Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Borodin

It's Not As Bad As It Looks....

A cursory glance at the table will tell you that Spurs are in 8th place and a massive 26pts behind Man City but delve into the figures a little further and it's interesting reading.

We have 39pts from 25 games

Liverpool (6th) have 43 from 26 so if we win tonight we would go just one point behind them having both played 26 matches

Chelsea (5th) have 44 from 26 so we would also go just 2pts behind them, again having both played 26

West Ham (4th) have 45 from 26 so only 3 pts behind them and level on 26 games

Even more interesting is the fact that Leicester are on 50 pts after 27 games so if we do win our two games in hand over them we would be just 5 pts behind them which considering they appear to now be in freefall could easily be bridged.

Man Utd who are becoming bore draw experts are on 51 pts after 27 so we would go just 6pts behind them. If they lose to City this weekend then we would have that game in hand over them and the fixture against them at the Lane still to come :9:

In this seasons turbulent results there are obviously more trapdoors waiting to open under the feet of the clubs above us. Hopefully we have gone through our bad patch and now heading for calmer waters and more wins.

With Palace, Arsenal, Villa, Newcastle, Man Utd and Everton ahead of us before the Carabao Cup Final then our fate really does rest in our hands.

West Ham have Leeds, Man Utd, Arsenal, Wolves, Leicester and Newcastle next so not an easy schedule.

Chelsea have Liverpool, Everton, Leeds, WBA, Palace and Brighton so a mixed bag there.

Liverpool have Chelsea, Fulham, Wolves, Arsenal, Villa and Leeds so no easy games in that lot.

It's clear that in those fixtures there are plenty of banana skins for everybody involved and definitely no predictable results. If we can maintain momentum and take points from everyone in our next six games (5 wins and a draw) then we would surely be back up there battling for a top four spot.

So let's cheer up and realise that there is some sunlight trying to splutter through the clouds and it could very well be blue skies up ahead :16::one:

The reasons for optimism described as you have done come across as plausible if not quite realistic. I wouldn't go against them. I certainly hope our season, from the springboard of the last game, soars onwards and upwards, and eventually ends up with a finish that sees us in the CL with some silverware and the squad is bubbling with no one wanting to leave. 

That said, those reasons could also apply to some 7 other clubs. discarding City. If that is true, to put it in more simple terms, it means we have to win 4 or 5 games more than at least 5 of the chasing pack for a 4th place finish. Basically it still relies on at least 5 clubs to do worse than us. If that doesn't happen we have to win the EC. 

In the 6 years I have been using this forum, to steal your phrase, I have seen too many 'false dawns'. I would love to be more hopeful but no longer have the confidence to raise my hopes too high without evidence. By that, I mean the the sort of commitment and football we saw in the last game over 10 or a dozen games on the trot . 

I will continue to hope but with the codicil it is just as likely not to happen. That way the disappointment and hurt won't be as deep. 

COYS p

34 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

The reasons for optimism described as you have done come across as plausible if not quite realistic. I wouldn't go against them. I certainly hope our season, from the springboard of the last game, soars onwards and upwards, and eventually ends up with a finish that sees us in the CL with some silverware and the squad is bubbling with no one wanting to leave. 

That said, those reasons could also apply to some 7 other clubs. discarding City. If that is true, to put it in more simple terms, it means we have to win 4 or 5 games more than at least 5 of the chasing pack for a 4th place finish. Basically it still relies on at least 5 clubs to do worse than us. If that doesn't happen we have to win the EC. 

In the 6 years I have been using this forum, to steal your phrase, I have seen too many 'false dawns'. I would love to be more hopeful but no longer have the confidence to raise my hopes too high without evidence. By that, I mean the the sort of commitment and football we saw in the last game over 10 or a dozen games on the trot . 

I will continue to hope but with the codicil it is just as likely not to happen. That way the disappointment and hurt won't be as deep. 

COYS p

Your comments are noted and I agree with the point you are making but I would argue that the word 'realistic' simply cannot be applied to this Covid season of football. Apart from City running away with the league everyone else is having a rollercoaster ride and nothing is predictable. When Spurs are on form and Jose chooses an attacking formation then we are a worthy adversary for anybody. I can see us getting at least 14pts from our next six games if we maintain our current momentum and within that six match timeline the fixtures for the teams currently above us are full of potential pitfalls.

We have 13 games left including tonight's match. Let's return to this thread after we have played another six games and on the evening of April 17th after the Everton match we will see if the picture has changed in our favour and your cautiousness has hopefully been replaced by positive enthusiasm. :16:

1 hour ago, KCspurs said:

We are 8th on 39 points but 4th place is the Spammers on 45 points, and we have a game in hand on them. With 13 games to play, top 4 is still completely realistic

As I said a great comparison is Man Utd...second on 51 pts and we have two games in hand. They lose to City, we win our games in hand and then we beat them on April 10th.....Happy Days

:16:

Another night of surprises. Liverpool lose their 5th consecutive home match for the first time in the history of the club.

The table now looks like this :

94509016_Screenshot_2021-03-04PremierLeague(SkySports).png.8526cf849e6083b3a889e83f4a7921ab.png

One point behind Liverpool and a game in hand,  four behind Everton, five behind Chelsea but a game in hand, eight behind Leicester but a game in hand. It really is anybody's guess what happens next but any of these teams who can now put together a solid run of games is destined for a top four finish. Personally I think Liverpool are on a slippery slope, as are Leicester and Man Utd are impressing no-one with boring draws. It's Chelsea and Everton who are currently looking positive and we need one of them to start to crumble soon.

Keep the faith lads, the fat lady ain't singing yet :16:

An good piece on The Athletic makes several interesting points about why Spurs have underachieved for this stretch December - February. In simple terms, the defense has conceded the third-fewest goals in the league this season, and we've scored the 6th most goals.

On balance we should be in the top 4. It's our habit of snatching draws from the jaws of victory that is the issue, all these frustrating 1-1 draws where we led in the game, the 3-3 West Ham debacle.

Jose is more or less correct, we've been doomed in many cases by some exceptionally badly timed individual errors in the defense in tight games. Newcastle, Palace, Wolves, Fulham, West Ham, and it almost happened against Fulham again yesterday with Sanchez clearing the ball straight into an attacker.

But we've mainly suffered because there's been a lack of linking play. We have maybe the best attackers in the world with Bale coming into form, but we still struggle to go and get the second goal. We shouldn't be in a thrilling/terrifying final 10 minutes against a relegation candidate, not because our defense was bad, they were pretty good yesterday. We shouldn't be in that sort of a game because we should get more than 1 goal with the attackers we have.

1 hour ago, KCspurs said:

An good piece on The Athletic makes several interesting points about why Spurs have underachieved for this stretch December - February. In simple terms, the defense has conceded the third-fewest goals in the league this season, and we've scored the 6th most goals.

On balance we should be in the top 4. It's our habit of snatching draws from the jaws of victory that is the issue, all these frustrating 1-1 draws where we led in the game, the 3-3 West Ham debacle.

Jose is more or less correct, we've been doomed in many cases by some exceptionally badly timed individual errors in the defense in tight games. Newcastle, Palace, Wolves, Fulham, West Ham, and it almost happened against Fulham again yesterday with Sanchez clearing the ball straight into an attacker.

But we've mainly suffered because there's been a lack of linking play. We have maybe the best attackers in the world with Bale coming into form, but we still struggle to go and get the second goal. We shouldn't be in a thrilling/terrifying final 10 minutes against a relegation candidate, not because our defense was bad, they were pretty good yesterday. We shouldn't be in that sort of a game because we should get more than 1 goal with the attackers we have.

Nailed it !

On my laptop today, instead of my picture when I open up, it shows Borodin's glass of Guinness!! And me having been tea total for 4 years now. 

Kindly remove it, sir. I have my reputation to think of.

COYS