Jump to content
Spurs Web
Jamesinashby

European Super league

Recommended Posts

I’d be amazed if this doesn’t get blocked at government level, they will clamp down on the clubs in the so called super league. 
Yes I’m sure many spurs fans like the idea of 2-3 billion when we are so in debt but it smacks of greed and it’s not a fair competition. 
football died a long time ago, this feels like another death. Don’t get me wrong I would love to see spurs do well but they won’t win this new super league. 
again I think the reaction tells you everything you need to know, I cannot see this Super league happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Dazza1976 said:

I’d be amazed if this doesn’t get blocked at government level, they will clamp down on the clubs in the so called super league. 
Yes I’m sure many spurs fans like the idea of 2-3 billion when we are so in debt but it smacks of greed and it’s not a fair competition. 
football died a long time ago, this feels like another death. Don’t get me wrong I would love to see spurs do well but they won’t win this new super league. 
again I think the reaction tells you everything you need to know, I cannot see this Super league happening. 

The main worry for me is that whilst I watch the country rise against this idea and the likes of Neville and Carragher appearing on TV and trying to rally the fans to stop it I then consider who they are up against.

Make no mistake, with just the 6 UK clubs involved you are dealing with some of the most experienced and hard nosed businessmen in the World today. To imagine for one minute that they have not sought legal advice at the highest level prior to making this announcement is both reckless and naive. They have investment bank JP Morgan supporting them to the tune of $6 billion. Their top executives are giving up their UEFA positions and the clubs are leaving the European Club Association.

This is no half hearted effort doomed to failure as soon as the likes of the FA, UEFA or FIFA try to block it. These people are the owners of the clubs and the power they wield by being so is immense. The effect of throwing them out of domestic and European league competition would cause a backlash which would damage the whole fabric of the game as we know it.

I am totally against the proposal but never underestimate the business acumen of these people or think that this has not been the result of years of careful planning. The cat is now out of the bag and a tidal wave of opposition will follow but unless it can be backed up legally then these power mongers will ride the storm and eventually have their way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Borodin said:

The main worry for me is that whilst I watch the country rise against this idea and the likes of Neville and Carragher appearing on TV and trying to rally the fans to stop it I then consider who they are up against.

Make no mistake, with just the 6 UK clubs involved you are dealing with some of the most experienced and hard nosed businessmen in the World today. To imagine for one minute that they have not sought legal advice at the highest level prior to making this announcement is both reckless and naive. They have investment bank JP Morgan supporting them to the tune of $6 billion. Their top executives are giving up their UEFA positions and the clubs are leaving the European Club Association.

This is no half hearted effort doomed to failure as soon as the likes of the FA, UEFA or FIFA try to block it. These people are the owners of the clubs and the power they wield by being so is immense. The effect of throwing them out of domestic and European league competition would cause a backlash which would damage the whole fabric of the game as we know it.

I am totally against the proposal but never underestimate the business acumen of these people or think that this has not been the result of years of careful planning. The cat is now out of the bag and a tidal wave of opposition will follow but unless it can be backed up legally then these power mongers will ride the storm and eventually have their way.

Whilst agree that they’re hard nosed businessmen and have top legal council they will face stiff opposition across Europe and governments and UEFA/FIFA will come together. 
 

I expect sone concessions will be made regards tv money from uefa for CL/EL, there is too much opposition for this super league to fly as they intended. I would expect current players to speak out over coming days and divide to formalise. Levy is treading a very fine line and he’s doing it without consent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It shows that those that run the clubs only care about money. The fans want to see their club winning trophies. Those 15 top clubs who win trophies seem to stupid to understand only I club can win. For the EPL, Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal who have all added several trophies to their cabinet since in the ere of the EPL. In such a tough league, some may not win a trophy again!!! 

How will the players feel never playing for their country again in International competitions and friendlies? The clubs have agreed but will the players want to play in it? 

It may look a done deal, but I think there is every chance it may fail - well, that is my hope. 

COYS 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jay said:

It looks like it’s happening,I mean if Everton or wolves or even Celtic or rangers were offered a seat at Europe’s top table would they take it with the money being thrown around,you bet your sweet ass they would.

Jay I read somewhere that they would need approval of rest of premier league unless they actually leave the premier league. So it may only happen if they leave the premier league completely. 
I really can’t see it happening with this level of opposition, they may even bring in legislation to prevent it. Don’t get me wrong the money would save us but this is a sneaky move to do, it’s not the right thing to do. I mean football is hardly fair and fair play financial rules are a joke etc but creating a semi closed competition is low. We’re only there because of how Levy has built value of club without actually winning anything.

having said all this if we could play in a league without West Ham I’d be happy, although I hear they would be one of the 5 clubs that could be invited in.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'The fans have to be respected'

Former Manchester United forward Eric Cantona says "fans are the most important thing in football", and they must be "respected".

MMMM just like you respected them when you kung fu kicked into them crowd at Palace , get lost you french fancy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

'The fans have to be respected'

Former Manchester United forward Eric Cantona says "fans are the most important thing in football", and they must be "respected".

MMMM just like you respected them when you kung fu kicked into them crowd at Palace , get lost you french fancy

Tbf that pratt in the crowd that day deserved to be kung fu kicked by Eric, shame he didn’t knock him out really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dazza1976 said:

Tbf that pratt in the crowd that day deserved to be kung fu kicked by Eric, shame he didn’t knock him out really. 

totally disagree with that, cantona had just been sent off for being a cock , ok the abuse aimed at him wasnt related to the offence and shouldnt have been shared but there were other people including kids way too close for cantonas actions to be ok and what if another fan had got involved, ,cantona trapped in the stands being kicked to shit , lets guess whod have got the life bans and who got a few months 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

totally disagree with that, cantona had just been sent off for being a cock , ok the abuse aimed at him wasnt related to the offence and shouldnt have been shared but there were other people including kids way too close for cantonas actions to be ok and what if another fan had got involved, ,cantona trapped in the stands being kicked to shit , lets guess whod have got the life bans and who got a few months 

Valid points but nothing gives that fan the right for vitriol he directed towards Cantona or any player receives for that matter. My point is that guy/fan/yob was a moron and I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. Cantona being kicked to shit says it all, the fact that would be a risk says everything about some football fans. 

Of course Eric shouldn’t have reacted but that prat/palace fan deserved everything he got. Don’t need fans like that. 
Cantona served his ban, maybe he got off lightly,

maybe he didn’t. It wasn’t the best kick from memory 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 6:59 AM, Sumsio said:

I agree with this view, in so far as, it’s better to part of this break away than be left with the other lesser pack.

this has been in the making for a long while and no doubt that massive expenditure on our new stadium, the documentary, dare I say it, the appointment of Mourinho. All to raise our profile, as let’s face it out of all the teams in the league so far, we have been the least successful by a country mile.

but to be chosen and to be competing against the best and being able to attract the best players in the world vs the opposite, I know what I would choose.
 

 

There is always another side of the coin, but I don't have to agree with it. 

I don't like the fact that it has been foisted on us - no consultation with the players and fans.

It may be OK to have this Super League, but is it the best option for Spurs? As it stands, in the new ESL we are likely to be what we have been in the EPL - ie not a genuine top European club and never winning the title. We won't be playing in the League Cup, FA Cup, nor in a European completion with other chances for trophies. It doesn't automatically follow we can be a side challenging those current existing top European clubs simply because we are all in the same league. 

Had DL not signed us up to the Super League we would have been elevated to the top echelon in the EPL and handed a better chance to win English trophies. The fans may have preferred this as many of the players might, but weren't given the chance to voice an opinion. 

The alternative view has not changed mine. I am still against it. I have followed Spurs as an English team playing in English competitions which made our name. I am not interested in following them in a European league starting afresh. 

That is my alternative view. 

For the present COYS. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everton released a powerful statement.

do we really want spurs to go down this route and split football world like this?

 

if we were one of the 14 (or any club outside of the ‘6’) I’d be saying exactly the same as them, it’s shameful time to announce these plans given how all of football has been impacted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56813819

It is enticing to think spurs could be part of a euro super league but we don’t merit it and the format is wrong!

the clubs reputation will be tarnished forever by this, and if the super league fails what happens then? I can’t imagine the club would be allowed back into the premier league!

If I was the league I would kick the 6 clubs out of all competitions so that they would just have the super league fixtures. You can’t have your cake and eat it  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hypocrisy of all this absolutely disgusts me. I watch Neville and Carragher on SKY Sports get paid handsomely to bang on about how wrong it is and it will destroy grass roots football. Are you honestly trying to tell me that the instigators of this Super League have not approached media companies like Sky to see how much they would be prepared to pay them in order to show the matches ??. or are we to believe they have simply been given $6 billion by the bank without submitting any kind of business plan or profit forecast ??.

Although I am also reliably informed that they seem to have backing from streaming services and an American sports company as it’s an American bank and they will use ESPN to show the games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So why is Chelseas game tonight still on? Why is our game tomorrow still on?  Are the Premier League really that spineless, screw the yanks, the arabs  the commie , and dont mention Levy

Fans turn up to your grounds and create havoc , smash them up , trash your stadiums, burn and loot your merch shops 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

That won't happen - clubs only pay for the police inside the stadium footprint. The police are mandated to maintain order in all public places.

These clubs should pay mate cos the money they get is off the scale ,,,and the only people that will be paying that back is the supporters it won’t be normal prices ,,will it for your cold plastic seat and no drinks blah blah ,,,£310 mill for free really nothing is free you know you run a business the clubs will ramp up the money all over 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Borodin said:

The hypocrisy of all this absolutely disgusts me. I watch Neville and Carragher on SKY Sports get paid handsomely to bang on about how wrong it is and it will destroy grass roots football. Are you honestly trying to tell me that the instigators of this Super League have not approached media companies like Sky to see how much they would be prepared to pay them in order to show the matches ??. or are we to believe they have simply been given $6 billion by the bank without submitting any kind of business plan or profit forecast ??.

Although I am also reliably informed that they seem to have backing from streaming services and an American sports company as it’s an American bank and they will use ESPN to show the games.

It’s for them ,,,let them pay for crap boring predictable football,,they watch shite now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let the players decide,,,there not fucking donkeys ,,,what happens if they all resign ,,,,who’s gonna go to the new stadium to watch 5 matches all season wow and it’s gonna be empty ,,,how much a season ticket then hmmmm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lewis can’t come in England without paying some tax ,,,abramovich can’t get a visa ,,,the sheikh milk is a ghost ,,,the yanks will get fucked royally,,,the spainish are pricks ,,and Juventus are owened by Fiat ffs self centred wankers ,,,most couldn’t even raise a strong one to pull one off without help dickheads ,,,,save football my arse are they paying for the season tickets travel blah blah blah No idiots 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend has told me that DL has passed a message on to the meeting of the 14 EPL clubs via his friend the Brighton CEO that he only  signed up for the Super League to lever control over EUFA and he's now shocked the hostility it's caused. 

Spurs the first club to leave the Super League?  

COYS 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

A friend has told me that DL has passed a message on to the meeting of the 14 EPL clubs via his friend the Brighton CEO that he only  signed up for the Super League to lever control over EUFA and he's now shocked the hostility it's caused. 

Spurs the first club to leave the Super League?  

COYS 

Yep, it will all collapse I’m sure and all this will have been for nothing. Dragged the clubs name through the mud for an ill conceived, badly judged proposal. 
Will forever be tarnished as one of the six. 
 

what a shambles!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×