Spurs Web
Borodin

What Do We Do With Bale ?

Etac8u3UYAAt4qz?format=jpg&name=small

Does this picture say it all ?   Did he turn out to be a white elephant or has he been badly treated ??

I didn't expect for one second to see the old Gareth Bale rocketing up the wings, putting in lethal crosses and scoring scorching free kicks. I did however think I would see a whole lot more of him than I have. Really grates to see us losing and having no teeth up front and he's just sitting on the bench warming his arse. Then when asked for a reason Jose refuses to explain. It's almost as if he is having a power struggle with the guy.

Seems like a "You may be the prodigal son returned and the darling of the terraces but let me show you who is the boss around here" scenario to me.

He could well return to the Spanish golf courses at the end of the season and waste another year of an all too short footballing career but it surely won't be entirely his fault ? Is there anyone in this forum that thinks he's had a fair crack of the whip ?. Yes some of his performances have been poor but he's been given very little playing time.

So what's your opinion :

Had a more than reasonable chance to establish himself in the team and failed ?  Very badly treated and not really given a fair chance.?  Not interested, only came here for a UK holiday then back to Spain. Terrible club decision. ?

Or do you have another theory ?

My understanding is that he still plays very well for Wales.  If that is true that would suggest it is a lack of opportunity.  He hasn’t played that well when he has played but he has scored a few goals and shown signs of getting fitter.  If Harry had been our Manager I would suggest this all would have been much more successful. 
It’s not like he has been kept out by scorching form of others is it?  Bergwijn keeps getting starts and what has he done for us?  This mess is deeper than Gareth, it’s right through the whole squad.  Dele, Lucas, Doherty, Aurier,  Toby, Sanchez, Sissoko, Winks.  If you aren’t Eric Dier, Harry Kane, Son or Hojbjerg then you are wondering what will happen next.  And to be fair to the whole group he sticks with players like Son even when they are playing poorly.  And Son has been VERY ineffective over the last 4-5 matches.  There is a definitive double standard under Jose and that is going to create problems. We are seeing those problems now.  I can virtually guarantee that Danny Rose could help the team and he can’t even get a number.  

it’s a shambles 

Alonso, you are right that he plays well for Wales, but that is mainly because the team is built around him and, to a lesser extent, Ramsey. Wales have learned how to get the best from him, but I think he is not getting the same treatment at Spurs. He has certainly not been given enough playing time at Spurs, but is that because of Jose or because he is not showing enough in training?  I don't suppose we will ever have the definitive answer to that one.

I really wanted him back at Spurs and thought he would be one of the final pieces in the jigsaw, but it just hasn't worked. It's really disappointing.

According to this article he is surplus to requirements for us and an embarassing liability for Real Madrid.

https://sportwitness.co.uk/tottenham-doesnt-want-to-keep-player-next-season-no-longer-that-explosive/

I don't think he's done himself any favours with some rather lacklustre performances but then again the opportunities he has been given to play don't seem particularly suited to bringing him back up to Premier League pace. Jose seems to just use him for Europa games.

I cannot see him remaining at The Lane next season.

Yeah it’s a shame,,but I believe that his ankles are knackered and that’s what is holding him back ,,,,it’s a bit like ledly king he couldn’t train cos of his knees ,,he played then his knees blew up like balloons ,,wrapped in ice blah blah ,,,his fitness training was confined to running in a swimming pool .

And we do have Jack Clarke who is showing some good stuff at Stoke city ,,he is younger and cheaper and Jose does rate him 

On 2/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, Borodin said:

According to this article he is surplus to requirements for us and an embarassing liability for Real Madrid.

https://sportwitness.co.uk/tottenham-doesnt-want-to-keep-player-next-season-no-longer-that-explosive/

I don't think he's done himself any favours with some rather lacklustre performances but then again the opportunities he has been given to play don't seem particularly suited to bringing him back up to Premier League pace. Jose seems to just use him for Europa games.

I cannot see him remaining at The Lane next season.

In my opinion it is in the interest of both club and player for him to go.

Whether he is injury prone and can't get his full fitness back or just not getting on with JM is irrelevant really. So far he has been an expensive luxury to club having brought only his reputation. He also may well have made himself unwanted by top clubs instead of being the start of a new career at the top level.

COYS

Jose Mourinho says Gareth Bale's Instagram post 'contradicted reality' of his fitness situation

There are obviously serious problems between Bale and Jose now. Reminded me of the Pogba instagram incident which saw Mourinho blast the player on the Manchester training pitch.

Here's a link to the latest situation :

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12216007/jose-mourinho-says-gareth-bales-instagram-post-contradicted-reality-of-his-fitness-situation

5 hours ago, Borodin said:

Jose Mourinho says Gareth Bale's Instagram post 'contradicted reality' of his fitness situation

There are obviously serious problems between Bale and Jose now. Reminded me of the Pogba instagram incident which saw Mourinho blast the player on the Manchester training pitch.

Here's a link to the latest situation :

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12216007/jose-mourinho-says-gareth-bales-instagram-post-contradicted-reality-of-his-fitness-situation

The point I take from this is that there is an irreconcilable gap in this relationship.

The bringing back Gareth gamble, for what ever reason, appears to have failed. 

Sad, but nothing is gained by crying over spilt milk - we have to get over it and get on with life. 

COYS 

28 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

The point I take from this is that there is an irreconcilable gap in this relationship.

The bringing back Gareth gamble, for what ever reason, appears to have failed. 

Sad, but nothing is gained by crying over spilt milk - we have to get over it and get on with life. 

COYS 

The general concensus of opinion from most sources is that it was Levy who wanted to bring back Bale and he had been negotiating such a deal long before Mourinho's appointment. I do struggle to imagine that Gareth was Jose's choice. If that is the case then the fact that the manager is not selecting the chairman's talisman must be causing intense friction between the two. This recent spat will only have heightened that tension.

It's a fascinating situation and anybody's guess if we will ever see Gareth put in a full 90 minutes for Spurs again.

Tanguay was in a similar situation and look at him now.  I don’t believe that Bale is suddenly a shit football player and I expect him to outlast Jose.  

if used correctly he still has quality to offer Spurs.  That’s my opinion 

1 minute ago, Alonso said:

Tanguay was in a similar situation and look at him now.  I don’t believe that Bale is suddenly a shit football player and I expect him to outlast Jose.  

if used correctly he still has quality to offer Spurs.  That’s my opinion 

Ndombele was completely different. He was a signed player who if he didn't make the grade we would be forced to sell probably for a loss. He cost 60m Euros. Bale is on just a season's loan and we are paying only a portion of his astronomical wages which are reported to be 545,000 euros a week and of which we contribute (allegedly) 200,000 euros.

We could effectively contact Real Madrid and request the loan be ended now but with Zidane hating his guts I doubt they would ever agree. The one thing we have in our favour with Bale as opposed to Ndombele was if he doesn't shape up then we simply ship him out back to Spain at the end of this season.

Right now I would say Mourinho has a lot more power than Bale as far as Levy is concerned. Maybe if Gareth had impressed with some outstanding performances and then expressed his doubts about the manager I think Daniel may have been more inclined to listen.

My view is we won't see any improvement in his form, he will continue to be used mainly in the Europa and then he's back off to play golf in the sunshine.

For the money Bale is on and for what he’s done when he’s played - then it’s been a disaster so far in terms of impact on the team/results.

It’s like going back to an ex-girlfriend - rarely works out. Far better to just accept its over, cherish the good memories but then move on. Sure, you can continue to admire her from afar, lurk on her Facebook profile and potentially brush up against her at a mutual friend’s wedding - but that’s it. 

It did seem to help galvanise supporters and excite the squad in the first part of the season, but it just looks like another ‘Jose player mess’ now - even if this one is more complex.

No idea if the purchase made commercial sense for the Spurs brand (shirt sales, PR etc.) but I feel his playing chances could have been given to someone younger (Clarke?) or someone outcast (Dele?) and we’d have been better off.

Unless he kicks on massively from now then he should return to Madrid at end of season and his vast monthly wage should either be spent on a more impactful free agent (there are many good players available in the summer), be used to bump up Kane/Son’s wages to tie them down with improved contracts or to help fund some new purchases - Reguillon plus several others! 

Well if bales agent is releasing statements like this then even he’s given up on him. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56101727

It’s  shame to fizzle out your talent at 31, yes he’s had an amazing career but it has been over since he was 29.

can’t see him getting the hunger or will back to get anywhere near to his best. I’m sure he’ll still throw in the odd performance for Wales but at club level he might be done. Tbh he’s so rich if he’s lost the hunger he might as well pack it in and save everyone the forlorn hope!

I wish that we would give Bale a regular run of matches to see if he can contribute, but he hasn't really made a case for himself. Then again, what do we gain by picking Lamela or Moura over him? Bergwijn brings pace but it rarely seems to turn into anything. Why not see if regular 90 minutes will change Bale?

1 hour ago, KCspurs said:

I wish that we would give Bale a regular run of matches to see if he can contribute, but he hasn't really made a case for himself. Then again, what do we gain by picking Lamela or Moura over him? Bergwijn brings pace but it rarely seems to turn into anything. Why not see if regular 90 minutes will change Bale?

I don’t believe Jose has it in him to give him full 90 mins, Bale needs to show it in training matches as a minimum. Harry redknapp would give him a full game but Mouriniho, no chance!

Even in the few mins he has had I’d have expected him to show more. These last 2 seasons of injury and disinterest at Real have accelerated Bale’s demise. Hope I’m wrong and he scores 25 yard winner against West Ham at weekend but I fear we’ll get turned over and then we really will be in slide down the table!

Maybe he's giving a debt care attitude in training? Again has he said let me play at least 45mins and I'll prove myself? I don't think hes had enough minutes but as he actually come on the pitch linked up with the Strikers cut inside and put one in the top corner yet....no?

Mourinho probably thinks he was a symbolic gesture 

On 2/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, Mr8ball said:

Bale will be going back and I think Madrid will trigger the buy back clause for reggie 

Sad but true if we don't build the team around players like Reguilon in the summer.covid making a new stadium empty will affect that sadly.we would need a big war chest to strengthen the team.....wait winky...

I find it incredible for a player like Bale at 31 years of age to regard his career as over when I watch Zlatan still playing and knocking goals in at the highest level and he's 39. Regardless of what you think of the guy as a person there is little you can do but admire his statistics and the manner in which he has kept himself fit.

Bale expected to return as the Prodigal Son, to the adulation of thousands of cheering supporters. Instead he came back to empty stadiums and a manager that needing convincing he could still do a job for the first team. It's been painful to watch as I too shared the dream that we would see more than just an occasional glimpse of the wonderful player who left us and went to Real Madrid. He looks like an empty shell, bereft of motivation and confidence and there seems little chance of anyone being able to relight the fire that once burned brightly inside him.

Daniel Levy thought he had completed a masterstroke in bringing Gareth back but all he did was remind us (and probably Bale) of what used to be but no longer is. He will return to Real Madrid unwanted and continue to serve out his contract by warming his arse on the subs bench or playing golf. Be under no illusion though, this is not a waste of a great talent because the footballer we once worshipped is no more and ultimately no matter how he was treated that was his choice. He decided to stay in Spain and just pick up his weekly pay cheque instead of taking a wage cut and looking for a regular place elsewhere. I don't blame his agent for that, the decision to hibernate was Gareth's and his alone.

It is all in the mind. From the moment Bale and his 2 RM managers fell out his future became in doubt. 

He was caught between a rock and a hard place. His wage (which clearly he was not prepared to take a lot less elsewhere), was always going to severely reduce his chances of finding another club. He put money before football. 

With his record over the last 2 seasons at RM and Spurs and his injury problems, his chances of now playing with a top club are close to zilch, even if he accepts a much, much lower wage. Even if he wanted to play on to mid 30s and over, I don't hold out much hope it will happen. 

COYS 

I'm not sure why Bale is considered finished at 31 when Ronaldo is 36, Messi 34 and Cavani 34.  Ibrahimovic is 39 and still ticking.  Based upon the last few games West Ham and Wolfsberger) I am a firm believer that he has plenty to give Spurs. Give him more minutes, more starts and let him find his game again.  What does that risk?  We are losing without him so can it get worse?

I thought he had a real impact against the Hammers, maybe even our best player second half.  Dele is another issue.