

I watched Spain v Germany last night, and City's Torres was playing to the top of his game scoring a hat trick!!! He's going to take some marking if we are to win, he found so much space against Germany, hopefully we can put it down to poor marking.

COYS

Hojbjerg is being given a sniff of one of Torres' football socks as we speak, so he has his scent ready for the match. Then José unleashes him on Saturday. Sorted.

1 minute ago, Borodin said:

Hojbjerg is being given a sniff of one of Torres' football socks as we speak, so he has his scent ready for the match. Then José unleashes him on Saturday. Sorted.

What these poor lads have to go through to Gee them up. I hadn't realised that being a professional footballer was so tough!! I will be kinder with my criticism of them in the future. Mind you, with my dementia problems, I may well forget.

COYS

1 hour ago, Borodin said:

is that why they dont play multi sex football.  hey Karen let us sniff your knickers just to put him on the scent 

If anyone was concerned why Reguilon didn't turn out for Spain last night it would appear the guy was rested and not suffering from an injury according to this article

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/11/18/mourinho-was-handed-major-unexpected-boost-last-night-as-sergio-reguilon-was-rested/

That's great news ahead of the City game and a huge relief for Spurs fans. Let's just hope the other players come through tonight's matches unscathed. :16:

Son posted a great pic of waiting for the private jet Spurs had sent to pick him up following the Qatar match

We need him firing on all cylinders this weekend and this gesture will go a long way to showing the guy just how much the club value him during the currently ongoing contract talks. Let's get this deal over the line ASAP !!

2 hours ago, LiamCOYS said:

haha! "Kin hell" I believe is the expression round here !

Correct about the expression which normally you have to PM Hastings for permission to use it as that is his favourite.

No I can't be cruel to a newbie - you don't need permission from him.

COYS