Jump to content
Spurs Web
Borodin

Roy Keane remarks on Spurs 'softness'...

Recommended Posts

Checkout this link :

https://streamable.com/hwinm6

Now I don't particularly like Keane but he does 'tell it like he sees it' and I am inclined to agree with his remarks. Yes we have had some great sides as Jamie Redknapp points out but we've had nothing to show for them. I've watched us play over the last 40 years and the 'softness' he refers to has been noticeable.

The author of the article then writes :

Given that Roy Keane and I have both been watching Spurs play for the same number of years, all I can tell those that are struggling with his claim that Spurs have been soft for forty years, that he’s right – well – nearly right. We had something about us in the 1980s. Those were amazing times to be a Tottenham fan. But even then, we weren’t title contenders. The FA Cups went down a treat, but when we won the UEFA Cup, it just about blew everyone’s mind. It shocked few when ‘normal service’ was resumed.

I take a view that we had a great opportunity to become something special under Birkenshaw and Pochettino, but ENIC is no more interested in Spurs being a success on the green stuff than Irving Scholar was. Further, I’d d suggest some fans stop using any other metric other than trophies. As I’ve made the point before; professional sport only works one way. If that weren’t the case, golf courses would have no holes and racecourses wouldn’t have a finish line.

Keane is right. Listen to him, and stop making ‘short’ excuses, like blaming this that or the other. Spurs’ malaise is bigger picture stuff and unless atypical elements such as Birkenshaw or Pochettino are occasionally thrown into the equation, there is no hope of meaningful change.

Redknapp thinks winning is …err, not quite winning. Presumably, Jamie’s mind must also use phrases like almost a genius and, a little bit pregnant.

Full link : https://theboyhotspur.com/listen-to-roy-keane-talking-about-spurs-and-listen-well/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is odd that, even when we have had a reasonable squad, we seem to lack the ability to not let the pressure get to us. 

Perhaps Spurfect is right and we have had bent players taking a back hander or bent referees supplementing poor wages!!  LOL

COYS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting points.

I think the added pressure on Spurs comes from the whole club, at every level, being absolutely desperate for some kind of trophy success to go with our excellent off-field progress. Everyone knows it.

The trouble is You need to get proven trophy winners into the side to change the current chokers mentality, who are almost always too expensive for Spurs in terms of fee or wages. 

We do have Lloris, Bale and Hart in the squad who have all been big winners elsewhere, but everyone else is really either up and coming or a nearly-man. You can of course have talented fearless younger players and great coaching - which ALMOST worked with Poch!

When we were in the (relatively close) title ‘chase’ season with Leicester, I also noted on several occasion opposition players and managers praising Leicester City and saying they’d much prefer Leicester to win than Spurs. I thought that was very unprofessional but for me shows that other teams sometimes raise their game more against Spurs to stop us winning anything! 

Just some more thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was talking to my Man Utd supporting friend yesterday (well, someone has to talk to him).

He was saying that long before Utd had that long spell of being top dog, the team Utd always wanted to beat was Spurs. We were the bench mark team to beat because we were recognised as the best football playing team. 

Sadly, that is no longer the case. 

COYS 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

I was talking to my Man Utd supporting friend yesterday (well, someone has to talk to him).

He was saying that long before Utd had that long spell of being top dog, the team Utd always wanted to beat was Spurs. We were the bench mark team to beat because we were recognised as the best football playing team. 

Sadly, that is no longer the case. 

COYS 

I think the top teams still love to beat us as they know we are (or were?) relatively close to muscling in on their act. 

A bit off topic, but based on how little we’ve won over past 30 or so years, it is amazing that we’re globally the 10th richest club. That business achievement must (surely? Hopefully?) eventually translate to sustained success on the pitch. 

Oh to be the 10th most successful club in the world in term of league/cup success. That would do me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BlockFeet said:

I think the top teams still love to beat us as they know we are (or were?) relatively close to muscling in on their act. 

A bit off topic, but based on how little we’ve won over past 30 or so years, it is amazing that we’re globally the 10th richest club. That business achievement must (surely? Hopefully?) eventually translate to sustained success on the pitch. 

Oh to be the 10th most successful club in the world in term of league/cup success. That would do me! 

Sadly my friend this achievement illustrates perfectly how being a rich club does not guarantee you any success on the pitch and trophies.... except perhaps Daniel Levy picking up the "Accountant Of The Year Award 2021".

Look at Barcelona now wallowing in hideous debt, but what a ride they took the supporters on the past few years, picking up trophy after trophy. I'm not in any way condoning that sort of irresponsible behaviour but if this club is willing to invest substantial amounts of money to give itself the best football stadium in the World then it seems to me only a natural progression that it would then attempt to put together a football team of equal stature.

Our ground was a £1 billion project...think what sort of a team we could put out if 25% of that (£250m) was spent on some quality players to match that kind of commitment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok ,,to everything but Roy Keane wanted Jose out off man Utd before they won the2 trophies,,he talks shite ,,point he said anyone who goes out on loan from there parent clubs must be crap ,,,hmmmmmmm Harry Kane ,,,Roy how many did he go too lol dopey lukaka,,,salah,,,hmmm oh dear silly man 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you remove Roy Keane from the equation and just look at the content of his comments I really do struggle to disagree with him. We have had great players and played some wonderful football but when it comes to what I call the 'business end' of competitions (semi finals and finals) and title ambitions we are always sadly lacking and have been for many years. As a team we seem to either surrender or commit ghastly errors rather than get beaten in these crucial games. Rarely, very rarely do I watch a game we lose and think "That's the best we can play and they beat us, so I cannot argue with the result". It's nearly always a case of blaming wrong tactics or wrong team selection. We have all of the ingredients for a top side but we keep choosing the wrong chef as manager who then completely messes up the recipe for success.

So whilst I detest Mr Keane I have to stand by his overall view of our history. It's a question of 'Don't tell me how good you are...show me what you have won'. Any team's true success is only measured by looking in the record books to see what they have won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spurs do have reputation for softness, hence the whole “spursy” adjective that has come about in recent years. 
It’s a history of choking at key moments, so many near misses etc. Coupled with the perception that Spurs fans are too cocky when they have nothing to crow about. Fans of other teams love to knock tottenham, in London I’d say we are universally disliked, or hated in West Ham and Chelsea’s case which to be honest I feel is largely down to the perception that Spurs is a Jewish club and so there is the anti-Semitic influence on the overall narrative that spurs are chokers and bottlers. The use by some of our fans of the Y word, whilst borne out of good intentions, is an issue, it empowers fans of other clubs (and some pundits) to bring the racial aspect of their hate and fuels their energy for knocking the club any way they can. Question for another post I know but I do feel this feeds into the whole “let’s knock spurs” whether it be spursy, or for spurs fans “arrogance” etc. 
 

For me the club has an image problem which I think to be fair to Levy he was trying to address when he got Mouriniho in, ie just get trophies in the cabinet. What is lost in the whole “they’re” soft rhetoric is how we are punching above our weight on net spend. What levy fails to realise is that we need to have a big investment in top players and wages to match. The only way tottenham are going to shake this image problem and actually win stuff is with obscenely rich owners who are willing to throw money at it.  That’s not knocking Mr Lewis or Levy/ENIC, structurally and financially they have grown the club brilliantly off the pitch but the image problem is a yoke around the clubs neck. Just the fact that the club goes on about the magnificent stadium and training facilities (they are superb tbf) without seemingly spending the same on the playing staff engenders a club that is all about show and no substance with other fans and media. 
 

For me it’s a classic case of “it’s the hope that kills you”. As I grow older the arbitrary nature and faux tribalism of fandom is increasingly apparent to me, football really brings out the worst in people when they latch on to perceptions and silly inter club rivalries. If it dictates how you view or behave towards people then there is something wrong with you mentally, that’s my view.

long rant to say yes there is a perceived softness to tottenham over the years, some justified, some unfair, lots of contributing factors to why and what fuels it.

if you got this far, well done, you’ve reached the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dazza1976 said:

Spurs do have reputation for softness, hence the whole “spursy” adjective that has come about in recent years. 
It’s a history of choking at key moments, so many near misses etc. Coupled with the perception that Spurs fans are too cocky when they have nothing to crow about. Fans of other teams love to knock tottenham, in London I’d say we are universally disliked, or hated in West Ham and Chelsea’s case which to be honest I feel is largely down to the perception that Spurs is a Jewish club and so there is the anti-Semitic influence on the overall narrative that spurs are chokers and bottlers. The use by some of our fans of the Y word, whilst borne out of good intentions, is an issue, it empowers fans of other clubs (and some pundits) to bring the racial aspect of their hate and fuels their energy for knocking the club any way they can. Question for another post I know but I do feel this feeds into the whole “let’s knock spurs” whether it be spursy, or for spurs fans “arrogance” etc. 
 

For me the club has an image problem which I think to be fair to Levy he was trying to address when he got Mouriniho in, ie just get trophies in the cabinet. What is lost in the whole “they’re” soft rhetoric is how we are punching above our weight on net spend. What levy fails to realise is that we need to have a big investment in top players and wages to match. The only way tottenham are going to shake this image problem and actually win stuff is with obscenely rich owners who are willing to throw money at it.  That’s not knocking Mr Lewis or Levy/ENIC, structurally and financially they have grown the club brilliantly off the pitch but the image problem is a yoke around the clubs neck. Just the fact that the club goes on about the magnificent stadium and training facilities (they are superb tbf) without seemingly spending the same on the playing staff engenders a club that is all about show and no substance with other fans and media. 
 

For me it’s a classic case of “it’s the hope that kills you”. As I grow older the arbitrary nature and faux tribalism of fandom is increasingly apparent to me, football really brings out the worst in people when they latch on to perceptions and silly inter club rivalries. If it dictates how you view or behave towards people then there is something wrong with you mentally, that’s my view.

long rant to say yes there is a perceived softness to tottenham over the years, some justified, some unfair, lots of contributing factors to why and what fuels it.

if you got this far, well done, you’ve reached the end.

Great post..nailed it !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dazza1976 said:

Spurs do have reputation for softness, hence the whole “spursy” adjective that has come about in recent years. 
It’s a history of choking at key moments, so many near misses etc. Coupled with the perception that Spurs fans are too cocky when they have nothing to crow about. Fans of other teams love to knock tottenham, in London I’d say we are universally disliked, or hated in West Ham and Chelsea’s case which to be honest I feel is largely down to the perception that Spurs is a Jewish club and so there is the anti-Semitic influence on the overall narrative that spurs are chokers and bottlers. The use by some of our fans of the Y word, whilst borne out of good intentions, is an issue, it empowers fans of other clubs (and some pundits) to bring the racial aspect of their hate and fuels their energy for knocking the club any way they can. Question for another post I know but I do feel this feeds into the whole “let’s knock spurs” whether it be spursy, or for spurs fans “arrogance” etc. 
 

For me the club has an image problem which I think to be fair to Levy he was trying to address when he got Mouriniho in, ie just get trophies in the cabinet. What is lost in the whole “they’re” soft rhetoric is how we are punching above our weight on net spend. What levy fails to realise is that we need to have a big investment in top players and wages to match. The only way tottenham are going to shake this image problem and actually win stuff is with obscenely rich owners who are willing to throw money at it.  That’s not knocking Mr Lewis or Levy/ENIC, structurally and financially they have grown the club brilliantly off the pitch but the image problem is a yoke around the clubs neck. Just the fact that the club goes on about the magnificent stadium and training facilities (they are superb tbf) without seemingly spending the same on the playing staff engenders a club that is all about show and no substance with other fans and media. 
 

For me it’s a classic case of “it’s the hope that kills you”. As I grow older the arbitrary nature and faux tribalism of fandom is increasingly apparent to me, football really brings out the worst in people when they latch on to perceptions and silly inter club rivalries. If it dictates how you view or behave towards people then there is something wrong with you mentally, that’s my view.

long rant to say yes there is a perceived softness to tottenham over the years, some justified, some unfair, lots of contributing factors to why and what fuels it.

if you got this far, well done, you’ve reached the end.

For me, you have hit the nail on the head with, 'the arbitrary nature and faux tribalism of fandom'. 

I have always felt uncomfortable with having to go along with being expected to hate the fan of other clubs. Too often I have allowed myself to mock in a nasty way just to remain part of the crowd. I know so many people supporting other clubs and we get on well and discuss football in a friendly way, inter-spaced with banter. 

All that said I used to watch in the grounds in the 80s when all the fighting between fans went. I was almost put off with following football. I could remember the the times when fans sat by side in the stands and enjoyed chatting to the opposing supporters. We'd discuss how our team had been doing during the season. There was none of the vile chants and abuse hurled at the players and officials. 

Sadly, by the 1980s, the younger generation had taken over. Politeness and good manners were replaced by thuggery and nastiness. These days we live in a horrible world with trolling and abusiveness being the norm. Funny banter has been replaced by hurtful and cruel comments. They get away with it because it is not done face to face on a one to one basis. It is either done anonymously or by several ganging up against one.

That's my rant over. 

COYS 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×