Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Borodin

Toothless Not Ruthless...

After over 50 years of supporting this wonderful football club I don't recognise my team anymore. I am watching a side who take a first minute lead over a team without a recognised striker and in the lower half of the league. Normally Spurs would push on and try and secure a second goal quickly in order to kill the opposition off and then maybe get one or two more as their confidence waned.

Instead the decision is made to try and stoically defend that slender lead for 89 minutes in the hope that the odd chance will present itself and we can catch them on the break. Our main striker is left to try and win free kicks whenever and wherever he can in order to give the defence a chance to take a break. He and Son try and live off the scraps fed to them by a beleagured midfield and pose little threat.

The one player trying to create genuine scoring opportunities is also the guy who gave us that unexpected first minute lead. He appears to be fit and has just won us another free kick by pushing forward. His reward is a 70th minute substitution.

It's not just the Wolves game though, this approach of Mourinho's is doomed to failure particularly when you score early on. It may work with an opening goal deep into the second half which you only have to defend for about 20 minutes maximum to secure the 3 points but to try and do that after just 58 seconds is bordering on lunacy.

I truly believed he was the one to bring us some silverware and he may achieve that. In years to come people will only read the history books and see perhaps our name on a cup or two but for those of us who had to witness how such a 'success' was achieved it will hardly be something to look back on with warm memories.

We have had teams on the ropes this season and then calmly stepped back and allowed them to recover. The danger is that when you have been trying to keep a lead for such a long time if the other team equalise you have completely lost your momentum to try and get a winner whereas they are totally motivated and hungry to attack you again while there's still time.

I am not interested in what the 'Special One' has to say tonight in order to excuse yet another pitiful performance and doubt I shall consider putting myself through the pain of watching them play Fulham on Wednesday. This is not Tottenham Hotspur on the pitch and that's who I support, not these "Mourinho  Robots" that lack fight, ambition, ruthlessness, desire and tenacity.

Jose has broken my spirit and my heart with how he is trying to achieve success at my beloved club. We have players who if 'unleashed' have the talent and creativity to beat anybody in this league but instead they wait to get maybe one or two chances a match whilst the defence is pummelled. Once again a wonderful collection of players is being squandered.

Sad times and I honestly cannot remember ever feeling this ashamed about the negativity in the team's method of play.

Night all from a very crestfallen Borodin. :12:

Borodin...now I am getting worried. When you as a consistently sensible poster start sprouting the same comments criticising Jose for not playing the team the way you want and expect it to be played. Wolves are a goodish team, Kane,Son and others did not play well and recent results against Liverpool and Leicester were unlucky for us.

Most of our recent games we have significant players who do not perform to their highest standard. Consistency always has been our problem. We are still 5th.

When we were Premiership leaders a few weeks ago we had a goal difference of plus ??12. In the last 20 years(other than the Poch 4 years) we used to have a goal diffence of 0. 

Even the established Top 4 are having a season of very indifferent results with the exception of Liverpool who are consistent.

even in the Poch years I used to hear the comment of 70 per cent possession 3 shots are target the whole game. No Premiership games are easy and unlikely unfair results are common in the last 2 seasons.

Take heart my friend, look for the positives and look at the clubs that really are disappointing their fans. Things ain't as bad as many feel on the forum.

The problem is starting with jm blaming the players ,,,somewhere along the journey jm has to realise he coaches the players to play to his negative philosophy.

at best you could say he is playing this way cos our centre backs are very very slow ..so he condensed the defence to play on the break ,,but Kane and sonny are back aswell and we play with 2 defensive midfielders that are not forward thinking ( or box to box midfielders) Ndombele is not a number 10 he is a central midfielder ( he is playing alone ) ,,,the system is we don’t really have one ,,,it’s all on what the other side are doing ,,,if they do this we do that ,if they do that we do this ,,,what about if we do this they have to change ,,,and if we do this they will have to change ???

but we are stuck with him mr levy will not cut his nose off to spite his face .

we might get to the elf cup final ,,but we won’t beat either Man Utd ,,or Man City playing defensive football ,,,after beating them in the league .

1 hour ago, Asc3 said:

Borodin...now I am getting worried. Take heart my friend, look for the positives and look at the clubs that really are disappointing their fans. Things ain't as bad as many feel on the forum.

Maybe my emotions took over but this isn't about performance it's about the style of play. It's negative, lacks ambition and awful to watch.

José now says he told them to press forward and that he too was disappointed with their lack of desire to attack more. I find that difficult to believe.

Everyone was expecting a possible rout after the first goal but instead we simply tried to hold on to our slender advantage...fatal.

Maybe I'll cheer up but it will take an emphatic win against Fulham (at least 3-0) to convince me our intentions are honourable.

Also asc3 you did make similar comments about pochs time in charge ,,and others that wanted a more tactical coach ,,we have one now ,,that is tactically predictable in his approach,,,no X factor 

but we are stuck with him ,,,the acid test will be against Fulham ,,if we play like we did last night we will lose 

4 hours ago, Asc3 said:

Borodin...now I am getting worried. When you as a consistently sensible poster start sprouting the same comments criticising Jose for not playing the team the way you want and expect it to be played. Wolves are a goodish team, Kane,Son and others did not play well and recent results against Liverpool and Leicester were unlucky for us.

Most of our recent games we have significant players who do not perform to their highest standard. Consistency always has been our problem. We are still 5th.

When we were Premiership leaders a few weeks ago we had a goal difference of plus ??12. In the last 20 years(other than the Poch 4 years) we used to have a goal diffence of 0. 

Even the established Top 4 are having a season of very indifferent results with the exception of Liverpool who are consistent.

even in the Poch years I used to hear the comment of 70 per cent possession 3 shots are target the whole game. No Premiership games are easy and unlikely unfair results are common in the last 2 seasons.

Take heart my friend, look for the positives and look at the clubs that really are disappointing their fans. Things ain't as bad as many feel on the forum.

The thing that fascinates me the most about this forum is the bi-polar views when we watch the same match but somehow come up with opposing views. To me it shows our opinions tend to be underlined by emotions making it difficult to be objective for all of us. That is certainly true to some extent with me.  Oddly enough, I think that at times I sometimes fall in the middle which is why I am on and off the fence - I sometimes do accept others opinions making more sense than mine. 

As you know I often base my opinions on statistics and much of yours make sense. However, I don't follow how they relate to whether the players have been perceived as playing well or not. As I put in a post yesterday, I didn't see Kane as having a poor game. My reading was he was being made to play too deeply instead of getting the ball to him in or around the box. The only time he was in that position the ball wasn't passed to him. 

Yes, I agree that at times there are players not playing to their best. I don't really accept that it is entirely their fault and that we can't look at JM's game plan. I think there is an argument he is restricting their talents by getting them to play to a defensive pattern when many of those players are offensive attacking players. If JM is not going to play them to their strengths, I don't see how we can make comparisons. 

All the teams had an indifferent start to the season. Liverpool, Utd and City appear to have become more consistent and are now, seemingly, moving forward. Spurs had a better start and, to me, are seemingly moving backwards. 

We have 2 camps on here. One is blaming the players the other is blaming JM's style of play. I suppose in reality. it may  also be a bit of both. At the end of the day it is the managers job to sort it. 18 months from now we we will have some kind of answer. If we win things the 'I love JM' will have the bragging rights. If we flounder and JM leaves having been unsuccessful, the 2 camps are likely to keep fighting. 

As it happens l, am in the JM must go camp. I was horrified when he arrived but gave him my support. When we were top of the league with the best goal difference and 2 points ahead of Liverpool, I even admitted on here I was wrong and fully accepted him. However, as it is appearing to be one of Borodin's 'false dawns', I have lost patience with him. I am not on the fence, but wholly against him. I see some of his traits returning as he doesn't appear to be able to deal with adversity. I worry he will lose the dressing room as he did at Utd. 

If at the end of the season he proves me wrong and we have a top 4 finish and some silverware, I will happily eat bucket loads of humble pie and accept unequivocally all the gloating and brick bat's thrown in my direction. 

COYS 

I was listening to Talksport earlier (I know, I know .......) and a Chelsea fan called in. He said that they played the same way under JM and since then they have tried different managers and formulae, but by far the best times were under JM - continuously competing for trophies and winning trophies.

I was dead against JM coming in, as I did not like him as a person. However, I am converted and really do have a lot of confidence in him. I am sure he will bring us success.  Wolves are not a bad side and a point would have been acceptable, but the fact is that we could and should have won. JM's tactics had us leading for 86 minutes. He cannot be blamed for the way the goal was conceded. 

Some results this season:-

Liverpool 1 WBA 1,  Manure 1 Spurs 6,  the Arse 3 Chelsea 1.

It's mad!  We just need to stay in the hunt until JM can sort out our nervousness when defending a lead and we will be fine.  We were 3 minutes away from a competent away win last night.

I have seen comments about JM being past it and old fashioned. That (in my opinion) is bollocks. He works with what he has. I expect ins and outs in January and then we will see what's what.

14 hours ago, Borodin said:

After over 50 years of supporting this wonderful football club I don't recognise my team anymore. I am watching a side who take a first minute lead over a team without a recognised striker and in the lower half of the league. Normally Spurs would push on and try and secure a second goal quickly in order to kill the opposition off and then maybe get one or two more as their confidence waned.

Instead the decision is made to try and stoically defend that slender lead for 89 minutes in the hope that the odd chance will present itself and we can catch them on the break. Our main striker is left to try and win free kicks whenever and wherever he can in order to give the defence a chance to take a break. He and Son try and live off the scraps fed to them by a beleagured midfield and pose little threat.

The one player trying to create genuine scoring opportunities is also the guy who gave us that unexpected first minute lead. He appears to be fit and has just won us another free kick by pushing forward. His reward is a 70th minute substitution.

It's not just the Wolves game though, this approach of Mourinho's is doomed to failure particularly when you score early on. It may work with an opening goal deep into the second half which you only have to defend for about 20 minutes maximum to secure the 3 points but to try and do that after just 58 seconds is bordering on lunacy.

I truly believed he was the one to bring us some silverware and he may achieve that. In years to come people will only read the history books and see perhaps our name on a cup or two but for those of us who had to witness how such a 'success' was achieved it will hardly be something to look back on with warm memories.

We have had teams on the ropes this season and then calmly stepped back and allowed them to recover. The danger is that when you have been trying to keep a lead for such a long time if the other team equalise you have completely lost your momentum to try and get a winner whereas they are totally motivated and hungry to attack you again while there's still time.

I am not interested in what the 'Special One' has to say tonight in order to excuse yet another pitiful performance and doubt I shall consider putting myself through the pain of watching them play Fulham on Wednesday. This is not Tottenham Hotspur on the pitch and that's who I support, not these "Mourinho  Robots" that lack fight, ambition, ruthlessness, desire and tenacity.

Jose has broken my spirit and my heart with how he is trying to achieve success at my beloved club. We have players who if 'unleashed' have the talent and creativity to beat anybody in this league but instead they wait to get maybe one or two chances a match whilst the defence is pummelled. Once again a wonderful collection of players is being squandered.

Sad times and I honestly cannot remember ever feeling this ashamed about the negativity in the team's method of play.

Night all from a very crestfallen Borodin. :12:

I agree totally with all you say, Borodin a good post. It also saves me typing out all you have said. 

We are the opposite of ruthless and appear toothless with no dentures to help us out. 

COYS 

2 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

We have 2 camps on here. One is blaming the players the other is blaming JM's style of play. I suppose in reality. it may  also be a bit of both. At the end of the day it is the managers job to sort it. 18 months from now we we will have some kind of answer. If we win things the 'I love JM' will have the bragging rights. If we flounder and JM leaves having been unsuccessful, the 2 camps are likely to keep fighting. 

Good post James, although I think there are perhaps 3 camps. I don't solely blame the manager or the players. In fact I don't blame anyone in a general sense. It needs time. The manager is good enough and the players are largely good enough. It is a question of combining the two on a consistent basis.

24 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

I agree totally with all you say, Borodin a good post. It also saves me typing out all you have said. 

We are the opposite of ruthless and appear toothless with no dentures to help us out. 

COYS 

Maybe I should have had the title as "We Suck !"

:7:

Lol I am in the camp ,,were I want jm to sort it out and win everything 

but imagine the squad watching back the match ( with jm ) and jm says we scored why defend ???? Kane says that’s what you told us to do ...lol what would his reply be ???

Feeling a bit more cheerful this morning but then I looked at the league table. If Aston Villa win their two games in hand and City win theirs then we go down to 7th spot. When you consider our position going into the LIverpool match then it's disheartening to say the least.

My primary concern is that Kane and Son are no longer the threat they used to be and surely as hungry strikers they are frustrated at the lack of service to give them scoring opportunities. If this doesn't prove to be a trophy/title winning formula then I cannot see either of them wanting to stay next season. I watched yesterday at the number of times we had a free kick and simply played the ball backwards trying to once more laboriously build up an attack from the back line. It's inexcusable.

Where is Vinicius  ? We have a squad naturally capable of creating and converting chances and yet we squander that talent by suffocating the attack in a blanket of sideways and backward passes. We need incisive and defence splitting passes that Hojbjerg and others are perfectly capable of providing but instead we just dilly dally.

For Jose to try and pretend that he shares the fans frustrations at the way the team is not pressing forward is an insult to my intelligence and everyone else's. Unless he proves that he's upset by dramatically changing the team and formation against Fulham then I will not be convinced.

So many missed opportunities already and the season nearly half way through. I cannot watch much more of this dross and find it heartbreaking to see Kane and Son feeding off scraps from a table rich in talented players capable of keeping them happily fed with goals.

I have not checked this point in recent games but would I be possibly correct in saying that Clubs have Sussed out that Son tends to score breakaway goals from very deep positions and are now marking him out of the game.

Harry Kane is applauded for his increasing important skill of providing the killer pass for others to score. When he is up front he does not always receive decisive passes and he becomes inaffective. A Top European player but he can go missing in games.

Neutralise Son and Harry and it then looks like you are hoping for a goal from other Spurs players and it may look like you are sitting back and hoping for a goal......and we probably are. This could account for our inconsistency and continued Spursy performances.

i don't believe Jose can send out the team with such negative thoughts. He has a major job rebuilding squad morale and establishing his first team as well as rebuilding individual players careers. I would accept that some of his ideas don't work as players performance do not work in very game. 

If we were top of the premiership Jose would not be receiving such unfair criticism but unfortunately we aren't good enough for that at the moment. Jose may not be perfect but I'm do not see who could possibly replace him at the moment.

Some players are progressing under his management but I am not sure his detractors would even acknowledge that.

55 minutes ago, Asc3 said:

I have not checked this point in recent games but would I be possibly correct in saying that Clubs have Sussed out that Son tends to score breakaway goals from very deep positions and are now marking him out of the game.

Harry Kane is applauded for his increasing important skill of providing the killer pass for others to score. When he is up front he does not always receive decisive passes and he becomes inaffective. A Top European player but he can go missing in games.

Neutralise Son and Harry and it then looks like you are hoping for a goal from other Spurs players and it may look like you are sitting back and hoping for a goal......and we probably are. This could account for our inconsistency and continued Spursy performances.

i don't believe Jose can send out the team with such negative thoughts. He has a major job rebuilding squad morale and establishing his first team as well as rebuilding individual players careers. I would accept that some of his ideas don't work as players performance do not work in very game. 

If we were top of the premiership Jose would not be receiving such unfair criticism but unfortunately we aren't good enough for that at the moment. Jose may not be perfect but I'm do not see who could possibly replace him at the moment.

Some players are progressing under his management but I am not sure his detractors would even acknowledge that.

Crikey, Asc. Having read this post, I had to recheck it was from you.

This is the first crack of disillusionment I have noticed in your posts this year.

I think if push comes to shove, everyone on here would be over the moon with JM if he provided the level of success we all crave for. 

The start of the season saw a wave of optimism - especially when, at one point, we were top of the league, 2 points ahead of Liverpool and had had the best GD. It was way more than we were expecting and, quite understandably, we were seduced into believing that we may even be among the challengers for the title and not simply looking to scrape 4th place. 

The slide from top to 7th was equally totally unexplainable and, I think, enhanced our feelings of disappointment. Obviously you are right in saying Jose would not be getting criticism if we were still top, but we are not. To state it is unfair criticism, I feel is a tad subjective. I feel that the results in the last 4 games  provides more evidence against the systems he is sticking to than supporting it and justifies being into consideration as well as looking at the players. 

Some players are, at times, showing they are progressing and get praised on here. The big but is, that it is not consistently and in every game. It raises the question why and answers are not readily available. Some blame the players while others blame JM's handling of them or his tactics. 

As for his detractors, if we were still top instead of 1 win, 3 draws and 2 losses in our last 6 EPL games - well he wouldn't be getting the criticism he is currently getting

The only way we will know whether he has been successful or pretty much a failure will only be known at the end of the season. Until then he will be judged one way or the other after each game and how he is perceived in handling the players. 

This discussion will remain a main topic of conversation throughout the season with each camp claiming to be right based on the last result. 

By the way, I have put in a couple or more of my posts recently that clubs have sussed out Kane and Son and have devised game plans to combat them. 

COYS 

Look asc and James teams knew about Kane and sonny about 5 years ago ,,it’s not new ,,,it’s how you deploy your weapons Kane dropping off into midfield is not the answer when sonny has 2 fellas all over him like a rash .

jm has to think outside off his box ( which I think he will do) maybe time for those 2 to stay upfront and stay upfront ,,,the centre backs can’t go forward if the keeper gets the ball there is no easy walk out to the halfway line ,,,as Liverpool did ,,make defenders defend ( as Fulham did against Liverpool) .

look jm had the Madrid white flag against Barca many years ago cos he was worried about the other side ,,,duck the other side make them worried about your team coys 

I have just returned from my walk.

During this time, I was mulling over the threads I have been reading today. Suddenly a frightening thought came into my head which needs us desperately to become ruthless. WE HAVE TO START WINNING. 

If by the  time we have played these next 6 EPL games we are still languishing out of the top 6 and not still in the League Cup, we will be in shit Street. Simply sacking JM is a not an option. There is no fantastic manager out there who can be brought in to get us winning most of our remaining matches.

That means, at the very least, JM has to win us at least 1 Cup and convince the team he can win the league next season. If the season ends without any silverware and we are not in the top 4, it will become a real risk we will lose Harry and Sonny who are irreplaceable. It is unlikely we could attract top class payers not being in the CL. Whether JM stays or we get a new manager, we will be in a worse state then when JM took over.

It has made me very worried and I shall have to accept I have no option but to swop camps and reluctantly join the the Jose fan club. We have to finish top 4 plus, probably, also with a cup. So Jose has to get the team winning. The option of him not turning this season around is frightening. We could be back to pre Poch days - just a top 10 team. 

COYS 

42 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

Look asc and James teams knew about Kane and sonny about 5 years ago ,,it’s not new ,,,it’s how you deploy your weapons Kane dropping off into midfield is not the answer when sonny has 2 fellas all over him like a rash .

jm has to think outside off his box ( which I think he will do) maybe time for those 2 to stay upfront and stay upfront ,,,the centre backs can’t go forward if the keeper gets the ball there is no easy walk out to the halfway line ,,,as Liverpool did ,,make defenders defend ( as Fulham did against Liverpool) .

look jm had the Madrid white flag against Barca many years ago cos he was worried about the other side ,,,duck the other side make them worried about your team coys 

You don't have to include me, M8.

I was only pointing out to Asc that I have been pointing out on here that teams knew how they needed to defend to cope with those 2 players. 

COYS 

Here is an interesting bit I saw posted elsewhere:

Spurs Goals Conceded: 15

Open Play = 3 (Lowest in the PL)
Counter attack = 0 (Lowest in the PL)
Set Piece = 6 (Joint 3rd highest in the PL)
Penalty = 4 (Joint 2nd highest in the PL)
Own goal = 2 (Joint 2nd highest in the PL)

Doesn't it seem like we are being killed by mental errors, errors in discipline and focus more than anything else? I'm sure I am not the only one who gulps when we have to defend a corner!

1 hour ago, Jamesinashby said:

Crikey, Asc. Having read this post, I had to recheck it was from you.

This is the first crack of disillusionment I have noticed in your posts this year.

I think if push comes to shove, everyone on here would be over the moon with JM if he provided the level of success we all crave for. 

The start of the season saw a wave of optimism - especially when, at one point, we were top of the league, 2 points ahead of Liverpool and had had the best GD. It was way more than we were expecting and, quite understandably, we were seduced into believing that we may even be among the challengers for the title and not simply looking to scrape 4th place. 

The slide from top to 7th was equally totally unexplainable and, I think, enhanced our feelings of disappointment. Obviously you are right in saying Jose would not be getting criticism if we were still top, but we are not. To state it is unfair criticism, I feel is a tad subjective. I feel that the results in the last 4 games  provides more evidence against the systems he is sticking to than supporting it and justifies being into consideration as well as looking at the players. 

Some players are, at times, showing they are progressing and get praised on here. The big but is, that it is not consistently and in every game. It raises the question why and answers are not readily available. Some blame the players while others blame JM's handling of them or his tactics. 

As for his detractors, if we were still top instead of 1 win, 3 draws and 2 losses in our last 6 EPL games - well he wouldn't be getting the criticism he is currently getting

The only way we will know whether he has been successful or pretty much a failure will only be known at the end of the season. Until then he will be judged one way or the other after each game and how he is perceived in handling the players. 

This discussion will remain a main topic of conversation throughout the season with each camp claiming to be right based on the last result. 

By the way, I have put in a couple or more of my posts recently that clubs have sussed out Kane and Son and have devised game plans to combat them. 

COYS 

James, 

if you agree teams are tactically combatting Son and Harry and seeing as they are our outstanding goalscoring and assist players how are we supposed to play to the standards set by the likes of Liverpool. Who else  can score 20 goals a season??

i often don't want to post because there is so much negative opinion. Ie: Spurs will lose their next 5 games!! Rubbishly unlikely but not commented on by other posters.

Jose states he did not plan to sit out a 1-0 Result and told the players so at halftime. How can Posters know more than him and state the opposite. Jose is lying????

Amongst recent disappointing results:

Liverpool 2-1 score a late goal...we could  have scored.  Leicester 2-0. Aurier stupid Penalty and Sissoko didn't defend a header resulting in Own Goal. Wolves 1-1. A very good team and 4 minutes from a Win. We could have bee 7-9 points better off and still Top.

2 or 3 games results rarely defines a season and constant references to parking the bus, defending a 1-0 lead are rediculous. ALL Teams defend a lead in the last 10 minutes of a game and the game is based on the principle of scoring and defending.

Spurs fans revert to criticising Jose whenever they have a disappointing result it makes a mockery of their premiership opponents who whatever their league position are often stiffer opposition than they are expected to be. There are so many variables in a football game that can affect the result I just wish some Spurs fans would acknowledge this.

i constantly state I think Jose will eventually leave  under a cloud but in these early stages of his management of Spurs he is doing OK and probably as well as could be expected. Never mind his previous abrasive personality he should be judged on his overall performance and not 2 or 3 result against quality opposition.

i doubt Spurs owners have the slightest negative thought over their outstanding appointment.

11 minutes ago, KCspurs said:

Here is an interesting bit I saw posted elsewhere:

Spurs Goals Conceded: 15

Open Play = 3 (Lowest in the PL)
Counter attack = 0 (Lowest in the PL)
Set Piece = 6 (Joint 3rd highest in the PL)
Penalty = 4 (Joint 2nd highest in the PL)
Own goal = 2 (Joint 2nd highest in the PL)

Doesn't it seem like we are being killed by mental errors, errors in discipline and focus more than anything else? I'm sure I am not the only one who gulps when we have to defend a corner!

It certainly does, KC. 

It sort of suggests why JM has been setting up so defensively as he is aware of these stats. 

One point, because we do sit so deep it means we allow the opponents much more time spent in our box. This increases the chance of giving away penalties and deflecting opponents shots into the goal. 

Of course, there is another option which is to try being more attack minded - if we can score 2 or 3 goals, conceding one is less of a problem. 

COYS 

28 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

I have just returned from my walk.

During this time, I was mulling over the threads I have been reading today. Suddenly a frightening thought came into my head which needs us desperately to become ruthless. WE HAVE TO START WINNING. 

If by the  time we have played these next 6 EPL games we are still languishing out of the top 6 and not still in the League Cup, we will be in shit Street. Simply sacking JM is a not an option. There is no fantastic manager out there who can be brought in to get us winning most of our remaining matches.

That means, at the very least, JM has to win us at least 1 Cup and convince the team he can win the league next season. If the season ends without any silverware and we are not in the top 4, it will become a real risk we will lose Harry and Sonny who are irreplaceable. It is unlikely we could attract top class payers not being in the CL. Whether JM stays or we get a new manager, we will be in a worse state then when JM took over.

It has made me very worried and I shall have to accept I have no option but to swop camps and reluctantly join the the Jose fan club. We have to finish top 4 plus, probably, also with a cup. So Jose has to get the team winning. The option of him not turning this season around is frightening. We could be back to pre Poch days - just a top 10 team. 

COYS 

I think Son would be likely to leave anyway. He has proved he is a very attractive player to top European teams who require a quality striker. Harry doesn't seem to attract foreign interest despite his goalscoring record. Both will only satisfy their egos to gain Top Honours by going elsewhere. Both probably deserve more than a Carboa Cup medal. The remainder of the Spurs team should have aspirations for Top 4 and a Cup??. Of course Jose's future transfer dealings after Harry and Son may upgrade the squad to European Class.

No doom and gloom here...brighter days ahead.

9 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

It certainly does, KC. 

It sort of suggests why JM has been setting up so defensively as he is aware of these stats. 

One point, because we do sit so deep it means we allow the opponents much more time spent in our box. This increases the chance of giving away penalties and deflecting opponents shots into the goal. 

Of course, there is another option which is to try being more attack minded - if we can score 2 or 3 goals, conceding one is less of a problem. 

COYS 

I can't help but wonder if our midfield fluency is the biggest issue here. We don't seem to have two players who link well together there. Ndombele was probably our best player yesterday but he was taken off with 20 minutes to go. Sissoko doesn't offer much help going forward. Lo Celso won't be seen for a while but didn't seem to mesh well with Ndombele. We really do need someone to connect things with the forwards better. It feels not like a matter of parking the bus but of not being able to get out of our own end even when we'd like to be.

It'd be nice if we had 2 that could go the full 90 minutes every time as well