Spurs Web
Borodin

Carabao Cup Final SPURS Vs Man City 25/4/21 16:00 K.O.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There wasn’t anybody else on that spurs team that playedas well as them 2 in my opinion,lo celso,please,has been bang average since he signed.

What have the one to do with the other? Lo Celso shouldn’t have come off. He puts his back into the match, without him there was no creativity on the pitch. 

Don’t take that personal, I appreciate your opinion. But the whole offense haven’t done much. Even Harry and Lucas and Son were ghosts. Im not a fan of Winks, but even him showed more than our wingers. Both were kack and Harry seemed exhausted.

this is were the tactics musst be mentioned. Imagine we would have joined in and played along City in a 433? Hojbjerg (CDM), Gio LCM, Ndombele RCM, (btw these are their natural positions), our mid would have been more effective. Defensively and offensively.

Stevie could have been brought instead of Son and use his speed to profit from Citys fatigue in the last third. Dele also proved he can play left and could give us more options with shots from range and his passing skills. Lamela could have come for Lucas, cause yes, believe it or not, this is his natural position. He may be slower, but more creative and put more effort in tackles. Lucas is a light weight, who absolutely has no impact on the match, when its physical and men are defending and not school boys.

But this is something the managers should know, at least anybody of the staff. But we are surrounded of clowns who has no clue. Starting from the chairman!

And Levy wants to play in a Super League. Thats ludicrous and more embarrassing  

Haven't had a chance to read all the posts yet, so not sure if this point has been made yet...

Despite the result, how good was it to see fans back in the stadium. No fake TV recorded fan noise. Our lot gave the team excellent support - hardly heard anything from cities fans.

Not as gutted as I thought I'd be - taking into consideration all the events of the past couple of weeks and Ryan being thrown in at the deep end with very little time to affect any real change.
Did we really believe that we stood a chance against a world class team with a proven world class manager?

Ref was terrible throughout, could / should have been 11 against 10 for a large amount of the game, but in reality it was 11 against 12.

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Don’t think they bottled anything mate,just been beaten by a far superior team.

Jay, I understand. But its not always the stronger or richer team that wins. Poch is the best example, whats possible! His legacy was trodden by Levy, Lewis and Jose.

The sad thing, it was expected, that it will turn out this way

31 minutes ago, Alonso said:

Rubbish, he set the team up well and the Sissoko substitution aside do all that can be expected.  City are a juggernaut or World Club football let alone in England.  There is no shame losing today.  Again, I will say I am proud of the effort and  performance.

two matches in and you can judge that he is not good enough?? That is your emotions talking not your sense 

Sorry, but this mind state is the one of a coward, Alonso and this is how our lads played. I saw City losing to smaller clubs than us. Cause they haven’t hide. 

I give you right that in our situation, its good that we haven’t been raped by the Citizens. Our lads totally lost their confidence. We have given away too many balls that resulted in errors, our offense were nervous and looked like league one players! And thats why it would have needed at least an older and experienced interim who can build there confidence. Ryan is like the teachers pet winning the class representative election - no one cares and no one listens!

I don’t criticize how he set up the team, I criticize his tactics and choice of players. Fucking hell, the same coward pseudo tactics cost us the CL and now the CC. And Sissoko bottled it, again. What a coincidence 

But maybe I‘m unfair and the advice was not to lose binary and embarrass ourselves. So yeah, from that point of view, you are right. Respect for the defensive work. 

It was so tight. Again. What a pity. But hey, it could be worse. We could have lost 10:0.

You are totally right, mate

1 hour ago, Borodin said:

Jose was sacked because we reached the magical figure of 7th in the league and anything outside of top six cut his claimable fee by millions.

Cannot blame anything on Mason...the guy has had no time yet. Let's see how we do rest of the season.

He gets 15 million quid, cause his contract runs out in 2 years. No break clause that saves us from that. Well done Levy. Best negotiator in the world. As long Jose is not signing for another club he lives on our costs. What are you talking about?

Are you trying to protect your father, Josh?

40 minutes ago, GPK said:

Haven't had a chance to read all the posts yet, so not sure if this point has been made yet...

Despite the result, how good was it to see fans back in the stadium. No fake TV recorded fan noise. Our lot gave the team excellent support - hardly heard anything from cities fans.

Not as gutted as I thought I'd be - taking into consideration all the events of the past couple of weeks and Ryan being thrown in at the deep end with very little time to affect any real change.
Did we really believe that we stood a chance against a world class team with a proven world class manager?

Ref was terrible throughout, could / should have been 11 against 10 for a large amount of the game, but in reality it was 11 against 12.

Agree. But I found they all went silent when Citeh scored

1 minute ago, Spurfect said:

Jay, I understand. But its not always the stronger or richer team that wins. Poch is the best example, whats possible! His legacy was trodden by Levy, Lewis and Jose.

The sad thing, it was expected, that it will turn out this way

As I pointed out earlier, Spurfect, the gulf between the 2 teams is immense. The task was always going to be a mountain to climb. 

Considering the pressure we were under in the 1st half, there was some heroic defending to stop them rattling in a hat full. Hugo is back to his best when the defence couldn't get a block in. 

It is irrelevant as to who is to blame for finishing up with the squad Ryan Mason has at his disposal. That is history. For me, the worry is that we are well short of reliable top players and, if we are too be in contention for a top 4 finish next season, we need to ship out half a dozen or more players who, best, are average bench players. It is going to be difficult to attract in the calibre of players we need. To make matters worse, we have to avoid losing Harry and some of the better players. 

For me, what happened on the pitch today is a disappointment, but doesn't feature in the woes of the club. I am very concerned that next season we may well be back to the level of pre Poch days. We were lucky when Poch took over as the players we bought developed into very good players under his guidance. It doesn't follow that it will automatically happen. 

There is an abundance of talent available that could come in. However, it is not simply a case of walking into a shop and buying them off a shelf. We may well not be the club they want to come to. Also, it is unlikely if DL is still in charge, his record is that he can be outbid with the transfer fee and wages to deter them from coming. 

I  am feeling very sad, not so much that we lost, but because the future looks worrying to me. 

COYS 

The worst thing of this team is that we always wait for the other team to score. Then we start playing something. If City would have scored in the first half, it would have been better. In the last 30 mins city were tired, it was not the case we could not push, we were very afraid, it was 0-0, maybe ET and maybe penalties, who knows? This is crap small club strategy. 

Mason had the chance of his life. He lost it, now goodbye, we need a real manager this summer. 

Im ashamed, how many relativize this performance by saying we have lost against a stronger team. Just to remind you, we already have beaten the „oh so superior team“! That really hurts. 

We have fucking beaten REAL MADRID.

So relativize that!

I‘m out

ps. Maybe a bit childish. Anyway, Levy is a nincompoop who jerks off to dolphins!

1 hour ago, Mihai said:

The worst thing of this team is that we always wait for the other team to score. Then we start playing something. If City would have scored in the first half, it would have been better. In the last 30 mins city were tired, it was not the case we could not push, we were very afraid, it was 0-0, maybe ET and maybe penalties, who knows? This is crap small club strategy. 

Mason had the chance of his life. He lost it, now goodbye, we need a real manager this summer. 

Let's get things into perspective. Mason took over as 'interim' head coach just five days ago with our top striker injured. In his first match in that role against Southampton the team recovered from a 1-0 deficit half time score to come back and win 2-1, without Kane. We have just played against the team who are walking away with the Premier League title, had won this Cup for the last three consecutive seasons (now four) and are playing in the Champion's League Semi Finals on Wednesday against PSG. They were in superb form and threw everything except the kitchen sink at us in the first half and we managed to cling on thanks to desperate defending and an in form Hugo Lloris.

Ryan Mason is 29 years old so to say today was 'the chance of his life' is rather premature as far as his managerial career goes. I think he did what he could with what he had available to him today and am also absolutely certain that Daniel Levy would definitely not have taken the decision to make him permanent manager if we had, by some miracle, been able to win the Cup today.

All fairness to Pep he played Foden, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Gundogan and Sterling right from the kick off despite the upcoming PSG match. That itself was a sign of the respect he had for a Spurs side minus the negativity of Mourinho.

Lo Celso and Reguilon were terrible, Son is just uninterested, Kane only 75% fit and despite excellent performances from Lloris and Alderwiereld the rest were average.

So yes I fully agree we need a new manager (and a load of better players) this Summer, but to infer that Ryan Mason has somehow thrown away a golden chance of being named the next Head Coach of Tottenham Hotspur by not being able to motivate the squad to beat Man City after just 5 days in charge is rather harsh and naive to say the least.

Let's see how many league game wins Mr Mason has under his belt at the end of this season. He'll have be in the dugout for a total of 6 matches (18pts) and we already have 3.

:2074087892_yid1:

21 minutes ago, BlockFeet said:

Why can’t we just win something for once? Just once. Seriously. It’s so f***ing annoying. 

Odds massively stacked against us today looking at the sheer quality of the opposition. Man City have won 30 of their last 33 matches which is staggeringly consistent. The scoreline certainly does not reflect the total dominance they had over us in this match. I totally understand and share your frustration but the simple answer to your question is that we don't currently have a team good enough to win anything.

Don't let our appearance in this final fool anyone, apart from the narrow win against Chelsea it's hardly been top opposition we have faced.

Let's look at our 'League Cup Run' closely

3rd Round  Leyton Orient give us a bye through to next  round due to Covid

4th Round Draw 1-1 against Chelsea but win 5-4 on penalties.

Quarter Final Beat Championship side Stoke City 3-1

Semi Final Beat Championship side Brentford 2-0

So let's look at City's road to Wembley

3rd Round Beat Championship side Bournemouth 2-1

4th Round Beat Burnley 3 - 0

Quarter Final Beat Arsenal 4-1

Semi Final  Beat Man Utd 2-1

We will win something when we have the right mentality, a much better team, an inspiring and ambitious manager and a Chairman/ Owner committed to the success of the club and not  just the profit and loss columns on the annual balance sheets.

It will come, you have to believe that will happen. That belief is written in the DNA of every true Spurs supporter.

2 hours ago, BlockFeet said:

Why can’t we just win something for once? Just once. Seriously. It’s so f***ing annoying. 

I know something like that feeling, I grew up in an NFL city with a team that won nothing for 50 years, and for much of that time was never in contention. But then our time came and it was well worth it. Primarily because you know that you were there for them the whole time. 

46 minutes ago, KCspurs said:

I know something like that feeling, I grew up in an NFL city with a team that won nothing for 50 years, and for much of that time was never in contention. But then our time came and it was well worth it. Primarily because you know that you were there for them the whole time. 

Exactly....!!

10 hours ago, Spurfect said:

What have the one to do with the other? Lo Celso shouldn’t have come off. He puts his back into the match, without him there was no creativity on the pitch. 

Don’t take that personal, I appreciate your opinion. But the whole offense haven’t done much. Even Harry and Lucas and Son were ghosts. Im not a fan of Winks, but even him showed more than our wingers. Both were kack and Harry seemed exhausted.

this is were the tactics musst be mentioned. Imagine we would have joined in and played along City in a 433? Hojbjerg (CDM), Gio LCM, Ndombele RCM, (btw these are their natural positions), our mid would have been more effective. Defensively and offensively.

Stevie could have been brought instead of Son and use his speed to profit from Citys fatigue in the last third. Dele also proved he can play left and could give us more options with shots from range and his passing skills. Lamela could have come for Lucas, cause yes, believe it or not, this is his natural position. He may be slower, but more creative and put more effort in tackles. Lucas is a light weight, who absolutely has no impact on the match, when its physical and men are defending and not school boys.

But this is something the managers should know, at least anybody of the staff. But we are surrounded of clowns who has no clue. Starting from the chairman!

And Levy wants to play in a Super League. Thats ludicrous and more embarrassing  

The attack was as drab as the AWFUL strip. Jose would have been proud. 

Lo Celso terrible???? Really our one shot on target. Many key forward passes . Son was terrible tho im not against him as he is due a stinker but he should have had the nous to put himself against Laporte who was on a yellow but we have no players with their own brains now as jose scared self thought out of the squad. Rose and Dele showed they had their own minds and jose treated them like lepers cos of it

12 hours ago, Borodin said:

Ryan Mason is 29 years old so to say today was 'the chance of his life' is rather premature as far as his managerial career goes. I think he did what he could with what he had available to him today and am also absolutely certain that Daniel Levy would definitely not have taken the decision to make him permanent manager if we had, by some miracle, been able to win the Cup today.

Usually a manager should take it step by step, from a lower league club, improve and move to a bigger club. There are moments like this, when you have a big opportunity and you can jump some steps and have success directly with a big club. Mason with a cup in hand would be maybe hard to be changed at the end of the season. Sorry but I don't believe he will manage a club like Spurs ever again in his career. 

Ryan mason knew that he only has to the end of the season,,,he doesn’t even have his professional coaching badge yet ,,,,he is doing his best in a very shit situation,,,I am sure who ever takes over as manager will keep him as one off the 1 st team coaches.

we were out played yesterday,,the players looked drained mentally,,,,with everything that’s happened I think the players a break ,,,,I think we will have to get used to Kane and son ,,and Hugo all leaving next season ,,,so more tough times in front off spurs 

15 hours ago, GPK said:

I realise what you mean regarding the 10 men but there's a question that needs asking regarding that. City are renowned for what many call the 'professional' foul and so many of their players take a yellow in order to avoid a counter attack during games. It has to be asked whether or not Laporte would have pulled out of the second tackle had he already have been yellow carded and knew he was risking a sending off ??. As a professional player I think he would and probably allowed another of his team mates to do the dirty work.

after yesterdays shit show i look at son and i believe he has 5 games left for us,hes gone,he wasnt good at all,just looks like the fight has left him. we defended pretty well considering the last couple of months and the crap they were playing like,it was definately the front 3 that was the problem ,son uninterested,kane too slow and not fit and moura did try but is just too lightweight, there was just no desire in them, couldnt string 3 passes together,at this level its absurd. i know laporte should have walked but we dont get those bits of luck. i actually thought the more the game went on we ,with just a bit of quality we could have nicked it, instead what was ryan mason thinking bringing on that utter clown sissoko, hes non league at best, a complete waste of time, we were in a cup final and he brings on someone who is way out of his depth,past his sell by date for sure.i know some on here would disagree but that is 2 cup finals he has cost us because he is clueless,other managers see this idiot and poune on it. need a real good clearout and a reboot this summer and see where that takes us because we cannot carryon like this, its humiliating . when the stadium is back to full voice this team would need to buck up their ideas, when the paying fans are buying the hefty pricetag to go and watch this ,we will want better than that in return. win lose or draw we will follow.COYS.

27 minutes ago, Borodin said:

I realise what you mean regarding the 10 men but there's a question that needs asking regarding that. City are renowned for what many call the 'professional' foul and so many of their players take a yellow in order to avoid a counter attack during games. It has to be asked whether or not Laporte would have pulled out of the second tackle had he already have been yellow carded and knew he was risking a sending off ??. As a professional player I think he would and probably allowed another of his team mates to do the dirty work.

and yet despite him being on a last chance yellow, not one of our players played on him ,amateurs, wind him up, back into him, foul him and try to get a reaction , sod him take it passed him, invite him to foul, go down easily if he does but no we are too nice, like Jose said the one thing he got right, Spurs are TOO NICE , unlike me 

Still can’t get over mason putting sissoko on as a sub at 0-0.

it’s like our managers don’t watch our games 

crazy.

we all knew it was wrong from the moment the board went up with his number on

anyone but him

And lo and behold sissoko , one of the tallest, strongest & freshest players on the pitch can’t be bothered to fight with Laporte to clear our lines and we concede 

also the problem when we tried to get forward as he had no clue what to do with the ball at his feet

how is it that only Harry Kane (even if injured) can make something happen with the ball at his feet

100k a week for sissoko he should be paid £10 a week for what he brings 

mason should have known this 

This is endemic in football and every club uses it.

Son faked a light tap in the face trying to get some one sent off. Harry Kane did it yesterday when replays showed he hadn't been caught. In every match you see players cheating with an over reaction. 

Pundits and commentators don't help by saying, "He's taken one for the club", and sometimes saying, "He had to do that as he was through on goal". 

The problem is not with the players, it is with the those who run the sport and make the rules. It started creeping in years ago and the authorities failed to bring in severe punishments to stop it. If they used post match bans followed by fines if clubs and players persisted, it would never have reached this stage. 

It is now part and partial of the game - both sides appealing and surrounding the ref. The is no other option for all the clubs getting the players to do it. The expenses involved in running a club these days is phenomenal. To allow other clubs to beat you by cheating is suicidal. 

If the authorities cannot come with a workable way of stopping it we are stuck with it and it will remain a part of a club's arsenal to avoid being cheated out of the result you deserve. 

I hate it as my generation was brought that sportsmanship counted more than winning. That said, the late Princ Phillip said, "Life deal's you a hand, so get on with it". So as much as it grieves me to say it, I agree with Audere. If you have to get a man sent off to win, as every club does it, we have to do the same. 

I used to to feel upset when our lads did it, I felt we were dropping down to their level. Now, I reluctantly have realised that if that is the way of the world, I have to accept it with the hope that EUFA, Fifa and the FA can find the courage and the way to stamp it out. 

COYS 

2 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

This is endemic in football and every club uses it.

Son faked a light tap in the face trying to get some one sent off. Harry Kane did it yesterday when replays showed he hadn't been caught. In every match you see players cheating with an over reaction. 

Pundits and commentators don't help by saying, "He's taken one for the club", and sometimes saying, "He had to do that as he was through on goal". 

The problem is not with the players, it is with the those who run the sport and make the rules. It started creeping in years ago and the authorities failed to bring in severe punishments to stop it. If they used post match bans followed by fines if clubs and players persisted, it would never have reached this stage. 

It is now part and partial of the game - both sides appealing and surrounding the ref. The is no other option for all the clubs getting the players to do it. The expenses involved in running a club these days is phenomenal. To allow other clubs to beat you by cheating is suicidal. 

If the authorities cannot come with a workable way of stopping it we are stuck with it and it will remain a part of a club's arsenal to avoid being cheated out of the result you deserve. 

I hate it as my generation was brought that sportsmanship counted more than winning. That said, the late Princ Phillip said, "Life deal's you a hand, so get on with it". So as much as it grieves me to say it, I agree with Audere. If you have to get a man sent off to win, as every club does it, we have to do the same. 

I used to to feel upset when our lads did it, I felt we were dropping down to their level. Now, I reluctantly have realised that if that is the way of the world, I have to accept it with the hope that EUFA, Fifa and the FA can find the courage and the way to stamp it out. 

COYS 

True James but how often is the reverse spoken about when a defender blatantly fouls a player and instead of going down the striker takes a shot off balance or in a worse position and misses and no penalty/free kick is awarded.

I don’t blame players making a meal of everything nowadays particularly with VAR as it’s the only way to get a decision looked at if it’s been missed by reluctant referees or linesmen.

It’s a tricky one to get right because no one talks about cheating defenders - pulling shirts, studs down the back of legs,  taking players out before they get into dangerous positions (Laporte etc).

you can’t have it one way and not the other and with VAR the playing field for cheating has evened up so strikers can play the game too or defenders can’t get away with it as often