Neophyte

20/21 PL: Liverpool v TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Liverpool v Tottenham  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What's your result?

• Win
    • Lose
    • Draw

Winning at Anfield was always going to be a tall order.

Mou set the team to win on the counter. Bergwijn and Kane both missed shots that they bury 7 out of 10 times.

Live, learn, move on.

The season is still young and we are only 3 points back. Bury LC on the weekend and I'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, Neophyte said:

Mou set the team to win on the counter. Bergwijn and Kane both missed shots that they bury 7 out of 10 times.

Live, learn, move on.

The season is still young and we are only 3 points back. Bury LC on the weekend and I'll be fine.

Totally agree 100% mate. :16:

Not bad if we talk about chances to score. Very bad analyzing football. Parking the bus is not football anymore, this was 10 years ago. 

Trying to keep a draw was a huge mistake. In the last 15 mins we could have scored the winner, with one condition. To fucking play football.  

1 hour ago, Audere Est Facere said:

Title all over. Spursy are back.

Carabao it is then :-(

Is it really anyone here who believe Spurs could win the title? :)))) Come on, after the next 2-3 games we can be on 6th, then everyone here will get back to reality. 

We can fight for top 4. 

10 minutes ago, Mihai said:

Is it really anyone here who believe Spurs could win the title? :)))) Come on, after the next 2-3 games we can be on 6th, then everyone here will get back to reality. 

We can fight for top 4. 

I believe, because the league table tells me so. I've seen no one yet who I feel will run away with this title, including Liverpool. We can hardly be classed as parking the bus when we've scored 25 goals from 13 games. That's an average of nearly two a match and why we have the best goal difference figures.

The style relies on making the absolute most of what possession we do get and unfortunately we missed two golden opportunities to go 2-1 up.

Klopp knows we are serious contenders and are in this for the long haul. They got out of jail free tonight.

It is disappointing, but I‘m alright with the result. What frustrated me was the draw against Palace. Not to mention the match against West Ham and that is not only the fault of the players. Mourinho had a lot to do with it and also tonight. Silly decisions on the substitutes IMO and wrong decisions in the transfer policy. Again, Dorothy‘s reference was a goal against us. But it is as it is and I would really try him out in physical matches. Im sure he has more impact on the game as Lucas when playing as a right wing.

We lack the last consequence IMO and that distinguish us from real title contenders. I believe in the team but I often wonder if the lads believe in themselves? I exactly know what Mou means when he says, the lads are „nice guys“ and need to be bad motherfu**ers!“ Cause it is a mental blockage they need to lock up! Stevie as Harry, both seemed so nervous. Why? Their (bin dipper) poo smell too! Why so guarded?

I think we are lucky with Reggie and Emilio. But we need our weak spots strengthened. I think 3 positions need strengthening.

We need a promising leftfooted CB (Gvardiol) who is comfortable in that position. A small, versatile and creative playmaker with visions of the kinds of Modric who can create chances. To me Lovro Majer (the perfect replacement for Eriksen) or a bully like Vlasic (Barkley like). In other words, Croats! :D

We must confess that Bale was a fail investment, Lamelas too often injured and Lucas has no impact in physical matches. Stevie is a left wing therefore a sub for Sonny, why the board must come to the conclusion, we need a right wing. Im a fan of Neres, but if Ajax demands a fortune I rather let go of Bale and invest in Dybala who could also be used as ACM. He would give us opportunities on freekicks and shots From distance. Great shooter from outside

And we need the right attitude and mentality. All above from the manager. If you want the players to fight, let them penetrate the opponent instead telling them to sit at the back and counter like frightened school girls!

click click BOOM

3 hours ago, Borodin said:

I believe, because the league table tells me so. I've seen no one yet who I feel will run away with this title, including Liverpool. We can hardly be classed as parking the bus when we've scored 25 goals from 13 games. That's an average of nearly two a match and why we have the best goal difference figures.

The style relies on making the absolute most of what possession we do get and unfortunately we missed two golden opportunities to go 2-1 up.

Klopp knows we are serious contenders and are in this for the long haul. They got out of jail free tonight.

I agree, but stats deceive the facts sometimes. For example, we scored 7 times in only one match against a very poor prepared Hasenhüttl side.

Remember the 9:1 against Wigan. That made Defoe the best striker in the league. OMG what a game! :11:

A case of what should have and could have been.  

I agree with Borodin on Dele.  A substitute that late has nearly 0 chance of influencing a result.  

overall, we just lacked a little something tonight.  Scoring first or conceding first is absolutely huge with our sit and counter tactics.  Tonight they got a cheap bounce and got the first goal.  Steve’s miss was unfortunate, he did almost everything right and was about an inch off.  I think Kane’s header was far worse.  That’s a free one.

Leicester next and back to winning ways against another contender

7 hours ago, Neophyte said:

Live, learn, move on.

Yeah, for Bergwijn to miss twice on chances he should score 80% of the time is unfortunate. Kane scores his header probably 50% of the time as well. Toby being uncharacteristically out of position on the corner for Firminho's goal was another oddity.

I felt like Spurs were pretty good for most of the day and would have well deserved a point. This feels a lot like Newcastle or West Ham, where the game ended in a way so unfortunate to us and which doesn't really tell you how it went. 

I don't really agree with Jose that the better team lost, but perhaps he feels that way given that they executed the game plan. Aurier did a great job with Mane. Salah didn't hurt us. We created enough changes on the counter to score 3 or 4 goals if we take the chances.

These things happen even to title winning teams. On to the next

So many what, ifs and buts... simply just not our night... frustrating and heartbreaking to concede so late but I feel the majority of the game we kept good shape and made no real silly challenges... moment of maddness at the depths of the game let us down again

When Bergwijn missed his 2nd and Kane fluffed his header I just knew it wasn’t gonna happen. The whole world was cheering against us yesterday.

Even though we had hardly any possession , just frustrating to see us almost win it , probably could’ve walked away 3-1 but that’s football aye ...

Im just hoping this makes us hungrier, No doubt Liverpool will probably now stay at 1st the rest of the year but the title race is not over yet.. we still have to play again and I honestly believe we do have one of best teams in the league. Really felt both goals could’ve been easily avoided, but then we still managed to keep out their best efforts. Dier really needed to step up tonight, few silly mistakes but not a terrible game. Hoijberg and Gio played very well... he should’ve brang Tanguy  on for Lo celso though, Moura didn’t bring anything to the game..

Klopp really was a sore winner at full time, I love how Jose won’t concede defeat either...”the better team lost” . This game was there for the taking and we all know it . The fact we all feel so hurt by this loss shows how far we have come. But we need to continue to move a game at a time.. the actual race starts now ! 

Bring on Leicester!!! 

COYS

I think at the corner Kane was still dazed from the head clash, he didnt run full pelt after that either .

Dele was on way too late, as i said at the time if we concede Jose can blame Dele , if we score unless Dele scores its nowt to do with him, no win situation for Dele, no loss for Jose, shit management IMO on that

The first 30 minutes of second half was true Spurs, now I get we cant be that blase all game but certainly against lesser teams (Palace) we can be .

We are still there, we will get them back at WHL in Jan if footies still going then but last night was THE time to do them and again we failed.

we flatter to deceive when it truly matters (V Chelsea , V Liverpool ) to build gap at top, we robbed Man C lets be honest, (haha) but we are second for now, lets see if we stay there over Xmas  

If JM's game plan is to let the opposition have possession for 25% to 30% each game, it is starting to ring alarm bells to me.

It relies on us keeping clean sheets or at least only conceding once. The stats show in the last few games we are having very fewer shots at goal and mostly off target than our opponents. At the same time we are allowing the opponents to have twice as many if not more than us. Statistically that means our opponents start off as favourites. 

We have lost points because of this by conceding late goals - in Cup matches, it will mean being knocked out!! To me, there doesn't seem to be a plan B or an alternative approach - our opponents will know exactly how to approach each game. 

The other thing that stood out to me from last night was Mourinho's reaction - shades of the unsavoury side of his character that he displayed at Utd!

I am not suggesting that this season is crumbling, but we are not really seeing a consistency developing - it is more that other teams poor results are keeping us at the top. I did say these 7 games would define our season as it will the other top teams. With no one team showing consistency or signs of standing out from the rest, this is the time to be setting the bench mark and not hanging in by the skin of our teeth. 

I will leave you guys to delve in to the footballing side to determine what is happening and where we go from here. I will continue to look at the statistics and reserve my judgement on the Special One as the stats aren't encouraging enough for me. 

COYS 

think his game plan is to save our players we just play football for 25 minutes a match and try to score as many in that time and on the break/ dead balls for the other 70 minutes and hope the oppositions strikers cant hit a barn door. Im sure hes cleverer than that really but ....

I dont mind him being a bit nasty to Klopp same as I loved Jol going head to head with Wenger 

Just wish our players got nastier at times, Davies should have had a clear corner but didnt really claim for it just shrugged, cuddles TTA and ran back to defend , not really actions of a winner (no pop at Davies just picked that from the match ) 

36 minutes ago, Borodin said:

Bergwijn taking the heat over the Liverpool defeat. Hardly fair putting the blame all on his doorstep..

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/12/18/if-this-is-true-boils-my-blood-some-spurs-fans-react-to-bergwijns-heartbreaking-instagram-move/

Any one can make a mistake leading to conceding a goal, any one can miss a golden chance they would normally put away. I personally don't like this blame game on individuals. Too many are quick to praise but slow to forgive. 

COYS 

15 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

Any one can make a mistake leading to conceding a goal, any one can miss a golden chance they would normally put away. I personally don't like this blame game on individuals. Too many are quick to praise but slow to forgive. 

COYS 

Yes it’s ridiculous. The first chance he was put under pressure from the defender and the angle was very tight.

The second chance was slightly easier (IMO) but still not a sitter and he was only like an inch or two from perfect placement in the corner - so you could call that ‘unlucky’ as much as a bad miss. 

Of course I really wish he’d scored, but he is getting better and I think and has been a crucial part of the squad recently. 

On another subject, I really wish we’d had Lamela for some of that last game. He’s not everyone’s favourite player but has been excellent in our earlier matches snd his shit-house aggressive antics would have been perfect later on in that match. Plus he’s another creative player we’ve been missing in the midfield when we transition to attack. 

Why dont players challenge keeperswhen they come out the box? 

Spurs didnt then Alison was back up in position to stop Kanes lob and just now v Palace the same thing.

Even if a foul is given, go in firm and maybe injure them a bit and stop them recovering quickly certainly dont make it easy and comfortable for them

25 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

Why dont players challenge keeperswhen they come out the box? 

Spurs didnt then Alison was back up in position to stop Kanes lob and just now v Palace the same thing.

Even if a foul is given, go in firm and maybe injure them a bit and stop them recovering quickly certainly dont make it easy and comfortable for them

Agree. It’s like they fear touching them for a foul or summat. They just become (crap) outfield players when they’re outside the box! 

On 12/17/2020 at 12:15 AM, Spurfect said:

I agree, but stats deceive the facts sometimes. For example, we scored 7 times in only one match against a very poor prepared Hasenhüttl side.

Remember the 9:1 against Wigan. That made Defoe the best striker in the league. OMG what a game! :11:

we got 5 against the saints.....

On 12/16/2020 at 10:30 PM, KCspurs said:

Well, you probably know a lot more than me @Borodin but I wondered if Dele hasn't worked his way out of the doghouse and back into the team now? Jose names him on the bench for the biggest match of the year, and then brings him on when we need a critical goal. You could maybe read that as the manager's confidence in you increasing, even if there was nowhere to go but up. Hopefully that is the case and we will see good things from Dele yet.

Sadly, not being on the bench for the Leicester game speaks volumes.

I am totally baffled regarding JM's handling of Dele. For me it is too easy to put all the blame on the player. OK, he has fallen from the level he was at playing for Poch, but he has within him the ability a first class player. As a such he would have been wort a lot of money if it was necessary to transfer him. It is looking more and more likely he will leave in this next transfer window. If that happens, I cannot see DL being able to demand a decent price for him. It is pointless keeping him if he is not going to be played so we will probably have lost a tidy sum of money when he goes. 

There appears to have been some pretty poor 'man management' surrounding the handling of a potential top class player in my opinion. There is also the side that had we got him back to playing well, if we have a spate of injuries, a player who could have been a match winner filling in has been discarded. 

COYS 

33 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

Sadly, not being on the bench for the Leicester game speaks volumes.

I am totally baffled regarding JM's handling of Dele. For me it is too easy to put all the blame on the player. OK, he has fallen from the level he was at playing for Poch, but he has within him the ability a first class player. As a such he would have been wort a lot of money if it was necessary to transfer him. It is looking more and more likely he will leave in this next transfer window. If that happens, I cannot see DL being able to demand a decent price for him. It is pointless keeping him if he is not going to be played so we will probably have lost a tidy sum of money when he goes. 

There appears to have been some pretty poor 'man management' surrounding the handling of a potential top class player in my opinion. There is also the side that had we got him back to playing well, if we have a spate of injuries, a player who could have been a match winner filling in has been discarded. 

COYS 

Whilst I agree with some of your points I think we also have to take into consideration that as fans we are only 'outsiders looking in'. We watch TV and read the news about players and teams but they can hardly be considered reliable sources. I have absolutely no idea what Dele Alli is like as both a person or player. I can only judge by his performances on the pitch and so my opportunities to do so have been extremely limited recently.

Maybe he was reprimanded regarding his laziness by Mourinho and his response was not what the manager was looking for so he was dropped. What has happened since then remains behind the training and dressing room doors. For all we know Dele has behaved like some petulant child and refused to accept any criticism from Jose. As much as I appreciate the unpredictability of our manager I cannot believe he's gone on some kind of witch hunt in order to drive Alli from the club.

Look at Eriksen, no amount of 'man management' would have persuaded him to stay at Spurs.

Personally I think a loan move in January would be ideal for everyone concerned. Let the lad experience other training and coaching methods and see if they can get the old Dele back. There are obviously serious problems concerning his situation but I have a feeling that not all of it should be put on management's doorstep.