Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Borodin

Eir Sports Gold

Being a technophobe I was determined to install Eir Sports onto my firestick rather than have to mirror it from my mobile. It's taken me two hours but I've managed it. My reward is they are currently showing the 2008 Carling Cup final against Chelsea.

What wonderful memories it brings back. Woodgate heading the extra time winner.

Pure gold.....

Just watched Eir Sports episode of "Saint and Greavsie" during the start of the 1990 World Cup Italia. Interview with Bryan Robson saying how upbeat the England squad were and looking forward to playing Jack Charlton's Ireland in the group stage (1-1 draw). Little did they know of the penalty shoot out heartbreak that awaited them and Gacoignes famous tearful farewell.

Greavsie talking about Scottish goalkeepers was hilarious and then the Scotland manager Andy Roxburgh responded by saying there was many a footballer who would "give their right arm" to be a Scottish goalkeeper :7::7: Priceless.....

Great memories....

On 1/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, Borodin said:

Being a technophobe I was determined to install Eir Sports onto my firestick rather than have to mirror it from my mobile. It's taken me two hours but I've managed it. My reward is they are currently showing the 2008 Carling Cup final against Chelsea.

What wonderful memories it brings back. Woodgate heading the extra time winner.

Pure gold.....

Being a techno dumbo, I salute you but, sadly, will not be able to add this app as I don't have a firestick (whatever that is). I also have no idea what you mean about 'mirror it from my mobile'!

Re the Carling cup final in 2008, I saw the last 20 minutes of it in Dubai airport sitting in one of the restaurants. A real bonus for me as we won. I was returning from Sri Lanka and that flight is always 2 stages when you switch planes with a 2 hour wait in That is a common way when flying to places in the east - they probably do that to get people looking around their duty free. 

9 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

Being a techno dumbo, I salute you but, sadly, will not be able to add this app as I don't have a firestick (whatever that is). I also have no idea what you mean about 'mirror it from my mobile'!

Re the Carling cup final in 2008, I saw the last 20 minutes of it in Dubai airport sitting in one of the restaurants. A real bonus for me as we won. I was returning from Sri Lanka and that flight is always 2 stages when you switch planes with a 2 hour wait in That is a common way when flying to places in the east - they probably do that to get people looking around their duty free. 

You will not be able to watch it because it is an Irish sports channel and you need to subscribe to Eir mobile or broadband in order to receive it my friend. We have Eir broadband in our home. It used to be very good as it included BT coverage as well until last year. Now it concentrates on GAA sports but the 'Gold' channels are marvellous for reliving old matches.

As for 'mirroring' you can buy an item called a Chromecast for just £30 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Chromecast-Mediastick-Marvell-MARVELL/dp/B07M9BKHNZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=5CYKQAU2XDND&dchild=1&keywords=chromecast+device+for+tv&qid=1611404162&sprefix=chromecast%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-3 )

This fits into the back of your TV via a HDMI slot. Using your android mobile or tablet you download onto it from the Google playstore an app called Google Home. When you open the app it searches for your chromecast and you can then connect to it via your internet. This allows you to send whatever you are watching on your android device directly to your TV screen. This means you are effectively 'mirroring' whatever you are viewing on your tablet/phone onto your home TV screen.

They have a chromecast in both my local pubs and it used to be brilliant. I could go in and just mirror my football apps onto the large bar TV on a Saturday afternoon. Eir Sports say that using the chromecast method is the only way you can view their channels on a television as the app cannot be loaded onto firesticks but after much messing about I managed to do it. This saves me from needing to use the chromecast and is therefore much less hassle.

I just love messing about with stuff like that and it was great when it actually worked...:16:

With my memory problem (vascular dementia), it carries the unfortunate problem that I can't learn anything new. My memory is such that having read something, then having done anything next, I can't recall what I had read. It's a bloody nuisance. I cannot remember any of spurs results this season or the scorers off the top of my head.  I have written them down and have to refer to them before posting on here. The odd thing is it is not 100%. Sometime a memory returns when I try to recall. Luckily, when I read something or it is said to me, it triggers off the memory.

I wasn't always this bad, it started about 10 years ago. I might sound conceited, but I once was very intelligent wit a fantastic memory. Luckily the memory problem is confined to the detail involving nouns - peoples names and street and place names I just can't recall if I want to speak or type them - I have to look them up. However, when I hear or read the name I I know exactly who/what it refers to. The part of the brain required to construct a sentence seems to be unimpaired. I have no short term memory and cannot learn anything new. However I remember occasions but not the specific details. I can remember where I was posted and what I did when I was posted to a foreign country. However, I couldn't tell you the names of the people I served with or the individual names of the streets or places I went to. If I was to meet someone I served with and he recounted the detail, That would bring the memory back while we talked. If I met some one else the next day I would remember to say I met so and so, but I wouldn't be able to pass on what was said!!  So frustrating.

That is why I make no attempt to to understand more about technology.

Until August I had me extraordinary health To compensate. Sadly, a blood virus, pneumonia and Covid-19 have taken that away and now I am reduced to being a sad old git with very little to indicate I wasn't always such a dummy.

At least I had a good innings and that is something that many don't get to enjoy.

COYS

3 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

At least I had a good innings and that is something that many don't get to enjoy.

COYS

You may not be knocking sixes out of the ground with phenomenal regularity but at least you are still standing at the crease with bat in hand and can hit the odd 'four' now and again. It's enough to be still out there and not yet seeing the umpire raising his finger mate :16: