Spurs Web
Borodin

The Borodin Diet Starts Now....

I never usually bother with my weight but just lately I've noticed my clothes feeling much tighter on me and this morning I really struggled to get into a pair of jeans. Obviously with lockdown and Winter I have been a lot less active and little treats like scones, crisps and chocolate bars have helped get me through many a rainy day.

So this morning I hopped onto the scales and was totally shocked to see a reading of 13st 8lbs. Now I am 5'10" tall which means I am definitely overweight. I do not intend making a big fuss of it or going on a particular diet or anything, I'll just cut down on all the little treats and also the size of my meal portions.

53h69v.jpg

My incentive is that I get myself fit and lean ready for when the pubs open later this year. My target weight is 11st 8lbs which means ditching two stone by then. I shall weigh myself every Sunday morning and check on my progress.

Wish me luck lads. I won't bore you with a weekly report but I'll put the odd post up in here letting you know how it's all going :16:

(No, the picture is NOT me, just an illustration of how I feel.. :6:)

32 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

When ya weighed yourself ,,did ya take you your wallet out of your back pocket???

I didn't have a back pocket mate...just a bare bum.:two:

You are not alone. 

I was 11 stone (a tad overweight) at the start of the pandemic. I am now 12 stone and have put 2 inches on around my stomach. Some of my trousers I just can't fasten. My diet is much the same so my weight has gone on through losing my activity - no gym and no badminton. In the first lock down I walked almost every day at a fast rate for an hour and a quarter. Because Ashby is undulating, even quite hilly in parts, my weight only went up by 2 or 3 lbs. Sadly, I lost an inch off my biceps and three quarters of an inch off my forearms. 

Since August after getting pneumonia, I couldn't walk as much. Then after having caught Covid, my walking has been greatly reduced and at times non-existent. I perhaps should have cut back on the few treats I allowed myself - instead I had weak moments some days and bought extra - hence the weight gain. I was always a bit upset each time I weakened. However with the pandemic restrictions and my illnesses, I lost control of my ability to be firm! 

Whether it is because I am old or having these wretched illnesses that are denying me the willpower to stay mentally strong,  I do not know. What I now know, is that losing weight will only be achieved through having enough motivation to stick to a diet and to exercise hard. Sadly, my get up and go has got up and gone. My misery will continue until such time I can discover where my get up and go has gone and retrieve it!!

Good luck with your diet, mate. After this year of inactivity, finding the will power to lose 2 stone (though achievable) is one helluva mountain to climb

Apologies for the doom and gloom instead of rousing encouragement, but these days being positive is low on my agenda. 

COYS 

45 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

I would be 10 stone except for my nuts lol 

What a load of bollacks.

A little bird told me that peanuts would look big compared to yours. 

Now Irish ones, Coconuts spring to mind. 

COYS 

4 hours ago, Borodin said:

I never usually bother with my weight but just lately I've noticed my clothes feeling much tighter on me and this morning I really struggled to get into a pair of jeans. Obviously with lockdown and Winter I have been a lot less active and little treats like scones, crisps and chocolate bars have helped get me through many a rainy day.

So this morning I hopped onto the scales and was totally shocked to see a reading of 13st 8lbs. Now I am 5'10" tall which means I am definitely overweight. I do not intend making a big fuss of it or going on a particular diet or anything, I'll just cut down on all the little treats and also the size of my meal portions.

53h69v.jpg

My incentive is that I get myself fit and lean ready for when the pubs open later this year. My target weight is 11st 8lbs which means ditching two stone by then. I shall weigh myself every Sunday morning and check on my progress.

Wish me luck lads. I won't bore you with a weekly report but I'll put the odd post up in here letting you know how it's all going :16:

(No, the picture is NOT me, just an illustration of how I feel.. :6:)

Just blame you Mrs mate if uses a tumble dryers just say she shrinks your clothes it's not you getting bigger:dd:

This week has been hell but I'm slowly getting into it. I've had the 'munchies' for two days and the urge to nibble away at a chocolate bar or packet of crisps has been unbelievable. Bren has been a diamond and made me some sugar free jellies to eat instead. I think lockdown plus Winter have been the two factors to me binge eating. Unable to get out and about in the garden or travel more than 5km from home has caused me to be virtually house bound. This has resulted in me eating something snacky basically just to break the boredom.

We finally managed to get out and do some weeding yesterday which was great. It's raining today but I plan on cutting the grass again on Friday afternoon with good weather forecast for this evening onwards until Sunday.

I'm restricting myself to cereal for breakfast, coffee and some crackers lunchtime and then my main meal about 6.30pm which is something like an omelette or soup and toast. It's reminding me very much of when I went cold turkey with smoking over 30 years ago. The craving was insane for the first week but then gradually I became more and more in control.

I shall weigh myself on Sunday morning and hopefully see I've lost a bit. Fingers crossed.....

53vkfn.jpg

Okay, update :

After the first week of trying to eat less I weighed myself and discovered I had lost nothing :12:. I was still 13st 8lbs which was a massive blow. Bren and I decided we needed to approach the problem from a different angle so we did a calorie count. It appeared that I needed a calorie intake of between 2400 and 2800 a day to maintain my weight based on my age and current exercise activity. I was advised that an intake of 1600 to 2000 would show a weight loss of between 1 to 2 lbs a week dependant on what end of the scale I used. Last Saturday I opted for an intake of no more than 1500 calories a day.

I was quite surprised at what I could eat/drink and enjoy within that range. For example : a glass of red wine = 80, small chocolate bar = 186, small rice pudding = 118, milk for drinks = 12, white bread per slice = 60, fillet steak (200gms) = 310, morning cereal = 100, mixed veg = 40, Bren's delicious gravy = 85, Heinz beans = 156, 4 crackers and cheese spread = 200.

So I have persevered all this week which has been just four full days and weighed myself this morning....I am now 13stone 6lbs which means I have lost 2lbs. I am delighted and reckon if I keep to 1500 I should be averaging 2 to 3 lbs a week :16:. Early days I know but it's such an incentive to realise the plan is working whilst not impinging too much on my daily menu.

So it's not really just a question of quantity but also how many calories your body is burning up in a day and ensuring your intake is significantly less than that so you are using the fat you wish to lose.

Updates to follow....

Great news. 

Sadly this morning I was 12 St 3 lbs - that is 17lbs heavier than the start of the 1st lockdown. 

I would love to start a diet, but at the moment I am comfort eating as it is difficult to not feel miserable and to not feel sorry for myself. 

When I was younger it was easier to 'man up', but now I am old, I am finding it tougher to get a grip and make myself do the right thing. 

These days I just give advice and ignore the good advice others give to me. 

COYS 

Just come off the scales and find I am now exactly 13st which means a total loss of 6lbs since April 8th. To say I am pleased is an understatement. I have limited myself to just 1400 calories a day maximum but eat and drink whatever I like until I hit that figure. So today for lunch I shall be having a 200gms fillet steak with mixed veg and gravy, then a weight watchers double chocolate brownie and a glass of red wine. Total intake = 690 calories. That still leaves me 710 calories to spread across the day which will be morning cereal = 100, coffee/tea with milk (no sugar) = 15 per cup, rich tea biscuits = 43 each and four Jacobs crackers with cheese spread = 200.

This method suits me much better than a strict regimented diet as it allows me to still have my little treats and spread my eating over the day to suit myself. If I can maintain this level of reduction I should reach my target of 11 st 7lbs in the first week of June but I realise it gets harder to shift the longer you go so I will plan for the end of June.

It's my birthday tomorrow (66) so I plan on having at least 320 calories of red wine to help me get through the day :em11:

@Hastingsyid please as a birthday present can we have some more emoji faces to choose from but most importantly a thumbs up sign which I really miss ?? Cheers mate.