Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Borodin

Is Mourinho On Thin Ice ??

Most media reports today suggest that Daniel Levy has no intention of sacking his manager whilst they are still in the running for three competitions. With those being the Carabao Cup, Europa League and FA Cup that situation could alter dramatically within a few weeks.

If we lose to West Brom on Sunday, get booted out of the Cup by Everton on Wednesday and then take a battering from City on Feb 13th (Giving clear indication of our chances in the Cup Final) Wednesday Feb 24th could be the defining moment. It's the second leg against  RZ Pellets WAC in the Europa and going out of this competition too would slam the lid firmly shut on a disappointing and uninspiring 20/21season.

Should all of this materialise then Daniel finds himself in a deep hole. With our one remaining chance of silverware being far away on April 25th does he sack Mourinho then and hope that a new manager, albeit maybe a caretaker one, can revitalise the squad and perhaps create a team that will turn over Pep's boys or does he allow Jose to continue on his path of destruction until we possibly end up with nothing ?

Getting rid now would allow Mourinho to put his hands up in the air in disbelief crying to the media that we were still battling for four honours and clinging to his Special One reputation. In fairness too, the guy probably has earned the chance to continue for a bit longer.

So Levy persists but puts a huge circle around the morning of Thursday Feb 25th and leaves his appointments diary free, just in case.

Personally speaking I would also allow him to carry on for the moment but if all we have left is the Carabao Cup and an extremely outside chance of the league title come the end of this month then get rid. I'd bring in a caretaker and maybe someone like Harry Redknapp or Tim Sherwood is just what we would need to lighten the mood, liven things up and get the squad buzzing again for the City match in April.

Should we win then Jose can moan and moan to the media that it was 'his' team that won it even though he was no longer in charge, I'm sure the supporters can live with that. I know I can.

Meanwhile Levy has hopefully been working away in the background finding a new boss that will convince Kane,Son,Alli and a few others to remain at the club for 21/20.

The next three weeks are crucial to the future of Tottenham and it's a little sad to think that it may require a series of defeats to bring back the Spurs team that the supporters are so desperate to see both from their sofas and more importantly.. the terraces.

COYS !!

Some interesting ideas and I like the thinking. 

Redknapp could be an option. But who else would/could we realistically consider as a caretaker if Levy did push Jose out?

Just some random thoughts, not in any order...

Ledley King

Rafa Benitez 

Eddie Howe?

I don’t think Jose will leave soon either. I think we’re at a point when our first 11 (plus one/two others AT MOST) can compete with anyone, but I don’t think our squad depth is anywhere near enough, it looks better on paper than they seem in reality. 

If Lloris, Aurier, Toby, Rodon, Reguillon, Hojbjerg, NDombele, GLC, Son, Kane, Bergwijn were all fit and playing I feel we can beat anyone, even playing Jose’s awful style.

If you take too many out (at once) then we struggle!

4 minutes ago, BlockFeet said:

Some interesting ideas and I like the thinking. 

Redknapp could be an option. But who else would/could we realistically consider as a caretaker if Levy did push Jose out?

Just some random thoughts, not in any order...

Ledley King

Rafa Benitez 

Eddie Howe?

I don’t think Jose will leave soon either. I think we’re at a point when our first 11 (plus one/two others AT MOST) can compete with anyone, but I don’t think our squad depth is anywhere near enough, it looks better on paper than they seem in reality. 

If Lloris, Aurier, Toby, Rodon, Reguillon, Hojbjerg, NDombele, GLC, Son, Kane, Bergwijn were all fit and playing I feel we can beat anyone, even playing Jose’s awful style.

If you take too many out (at once) then we struggle!

There's no way he'll go until our only chance of any sort of success is the Carabao Cup in my opinion (and that would appear to be an extremely thin chance at the moment). Should that happen then I'd dump him whilst there's still a possibility of someone else turning the situation around.

I know - no chance. But we can still have fun speculating... it’s all we’ve got at the moment (plus watching Skippy doing well!) 

One reason NOT to sack him is you have to someone to step in and caretake. So is Redknapp your number 1 realistic choice?

What about Ledley? Rafa? Howe or Timmy Sherwood? 

2 minutes ago, BlockFeet said:

I know - no chance. But we can still have fun speculating... it’s all we’ve got at the moment (plus watching Skippy doing well!) 

One reason NOT to sack him is you have to someone to step in and caretake. So is Redknapp your number 1 realistic choice?

What about Ledley? Rafa? Howe or Timmy Sherwood? 

I think you need someone to open the windows and let in a bit of fresh air and lighten the mood. Redknapp and Sherwood fit that bill. Knowing it was just a temporary appointment I think they would both try to bring back some smiles and also give people like Vinicius and Bale a chance to shine. I'd love to see 'Arry bring some entertainment back into the Lane.

I can't see Rafa or Howe being the right people for a temporary job and I don't think Ledley is ready yet to make the transition to management, plus when he does I'd like to see it permanent.

If I was Levy I'd buy some time with Harry, Tim or someone of similar vein and use the opportunity to find a manager that puts the demands of the club, the players and the supporters in front of those of his ego.

Remember these moments ?? I certainly do ...

1 hour ago, Borodin said:

Most media reports today suggest that Daniel Levy has no intention of sacking his manager whilst they are still in the running for three competitions. With those being the Carabao Cup, Europa League and FA Cup that situation could alter dramatically within a few weeks.

If we lose to West Brom on Sunday, get booted out of the Cup by Everton on Wednesday and then take a battering from City on Feb 13th (Giving clear indication of our chances in the Cup Final) Wednesday Feb 24th could be the defining moment. It's the second leg against  RZ Pellets WAC in the Europa and going out of this competition too would slam the lid firmly shut on a disappointing and uninspiring 20/21season.

Should all of this materialise then Daniel finds himself in a deep hole. With our one remaining chance of silverware being far away on April 25th does he sack Mourinho then and hope that a new manager, albeit maybe a caretaker one, can revitalise the squad and perhaps create a team that will turn over Pep's boys or does he allow Jose to continue on his path of destruction until we possibly end up with nothing ?

Getting rid now would allow Mourinho to put his hands up in the air in disbelief crying to the media that we were still battling for four honours and clinging to his Special One reputation. In fairness too, the guy probably has earned the chance to continue for a bit longer.

So Levy persists but puts a huge circle around the morning of Thursday Feb 26th and leaves his appointments diary free, just in case.

Personally speaking I would also allow him to carry on for the moment but if all we have left is the Carabao Cup and an extremely outside chance of the league title come the end of this month then get rid. I'd bring in a caretaker and maybe someone like Harry Redknapp is just what we would need to lighten the mood, liven things up and get the squad buzzing again for the City match in April.

Should we win then Jose can moan and moan to the media that it was 'his' team that won it even though he was no longer in charge, I'm sure the supporters can live with that. I know I can.

Meanwhile Levy has hopefully been working away in the background finding a new boss that will convince Kane,Son,Alli and a few others to remain at the club for 21/20.

The next three weeks are crucial to the future of Tottenham and it's a little sad to think that it may require a series of defeats to bring back the Spurs team that the supporters are so desperate to see both from their sofas and more importantly.. the terraces.

COYS !!

I've been saying something similar for the last 10 or more games. I have been 'saying the next 5 games will give us an idea whether we are recovering to the heady days when we were top'. He is in the middle of the third 5 games and has lost the first 3!!! (I fully expect some on here to disagree with me to say he didn't lose them the players did). After each of the 2 first 5 games, the indication has been no visible signs of improvement. Sadly, in this the 3rd 5 games, the indication has been a downward turn with pitiful performances.

I agree with all you say.  The only thing I can't make my mind up on at the moment is, when he must go if the results don't substantially improve. If we don't put a winning run together starting in the the next 2 or 3 games, will his replacement be left with enough time to get us to at least 5th and preferably 4th place?

For me, I see the main problem facing us is not whether he is replaced if we continue failing, my fear is , if we finish 6th or lower and have not won the EC to get us into the CL. If we wait until the 25th of Feb, will there be enough games left if we are out of the EC and 3 or 4 wins away from catching those above us. If that happens it won't be in our hands, it will need at least 3 of those above crashing and losing the same number of games we need to win to catch them.

Even the pundits are heaping criticism on his shoulders now, so the problems being experienced are not just being put down to injuries and players attitude and mistakes and are not imaginary. 

COYS

Look, I would think that a win Sunday is a must for Mouronho.  If we lose that game then I can see Levy having no choice but to sack.  

as for an appointment one would think it would have to be a caretaker, the issue with Harry and Timmy are they have been here before and neither left on the best of terms.  I find it difficult to see Levy going that route.  Ledley is an option because he is already in the staff but I’m not convinced he could turn things around.

as I mentioned on the other thread Nagelsmann is my choice but I very much doubt he would come mid season.

don’t want Rafa, not progressive enough for me. We need a manager that gets us playing on the front foot. 

it’s very sad but if it means Jose gets fired as a result I actually hope we lose Sunday. He has to go and the earlier the better 

29 minutes ago, Alonso said:

Look, I would think that a win Sunday is a must for Mouronho.  If we lose that game then I can see Levy having no choice but to sack.  

as for an appointment one would think it would have to be a caretaker, the issue with Harry and Timmy are they have been here before and neither left on the best of terms.  I find it difficult to see Levy going that route.  Ledley is an option because he is already in the staff but I’m not convinced he could turn things around.

as I mentioned on the other thread Nagelsmann is my choice but I very much doubt he would come mid season.

don’t want Rafa, not progressive enough for me. We need a manager that gets us playing on the front foot. 

it’s very sad but if it means Jose gets fired as a result I actually hope we lose Sunday. He has to go and the earlier the better 

Mate as I agree but I think mr levy is gonna wait until Jose gets everyone back fit ,,Kane ,,reggie,,le Tesco’s,,,Ali,,,then and if only then if there is no improvement mr levy will wield the axe simple ,,he gave poch 6 months 

3 hours ago, Mr8ball said:

Mate as I agree but I think mr levy is gonna wait until Jose gets everyone back fit ,,Kane ,,reggie,,le Tesco’s,,,Ali,,,then and if only then if there is no improvement mr levy will wield the axe simple ,,he gave poch 6 months 

He gave Poch more time because of the relationship they had developed.  I think Poch was closer to Levy than any previous Manager and definitely closer than Mourinho 

I don't think Jose has done the best job, but the team is very thin. We don't have anybody in the back who's good enough to win the league with except Reguilon. Maybe Rodon will get there, but you can't play a counterattacking system when you have a stock of error-prone fullbacks and centre backs, which is all of them other than Toby. Toby of course is competent but his best days are behind him. Aurier is not dependable week to week. Doherty started off OK but has since turned into a pumpkin. Davies and Sanchez are a liability always. Dier has a case of chronic Auriers where he'll appear solid at times and then make the worst errors.

Jose would say he's got a lot of defenders who aren't top 6 quality defenders if he were being honest and I have to agree. And we have no attacking threat without Kane bringing it all together.

The team needs investment.

Agreed mate but they are all international’s,,,so it’s difficult to re place them all with upgrades,,,especially when spurs only have a bag of peanuts and a banana to pay with .

1 hour ago, Mr8ball said:

Agreed mate but they are all international’s,,,so it’s difficult to re place them all with upgrades,,,especially when spurs only have a bag of peanuts and a banana to pay with .

If the season EPL collapses as it did for Poch, than DL would have to do something about it. I think a lot depends on timing. If we get knocked out of the cup on Wednesday and lose to City and West Ham in the following matches, his neck will very much be on the block. DL may well act swiftly to get a new guy in hoping there is enough time to save the season. Once it is past that date, even if he has been earmarked for sacking, I think DL will wait until the end of the season. 

It is no secret that I am no fan of Mourhino. That said, for me it is more important that THFC become a top European club winning the EPL and CL. Therefore the best solution is for Mourinho to get the season on track and, either by coming 4th or wining the EC, and get us in the CL next season. If he doesn't, I fear we will lose our top players and be back to pre Poch days. So for the moment I hope we win our next 3 games and find we are back in the hunt for 4th. I see no sense in wanting us to lose matches so that Mourinho gets sacked. If that is what happens, then we are in deep trouble that could take years to get back to where we are today. 

I'll only call for his head to roll if we drift through the season as we have in the EPL over the last 10 games. My feelings for Mourinho take 2nd place to our wonderful club. 

COYS 

Do you think @Jamesinashby that something has changed and that Spurs, with their glittering new stadium and all the revenue that brings, and with the expansion of the fan base in the last 10 years - wouldn't one think that Spurs would have more permanency as a top club? By this I mean that a down year or two would not cause the club to no longer be seen as one of the top 6 anymore?

It does not seem like Spurs are likely to sink to a perennial mid-table team because they will always have more financial resources and be a destination job for a manager, the way a team like West Brom or Brighton would not be.

I believe personally that for all Mourinho's faults the team is still mainly suffering from the lack of investment during the latter Poch era, particularly among defenders.

12 minutes ago, KCspurs said:

Do you think @Jamesinashby that something has changed and that Spurs, with their glittering new stadium and all the revenue that brings, and with the expansion of the fan base in the last 10 years - wouldn't one think that Spurs would have more permanency as a top club? By this I mean that a down year or two would not cause the club to no longer be seen as one of the top 6 anymore?

It does not seem like Spurs are likely to sink to a perennial mid-table team because they will always have more financial resources and be a destination job for a manager, the way a team like West Brom or Brighton would not be.

I believe personally that for all Mourinho's faults the team is still mainly suffering from the lack of investment during the latter Poch era, particularly among defenders.

As I said, I will be more than happy for JM to turn this season around despite me not really liking him.

However, the point I was making was not aimed at him. I was simply expressing my fears  that if this season collapsed ,as it did for Poch, I have a real fear if that happened that could lead to an exodus of the important players. also getting replacements of the same ability is probably unlikely. It's just my opinion, that recovering to the level we are at now with so many good teams in the EPL will be very difficult with the possibility of it taking more than a seson or two. If we develop players to a high quality without getting into the CL, there is a strong likelihood they will be poached as they want to play in the CL and to win trophies. 

You can only be considered top 6 by actually coming top 6. Being top 6 without being top 4 is unlikely to keep and attract top players. That's just how I see the situation as I have seen too many false dawns over the years. It is not a criticism nor looking for reasons why we have done so badly in the EPL

COYS

Kc the investment side would have happened without COVID-19,,,the buccaneers use Man Utd to fund there nfl side the glaziers are skint themselves,,,they take 75pence out of every pound Man Utd make then out of the 25p left they pay the debt the glazers moved back to Man Utd lol and out of that they over pay on players ,.

Years ago lord sugar had a debate with trump on tv ,,,lol trump kept saying he was a billionaire,,,lord sugar said you haven’t got a pot to piss in lol,,,lord sugar said I have more cash than you ,,,he wrote a cheque for £100 million and said to trump you cash that in ,,,give me your cheque I will watch yours bounce lol hence lord sugar won he always has that in cash £100 mill trump has fcuk all 

12 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

The only game that has money is cricket 

I can't see that cricket is actually rolling in money.

Money they have to pay out is peanuts compared to professional footballers. It wouldn't surprise me if the wage bill for City turned out to be more than the whole of that of the county cricket clubs put together. Harry probably gets more money from all the sources he gets money from being more than average county club get in gate money. With inclement weather losing playing and matches finished in 2 or 3 days, it means loss of gate money. 

Also, there is not the same income from fans buying kit and souvenirs and regular money for being shown on TV. 

The big difference between professional football and professional cricket is the numbers involved. With 18  county cricket clubs and possibly a couple of dozen semi pro clubs, it is a tiny fraction compared to Pro and semi Pro football clubs. It is going to impact far more within the football World. 

COYS 

India has 1 billion people that love one sport that there good at lol ,,.apart from hockey orgabgi,,Pakistan has the rest ,,,the biggest gamble in the the world India Pakistan cricket