Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Borodin

Harry Confirms Jose's Instructions :

51 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

I find it hard to believe that 10 outfield players have decided to deliberately defy orders. If this is the case, why is JM allowing them to do it? He's got 2 legs and a tongue in his mouth. Why isn't he standing on the touch line screaming at them to get forward instead of just sitting back and allowing them to do as they like.

COYS

Is that really what you want to see every game, our manager shrieking wildly at the side  to "get forward". These are professional footballers who have been instructed how to play both before the match and at half time. If that hasn't worked then I cannot see how shouting and screaming at certain individuals during a game will help both the team or the media's perception of the current dressing room atmosphere. Opportunities to print headlines of "Mourinho blasts Kane for not pressing" or "Mourinho's scathing verbal attack at Son" are the dreams of certain newspapers and would turn us into a laughing stock.

Harry tried to explain that although they are perfectly aware of Jose's wish to continue to press there also comes a time when a player naturally becomes a little more cautious and nervous about risking too much and conceding an equaliser on the counter attack. With just a one nil lead this fear grows and grows as the match continues. The manager has to trust his team to assess the situation and respond accordingly. Unfortunately we have fallen victim to late equalising goals five times now and whilst we can say our forwards need to attack more we can also cast an extremely critical eye on our defence I think.

Harry, in all fairness, came out and said it was unjust to ask Jose why the side tried to defend a slender lead instead of continuing to press, when it was the players who took on that responsibility and not the manager's instructions.

I understand the frustrations of the supporters who under normal circumstances would be verbally expressing their dissatisfaction to the team with boos and jeers during the game and perhaps that's what is missing. The players cannot pick up on the atmosphere because there isn't one and that's a huge minus. I just don't see that watching our manager jumping up and down like a deranged monkey and screaming obscenities at certain players would benefit the club or dressing room relations in any way.

Sorry James, but that's definitely not what I want to see.....

Don't be sorry - a forum is there to give a point of view. 

I agree with most of what you say. 

My remarks were designed to answer specifically a point that Asc made that implied to me that no fault of what happens on the field can be blamed on the manager. The point I was trying to make was, if that had been the problem, there is an argument that he could have made an effort during the match to remind them of his instructions as it is pointless to wait until the game is over. 

As for animated managers, I don't have a problem with that - especially if you don't have a anyone suitable to be a strong captain on the field. I agree the sort you described is not what I was thinking about and I wouldn't want it. But there are managers who do this well by only doing it at odd times if during the match the team needs further instructions to stop the game getting away from them. 

There is no right or wrong. But at times when opposing views are made, the reasons both sides use are often simply opinions as to opposed to providing absolute proof. If I think that, I sometimes offer alternative ways of looking at it which are not necessarily my own views. 

COYS 

You also identified a perfectly good reason for players needing a strong minded captain on the pitch to ensure they stay switched and don't drift through a game

I think there is 100% backing for that on here. Over the 6 years I have been using this forum, it has cropped up several times. As long as Hugo stays Captain, it is unlikely to change. 

COYS 

5 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

You also identified a perfectly good reason for players needing a strong minded captain on the pitch to ensure they stay switched and don't drift through a game

I think there is 100% backing for that on here. Over the 6 years I have been using this forum, it has cropped up several times. As long as Hugo stays Captain, it is unlikely to change. 

COYS 

Hojbjerg for me, he'd keep them on their toes :16:

21 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

That would be not just my choice, but I think several on here have suggested him. 

COYS 

Hohjbjerg certainly seems to have a competitors appetite to be Captain. Whether he has the deep committment and love of Spurs and future desire to lead Spurs at a higher level we cannot know. As Spurs progress hopefully a candidate will emerge with all of the qualities required.

James, I detect "sitting on the fence" is no longer enough. Stirring the Pot and encouraging Jose Mourinio (the World Class Manager) supporters into a debate is more fun. Lol 

im not sure Jose screaming all game long would be able to drag a good performance out of Bale or Moura. IMO

1 hour ago, Asc3 said:

Hohjbjerg certainly seems to have a competitors appetite to be Captain. Whether he has the deep committment and love of Spurs and future desire to lead Spurs at a higher level we cannot know. As Spurs progress hopefully a candidate will emerge with all of the qualities required.

James, I detect "sitting on the fence" is no longer enough. Stirring the Pot and encouraging Jose Mourinio (the World Class Manager) supporters into a debate is more fun. Lol 

im not sure Jose screaming all game long would be able to drag a good performance out of Bale or Moura. IMO

Spot on.

As the one side may have bragging rights and that will introduce some great posts gloating and eating humble pie. 

I wouldn't like to see JM 'screaming'. But a bit of encouragement urging the team on or shouting instructions to individuals if they are not getting it right, I think is part of the job for the manager and other coaches on the side lines. When I watch on TV I have always used the 'no crowd sound' sound option. All the other teams are shouting instructions all the time. If someone is not picking up an unmarked opponent, they yell at the player who has forgotten to pick him up. It seems sensible to me. I don't think I at anytime suggested that JM or any manager had to do it all through the match, but implied when the team wasn't following instructions, then it is appropriate to shout instructions. 

I don't see it it in black and white. It is not simply a case of they never or always do it. For me, there is a balance and there are times when shouting or gesticulating from the dug out is necessary. 

I hope this clears up the point I was trying to make and not simply a criticism per se of JM. 

COYS