Spurs Web
Sign in to follow this  
Borodin

Spurs Scrap Heap Challenge

Let us first create some imaginary rules. You are the manager of Spurs and Daniel Levy has told you he will fully back you financially regarding new players so finding replacements is not a problem. Your first job is to dump the dead wood currently responsible for the team's lacklustre/negative performances. Who goes on your scrapheap as not good enough to help us challenge for trophies ? You are under no pressure to justify your choices, simply name names.

Here's mine (in no particular order) Winks, Dier, Alli, Doherty, Sanchez, Sissoko, Vinicius, Lamela, Bergwijn, Hart, Davies. That's a whole football team of eleven players. A sad indictment of our current situation (and I was very tempted to add Lloris).

Okay, let's see your choices......

ha! I actually wrote up this list in bed last night whilst stewing over the awful result and overall state of our team/squad!

I’m keeping a few of your options as ‘useful squad players’ for some lower level matches, based on current performances and/or potential to get better as they’re still young: 

This is my rogues gallery... 

Aurier - sell

Dier - sell

Dele - sell

Sissoko - sell

Winks - sell 

Hart - sell 

Sanchez - sell 

Foyth - sell

Vinicius - send back

Caveats:

Dele (potentially) to be retained if a new manager comes in who wants to try and work with him/play to his strengths. 

6 minutes ago, Jay Kane said:

To be honest I’d keep kane,son,Toby,hojbjerg,bale,moura, the rest can go..

Ndombele, Reguilon and Lo Celso to be dumped ?..... hmmm. So we are left with the magnificent SIX :16:. Well at least you couldn't doubt their attitude or commitment.

I wouldn’t make any decisions until I understand  the situation with the players behind the scenes.

I tend to think that Mourinho has made a right mess of things and that alone is cause to reflect and offer everyone an opportunity.

if I were Levy (and this is true) I would remove Mourinho,  bring in a trusted caretaker Manager like Harry or Hoddle and let them assess the players for the balance of this season.  Decisions can then be made under a “clean slate” for all.

Nobody here can actually tell me that a player just forgets how to play football.

I was going to have a go, but I neither believe nor trust Mr Levy would keep his promise to fund the replacements. As soon as I signed as manager, he would vastly reduce the amount, decide he would do the bargaining and refuse to buy those he didn't want. 

I will remain as a ball boy so that I get a free ringside seat at every home game. 

COYS 

1 hour ago, Jamesinashby said:

I was going to have a go, but I neither believe nor trust Mr Levy would keep his promise to fund the replacements. As soon as I signed as manager, he would vastly reduce the amount, decide he would do the bargaining and refuse to buy those he didn't want. 

I will remain as a ball boy so that I get a free ringside seat at every home game. 

COYS 

Go on, have a break from sitting on that fence. Don't cloud the issue with doubt, I described the scenario, you have Levy's full backing. So come on James, who is sitting on your scrapheap...be honest.

I wouldn't necessarily make sweeping changes, as having a squad with too many super players, means some being upset with the rotation needed with the number of games to be played by the successful top teams. 

I would sell the following:-

Hart, Aurier, Bergwijn, Sanchez, Dier, Sissoko, Winks, Lamela, and Vinicius. 

Lloris, Kane, Son, Moura, Bale, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Aulderweirald, Hojbjerg, Alli, Tanganga, Reguilon, Doherty and Davies would be there for continuity and to fight for their places with the really top class players I would bring in. 

I would bring Skipp back off loan and possibly Gazzaniga to replace Hart.

That should leave a couple of places to give the occasional game from the bench for academy players. 

As a hockey player it is possible my choices are based on who I like and who I don't, so probably a load of rubbish. 

COYS 

ps can I go back to my fence now? At my age having to step up and take decisions is harrowing.