Spurs Web
Mr8ball

20/21 PL: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Fulham

14 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

Nothing is routine in Covid times for world class managers with a limited budget 

Mr8ball what a lot of Spurs fans won't acknowledge is 12 months ago, Spurs the club (Players) were in disarray, league position 14th and the previously successful Manager was sacked.

1st, 3rd and now 6th and a Cup Final is progress on that in his first full season......I now rest my case M'Lud.

We ended up 6th overall ,,,poch was top ,,2nd ,,3rd on many occasions champs league final ,,league cup final ,,4 semi finals ,,top 4 what 4 out off 5 seasons not bad for a donkey,,and paid 6 mill a year less cool 

If ya go to Harrods to buy scrabble it’s scrabble,,,it just costs twice as much for the same game ,,,jm is great but he needs to change his tactics,,,that’s all ,,,

you hated poch simple ,,,but the football was much better in the 1 st 4 and half years ,,than this ,,I would rather venables ,,Redknapp,,,poch ,,Steven Gerard,

22 minutes ago, Asc3 said:

Mr8ball what a lot of Spurs fans won't acknowledge is 12 months ago, Spurs the club (Players) were in disarray, league position 14th and the previously successful Manager was sacked.

1st, 3rd and now 6th and a Cup Final is progress on that in his first full season......I now rest my case M'Lud.

A Carabao Cup final is progress from a Champions League Final.  You’re having a laugh surely??

1 hour ago, Asc3 said:

AHA. I totally agree I think we should be 3 or 4 goals up at half time in every game. I also forbid the other team to play well and would wish our defenders not go make any mistakes. Lol

Here in lies the problem.  Mourinho is asking for no mistakes because a single mistake seems to cost us time and time again.  He claimed that we "lost a player in the box in open play" and that cost us two points.  Fulham did the same and had they not and we still did then we would have lost all 3 points.  Expecting zero errors is asking for perfection, had we instead dictated the play, controlled the tempo of the game and denied them possession then we in all likelihood gone 2-0 or 3-0 at which point we can make a single error, concedes a goal and still win at home against a bottom 3 Club.  Antiquated football is what we are playing.  Boring football is what we are playing.  And as many here have said before, we could accept it if the results kept coming but they are not.

We were 1st, now 6th and our form is D W D L L D.  Of those 6 games,  4 of those opponents are below us anywhere between 8 and 18 points.  Can you look at those statistics and honestly continue to claim we are making progress?

1 hour ago, Alonso said:

A Carabao Cup final is progress from a Champions League Final.  You’re having a laugh surely??

History!!  Poch didn't leave the Club at that standard when the Club had to let him go.I'm talking the here and now ( A bit in the future!).

31 minutes ago, Alonso said:

Here in lies the problem.  Mourinho is asking for no mistakes because a single mistake seems to cost us time and time again.  He claimed that we "lost a player in the box in open play" and that cost us two points.  Fulham did the same and had they not and we still did then we would have lost all 3 points.  Expecting zero errors is asking for perfection, had we instead dictated the play, controlled the tempo of the game and denied them possession then we in all likelihood gone 2-0 or 3-0 at which point we can make a single error, concedes a goal and still win at home against a bottom 3 Club.  Antiquated football is what we are playing.  Boring football is what we are playing.  And as many here have said before, we could accept it if the results kept coming but they are not.

We were 1st, now 6th and our form is D W D L L D.  Of those 6 games,  4 of those opponents are below us anywhere between 8 and 18 points.  Can you look at those statistics and honestly continue to claim we are making progress?

Are you quoting the Clubs progress on a 6 game period of time.  Really!! If the team were incapable of scoring 2nd and 3rd goals there may be reasons for that. Possibly their opponents defending and general play.

please tell me which teams in the premiership win their games 2-0 and 3-0 regularly. ??Just list 3 or 4 don't bother with all of them.

1 hour ago, Asc3 said:

Are you quoting the Clubs progress on a 6 game period of time.  Really!! If the team were incapable of scoring 2nd and 3rd goals there may be reasons for that. Possibly their opponents defending and general play.

please tell me which teams in the premiership win their games 2-0 and 3-0 regularly. ??Just list 3 or 4 don't bother with all of them.

Progress is relative and constant. Our current progress is backwards and THAT is a FACT

7 minutes ago, Alonso said:

Progress is relative and constant. Our current progress is backwards and THAT is a FACT

That is the message I have been gently trying to get across after the first dip in results following our 11 match unbeaten run which saw us sitting  on top of the league. There was the odd spark of revival quickly followed by a spate of poor results. 

To me the signs were clear - there was no consistency and JM's reaction to the poor games were showing glimpses of the real JM during his torrid time at Utd. I was gently trying to get those who were JM fans to look at what was happening with an open mind - ie objectively instead of subjectively. 

Our current position in the league is simply a statistic. It has no reflection on how the players and manager did their job on the day. Since the end of November there has been no consistency and no obvious change on the field to encourage hope. We have some tough games coming up in the next half dozen EPL games. If our points tally out 18 points is again 6 like in the last 6 EPL games it will be disastrous. 

I am hoping for a miraculous change to see 12 + points, but I can't get myself to feel confident. That is not being negative - for me it is facing up to the current reality. 

COYS 

15 hours ago, Asc3 said:

your idea of disarray is questionable sir  , you mention 14th place, yet then we were only 4 points (we drew V Everton when Son wrongly sent off when we were 1-0 up and drew V Sheff Utd when we played poorly, in Poch last two games) off of 5th  , we had 4 seasons of being the most consistent league finisher of all teams playing controlled attacking football , and the CL journey and that incredible semi second half and then final , Hardly disarray,  a drop in league form agreed  but not a squad in disarray, Jose didnt have much to do and he said so himself when he joined ma dnI get hes hardly gonna say much different but he chose to say it not keep quiet .  

We are a few points off top 4 and a few more off top, and our points is that if we hadnt thrown away wins by going negative we would be in top 4 at worst and likely top.  I mean Man U are well ahead of us Man U  we played them off the park and since then other than V Leeds we stopped playing for 95 minutes .

15 hours ago, Mr8ball said:

We ended up 6th overall ,,,poch was top ,,2nd ,,3rd on many occasions champs league final ,,league cup final ,,4 semi finals ,,top 4 what 4 out off 5 seasons not bad for a donkey,,and paid 6 mill a year less cool 

and we was playing at Wembley, not WHL , and uncertain of future plans and spending curtailed due to stadium and one season plus with no incoming players yet still got top 4 and cup runs .   AND good football, a happy squad, sure Eriksen wanted to leave towards the end but we didnt have the likes of Dele pissed off and treated like shit cos he dared to question Jose in a session 

14 hours ago, Asc3 said:

thats a fair point mate,  i guess we got used to dominating possession, controlling games under Poch, and now we seem to be opposite with Jose, its uneasy we have poor history of defending leads not just under Jose but as a club and for me with Poch I always felt we'd nick a win if we werent already comfortable in a game, under Jose I dont feel we will because hed rather take the point that risk it for all three , now maybe thats why he won the title , but that was a while ago now 

4 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

Well as we have said Jose won’t be going anywhere 

so hopefully jm can sort out the balance between attacking and over defending.

it didn’t help not having Bergwijn available 

i dont rate Bergwijn    just looks like another Dutch failure,  peaked on debut and nothing much since , Deles 20 times more effective 

Previous seasons,,barring this one ,,,Liverpool,,Man City,Chelsea, Arsenal,and spurs ,,were winning by 2 or more .

city and Liverpool scoring over 100 goals in season in the league alone .

this season granted its been a very different picture 

1 hour ago, Mr8ball said:

Maybe ,,mate deli is number 10 ,,,Bergwijn is a wide player either flank,

just like the 3 upfront,,,play deli in behind Kane ,,and Ndombele in midfield behind deli 

Agreed, Not playing a true winger kills us masivley, can’t just rely on Aurier to make the overlap everytime... 

I would’ve chose Tanguy to play deeper earlier in the season but as the years gone on I actually prefer him to play that number 10, great dribbler and passer of the ball. Talents that may go to waste playing DM. But where does this leave Lo Celso? 

COYS

I feel the "SPECIAL ONE" is at fault. Fulham were bossing the midfield, out numbering Winks and Hojbjerg and winning all 2nd balls duu to our insistance on just pumping long balls forward. Yes. We missed some chances but with us playing so deep we gave them plenty of time to defend en mass. JM should have taken note of Scot Parers tactics and switched to 3 at the back and had more possession as we lack any kind of creativity. 

2 hours ago, Mr8ball said:

Previous seasons,,barring this one ,,,Liverpool,,Man City,Chelsea, Arsenal,and spurs ,,were winning by 2 or more .

city and Liverpool scoring over 100 goals in season in the league alone .

this season granted its been a very different picture 

" this season granted its been a very different picture" Exactly!! It's this season I'm talking about.

3 hours ago, Audere Est Facere said:

your idea of disarray is questionable sir  , you mention 14th place, yet then we were only 4 points (we drew V Everton when Son wrongly sent off when we were 1-0 up and drew V Sheff Utd when we played poorly, in Poch last two games) off of 5th  , we had 4 seasons of being the most consistent league finisher of all teams playing controlled attacking football , and the CL journey and that incredible semi second half and then final , Hardly disarray,  a drop in league form agreed  but not a squad in disarray, Jose didnt have much to do and he said so himself when he joined ma dnI get hes hardly gonna say much different but he chose to say it not keep quiet .  

We are a few points off top 4 and a few more off top, and our points is that if we hadnt thrown away wins by going negative we would be in top 4 at worst and likely top.  I mean Man U are well ahead of us Man U  we played them off the park and since then other than V Leeds we stopped playing for 95 minutes .

I have never disputed that Poch done a good job for 4 years. However when 18/24 months earlier he refused to recruit a 2nd Striker and made continuous comments that he was happy with his squad. Contract problems with Eriksen,Toby,Verts,Rose and others were appearing and not being settled.  If we had recruited well we could have sold these players for what they were worth.The New Wage structure resulted in Senior professionals already signed up to long contracts not benefitting from them but having contributed to The Clubs recent success morale in the squad was in disarray. Poch lost a lot of players over his time as Manager and if my memory serves me Poch was deemed to be an increasingly difficult man to work for.  I can't get out of my mind that we brought players that failed and were loaned out or sold at a loss within 12 months.He isolated himself by speaking directly to the press.

None of us know the true facts but I know I wanted him to leave having arranged his own departure because I believe Spurs owed him that. That Spurs a well organised club, with massive potential and a new ground to pave the way to a secure financial future decided to sack Poch immediately despite his previous record suggests there was a lot more to this than we know. My initial sorrow for Poch is tempered by him being paid £180,000 a week for the last 50 plus weeks.

On what basis can you suggest that if we had employed more attacking tactics we would win a lot more games. Leeds do exactly that and had a great attacking reputation. They are now dropping down the Premiership table like a stone. Perhaps our experienced World Class Manager is aware of that and is achieving the best with what he has until he developers the squad further. He was unlucky to get Man City in the Carabao Cup Final.    Anyone but them and Liverpool and it would have been fine.

i keep saying it ....criticise Jose at the end of the season but don't analyse every team selection believing you have more knowledge of the day to day situation of the players because it can't be true. He is paid to make the decisions and develope and motivate the players as he sees fit. Manager....one in charge of business.