Spurs Web
Jamesinashby

Can we still consider a top 4 place as realistic?

We are currently 5th with Chelsea and City having a game in hand who can go above us! Never mind top 4, a 7th place could be a tough ask based on our last 5 games when we had a full squad to pick a team. 2 or 3 injuries to important players and the once rosy looking future may turn into a nightmare. 

What are your thoughts? Is this just a blip or are we in trouble? Has JM got it wrong and if so, what must he do to get us back to where we were 5 games ago? 

COYS 

Last week we would’ve said we finally have the quality and depth to win the league... but realistically I don’t think we’re gonna be able to catch Liverpool now, we’ve never been that side to fight back and make it close again. Our last two games where more important in relation to timing of the league than any other so far and we blew it ..

Top 4 finish is very realistic for us... I understand we haven’t played our best in our last 5 but we’ve managed to get over the line except for Liverpool and Leicester who are arguably two of the best teams in England this year. And I wouldn’t say we’ve been obliterated this season either.. we’re just not clinical enough in front of goal. Every game has had chances where we could’ve won the match and we just need to be more ruthless and score more bloody goals, especially players other than Kane and Son...

Hoping this is a blip and we can now go on to progress in the cups and finish hopefully top 3 

COYS

If City, Man Utd and Chelsea played and won their games in hand at this very moment in time  then you will have a top six after 14 matches of Liverpool (31) Man Utd (29) Leicester (27) Man City (26) Everton (26) Chelsea (25) Spurs (25)

Realistically I cannot see Liverpool faltering, Man Utd seem to have broken through their sticky patch but still appear somehow vulnerable, Leicester are not as good as their current league position would suggest. Man City are beginning to wake up, Everton looking solid and Chelsea very patchy and unpredictable. Unfortunately at the moment Spurs are looking the dodgiest of the lot and the team you would be least surprised at if they went on a losing streak. It breaks my heart to say that but that's how I feel after Sunday's game.

If I had to pick a top four based on current performance levels then it would be Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Everton.

I still consider a top four place realistic but unless we greatly improve our form over the next 6 matches then our credentials for claiming such a spot will catastrophically decline. The Leicester match performance was that of no more than a mediocre mid table side and the problems need addressing quickly if we are not to begin slipping down the table.

We are just over 35% through this season so there's a long, long way to go.The difference is that this Christmas we will see Klopp and OGS calm and confident, Rodgers, Ancelotti and Lampard happy and relatively satisfied, Pep menacing and threatening with our own Mourinho an extremely worried and concerned individual who has a mountain of problems to solve.

How different a Christmas this would be had we taken 6 pts from our last two games :12::26:

In reply to my own question, unless there is an immediate improvement, to somehow finish with a flourish and find those we need to catch losing form, it is closer to hope than a reality. 

Chelsea are now 3 - 0 up pushing us down to 6th. 5 games ago we were top clear by 2 points with the best GD. After only picking up 5 points out of 15 in the last 5 games, we no longer have control - we have to rely on those we are competing with to start dropping points and at the same time make sure we win. 

It is very likely that City with their game in hand and with their squad, they will move above us and that would push us to 7th. We need to catch 3 the 6 above us and City to make top 4. We have thrown away in the last 5 games the cushion we had. We need to immediately put in a decent run to give ourselves a chance for top 4. 

I personally don't think JM's tactics are the one's in this day and age and, like Leicester, the opponents will let us have possession in our own half and then close us down as soon as we get over the half way line.

For me, I will need to see us pick up 10 or 12 points in our next 5 games before I return to believing a top 4 place is within our grasp. 

COYS 

It’s 100% realistic and achievable. We’ve had a bad little run but there is all to play for in every competition including the league - where it remains so tight. 

I think all of the top teams can drop points to each other, plus there will be the odd strange result against a ‘lower’ team. 

I don’t see much consistency in performances or results - maybe Liverpool of course but even they are more vulnerable this season, we really should have beaten them FFS! 

So much depends on form and injuries - plus you (unfortunately) can’t discount the potential impact of COVID in several ways. 

I think top 4 is doable but unlikely given the strength of the league. With the exception of liverpool who are clearly step above rest it is pretty tight but JM tactics are to sit back and invite pressure so if Kane and son aren’t firing we’re asking a lot to keep stealing wins. Right now I think 6th is more likely so I’m hoping we can win a cup. If we don’t win a trophy Kane will be off imo, and you couldn’t blame him. 
Regardless we need to hope JM tactical nous can keep us in the top 4 hunt. Liverpool and Leicester are both better teams than spurs, it was the palace performance that was most disappointing 

14 minutes ago, Dazza1976 said:

I think top 4 is doable but unlikely given the strength of the league. With the exception of liverpool who are clearly step above rest it is pretty tight but JM tactics are to sit back and invite pressure so if Kane and son aren’t firing we’re asking a lot to keep stealing wins. Right now I think 6th is more likely so I’m hoping we can win a cup. If we don’t win a trophy Kane will be off imo, and you couldn’t blame him. 
Regardless we need to hope JM tactical nous can keep us in the top 4 hunt. Liverpool and Leicester are both better teams than spurs, it was the palace performance that was most disappointing 

We have been given a life line yesterday. Chelsea lost, Utd, Leicester & Southampton drew. As it stands right now, we are 8th!!!

As it is imperative to get 3 points today, we will find out whether we can play under pressure - will we cope and win or tighten up and drop points with a draw or, God forbid, lose. 

With only the last 5 EPL games to go on, it is anyone's guess what the result will be, especially as Wolves have lost their last 4 games. That said, it was against Liverpool, Aston Villa, Chelsea and away at Burnley. 

We, apart from being away to Villa and Wolves, have Fulham (H), Leeds (H) and Sheff Utd (A). With the squad we have, there is no excuse if we don't pick up a minimum of 11 points if not 14.

After this group of games we are at home to Liverpool, away at Brighton and at home to Chelsea - 3 tricky games.

By then we should have a good idea what to expect from the league and how important the 3 Cup competitions are going to be in getting some silverware. 

COYS 

4 hours ago, Dazza1976 said:

Are Liverpool a step ahead? We were rather unlucky to lose that game, notwithstanding the comments about our style of play.

I think it is safe to say that nobody can predict the top 4 or champions right now. It's going down to the wire.

3 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

Are Liverpool a step ahead? We were rather unlucky to lose that game, notwithstanding the comments about our style of play.

I think it is safe to say that nobody can predict the top 4 or champions right now. It's going down to the wire.

I think Liverpool are definitely the strongest team in the league. Appreciate losing at the death is unlucky and we did have chances to score 2nd goal but we didn’t, they did. 
the style of play is fine when you’re getting results, it’s when you stutter it grates a little. That’s why the palace game was a sucker punch. We really needed those 3 pts. 
I agree it will be nip and tuck all season, I do think we can sneak 4th but it will be hard and if I had to wager on it I’d say we will just miss out but I hope we can win a cup. I’m confident that if Jose can squeeze a final in he’ll get us over the line. 

17 minutes ago, KCspurs said:

Apart from Liverpool, I don't see anyone who's clearly better than us when you subtract our current loss of form. We absolutely should finish in the top 4

Have you taken into account City and Man Utd joining Liverpool. Then there are Chelsea, Leicester and Everton who are in the mix. The there are Wolves, Aston Villa and Southampton all doing reasonably well. 

I am not being negative by making this point - I am simply pointing out there are 9 other teams thinking along the lines of getting a top 4 finish and I wouldn't necessarily put us as a definite for a top 4 place. 

We have some winnable games coming up where we have to take 3 points from if we are to stay in the race. 

Just another way to look at it. I am trying to be pragmatic instead of hopeful - I've seen too many false dawns. 

COYS 

12 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

Have you taken into account City and Man Utd joining Liverpool. Then there are Chelsea, Leicester and Everton who are in the mix. The there are Wolves, Aston Villa and Southampton all doing reasonably well. 

I am not being negative by making this point - I am simply pointing out there are 9 other teams thinking along the lines of getting a top 4 finish and I wouldn't necessarily put us as a definite for a top 4 place. 

We have some winnable games coming up where we have to take 3 points from if we are to stay in the race. 

Just another way to look at it. I am trying to be pragmatic instead of hopeful - I've seen too many false dawns. 

COYS 

I understand that position completely, James. This year seems to be quite a strange one. No dominant team other than Liverpool (who are even not themselves due to the injuries), everyone else's form rising and falling with each new moon.

If anyone is to beat Liverpool for the league this year it will ahve to be one who can find a way to be consistent. The league might be won with fewer points than any year in recent memory so even certain draws could remain vital along the way.

Having looked at the next 6 games, my concern is growing. If we only pick up 10 to 12 points (based on our last 4 games it can't be ruled out), just what will be going through the minds of the likes of Harry and Sonny. Will they be getting theirs agents putting out feelers. 

Just writing a lot of 'positive' posts on here will have absolutely no affect on the teams performances. We live in the real world and have to look at the overall situation. We have to be unemotional and pragmatic. 

If JM doesn't deliver we could lose our 2 star match winners. That may well set us back 5 to 7 years! 

I have spent the last 5 seasons or so clinging on to what appeared to be a realistic hope. That hope was I would see Spurs reliving the Glory, Glory days. At my age, 5 to 7 years maybe all I have left!! I am losing faith I will ever relive them again. I am happy for all of those who only want positivity on here to keep making your positive posts. However, with this last 12 months and my 2 illnesses, I am losing the drive to follow you. 

COYS 

On the 7th of November, Man Utd started on a 9 match unbeaten run. They have won 7 and drawn 2. Prior to this run they were languishing towards the bottom of the table. 

During this period, THFC have won 3, drawn 3 and lost and lost 2. Prior to this, we were pushing for, and then made the top spot. 

How has this reversal of form happened? Oh yes! We have the worst record in the league for conceding goals in the last 10 minutes and for dropping points. On the other hand, Utd have the best record for scoring in the last 10 minutes and for a winning matches coming from behind. 

We beat Utd at Old Trafford 6 - 1 prior to this period started yet we lie 7th and they are 2nd!!!!!! 

It really is essential to make the top 4 to stand a chance of maintaining our top 4 status. To not do so and, God forbid, we finish 6th or 7th that would be calamitous and we could be back to pre Poch days. 

I don't know what has gone wrong with us, but there is no denying some thing has. We are moving into the area where we will run out of time, so our revival must begin with immediate affect to not put the players under pressure with must win games. 

All is not lost yet and a successful season is not beyond a squad of our strength. So, manager and players, get a grip - you owe it to the supporters. Make 2021 the year that we can look back on as the start of another era of Glory, Glory days - revive the 1960s when we were top dogs. 

COYS 

If we beat Fulham tonight then we shall go back up to third place on 29 points and with a better goal difference than Leicester and Everton. (Those 6 goals against Utd did us the world of good). We will have then played 16 games and the only people who can leapfrog us are City who will go to 32 pts if they beat Chelsea (away) and Brighton (Home). Aston Villa could hit 32 pts after 16 games if they beat Man Utd (away) and ourselves (home).

We are going to see about seven teams on between 26 and 29 points with Liverpool and United creating a gap of possibly six points maximum. It is vital that these two are not allowed to break away from the chasing pack. We have undoubtedly seen some strange results recently with the top clubs drawing or losing to bottom half opponents and I'm certain there will be a cartload of more "hiccups" before the season ends.

Consistency is everything and wins against Fulham, Leeds, Villa and Sheffield United would have us flying again with 38 pts. Then we can face Liverpool with confidence on Jan 28th. I honestly cannot see them dropping points tonight or next month unless it is at home to Man Utd on 17th.

This cannot be allowed to turn into a two horse race and our next four matches give us an ideal opportunity to let everyone know that Spurs are not going to go away. I want to see players get the chances they deserve (Vinicius for one) and the whole attitude changed to one of positivity and hard pressing. Our game plan against Leeds cannot be one of getting a one goal lead and sitting back or they will massacre us. It's going to be 'middle of the ring' blow for blow football but I'd rate our attacking prowess against theirs any day.

Let's see if we can get Son and Kane back in the scoring mood tonight with a comfortable 4-0.

Over the last 8 games I have regularly read, 'if we win' and 6 times we haven't. We were saying similar things when we were top to justify optimism. Yet we languish in 7th place. I would love to believe your optimism but if I do and it doesn't materialise, the hurt goes deeper. 

I was very optimistic when we put that run of 11 games together. But from what I have seen since, I have lost faith. I have reached the state where I need more tangible evidence before I allow myself to believe JM can get this team winning again. 

I am not being disloyal nor am I having a pop at the manager or the team - as you know I try to be even handed or neutral. But to start simply thinking that, just because we are still in the mix with the other 9 or so, we are in with an equal chance, I just can't accept that. Yes, we are not out of it, but I just can't put us as among the favourites to beat the others. 

I desperately need evidence for my spirits to be raised to where they were when we were top. I shall reassess how I feel after the next 6 games. If we get 18 to 20 points out of the 24, I may well start believing. If we don't I shall remain in my numb state dreading matches. 

COYS 

15 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

Over the last 8 games I have regularly read, 'if we win' and 6 times we haven't. We were saying similar things when we were top to justify optimism. Yet we languish in 7th place. I would love to believe your optimism but if I do and it doesn't materialise, the hurt goes deeper. 

I was very optimistic when we put that run of 11 games together. But from what I have seen since, I have lost faith. I have reached the state where I need more tangible evidence before I allow myself to believe JM can get this team winning again. 

I am not being disloyal nor am I having a pop at the manager or the team - as you know I try to be even handed or neutral. But to start simply thinking that, just because we are still in the mix with the other 9 or so, we are in with an equal chance, I just can't accept that. Yes, we are not out of it, but I just can't put us as among the favourites to beat the others. 

I desperately need evidence for my spirits to be raised to where they were when we were top. I shall reassess how I feel after the next 6 games. If we get 18 to 20 points out of the 24, I may well start believing. If we don't I shall remain in my numb state dreading matches. 

COYS 

Its catching !!! 

On 12/30/2020 at 8:00 PM, Jamesinashby said:

COYS 

I agree, there are no winnable games for us at the moment because we’re playing terribly. Jose needs to get the team back to winning ways or confidence will be shot and we will slide down league. 
there are at least 10 teams with shot at top 4, including West Ham! What is concerning me is the lack of possession, we’re allowing teams to dictate games to us. It’s fine when we are rapier like in counter attack but forwards can’t keep living off scraps, and once they lose confidence all we will be left with is rearguard actions for 90 mins. 

I respect Jose tactical nous but we do need to have more possession in games, even if we are being defensive we still need the bloody ball!

this is a huge season for the club, fingers crossed we beat Leeds and don’t get hammered!

Totally unexpected, but this season has brought winning the title into the reach of 5 or 6 teams. Another thing that is helping the wannabees is that most of the rivals are having injuries to their match winners, they all are struggling to take their chances in front of goals and dropping points in matches they are dominating, they are all making defensive errors giving away goals. 

Perhaps City, Utd and Leicester are the 3 teams that currently seem to be the more consistent of late, but they haven't pulled away and we still have to play them. Now is the time for JM to prove he is as good as he is being proclaimed. In our next 6 games we play Liverpool, (h) Chelsea, (h) City (a) and West Ham (a). 

If he is the Messiah many claim he is, these 5 days will be a good indication. 

Fingers crossed everyone. 

COYS 

Even with their recent results no sensible football fan would have predicted a Burnley win over Liverpool. Another underdog win over a favourite.

Who knows what happens in the weeks ahead. Weeks ago I would have given us next to no chance against Liverpool, now I think it's 50/50.

Harry and I (A new saying of mine) have faith in our World Class Manager and if it is possible to drag this squad into 4th Place Jose is the man to do it. If our competitors keep blowing up we have a chance to sneak into Top 4. City,Utd,Liverpool, ?????? Chelsea, Leicster,,Everton over achieving so far this season. 

It took Klopp years to influence Liverpool both within the Club and the squad. Success takes time to establish and Spurs fans have to have patience.